Housekeeping stepped on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney's travel insurance will cover it. Did you purchase it? If so you need to contact Travel Guard

I second the idea of checking with where you purchased for a warranty or accident replacement. DD's has the type of protection that covers whatever, even if you drop it or spill something on it.

But I would also check with the front desk just so they have a record of it, or you have a record of it for insurance / warranty purposes. Posters above are right, calling gets routed and takes too long to get to the proper channels, face to face and in writing is your best bet. I would not go with an accusatory tone, just explain what happened and say you just need to get something filed in writing to document the accident, you know the whole honey vs. vinegar thing :)

Sorry a sucky thing happened on your trip, hope you can put it past and still have a great time.

Regardless of fault, it does seem that the housekeeper did it, and that person really should KNOW what s/he did, if they don't already. So I would bring it right up to the desk and show the manager, making sure that they are aware of what happened, regardless of who is at fault.

We had a bag with empty plastic bottles from Disneyland Hotel concierge lounge (at DLR you can take the water bottles with you to the park/room) that we intended to recycle all at once. We also had a LARGE Disney bag, that held DS's stormtrooper blaster's box. The box was empty, and that's all the bag had in it. Our housekeeper for a few days ignored it, as she should have done. The housekeeper on our second to the last day...threw it all away.

The problem? We were going to use that box to put the blaster in, to then check in our SOFTsided luggage, rather than try to carry it on....so we were left boxless.

I didn't think anything would be given to us, but you bet your bippy I reported it, b/c housekeepers at a Disney resort should not throw away ANYTHING that is not BLATANTLY garbage. I understood why she must have done it, it had migrated closer to the garbage (the garbage can kept being moved by housekeeping, and the day before it had gotten over to where we would put our stroller when we were in the room and I thought nothing of the move, since our stuff had been in about the same place the whole time), and the can had migrated as I just mentioned, and without the stroller there I imagine she must have thought that it was close to garbage, therefore it WAS garbage. I felt that it was important for that person to know that that is NOT OK.

They wanted to hear about it. I let them know I wanted nothing, and did NOT want the housekeeper to get in trouble, but that they should make everyone aware that one person's garbage is another person's way to get something onto a plane without it breaking or making TSA very nervous.

As it was, TSA let that big stormtrooper blaster AND a huge plastic sword (from the Knight's hair package at BBB at DL) in our carryons...as we went through, I said out loud "the bag has toys in it", the TSA agent heard, she was SUPER sweet about it, but made sure that I knew she was being sweet and knew that we'd been at Disney...but to not try that again... We were lucky. The housekeeper's actions could have caused things to be broken, and it was worth letting them know.

And it's worth making sure that THIS housekeeper (or mousekeeper as it's WDW and they call them that there) knows that she did step on something important and expensive, and that she should have at minimum been sure to somehow let the guest know.

IMO.

So sorry to hear about the broken laptop screen, that is a bummer. Sadly, I agree with the others here, that the housekeeper really has no responsibility in this, it just wasn't a well thought out place to leave the lap top.

You can often find laptop screens for sale on Ebay relatively inexpensively. I don't know all of the vendors, but at least some of them provide instructions for removing the old broken screen, and installing the new one. If there is no insurance to cover it, and you aren't in a position to buy a new one, you might give that a try.

Regardless of fault, it does seem that the housekeeper did it, and that person really should KNOW what s/he did, if they don't already. So I would bring it right up to the desk and show the manager, making sure that they are aware of what happened, regardless of who is at fault.

We had a bag with empty plastic bottles from Disneyland Hotel concierge lounge (at DLR you can take the water bottles with you to the park/room) that we intended to recycle all at once. We also had a LARGE Disney bag, that held DS's stormtrooper blaster's box. The box was empty, and that's all the bag had in it. Our housekeeper for a few days ignored it, as she should have done. The housekeeper on our second to the last day...threw it all away.

The problem? We were going to use that box to put the blaster in, to then check in our SOFTsided luggage, rather than try to carry it on....so we were left boxless.

I didn't think anything would be given to us, but you bet your bippy I reported it, b/c housekeepers at a Disney resort should not throw away ANYTHING that is not BLATANTLY garbage. I understood why she must have done it, it had migrated closer to the garbage (the garbage can kept being moved by housekeeping, and the day before it had gotten over to where we would put our stroller when we were in the room and I thought nothing of the move, since our stuff had been in about the same place the whole time), and the can had migrated as I just mentioned, and without the stroller there I imagine she must have thought that it was close to garbage, therefore it WAS garbage. I felt that it was important for that person to know that that is NOT OK.

They wanted to hear about it. I let them know I wanted nothing, and did NOT want the housekeeper to get in trouble, but that they should make everyone aware that one person's garbage is another person's way to get something onto a plane without it breaking or making TSA very nervous.

As it was, TSA let that big stormtrooper blaster AND a huge plastic sword (from the Knight's hair package at BBB at DL) in our carryons...as we went through, I said out loud "the bag has toys in it", the TSA agent heard, she was SUPER sweet about it, but made sure that I knew she was being sweet and knew that we'd been at Disney...but to not try that again... We were lucky. The housekeeper's actions could have caused things to be broken, and it was worth letting them know.

And it's worth making sure that THIS housekeeper (or mousekeeper as it's WDW and they call them that there) knows that she did step on something important and expensive, and that she should have at minimum been sure to somehow let the guest know.

IMO.

Ok I have some issues and believe me I am not trying to flame or start world war 3 but Have you ever worked at a hotel???? Yes you may have had the same housekeeper for the first few days and she may have realized your intentions with the bag and bottles but on that day in question you may have had a differant housekeeper!!!! Once agian I am a housekeeper and I have had the similar issues trying to figure out if it is trash or not So if yo keep something like a empty box or a bag with empty bottles you should have marked it with a note please do throw away... As a housekeeper I can read the guest mind to whether or not figure out if it is trash or not... I am sorry that you feel that way but we do not know if the housekeeper reported or not so how can we go accusing her of not...

Whoa, that really sucks. I'm so sorry that your screen broke! I've had my laptop's screen break while on warranty and Dell had no problem taking it back and replacing the laptop. Hopefully your laptop is still on warranty, if not, and if you can't get it fixed by insurance, I'm sure you'll be able to get a new screen to replace it with from the manufacturer at a price. I hope it all works out for you. Let us know what happened.

On a side note, I'm really surprised at how many DISers jump at the opportunity to scold someone. A little compassion here? The OP admitted they were at fault. Chill out peeps.
I don't really see anyone scolding the OP...they asked for our opinion and people are giving it.:confused3

Here's mine...no, Disney is not responsible for the laptop..I put mine in my locked suitcase, or in the safe. I'd be really surprised if the manufacturer would replace it either..usually those policies don't cover negligence on the owner's part. And placing it on the floor just isn't very smart.

Let's see... What would Judge Judy say about this ?

"Did the housekeeper do something wrong ? Should she be expected to look under every of the dozens of beds she makes each day to make sure there aren't any laptops she might step on ? Is she at fault ? Of course not, don't be ridiculous, Madam. You're not listening. Put your listening ears on...

Now, she may have felt something when she stepped on it, and it would have been nice if she reported that to her manager, but we have no way of knowing if she felt anything or not. Bottom line, laptops do not belong under the bed."

^ Boy,she's a mean one... ;)
Ha!! Great post..I could just hear Judge Judy saying this:rotfl:...love Judge Judy.:thumbsup2

I had my laptop slid underneath the bed but apparently not far enough. I come back from MK today and there is a nice V shaped crack in my screen. There is a shoeprint on the top of it (no one in our gang has this design on our shoes). My husband called the front desk but no one as of yet has called us back. Should I walk it down there? I know I should have put it up but I didn't think someone would step on it. Should they be held responsible?

Sorry that happened but I have to say that they are not responsible. I would have recommended placing your laptop in a drawer or up high but you should never place one on the floor. Many hotels do try to vaccuum under beds if they are able to so it would have been at risk for damage from that as well.

Again I am sorry that happened. Do you have an extended accidental damage warranty on it?? Just wondering as I have a 4 year one on my Dell because I was worried about possible accidents.

This is not directed to anyone that actually gave the op advice, but goodness, is it necessary to keep telling this person that it is their own fault?!?! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but should we really be beating a dead horse. I'm sure the person feels bad enough without be compared to or treated like a 4 year old.

So Sorry that we all don't read the responses before actually answerring. You never know what other responses have been given so I answer then read if I have time to read the rest. And if you don't like the responses than really you don't have to read them. :confused3

Yeah ok here we go:

I went to the front desk after not hearing anything. The front desk manager had the housekeeping manager call me. I admitted I took full responsibility about the laptop being on the floor. I know I shouldn't have done it, but I did so already and over with. Anyway, when I talked to him I was very calm, telling him that the only thing that ticked me off was I didn't receive any kind of note from the housekeeper stating the she may have damaged my laptop. There was a footprint and wet glove smears on the top of it so I know she knew she stepped on it. I had been putting it in the cabinet at night. He offered a comp because he felt bad. I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted so I took it. The computer is actually rented so the renter's insurance will cover the damage.

Finally, to all of the posters who had true compassion for me, thanks. For everyone else who grilled me, not necessary. Why do you feel the need to do it? BTW, I am 30 something, not 4. So please don't compare me to what a 4 year old does.

Thanks.

The difference is that your 4 year old "left" her Barbie on the floor. She wasn't even trying to be responsible by placing it out of harms way.

The OP "placed" the laptop under the bed, at least trying to be responsible, (even though it was a bad attempt) in an effort to protect it.

Im having trouble undrstanding your logic between 2 completely different scenarios here....your comparison makes no sense. Your moral only applies to your daughter....who is 4.....so she cant be 'expected' to be smarter than a 4 year old....and therefore makes your moral......well....useless.

:rotfl:

In this case placed and left are the same thing. Either way the essentials are the same: don't leave your stuff in a place where it can be damaged and get upset when someone accidentally damages it. There's no scenario I can think of where half under a hotel room bed is a safe place for a laptop.

OP

Look, the reason you got some judgement- at least from me- is because you were asking if Disney should be responsible for the damage. Its clear from your description that you were a little careless with the laptop, albeit unintentionally so. Who among us has not been a little careless on occasion? I know I have. The difference is that I don't ask if its anyone else's responsibility to compensate for my mistakes.

Based on your subsequent posts it looks like you weren't really looking for a handout. The thing is that we have all seen a gazillion posts here on the Dis from somebody that had something minor that "ruined the magic" and now wants Disney to compensate for it. After a while it gets kinda old.

So there you have it. If you had simply posted that your laptop had been broken after being left on the floor and that it sucks, you would have gotten sympathy from me, and I suspect, from others.

In any case, glad its insured and resolved. Have a lovely vacation.

Hi, sorry about your laptop. I worked at a hotel, in housekeeping and at the front desk and have heard and seen everything.
At least OP is taking responsability for her actions,some people go nuts on the employees, screaming at your face for all kinds of things. You did good OP.

Yeah ok here we go:

I went to the front desk after not hearing anything. The front desk manager had the housekeeping manager call me. I admitted I took full responsibility about the laptop being on the floor. I know I shouldn't have done it, but I did so already and over with. Anyway, when I talked to him I was very calm, telling him that the only thing that ticked me off was I didn't receive any kind of note from the housekeeper stating the she may have damaged my laptop. There was a footprint and wet glove smears on the top of it so I know she knew she stepped on it. I had been putting it in the cabinet at night. He offered a comp because he felt bad. I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted so I took it. The computer is actually rented so the renter's insurance will cover the damage.

Finally, to all of the posters who had true compassion for me, thanks. For everyone else who grilled me, not necessary. Why do you feel the need to do it? BTW, I am 30 something, not 4. So please don't compare me to what a 4 year old does.

Thanks.
Again, no one grilled you...you asked if Disney should take responsibility and most people said no. They said no because the laptop was damaged because you didn't treat it properly...expensive electronics don't belong on the floor. Most kids would know that actually.

It's just annoying when people put up a post and then complain that other people are unsympathetic when the answers aren't what they want to hear.:confused3

That said, glad this worked out for you..maybe it'll be a learning experience.

well if i had that happen to me? i wouldnt really hold them blame because you did leave on the floor.:guilty: what i would have done is either put it back in my suitcase or in the drawers somewhere! :confused3

Yeah ok here we go:

Thanks.

If it was your own fault as you stated then why grill the mousekeeper for a problem you created yourself?

i just have my 2 cents to add as well.

1. no disney shouldn't be held responsible.

2. how many of us wonder how much the price of disney goes up because of all the comps they hand out. especially when something like this is not the fault of disney employees. :confused3

Now for some conjecture and imagination.

You're the head Mousekeeper (should I say Mouse King or Mouse Queen?) One of your subordinates comes to you and says, "I accidentally stepped on somebody's laptop. I heard something "crack" but I did not take a closer look. I didn't see it because it was just under the bed, hidden by the bedspread."

Would you dish out disciplinary action?

Is it better that the incident be reported or not reported as soon as it happened?

Now if the person who stepped on it heard through the grapevine that others were severely disciplined, then s/he might have taken the laptop outright and hid it among the dirty sheets and towels in the pushcart and when s/he got to a trashcan, quietly disposed of it there.

I don't believe that most of the posters here were being mean,unsympathetic or comparing the OP to a 4 yr old..Most said they are sorry the lap top was damaged,but Disney is not responsible for it. It was nice that the OP was comped for something that was ultimately a bad error in judgement.FWIW,When you post on a public forum you will get answers, many of which you won't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter