Hockey Moms or Dads unite

Well, I figure I'd better check in on this thread!

My DS19 and DD13 are both goalies. DS played for his high school team but now he is in college and just playing men's league and tournaments. He works at our local rink during the summers and holidays.

DD13 is not currently playing. She played through peewees but decided it was too much once she started middle school. We don't have a girls team here and those boys start getting pretty big at bantam age! She's not quite old enough to play in the women's league yet. Next year, I think.

I'm also a hockey wife, my DH is a sports broadcaster and does play-by-play for our state University team, and the company that we own runs several college hockey league websites as well.:QUOTE]

Its a small world!!!!

Had to read this hockey thread and read your post.

We are from NH too and I read your post to my husband. My husband listens to your husbands broadcasts!!!! And apparently my son (19) played against your son when they were Bantams!!! How funny is that??? My son played for the Concord Capitals.

OP- our lives used to be dominated by hockey, but not anymore. I have two sons, the 19 year old and a 16 year old. Both started playing when they were five and were always on travel teams. Some weekends we would have 4-8 games. My husband would take one and I would take the other. We spent A LOT of time in the car!!!

My oldest played until he graduated high school. He now goes to college (where PP husband does the broadcast!!) he now plays floor hockey and broom ball for fun at college.

Two years ago, my youngest said he was done. He was burnt out from it. We were dissapointed at the time and hoped that he would change his mind. (So did the high school coach, as my son had a lot of talent.) We are fine with it now. My son joined the downhill ski racing team and absolutely LOVES it.

So, our days of running from hockey game to hockey game is over.

My husband still plays in a mens leaugue and helps out once in awhile with the high school team.

OMG!! My DS15 (who quit hockey this year) would LOVE a ski team!! That is so cool!
I wish we lived near the mtns. he enjoys skiing but we only get to go a couple times a year.

Another hockey mom here. We had our first house game of the season (a loss :-( ). DS has skated since he was 5 and has played on a team since he was 7. He now plays PeeWee Major in the House league and has played on the league's "Select" tournament team. He's hoping to make it again, but tryouts are still ongoing. DS has played all positions, including goalie, but he seems to have found his niche as a defenseman.

Another hockey mom here. We had our first house game of the season (a loss :-( ). DS has skated since he was 5 and has played on a team since he was 7. He now plays PeeWee Major in the House league and has played on the league's "Select" tournament team. He's hoping to make it again, but tryouts are still ongoing. DS has played all positions, including goalie, but he seems to have found his niche as a defenseman.

My DS11 is a peewee too. He plays on a B2 travel team.
This season has been kinda frustrating for the boys b/c they are a good team but the goalie just started playing. He used to be a floor hockey goalie so he's not that good on his skates.

My ds15 would love a ski team as well. We have a ski club but last year we didn't get any snow to go. We are south of Detroit. We did take a couple family trips to the upper peninsula to ski but one weekend it was so warm they skiied in T-shirts. Lol.

I so understand politics in hockey. That is the reason we pulled our other 2 out while they were young. I can honestly say I will be so glad when my oldest son is done. High stress levels will not be missed.
I must say, that's the only thing I don't miss about travel/HS hockey. There's a lot less stress with our son playing non-select House B vs select hockey. Sure there can still be some politics, some drama between parents, and some parents griping about their kid's playing time.... but it's a WHOLE lot less.

Just returned from a tourny in Troy, Michigan. My son is a squirt goalie. He was able to get his picture taken with the Stanley Cup! He was over the moon!
Never thought I'd grow to love hockey so much. Nothing but positive experiences for all of us.:thumbsup2

I am trying very hard to avoid the politics that goes on in our association. My girls are on the B level team for their age group, and I really hope they stay there next year. The year after that they should be able to play for our high school team.

So, can everyone share how they get rid of that horrible hockey funk smell from their hockey gear? I can only spray so much Febreeze. I tried this:

http://www.purehockey.com/elite-hockey-profresh-anti-bacterial-deodorizer-spray-18556

this weekend. The stuff smelled ok on its own, but when we put it back into the bags, the stench returned. And I sprayed the bags, too!

So, can everyone share how they get rid of that horrible hockey funk smell from their hockey gear? I can only spray so much Febreeze.
I think the only sure-fire solution is "gasoline and a match in the backyard!"

The problem is bacterial and other living organisms inside of the material. Spraying stuff only temporarily works... as everyone that's tried drier sheets, perfume balls, Fabreeze, etc. knows. About the only thing that "works" is the ozone lockers treatments that some hockey places offer for $25 or $30. However, unless the gear is DRY the effect is limited as the ozone gas cannot reach bacteria that's still protected inside of moisture.

About the only other thing that will help is to take care of the equipment. I know it's hard to get a tired kid to do it, but unpacking the bag after you get home from practice/games and laying out your stuff to dry will make a big impact... however, I know that this sometimes isn't practical if your kid has a 6 AM HS Varsity practice combined with an after-school practice and the bag sits in a car in the school parking lot all day.

We had two games this past weekend. Both losses. My DS12 scored the one and only goal for his team. There were girls on the other team and he got laid out a few times by them HA! My DH says they're acting like pansies this year. Got to get it together!

DS9 played so-so at his game. The puck tends to stick to the ice at the beginning if they're not frozen and this causes all sorts of bunching together and chaos for some reason. It's like watching squirts hockey all over again.

We're in rural Manitoba. There is nothing to do around here in the winter time but play hockey. I love it! We have A, B and C level teams here (A being best) and then AA and AAA for the very good players (this is for rural teams only-city hockey I believe has A1, A2 and A3 or something like that). My kids play B hockey. There is zero pressure. A lot of kids didn't even want to try out for A because of the pressure.

As for the smell. My kids stuff doesn't stink too bad. They absolutely have to take it out and air it out each and every time and they do it pretty much as soon as we get home.

DH is a goalie. He played for years and only gave it up last year because there was no time with two boys playing. I know he misses it, but he gets on the ice for practices a lot.

Who did you play today?? Did you get my PM? It is a small world!!!

My peewee age daughters team played CCC. She wasn't able to go to the game but her team won handily based on the score I saw.

My kids stuff doesn't smell that bad but when it gets real bad I wash as much as I can in the washing machine. If there is a nice sunny day I put all the gear outside on the deck too. I don't do this often though.

Aneille said:
My peewee age daughters team played CCC. She wasn't able to go to the game but her team won handily based on the score I saw.

My kids stuff doesn't smell that bad but when it gets real bad I wash as much as I can in the washing machine. If there is a nice sunny day I put all the gear outside on the deck too. I don't do this often though.

Is that the Cape cod canal team?? We haven't played them yet. I know it's a different div. so maybe they don't have a B2 team.

As for the smell!! We are guilty of not airing out the stuff enough so I know that's part of the reason. I do invest in a lot of febreeze. At least it smells good for a little while.

Hockey all the time!! :) That's what it was like for us for the past 4 years when both boys were playing. Now not so much just 4 days a week.
Hope your DD gets to play hockey again. The league we play in just started a girls league a couple of years ago. They have 3 divisions now. It's really great for the girls!!

She hasn't really been asking to play yet... I figure that she will get the bug again eventually. Unfortunately, she has grown quite a bit in the last year so when she decides to go back I'm going to have to buy new equipment. I'm sure you all can feel that pain! :rotfl2:

Its a small world!!!!

Had to read this hockey thread and read your post.

We are from NH too and I read your post to my husband. My husband listens to your husbands broadcasts!!!! And apparently my son (19) played against your son when they were Bantams!!! How funny is that??? My son played for the Concord Capitals.

OP- our lives used to be dominated by hockey, but not anymore. I have two sons, the 19 year old and a 16 year old. Both started playing when they were five and were always on travel teams. Some weekends we would have 4-8 games. My husband would take one and I would take the other. We spent A LOT of time in the car!!!

My oldest played until he graduated high school. He now goes to college (where PP husband does the broadcast!!) he now plays floor hockey and broom ball for fun at college.

Two years ago, my youngest said he was done. He was burnt out from it. We were dissapointed at the time and hoped that he would change his mind. (So did the high school coach, as my son had a lot of talent.) We are fine with it now. My son joined the downhill ski racing team and absolutely LOVES it.

So, our days of running from hockey game to hockey game is over.

My husband still plays in a mens leaugue and helps out once in awhile with the high school team.

It is a small world! My DS19 is at school there now too. I bet they know each other. My DS often says that he sees kids that he played against in hockey there at school.

I don't miss the crazy days of hockey with two kids playing that much. It was fun, but so time consuming. Plus, now that the kids don't play on the weekends I get to take advantage of our season tickets at the University more often. :)

She hasn't really been asking to play yet... I figure that she will get the bug again eventually. Unfortunately, she has grown quite a bit in the last year so when she decides to go back I'm going to have to buy new equipment. I'm sure you all can feel that pain! :rotfl2:

I definately feel your pain!! Although we do have 2 boys the younger rarely gets hand me downs b/c they are just to gross by then- ya know?

Can you share your experiences with this question? We are attending a tournament in January at Jay Peak. Does the team typically chip in for the coach's room? He does not have a daughter on the team.

When I used to manage and this has been quite awhile ago when I booked a tournament the tournament director gave us one room for free with the whole tournament package. But this was some time ago. Have you done fundraisers yet? Maybe if its not included they will use that money to pay for the non parent coach. Just a couple ideas.

Oh another note my ds15 was cleared to go back to hockey. Plus we got a call from the Varsity coach about having him come out for a new tryout either this Monday or next Monday depending on when football ends here. It would be so nice not to have a huge ice bill each month.. I don't want to get my hopes up but I keep saying to myself it sure would be nice to have that money to put towards my disney trips :rotfl2:

Can you share your experiences with this question? We are attending a tournament in January at Jay Peak. Does the team typically chip in for the coach's room? He does not have a daughter on the team.

Wish I could help with that one. I dont have any experience with a coach not having a kid on the team.

When I used to manage and this has been quite awhile ago when I booked a tournament the tournament director gave us one room for free with the whole tournament package. But this was some time ago. Have you done fundraisers yet? Maybe if its not included they will use that money to pay for the non parent coach. Just a couple ideas.

Oh another note my ds15 was cleared to go back to hockey. Plus we got a call from the Varsity coach about having him come out for a new tryout either this Monday or next Monday depending on when football ends here. It would be so nice not to have a huge ice bill each month.. I don't want to get my hopes up but I keep saying to myself it sure would be nice to have that money to put towards my disney trips :rotfl2:

yay for your son!! Do you have to pay for H.S. hockey?? We don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter