Housekeeping stepped on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not directed to anyone that actually gave the op advice, but goodness, is it necessary to keep telling this person that it is their own fault?!?! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but should we really be beating a dead horse. I'm sure the person feels bad enough without be compared to or treated like a 4 year old.

The OP asked a question, people are answering it. There is not a limit on the number of people who are allowed to respond.

Now for some conjecture and imagination.

You're the head Mousekeeper (should I say Mouse King or Mouse Queen?) One of your subordinates comes to you and says, "I accidentally stepped on somebody's laptop. I heard something "crack" but I did not take a closer look. I didn't see it because it was just under the bed, hidden by the bedspread."

Would you dish out disciplinary action?

Is it better that the incident be reported or not reported as soon as it happened?

Now if the person who stepped on it heard through the grapevine that others were severely disciplined, then s/he might have taken the laptop outright and hid it among the dirty sheets and towels in the pushcart and when s/he got to a trashcan, quietly disposed of it there.

I think it would help a lot if the guests didn't see the CM and mousekeepers as there personnel servants ore sl... that other nasty word.

We just put the lop top on the table and leave it there. No hiding, no I don't trust housekeeping.
Never had a problem.

You know...what I don't understand is...a person comes on here. Says they were careless with their laptop. Asks SPECIFICALLY if housekeeping should be held responsible for breaking it (NOT just "leaving a note" about it)

People say no. More than one says no. Some people get offended that so many people said no.

Who gets dibs on posting?

I think the OP realizes she made a MISTAKE. We all do. but even still, to step on something and not make note of it.. kind of sucks on the mousekeepers part.

Im just glad it was insured. I know how I would feel. and look at it this way... she shared her story with everyone, and for those of us who arent "so responsible" maybe we will be now.

I posted back on page one and still stick with disney not at fault, but if mousekeeping knew they did it.
They should have said something. Instead they seemed to just try and slip by without being responsible for there action. Poor jugment on mousekeepings part.
\
Yeah ok here we go:

I went to the front desk after not hearing anything. The front desk manager had the housekeeping manager call me. I admitted I took full responsibility about the laptop being on the floor. I know I shouldn't have done it, but I did so already and over with. Anyway, when I talked to him I was very calm, telling him that the only thing that ticked me off was I didn't receive any kind of note from the housekeeper stating the she may have damaged my laptop. There was a footprint and wet glove smears on the top of it so I know she knew she stepped on it. I had been putting it in the cabinet at night. He offered a comp because he felt bad. I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted so I took it. The computer is actually rented so the renter's insurance will cover the damage.

Finally, to all of the posters who had true compassion for me, thanks. For everyone else who grilled me, not necessary. Why do you feel the need to do it? BTW, I am 30 something, not 4. So please don't compare me to what a 4 year old does.

Thanks.

Again, no one grilled you...you asked if Disney should take responsibility and most people said no. They said no because the laptop was damaged because you didn't treat it properly...expensive electronics don't belong on the floor. Most kids would know that actually.

It's just annoying when people put up a post and then complain that other people are unsympathetic when the answers aren't what they want to hear.

That said, glad this worked out for you..maybe it'll be a learning experience

Ok, this is a Disney board, and I am feeling NO magic at all. There is no need to be snippy and act like this woman's mother, or wicked step-mother. What are you all getting out of being so rude and jumping out with all the harsh comments? Not necessary. To the OP, sorry about what happened, I think you handled the situation very appropriately, enjoy your trip! To all of those not so magical posters, I don't think any of you are the type of people Walt imagined in his parks, sorry. Please reconsider your hurtful words next time, before someone drops a house on you too. :goodvibes

Ok I have some issues and believe me I am not trying to flame or start world war 3 but Have you ever worked at a hotel???? Yes you may have had the same housekeeper for the first few days and she may have realized your intentions with the bag and bottles but on that day in question you may have had a differant housekeeper!!!! Once agian I am a housekeeper and I have had the similar issues trying to figure out if it is trash or not So if yo keep something like a empty box or a bag with empty bottles you should have marked it with a note please do throw away... As a housekeeper I can read the guest mind to whether or not figure out if it is trash or not... I am sorry that you feel that way but we do not know if the housekeeper reported or not so how can we go accusing her of not...

Totally agree. I worked in a hotel at registration and I also filled in for housekeeping when someone was out. If I would've left the box there "in case" you wanted to keep it, I could've possibly received a complaint that I am not doing my job because I left trash in there.

Yeah ok here we go:

I went to the front desk after not hearing anything. The front desk manager had the housekeeping manager call me. I admitted I took full responsibility about the laptop being on the floor. I know I shouldn't have done it, but I did so already and over with. Anyway, when I talked to him I was very calm, telling him that the only thing that ticked me off was I didn't receive any kind of note from the housekeeper stating the she may have damaged my laptop. There was a footprint and wet glove smears on the top of it so I know she knew she stepped on it. I had been putting it in the cabinet at night. He offered a comp because he felt bad. I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted so I took it. The computer is actually rented so the renter's insurance will cover the damage.

Thanks.

I figured you'd get something, mainly because you pursued the issue. I'm glad it was insured.

I bet the mousekeeper will be sliding her feet around under the bed for a while. She probably went "oh crap!" when she stepped on it. It would certainly have startled me. :eek:

Ok, this is a Disney board, and I am feeling NO magic at all.

Not everyone who posts here is wrapped in in the world of pixie dust, unicorns and rainbows. I'm happy that the concept of personal responsibility hasn't been lost on many of us.

I think the OP realizes she made a MISTAKE. We all do. but even still, to step on something and not make note of it.. kind of sucks on the mousekeepers part.

This could be construed as an admission of liability on the mousekeeper's part, which is why you won't get apologies, etc. when something like this happens.

For those of you using the "hide it under the bed", "hide it in the suitcase" or other "creative measures" may I suggest spending $25 bucks and buying a cable lock which is much harder to break then the "hiding spots"

And Disney (or any hotel) will not take responsiblity when it's gone or broken. And look at it from thier point of view... how do they know you really had it and/or didn't bring it broken.

And to the complaints that this thread doesn't have pixie dust. Sorry, but reality is reality. What would you perfer... we lie to make the OP happy?

I dont think we are ganging up on the OP but some of us are just voicing opionions. When you tell us about things that go wrong at Disney or any other hotel and the root cause was a problem that you created it opens the door to alot of mixed opinions and comments. I am sure that the housekeeper that did this feels terriable and if she does not shame on her. But we really dont know what she did so you can not say that she did or not and as far as my comments these are the true facts of what i deal with being in the same type of job that the employee in question does. Travelers have to be more aware of how they leave the room for the day and know that when the room is serviced if it is trash , put it all together by the trash can and if yo want things saved put it not so close to the trash can... USE the safe and if things dont fit put in the drawer so its out of sight and then if there is an issue of going through the drawers then you have a right to pitch a fit. Beleive i was never aware of things before i started working at a hotel. It really opens your eyes to things... My intentions were never to flame the OP and I am very sorry that it happened but common sense has to play in when you stay at a hotel and leave for the day and you want your room serviced.

OP made a mistake, admittedly.

OP asked for opinions, and received many.

There shouldn't be any surprise some opinions didn't include pixie-dust-coated, we're sorry you made a mistake responses.

Welcome to reality.

As for my opinion: OP made a mistake and shouldn't expected anything from Disney or Mousekeeping. OP brought up the topic, IMO, not to bring notice to the issue, but in hopes of support and advice on how to receive compensation. If OP really didn't expect any compensation, OP wouldn't have accepted any.

Not everyone who posts here is wrapped in in the world of pixie dust, unicorns and rainbows. I'm happy that the concept of personal responsibility hasn't been lost on many of us.

This could be construed as an admission of liability on the mousekeeper's part, which is why you won't get apologies, etc. when something like this happens.
I agree totally. My first thought was that if the mousekeeper knew they stepped on it, they should have left a note. However that would be an admission of liability and the mousekeeper has no way of knowing that it wasn't like that before. Here's what I mean. Someone in your group breaks the screen on your laptop. You set it under the bed just enough for someone to be able to step on it if they are making the bed, but far enough that it can't be seen. The mousekeeper steps on it while making the bed. They look under the bed, pull it out, sees that the screen is broken. At this point the mousekeeper has no way of telling if they broke it or if it was already broken. However if they leave a note saying they were sorry for stepping on it, then that is an admission of liability. I'm sure that is not what happened, but you have to look at this from Disney's point. I am sure there are many people who have done things like this to scam Disney out of money.
Ok, this is a Disney board, and I am feeling NO magic at all. There is no need to be snippy and act like this woman's mother, or wicked step-mother. What are you all getting out of being so rude and jumping out with all the harsh comments? Not necessary. To the OP, sorry about what happened, I think you handled the situation very appropriately, enjoy your trip! To all of those not so magical posters, I don't think any of you are the type of people Walt imagined in his parks, sorry. Please reconsider your hurtful words next time, before someone drops a house on you too. :goodvibes
So, just curious how many time a day you call the kettle black? Honestly, I think yours was one of the most "unmagical post".

me!

Dubs!

I agree, Robo gets dibs on posting! :lmao:

Ok, this is a Disney board, and I am feeling NO magic at all. There is no need to be snippy and act like this woman's mother, or wicked step-mother. What are you all getting out of being so rude and jumping out with all the harsh comments? Not necessary. To the OP, sorry about what happened, I think you handled the situation very appropriately, enjoy your trip! To all of those not so magical posters, I don't think any of you are the type of people Walt imagined in his parks, sorry. Please reconsider your hurtful words next time, before someone drops a house on you too.

Tink412, I see you are kinda new here. The posters on this thread are actually quite restrained. You want to see some un-magical posting, wait till someone posts about how much they hate strollers/ECVs, yelling at other people's kids, etc etc. Disney trip planning forum or not, opinions can get pretty heated!!!! ;)

Yeah ok here we go:

Finally, to all of the posters who had true compassion for me, thanks. For everyone else who grilled me, not necessary. Why do you feel the need to do it? BTW, I am 30 something, not 4. So please don't compare me to what a 4 year old does.

Thanks.

I'm glad something was done and that you're laptop can be fixed with the renter's insurance. Hope you have a great vacation!

I am glad that you had insurance on the laptop....people here can jump really fast, especially if it is Disney negative!!!!!

I agree with you, that a note saying I am sorry I stepped on your laptop would have been nice. You both had an accident with the laptop.....You admitted you left it on the floor and thye should have admitted they stepped on it!

Have a great day. I am sorry you had this upset while on vacation!

Charleyann

. . . OP brought up the topic, IMO, not to bring notice to the issue, but in hopes of support and advice on how to receive compensation . . .

1) But, I think that is the exact problem.
2) And the reason for negative comments.
3) The OP is trying to get compensation for something not Disney fault.
4) WORSE, the OP wants compensation that is fully covered by insurance.
5) To some of us, this sounds like double-dipping.
6) Pretty much like getting extra money at Disney's expense.

NOTE: I once heard a term that described recieving compensation, then filing an insurance claim.

I had my laptop slid underneath the bed but apparently not far enough. I come back from MK today and there is a nice V shaped crack in my screen. There is a shoeprint on the top of it (no one in our gang has this design on our shoes). My husband called the front desk but no one as of yet has called us back. Should I walk it down there? I know I should have put it up but I didn't think someone would step on it. Should they be held responsible?

Sorry that happened. Next time just keep it on the table/desk, whatever table surface is in your room, that way it can't get stepped on.

That was nice of them to comp you, and I'm glad it's covered in your insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter