Hockey Moms or Dads unite

That's great!!
My DS12 came in 2nd place at the Waterville deep freeze tournament. He had a blast!! He got to ski for 2 days too.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We are winding up the season. Two games this weekend, one at home and one in Northern Illinois and then next weekend we are at a Indianapolis tournament. Kind of sad that the season is ending but i am so ready for winter to be over!

That's great!!
My DS12 came in 2nd place at the Waterville deep freeze tournament. He had a blast!! He got to ski for 2 days too.

Good job!! I was hoping our tournament would be someplace cool but not this year.

This season has been crazy with the girls playing for two different associations. Both state tournaments are the weekend of the 14th.

DD13's state tournament will finish that weekend. They are playing in one other tournament at the end of February, and if they don't make regionals, they will be done for the season. It has been a tough season for them. They are quite talented, but their goalie is a bit weak, and they can't seem to score enough to overcome that. They also started off being a very close team, but there have been some rifts towards the end of the season, which have made things a little more stressful in the locker room.

DD13 was moved from defense, where she has always played, to offense a couple of weeks ago. She hated it at first. She did not have a clue what she was doing and kept getting short-shifted. I told her that she needs to go where the coaches think she is most valuable, and that playing another position will only make her a better player, but I almost cried the second game she came out on offense. However, she has figured it out and has been able to contribute, so I think she is enjoying it now. The injured player she replaced returned this week, but the coaches really like DD on offense, so I am not sure what is going to happen this weekend.

DD14's championship game will be March 8th. There are only three teams in their division, and DD14's team is the strongest one, so they fully expect to win states. Hopefully they are not feeling over-confident. DD14 has come a long way this season and has focused heavily on playing her position well. Her team all gets along pretty well, except that a late-season addition to the roster has created a bit of discontent.

This season has driven me nuts with all the traveling and all of us going in different directions all the time. I have not had time to get a hair cut. My house is a disaster. We never have any clean clothes or food. I don't care if I never stay in a hotel room again. But we have had so much fun. I will miss it next year when the kids move on to the high school team!

This season has been crazy with the girls playing for two different associations. Both state tournaments are the weekend of the 14th. DD13's state tournament will finish that weekend. They are playing in one other tournament at the end of February, and if they don't make regionals, they will be done for the season. It has been a tough season for them. They are quite talented, but their goalie is a bit weak, and they can't seem to score enough to overcome that. They also started off being a very close team, but there have been some rifts towards the end of the season, which have made things a little more stressful in the locker room. DD13 was moved from defense, where she has always played, to offense a couple of weeks ago. She hated it at first. She did not have a clue what she was doing and kept getting short-shifted. I told her that she needs to go where the coaches think she is most valuable, and that playing another position will only make her a better player, but I almost cried the second game she came out on offense. However, she has figured it out and has been able to contribute, so I think she is enjoying it now. The injured player she replaced returned this week, but the coaches really like DD on offense, so I am not sure what is going to happen this weekend. DD14's championship game will be March 8th. There are only three teams in their division, and DD14's team is the strongest one, so they fully expect to win states. Hopefully they are not feeling over-confident. DD14 has come a long way this season and has focused heavily on playing her position well. Her team all gets along pretty well, except that a late-season addition to the roster has created a bit of discontent. This season has driven me nuts with all the traveling and all of us going in different directions all the time. I have not had time to get a hair cut. My house is a disaster. We never have any clean clothes or food. I don't care if I never stay in a hotel room again. But we have had so much fun. I will miss it next year when the kids move on to the high school team!

It's really tough for kids to switch positions like that.
My DS always played D until 2 yrs. ago when he said he was sick of it. He switched last year and loved it. This year he has had to fill in on D a couple of times bc his coach knows he can. He is truly a better player bc he can play both LW and D. His barber ( who is also the H.S. Asst coach where he'll go), said its awesome he can play both bc it makes him more versitile in H.S.

I will also be sad when the seasons over but I am also so ready for the end of winter!!!!

His team hasn't done well this year so I'm sure we won't go very far in playoffs, but that's ok w me lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Kids had a rough game yesterday they lost 5-0 l. They play at home today so hoping it goes a little better. I really never understood the need to have rules against yelling at referees up until this season. Yesterday's refs seemed so so biased. I am new to hockey so I am not sure how refs are selected or where they come from but it definitely seemed to the untrained eye that there was a bit of shadiness. The kids had fun for the most part I think. It also seems like they are a bit burnt out at the same time. My son is Squirt level and this is his first fall season. He played spring season last year as well but wants to play soccer for this spring.

They are so little still but seem to skate their hearts out. :)

I thought it was pretty cool that the Olympic woman's team had twins on it.

Mickeyboat,

Where are you located? DD14 is just returning today from a tourny in WI. Unfortunately, they lost all but the last game.

Squirts rallied today and won 8-2. Yay!!! Good way to end the regular season!! My son was thrilled and he had a lot of fun free skating with his friends after the game.

Next weekend is Gasoline Alley tournament :)

This weekend, my son and I had one of those magical moments that sometimes happens in youth hockey. His team participated in a travel tournament in Cleveland. It's often said that later in life kids don't remember the results of games or tournaments as much as the fun they had with their team off the ice and in the hotels. Well, this weekend we found out that this guy, a team coach in another age group, was in the room diagonal to us from our hotel room (seen posing with my son):

Holmstrom.jpg

Look familiar? (Hint: Look at my long-time signature!)

Here's the full story:

Sunday morning we got word that Tomas Holmstrom was downstairs in the lobby of the hotel. We weren't fully sure why he was there, but we walked down and confirmed the reports were correct. He was talking to a couple of people and we didn't want to interrupt him. We later heard he was staying at the hotel with one of the other teams and his room was on our floor near the elevator. Our room was right across from the elevator! I looked and saw a cut out of a jersey with "Holmstrom" on it on the door diagonal to our room.

A while later, we had our room door cracked and my son, a teammate, and his dad and I were watching Olympic hockey on TV and we were talking about Tomas' career and the fact that he won a gold metal in 2006 with Sweden. At this point there was a knock on the door. We opened it, expecting it to be one of the boys' teammates or another parent, but to our amazement it was Holmstrom himself! I think he overheard us talking about him as he and his group waited for the elevator right outside our room. He said "hello" and exchanged news of how the tournament was going for each team. The elevator then arrived and he departed.

The photo above was taken later in the day. Each team staying at the hotel was given a conference room as a social gathering spot. We heard that Holmstrom was in his team's room with a couple of other adults, with the door open, and was more than happy to sign kids' sticks and give other autographs, chat, or pose for photos. We asked if we could come in and "bother" him for a moment... and Tomas waved us in. He was extremely accommodating with the kids at the hotel. He didn't shy away from people and ate the buffet breakfasts with everyone else there with the tournament. It was an awesome experience.

The fact that my son's team went 1-3 for the tournament will be the last thing either of us remember from this weekend in Cleveland! It's not often that you're in another state and discover that your long-time favorite (retired) NHL player is staying in the room across the hall from you... and he's more than happy to be enjoy the attention from others!

Geoff, that is so cool. He sounds like a class act!

A little off-topic, but I was at a Target in Traverse City this weekend and saw that they had a green t-shirt with the Wayne Gretzky quote "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." St. Patrick's Day is coming up.... Just thought I'd mention it to all you hockey moms and dads.

dispor - DD13 is playing in NH, DD14 is playing in VT. We live right on the state border.

GeoffM - how cool! Hockey parents are some of the best people I know, and it is nice to know that even pro players are great hockey parents, too.

Our weekend tournaments were eventful. DD14's team did advance to the state championship game which will be in March. They did have to play an extra game to get there, and they won in OT. They are having a hard time scoring right now for some reason, and really need to step it up if they think they are going to win states.

DD13's team made it to the semis where they faced the #1 seed, undefeated team who had easily beaten them twice during the regular season. I don't know what got into our team, but they played like I had never seen them play before. They were amazing. The game went into quadruple OT tied at 2, and we lost on a breakaway. It was heart-breaking, and I am not sure the team will ever get over it. But we are all so proud of them.

We have one more tournament and one more game to go, and then the season will be over. There is a short "Spring Fling" program for a couple of weeks after the season which the kids are thinking about doing before Spring try-outs in April. DD14 will move on to her high school team. We are undecided about DD13 - whether she will play U14, for the high school, or some combination of the two. There is a step-up day at the high school on Friday for 7th and 8th graders to see what a high school practice is like, and to meet the current high school players. That may help DD13 decide. I am so looking forward to practices right after school, equipment storage at the school, not paying the huge fees to play, and not having to travel all over creation for games.

Happy hockey to all!

This weekend, my son and I had one of those magical moments that sometimes happens in youth hockey. His team participated in a travel tournament in Cleveland. It's often said that later in life kids don't remember the results of games or tournaments as much as the fun they had with their team off the ice and in the hotels. Well, this weekend we found out that this guy, a team coach in another age group, was in the room diagonal to us from our hotel room (seen posing with my son): Look familiar? (Hint: Look at my long-time signature!) Here's the full story: Sunday morning we got word that Tomas Holmstrom was downstairs in the lobby of the hotel. We weren't fully sure why he was there, but we walked down and confirmed the reports were correct. He was talking to a couple of people and we didn't want to interrupt him. We later heard he was staying at the hotel with one of the other teams and his room was on our floor near the elevator. Our room was right across from the elevator! I looked and saw a cut out of a jersey with "Holmstrom" on it on the door diagonal to our room. A while later, we had our room door cracked and my son, a teammate, and his dad and I were watching Olympic hockey on TV and we were talking about Tomas' career and the fact that he won a gold metal in 2006 with Sweden. At this point there was a knock on the door. We opened it, expecting it to be one of the boys' teammates or another parent, but to our amazement it was Holmstrom himself! I think he overheard us talking about him as he and his group waited for the elevator right outside our room. He said "hello" and exchanged news of how the tournament was going for each team. The elevator then arrived and he departed. The photo above was taken later in the day. Each team staying at the hotel was given a conference room as a social gathering spot. We heard that Holmstrom was in his team's room with a couple of other adults, with the door open, and was more than happy to sign kids' sticks and give other autographs, chat, or pose for photos. We asked if we could come in and "bother" him for a moment... and Tomas waved us in. He was extremely accommodating with the kids at the hotel. He didn't shy away from people and ate the buffet breakfasts with everyone else there with the tournament. It was an awesome experience. The fact that my son's team went 1-3 for the tournament will be the last thing either of us remember from this weekend in Cleveland! It's not often that you're in another state and discover that your long-time favorite (retired) NHL player is staying in the room across the hall from you... and he's more than happy to be enjoy the attention from others!

That is so AWESOME!!!! What a thrill for both you and your son. :)

Geoff, that is so cool. He sounds like a class act! A little off-topic, but I was at a Target in Traverse City this weekend and saw that they had a green t-shirt with the Wayne Gretzky quote "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." St. Patrick's Day is coming up.... Just thought I'd mention it to all you hockey moms and dads.

I am looking for that shirt!!!! Thanks ;)

dispor - DD13 is playing in NH, DD14 is playing in VT. We live right on the state border.

GeoffM - how cool! Hockey parents are some of the best people I know, and it is nice to know that even pro players are great hockey parents, too.

Our weekend tournaments were eventful. DD14's team did advance to the state championship game which will be in March. They did have to play an extra game to get there, and they won in OT. They are having a hard time scoring right now for some reason, and really need to step it up if they think they are going to win states.

DD13's team made it to the semis where they faced the #1 seed, undefeated team who had easily beaten them twice during the regular season. I don't know what got into our team, but they played like I had never seen them play before. They were amazing. The game went into quadruple OT tied at 2, and we lost on a breakaway. It was heart-breaking, and I am not sure the team will ever get over it. But we are all so proud of them.

We have one more tournament and one more game to go, and then the season will be over. There is a short "Spring Fling" program for a couple of weeks after the season which the kids are thinking about doing before Spring try-outs in April. DD14 will move on to her high school team. We are undecided about DD13 - whether she will play U14, for the high school, or some combination of the two. There is a step-up day at the high school on Friday for 7th and 8th graders to see what a high school practice is like, and to meet the current high school players. That may help DD13 decide. I am so looking forward to practices right after school, equipment storage at the school, not paying the huge fees to play, and not having to travel all over creation for games.

Happy hockey to all!

Oh, then we don't play against each other. DD14 mainly plays in tournaments and showcases in Michigan. Had one in Erie and I think one in Pittsburgh as well. Will be going to Mid-Ams in March.

I thought if they played for a high school team, then they couldn't be rostered on another team. I thought it was a high school sports rule...?? Anybody know?

:cool1::cool1:

Hope everyone had a good summer. We did but we are all looking forward to this year's hockey season.

DD14 is going to dual-roster on our local association's U16 team and our high school team. She did a preseason clinic and started practicing with the U16 team last week. They played two games on Sunday and lost badly in both games. They played a regional, select, year-round team, so we didn't expect much, but at least we can see what we need to work on.

The high school team does not begin until November, and DD15 will play on that team as well. I am not sure that dual-rostering will work for DD14, but I told her I would give her a chance to prove to me that she can do it.

Our high school team is not very good, but I think the girls will have a lot of fun repping their school. They are not looking for Division I college scholarships - they just want to enjoy hockey. And I hope that lasts a lifetime for them.

Happy hockey season!

My son is Squirt level and we are playing for Tiering right now. We had games Saturday and Sunday and lost both. The kids won all their games last season in Tiering and lost all season long. They did win in the tournament games though. Maybe they will do better in regular season this year. Always a positive right? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter