Housekeeping stepped on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it interesting that the OP "neglected" to state in the first post that it was a rental, and fully insured. With that knowledge, the OP KNEW that it was covered, so accidents aside, it appears the OP was trying to get on the "give me something for free" bandwagon. Like several previous posters hav stated, no wonder the cost of WDW goes up, everyone seems to feel entitled to compensation when THEY make a mistake.

and for what its worh, an easy way to prove something was there, is do what I have learned to do when traveling. when I get to a hotel room, I take my trusty small digital camera, take a picture of the room (damages?) take a picture of the newspaper (date) and close up of the room phone (room number) and my laptop on the desk with the logon screen showing (it was there and it works) I then take a close up of the laptop label with the serial number and model. It sounds like a lot, but it takes about five minutes at most.

When traveling with DW, we also take a picture of any electronics she has (kindle) plus any jewelry etc.

I leave it on my camera, or if a longer stay, download to my computer and send it to myself as an e-mail attachment on a second account.

The OP asked a question, people are answering it. There is not a limit on the number of people who are allowed to respond.

You're right, they did ask a question. And you're right; there is no limit on responses. I guess I just didn't think so many people would so happily tell someone how wrong they were, or find it necessary to keep saying the same thing over and over agin. Nor did I feel that all the responses were appropriate. That's my opinion (right or wrong), and you have yours (right or wrong)

I found it interesting that the OP "neglected" to state in the first post that it was a rental, and fully insured. With that knowledge, the OP KNEW that it was covered, so accidents aside, it appears the OP was trying to get on the "give me something for free" bandwagon. Like several previous posters hav stated, no wonder the cost of WDW goes up, everyone seems to feel entitled to compensation when THEY make a mistake.

and for what its worh, an easy way to prove something was there, is do what I have learned to do when traveling. when I get to a hotel room, I take my trusty small digital camera, take a picture of the room (damages?) take a picture of the newspaper (date) and close up of the room phone (room number) and my laptop on the desk with the logon screen showing (it was there and it works) I then take a close up of the laptop label with the serial number and model. It sounds like a lot, but it takes about five minutes at most.

When traveling with DW, we also take a picture of any electronics she has (kindle) plus any jewelry etc.

I leave it on my camera, or if a longer stay, download to my computer and send it to myself as an e-mail attachment on a second account.

And...

They still aren't liable and still aren't going to pay! Sorry, but...... :confused3

If you don't want it lost/stolen LOCK it up or don't take it. Don't think that "I know have proof and the hotel will pay" they won't!

OP, sorry your laptop got broken. It doesn't really matter if it was your fault or not. It is broken, and it sucks to have to deal with it on vacation!

Giving her/him the benefit of the doubt, I hope your housekeeper is not reprimanded for this!

Glad you can get it fixed.

Have a great rest of your trip!

Let's see... What would Judge Judy say about this ?

"Did the housekeeper do something wrong ? Should she be expected to look under every of the dozens of beds she makes each day to make sure there aren't any laptops she might step on ? Is she at fault ? Of course not, don't be ridiculous, Madam. You're not listening. Put your listening ears on...

Now, she may have felt something when she stepped on it, and it would have been nice if she reported that to her manager, but we have no way of knowing if she felt anything or not. Bottom line, laptops do not belong under the bed."

^ Boy,she's a mean one... ;)
You forgot. . .

"Put your hand down. . .madam, madam, put your hand down. PUT IT DOWN!!!

I am talking now, you aren't talking, PUT. . .YOUR. . .HAND. . .DOWN

Man I love that woman.

1) But, I think that is the exact problem.
2) And the reason for negative comments.
3) The OP is trying to get compensation for something not Disney fault.
4) WORSE, the OP wants compensation that is fully covered by insurance.
5) To some of us, this sounds like double-dipping.
6) Pretty much like getting extra money at Disney's expense.

NOTE: I once heard a term that described recieving compensation, then filing an insurance claim.

Is the term Insurance Fraud?

Did I win a prize?

To all of those not so magical posters, I don't think any of you are the type of people Walt imagined in his parks, sorry.

I have a letter from Walt Disney to my father in which he brainstorms the plot of what became Captain EO.

Oddly, the letter has an incriminating shoe print on it, as well.

And...

They still aren't liable and still aren't going to pay! Sorry, but...... :confused3

If you don't want it lost/stolen LOCK it up or don't take it. Don't think that "I know have proof and the hotel will pay" they won't!

Sorry, I should have qualified that.

that reason that take the pictures is for filing an insurance claim on my homeowners if something is stolen during my/our stay at a hotel.

It is an easy way to "prove" that I had it with me. plus if I have to file a report with the local police, it really helps to have proof that you had the item in the first place.

I (and others) started doing that when a co-workers hotel room was broken into while he was at dinner, and he lost a "company" laptop and some other items. The local police were happy to take a report, but wanted proof and/or serial numbers etc.

Lucky for us the IT people make us sign out the laptops by serial number and keep a receipt.

The detective suggested that method, and it is a pretty good idea, as it shows that you had the itmes with you, and helps you describe them and records the serial number. The idea is if you have a camera in your cell phone, you can snap the pictures and save them, then delete them when you leave.

Homeowners' insurance does not cover accidental breakage of personal property.

:thumbsup2
OP: sorry to hear about your laptop. Most insurance companies (disney included) have riders that can pay for damage done regardless of the negligence) so, they MAY actually have you fill out paperwork and submit it.
If not, it would seem that you may also have coverage under your credit card for accidental breakage (varies by card).
Best of Luck...I started to read some "OUCH" responses and stopped reading and just posting,. so if this is already resolved, I didn't know.

HOPE it works out for you............:grouphug:

Is the term Insurance Fraud?

Did I win a prize?

Yes.... one of my former coworkers is under investigation for "Insurance Fraud" He's a sleazeball and it serves him right!

By the way, my homeowners rider on a Digital camera covered me dropping the thing on the zoom lens and busting it years ago. (Don't have the rider anymore, camera costs have dropped too much to bother)

To all of those not so magical posters, I don't think any of you are the type of people Walt imagined in his parks, sorry. Please reconsider your hurtful words next time, before someone drops a house on you too. :goodvibes

Wow. That's pretty mean. Dropping houses on us. Hmm....pretty violent. Are you calling us witches? Name calling is mean.

You know, seriously though...you may think that we don't belong at Disney. But I think you're wrong. We're there enjoying ourselves. You're probably one of the ones that is crying for days thinking your whole trip was ruined because they spelled your name wrong on the cake.

Wow. That's pretty mean. Dropping houses on us. Hmm....pretty violent. Are you calling us witches? Name calling is mean.

You know, seriously though...you may think that we don't belong at Disney. But I think you're wrong. We're there enjoying ourselves. You're probably one of the ones that is crying for days thinking your whole trip was ruined because they spelled your name wrong on the cake.

Ok.. this is a bit harsh. Why do some people have to start a debate over EVERYTHING???!

Regarding the original post subject: Remind me never to post anything like this. I would be better off holding up a sign saying "throw rocks at my head"

I can't believe this thread is still going! (Actually, I can. It's the DIS we're talking about).
The OP admitted it was her responsibility, what more do we really want from her?

I can't believe this thread is still going! (Actually, I can. It's the DIS we're talking about).
The OP admitted it was her responsibility, what more do we really want from her?

Thank you. for real. Seriously... I came home and was like.. OMG I cant believe this thread.

and here I am adding to it.. I need to stop too. :rolleyes:

I think it's entirely possible she never even realized she broke the screen. Making the bed, feels herself step on something, pulls it out--it's a computer encased in metal. Whew! she says to herself. At least it's not a pair of glasses or something I could crush. She puts it back where this family seems to want it. She goes about the rest of her shift, never knowing that anything is wrong.
Just looking at a closed laptop, especially if you're not familiar with laptops, it's not immediately obvious that they're easily breakable. If a mousekeeper had to tell a supervisor or leave a note every time she stepped on something in a room, I doubt it would be possible to get their work done.
Just like OP, I would be disappointed if I came home and found my laptop cracked. Luckily, it sounds like everything worked out. I just don't think it's even fair to jump to the conclusion that the mousekeeper was trying to hide her mistake (you think she'd at least wipe the footprint and the glove mark off if she was).
--Kim in Kansas

First of all, you people are unbelievable. I was not trying to con money out of Disney or commit insurance fraud! Shame on you for thinking so. :sad2: I did not know this computer had insurance coverage for accidents until I called LATER that day after talking with the front desk. I was accepting and coming to terms that yes, I may have to pay for it myself. I wasn't looking for a handout. I asked you guys what if? Next, the housekeeping manager offered the comp and after telling him SEVERAL times I wasn't looking for any kind of comp but he wouldn't take no for an answer. He called me. He credited my KTTW card for an amount of money and guess what, I still to this hour haven't used it and probably won't. Not everyone in this God forsaken world are crooks. I am a God fearing Catholic that was raised with values and a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN. Sue me cause I made a mistake. You guys don't? Take that for what it's worth.....

Regardless of fault, it does seem that the housekeeper did it, and that person really should KNOW what s/he did, if they don't already. So I would bring it right up to the desk and show the manager, making sure that they are aware of what happened, regardless of who is at fault.

We had a bag with empty plastic bottles from Disneyland Hotel concierge lounge (at DLR you can take the water bottles with you to the park/room) that we intended to recycle all at once. We also had a LARGE Disney bag, that held DS's stormtrooper blaster's box. The box was empty, and that's all the bag had in it. Our housekeeper for a few days ignored it, as she should have done. The housekeeper on our second to the last day...threw it all away.

The problem? We were going to use that box to put the blaster in, to then check in our SOFTsided luggage, rather than try to carry it on....so we were left boxless.

I didn't think anything would be given to us, but you bet your bippy I reported it, b/c housekeepers at a Disney resort should not throw away ANYTHING that is not BLATANTLY garbage. I understood why she must have done it, it had migrated closer to the garbage (the garbage can kept being moved by housekeeping, and the day before it had gotten over to where we would put our stroller when we were in the room and I thought nothing of the move, since our stuff had been in about the same place the whole time), and the can had migrated as I just mentioned, and without the stroller there I imagine she must have thought that it was close to garbage, therefore it WAS garbage. I felt that it was important for that person to know that that is NOT OK.

They wanted to hear about it. I let them know I wanted nothing, and did NOT want the housekeeper to get in trouble, but that they should make everyone aware that one person's garbage is another person's way to get something onto a plane without it breaking or making TSA very nervous.

As it was, TSA let that big stormtrooper blaster AND a huge plastic sword (from the Knight's hair package at BBB at DL) in our carryons...as we went through, I said out loud "the bag has toys in it", the TSA agent heard, she was SUPER sweet about it, but made sure that I knew she was being sweet and knew that we'd been at Disney...but to not try that again... We were lucky. The housekeeper's actions could have caused things to be broken, and it was worth letting them know.

And it's worth making sure that THIS housekeeper (or mousekeeper as it's WDW and they call them that there) knows that she did step on something important and expensive, and that she should have at minimum been sure to somehow let the guest know.

IMO.

You complained about a maid throwing away garbage that you yourself atdmit had been moved near the garbage can. :lmao::lmao: That's too funny.

If you didn't want it to break, you shouldn't have had it where it could be broken. Your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter