Housekeeping stepped on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, that really sucks. I'm so sorry that your screen broke! I've had my laptop's screen break while on warranty and Dell had no problem taking it back and replacing the laptop. Hopefully your laptop is still on warranty, if not, and if you can't get it fixed by insurance, I'm sure you'll be able to get a new screen to replace it with from the manufacturer at a price. I hope it all works out for you. Let us know what happened.

On a side note, I'm really surprised at how many DISers jump at the opportunity to scold someone. A little compassion here? The OP admitted they were at fault. Chill out peeps.

Looks like you're SOL on that one, OP. The best place for a laptop is ALWAYS in a laptop bag. Whenever I leave the room, I put my laptop in its bag and then put the bag in my suitcase which I then put in a corner away from anything that requires cleaning.

Even if you got it on camera, the floor is always ground zero for problems to arise. Homeowner's insurance may cover it, but don't expect any miracles.

On a side note, I'm really surprised at how many DISers jump at the opportunity to scold someone. A little compassion here? The OP admitted they were at fault. Chill out peeps.

No - the OP admitted that she shouldn't have left it on the floor. Then she asked if Disney should be held responsible. I saw lots of people express sorrow (including me) that this happened, but pretty much everyone then went on to answer the OPs question by saying that the housekeeper should not be responsible.

I'm so sorry to hear what happened. It sucks.. Im pretty sure Disney wont take responsibilty for this.

wanna know what bugs me? The fact they stepped on it, knowingly Im sure. and just let it go.. I guess, what are they gona say or do:confused3

I never take a laptop... but if I ever did, I'll make sure to put it away..

They took a bottle of my Moms perfume once. She never said anything. Again, it wouldnt have mattered. bleh.

we need to be more responsible and lock valuables safely away.

1) My vote for the maid.
2) She could not have known it was under the bed.
3) As for feeling it, she probably thought it was a shoe under the bed.
4) Call your homeowners insurance.
5) After your deductible they should cover the depreciated value.

NOTE: To answer your question, "No", they should not be held responsible.

As for who should be held responsible, hard to say. I can't really say that I expect a maid to be looking out in case somebody left expensive equipment on the floor (partially obscured). Neither would I expect a Disney employee to break something and hope they didn't get discovered.

I'd recommend one of these in the future. They're available at most places that carry notebook computers and accessories; just about every notebook PC has a slot for such a device; lock it around the table or something. If the computer is gone when you return, well, there's also a very short list of people who might have been in the room.

We just locked a computer to the table and didn't worry about it when we were out and about. No problems.

This is not directed to anyone that actually gave the op advice, but goodness, is it necessary to keep telling this person that it is their own fault?!?! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but should we really be beating a dead horse. I'm sure the person feels bad enough without be compared to or treated like a 4 year old.

Let's see... What would Judge Judy say about this ?

"Did the housekeeper do something wrong ? Should she be expected to look under every of the dozens of beds she makes each day to make sure there aren't any laptops she might step on ? Is she at fault ? Of course not, don't be ridiculous, Madam. You're not listening. Put your listening ears on...

Now, she may have felt something when she stepped on it, and it would have been nice if she reported that to her manager, but we have no way of knowing if she felt anything or not. Bottom line, laptops do not belong under the bed."

^ Boy,she's a mean one... ;)

This is not directed to anyone that actually gave the op advice, but goodness, is it necessary to keep telling this person that it is their own fault?!?! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but should we really be beating a dead horse. I'm sure the person feels bad enough without be compared to or treated like a 4 year old.

I absolutely agree with you! Thank you!

I agree. Its bad enough her laptop was broken :sad2:

I am so sorry about your laptop. I am sure this will negatively impact your vacation and for that I am sorry. Call your homeowners insurance to report it and then forget about it until you get home and try and enjoy your vacation. If you have to get on the computer for work etc..find the nearest fedex kinkos and do the rental computer stations. as for fault... we have all done things in hindsight we regret I can off the top of my head think of a few that cost me $$$.

Hi OP,
Ok, so here's the thing: yesterday my four year old left her favorite Barbie on the floor. Her dad tromped through the house with his work boots on and arms full of stuff, didn't see it, stepped on it and its head popped off. She cried "Daddy broke Barbie" and we just told her that when she doesn't take good care of her things, bad things happen.

Moral of the story: be smarter than a 4 year old. You leave something on the floor, you risk it getting stepped on. :thumbsup2

Best,
FussyMonkey

The difference is that your 4 year old "left" her Barbie on the floor. She wasn't even trying to be responsible by placing it out of harms way.

The OP "placed" the laptop under the bed, at least trying to be responsible, (even though it was a bad attempt) in an effort to protect it.

Im having trouble undrstanding your logic between 2 completely different scenarios here....your comparison makes no sense. Your moral only applies to your daughter....who is 4.....so she cant be 'expected' to be smarter than a 4 year old....and therefore makes your moral......well....useless.

I'm so sorry to hear what happened. It sucks.. Im pretty sure Disney wont take responsibilty for this.

wanna know what bugs me? The fact they stepped on it, knowingly Im sure. and just let it go.. I guess, what are they gona say or do:confused3
Then again ... to be fair ... we don't know that the housekeeper DIDN'T report it, do we? At last count, the OP had not yet heard back from the Front Desk. They could well have been told by the HK that it happened, but OP doesn't know that yet.

:earsboy:

You may get something out of it but I wouldn't insist on them paying for it.

I wouldn't let it take over my vacation, accidents happen.

Brand new notebook PCs are like $500 so just resign yourself to buying another one. In July Microsoft is coming out with the new Windows operating system to fix the Vista mess. See if you can hold out until then.

Homeowners' insurance does not cover accidental breakage of personal property.

Most homeowners insurance has a $1,000 deductible so that's a non issue.

Whoa, that really sucks. I'm so sorry that your screen broke! I've had my laptop's screen break while on warranty and Dell had no problem taking it back and replacing the laptop. Hopefully your laptop is still on warranty, if not, and if you can't get it fixed by insurance, I'm sure you'll be able to get a new screen to replace it with from the manufacturer at a price. I hope it all works out for you. Let us know what happened.

Couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup2

A friend had the screen of his Dell laptop cracked during a flight because he packed it in his luggage. He sent it to Dell and had it repaired for a very reasonable price - maybe $150? I don't exactly remember, but that may be a possibility of you have the option with whomever you purchased the laptop from. So sorry that happened to you!!

So here is my thoughts being a Housekeeper at a hotel up here in MI. I come across this so many times when I am cleaning a room that people leave there belongings beside the bed and the line up their things between the wall and the bed (if its a room with two beds) personally when I see a lot of things lined up I try to make the bed the best I can from the one side that i can make it. But when I service a room and make the beds I am hoping that the people in the room are putting there valuables in the safe or putting them out of sight. I am sure that the housekeeper did not do this on purpose and if she realized that she did she may have reported it to her boss. and they will contact you very soon (hopefully) AT my hotel we are not allowed to move peoples belongings and if I come across things in the bed I will leave a note stating why there bed was not made but like I said when I go into a room I am not looking under the bedskirts for laptops or anything else. I am very sorry that this happened to the OP but its a lesson learned.... thats why we pay for the safe and encourage people to either leave it in the safe or take it to the front desk while they are gone. I also tell people that if you plan on bringing alot of things like that i your room and are in the habit of leaving things on the floor maybe put out the do not distrub on the door so things like this wont happen. Once agian sorry to hear this but I agree Disney is not responsibale for this one:confused3

Most homeowners insurance has a $1,000 deductible so that's a non issue.

Deductibles vary, could be $250, $500, whatever. Regardless of the deductible, unless you've purchased "all risk" coverage for your personal property (which can be very expensive), your personal property is covered for damaged due to named perils, such as fire, lightning, theft, accidental discharge of water, etc. Dropping, stepping on, or any other type of careless action which results in damage is not a covered peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter