Hockey Moms or Dads unite

ddluvsdisney

DIS Veteran
I have never seen a thread that was hockey related. I know there are some hockey moms out there or dads too. :)
I have 2 boys they both played hockey. The older quit after his freshman year of H.S.
My youngest is 11 he's a first yr. pee wee.
I am a true hockey mom!! When my kids both played we needed to divide and conquer since they were both on travel teams. I usually took the older since my DH coached the younger son's team. Although a few years back I took the younger when DH coached the older. It is a really fun sport to watch. Let's talk hockey!!! Wher do your kids play??

It

Our son played hockey but, he too quit after 2 years of high school hockey. I really miss it, I was really involved with the whole association. Oh well, it was his choice, he didn't like the politics of the high school team.
We enjoyed the sport and our "hockey family" so much, this is the first season not playing so we'll see how it goes.

Forgot to mention that he still refs hockey so maybe we"ll have to go watch a few of the games he officiates :)

I have two boys in hockey ages 12 and 9. We live rurally so a lot of travelling around to games. My DH coaches both teams. DS12 is a winger and DS9 plays defence (for now).

Most of the rural rinks are like giant tin cans sitting out in the open. It is COLD! Especially in the dead of winter when it's -30C outside.

We have practices Tues and Thurs and games Sat and Sun. They each have two tournaments a year, an away and a home one. Very busy.

Our other son (also 9) is not the athletic type. He plays piano and takes an art class.

We love hockey. It's an exciting game to watch. Especially as the kids get older and faster.

dazedx3 said:
Our son played hockey but, he too quit after 2 years of high school hockey. I really miss it, I was really involved with the whole association. Oh well, it was his choice, he didn't like the politics of the high school team.
We enjoyed the sport and our "hockey family" so much, this is the first season not playing so we'll see how it goes.

I think it was for the best that DS15 quit the H.S.team. Yes lots of politics everywhere but what I hated and I think him too, we're the kids. They were just not a nice group of kids. There was a lot of bullying going on. And DS just didn't hang around with any of the kids. The only thing he liked was the 2 asst. coaches- one was his barber ( and a friend of DH) the other coach was his history tchr. And a friend of my BIL.
He was still playing town hockey until last spring.
He made the choice over the summer to not play at all. He thought DH would be mad. We were both fine with his decision.

Kady said:
I have two boys in hockey ages 12 and 9. We live rurally so a lot of travelling around to games. My DH coaches both teams. DS12 is a winger and DS9 plays defence (for now).

Most of the rural rinks are like giant tin cans sitting out in the open. It is COLD! Especially in the dead of winter when it's -30C outside.

We have practices Tues and Thurs and games Sat and Sun. They each have two tournaments a year, an away and a home one. Very busy.

Our other son (also 9) is not the athletic type. He plays piano and takes an art class.

We love hockey. It's an exciting game to watch. Especially as the kids get older and faster.

My son has practice Wed.& Thurs and games on Sat. & and sometimes Sun.
He has always played defense since he was 6. This year he said he didn't want to play D anymore. He has been playing wing but prefers center.
He's scored 4 goals this year already.
It sounds like you live in Canada.
Giant tin cans don't sound very appealing LOL

Kady said:

I agree about the tin can arenas! Im from Canada and can assure you they're VERY cold! The newer arenas are pretty good. the older rinks suck.

Hockey is definitely more exciting as they get older. i love watching my son play. He's 12 yrs old. Peewee, House League. Practice once a week and a game once or twice a week. Hockey pretty much takes over our whole weekend but we love it! he's been playing Defense since he was 8.

we also have two tournaments every year. one out of town and one some what local. its a lot of fun.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

Hockey mom here of dd13 and dd12. They are both playing U14 and are on the same team which makes things a lot easier for us. This is the first year they have been on a travel team so it is a big adjustment for us. They played three years on an in-house club team.

I am the co-manager for the team and don't have a clue what I'm doing.

We have three scheduled practices per week - one of which is dedicated skills training. We have also had extra weekend ice time every weekend. We play one or two games every weekend. When someone asks what we are up to we tell them it's all hockey, all the time.

Our coaches are phenomenal and we are having a great season so far.

My DS16 as been playing hockey for 11 years, travel for the past 9. He is a goalie. It was fun traveling around New England for a hockey game. Yup some of the rinks are extremely cold, bring your hockey blankets.:lmao:

He is playing split season U16 Midgets this year. The good thing about Midgets is there is not a lot of travel only in state because the season is so short. He is the starting goalie for his high school team, has been since freshman year. It's so sun to watch.

My DS 14 has been playing since he was 4. He plays for a travel Bantam team and made his Varsity HS team as a freshman- we only have 1 day a week where we are hockey free. He also decided to make the HS roller hockey team --aggh. but we love it. I do alot of score keeping for school leagues and use to be on the Board for the travel team. My DH is a rink manager so we are always there.

goofyintoronto said:
I agree about the tin can arenas! Im from Canada and can assure you they're VERY cold! The newer arenas are pretty good. the older rinks suck.

Hockey is definitely more exciting as they get older. i love watching my son play. He's 12 yrs old. Peewee, House League. Practice once a week and a game once or twice a week. Hockey pretty much takes over our whole weekend but we love it! he's been playing Defense since he was 8.

we also have two tournaments every year. one out of town and one some what local. its a lot of fun.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using DISBoards App

Sounds fun! Have a great season!

Hockey mom here of dd13 and dd12. They are both playing U14 and are on the same team which makes things a lot easier for us. This is the first year they have been on a travel team so it is a big adjustment for us. They played three years on an in-house club team.

We have three scheduled practices per week - one of which is dedicated skills training. We have also had extra weekend ice time every weekend. We play one or two games every weekend. When someone asks what we are up to we tell them it's all hockey, all the time.

I love hearing about girls who love hockey. They started a girls league in our travel league last year. I think they have a U10 and u12.
Wow 3 practices-that's great. they really should have more practices than games.

Diane♥Disney;46591678 said:
My DS16 as been playing hockey for 11 years, travel for the past 9. He is a goalie. It was fun traveling around New England for a hockey game. Yup some of the rinks are extremely cold, bring your hockey blankets.:lmao:

He is playing split season U16 Midgets this year. The good thing about Midgets is there is not a lot of travel only in state because the season is so short. He is the starting goalie for his high school team, has been since freshman year. It's so sun to watch.
The traveling can get ridiculous. But we only travel in state (MA).
Wow starting goalie since freshman yr. that is fantastic!

My DS 14 has been playing since he was 4. He plays for a travel Bantam team and made his Varsity HS team as a freshman- we only have 1 day a week where we are hockey free. He also decided to make the HS roller hockey team --aggh. but we love it. I do alot of score keeping for school leagues and use to be on the Board for the travel team. My DH is a rink manager so we are always there.

ice hockey and roller hockey- that is a lot of hockey.
I would definately cherish that one day lol.
It was kinda like that for us when both boys played.
Rink manager.... you must like live there.

DS9 plays Squirt hockey in a house league. he plays wherever they put him. practices 2 times or once a week and games on Sat and Sun mostly. Practice make me mad this year because it is til 8:45 pm and he gets to bed too late, 10 pm after changing and coming home and showering. We have to travel about an hour for quite a few games since we are rural. 25 minutes just to the home rink.

pyrxtc said:
DS9 plays Squirt hockey in a house league. he plays wherever they put him. practices 2 times or once a week and games on Sat and Sun mostly. Practice make me mad this year because it is til 8:45 pm and he gets to bed too late, 10 pm after changing and coming home and showering. We have to travel about an hour for quite a few games since we are rural. 25 minutes just to the home rink.

My DS11 has practice late this year too. :( 8:00 one night and 8:30 the other!! It sucks by the time he gets home it's about 10 as well. He showers and gets to bed late!!
At the last board mtg. They said they were going to look into making some changes. We'll see.

One of our practices is 8:40 to 9:40. It is skills training with an ex NHL player. He is wonderful!

Another hockey mom of dd's , and a D's. dd14 is on a 14u travel team. Ds3 is bantam travel and dd10 is on an 11u team. While I enjoy it, it really is more hockey than I care for. Too busy for me.

mickeyboat said:

I forgot to mention that not only does my son play but my DH does too. He plays at least twice a week. He is like a big kid. The best part about his games- they don't really interfere w/ family time. He usually plays really late and early Sunday mornings.
Does anybody else have a DH that plays too? Or a hockey dad that plays?

My 2 daughters and my 6 year old son play.

I feel like we live at the rink but its been great. All 3 started playing when there were 4 years old and they all started skating between 2 and 3.

My son isn't into sports but has been trying out hockey for almost 3 years now. He really doesn't have a sports drive yet and can't seem to stay focused long enough to do well, even though he can skate fast and well enough for his age. He gets on the ice 3 times a week (cross ice game, full ice game, practice). I hope he gets it soon!

My 10 year old is a 1st year peewee and plays for one of our town peewee teams and she plays defense. She also plays on a U12 club girls team, where she plays a forward. She also fills in on our town U12 and U14 team.

My 9 year old is a 1st year squirt and plays for one of our towns squirt teams, she also plays on a U10 club girls team. She plays forward for both teams. She also fills in our town U12 team.

My girls are lucky in that they get so much ice that they actually don't go to all they can.

They get on the ice between 5-11 hours a week depending on the week and their other commitments.

Its crazy but they have been doing it so long now its just the way it is and we love it!

I have never seen a thread that was hockey related. I know there are some hockey moms out there or dads too. :)
I have 2 boys they both played hockey. The older quit after his freshman year of H.S.
My youngest is 11 he's a first yr. pee wee.
I am a true hockey mom!! When my kids both played we needed to divide and conquer since they were both on travel teams. I usually took the older since my DH coached the younger son's team. Although a few years back I took the younger when DH coached the older. It is a really fun sport to watch. Let's talk hockey!!! Wher do your kids play??

Im from MA and my dd is a first year peewee too. I wonder if they have played against each other in the past or now. Send me a PM if you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter