Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

@amberama76 - Those look so fabulous - I love your Kevin!

I have been spending time working on ours, and I am in AWE of all of you who can paint tiny, straight lines!!! I am so glad I'm only decorating three of them (DH and DS17 don't/wouldn't want theirs decorated).

I painted our magic bands today and posted pics in a facebook group and a woman told me that they aren't going to scan at the parks and that people who decorate them cause problems and long lines for people who don't decorate.

There are so many people here who have said painting doesn't cause scanning problems. This was all done with nail polish...Please tell me I didn't waste my entire day doing this....

6BB7F21A-6D15-499B-ADAA-000BFD354E4C.jpg
Tell her to MYOB. Theres always gotta be someone trying to be a Debbie downer. Your bands look great, and people who put much more (crystals, stickers, duct tape) came back and reported they had NO issues with scanning their bands at all. Enjoy your vacation!

A couple tips from when I was decorating our bands (pics to come later).

Use some kind of paint- I tried to use just colored sharpie on yellow and green bands and COULD NOT get the design to look okay over the Mickey head, and it is DULL. I ended up using nail polish over the sharpie after trying to scrub the green one clean with pure acetone to no avail (they had been sitting for 2 days). Obviously light colored nail polish showed the sharpie underneath, which for me was fine. It may not be for someone else.

Glow in the dark nail polish must be thick to work, and will ruin the color of anything under it because all you will see is the murky glow in the dark.

Has anyone tried the vinyl monogram decals you see on etsy? I ordered a few for our upcoming trip, and wanted to know how they hold up to water, etc. I painted our last bands, but the southern girl in me couldn't resist the monograms lol

Done! I have been working on these a little each night for a little over a week. I could only work on them at night because the trip (24-hour party) is a surprise!

I used every technique mentioned on the thread - nail polish, acrylics, base coat, oil-based sharpie, acrylic sealer, tattoos, top coat, glow paint, glow polish!

My big "Ugh!" moment was when I realized I had not put base coat on the Baymax band, so unfortunately, the "angry eyes" are a little cracked.

The glow nail polish was a pain and doesn't glow as well as the glow acrylic paint. I decided to mix the glow acrylic paint with other colors - particularly white - and with just two coats, it works really well! You have to let it "charge" in the light and then it is very bright in the dark.

The oil-based sharpie smeared with the base coat on top, but did well with the acrylic sealer (Baymax) EXCEPT when it was on top of nail polish (so Sorcerer's hat has a few blemishes at the bottom).

For the tattoos, I tried the plastic bag method a couple of times with no luck. So I decided that since the band was a dark purple, the tatts would probably show up fairly well, and I think they did.

The "plain" bands are for DH (white & "gold" for Georgia Tech!) and DS17. They both have glow paint on Mickey heads, and the green one also has glow paint on the grey outer band.

Last thing to share, the acrylic sealer would not stick to the base coat that I used, so it was only used on the yellow, green, and Baymax bands. I really liked the way it coated and dried quickly, so I was a little disappointed that I couldn't use it on all of them.

Hope these tips are helpful!

Ok - first time trying photos, so hopefully this will work!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

For those of us who aren't very artistic, I discovered a great way to paint the mickey head without making a mess. I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. First I covered the area with a piece of blue painters tape. I pressed on it to feel where the outline of the mickey head was. Then, I slowly and carefully traced the outline with a seam ripper, punching through the blue tape. Then I was able to peel off the part covering mickey, protecting the area around the mickey head.
Great idea! Thanks.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
I decided that my Fitbit and MB needed to look ok together, so this is what I came up with. I like them, but it's feeling a little Christmassy to me. Oh well! I'll be wearing them to WDW in a couple of weeks. Yay!
They look great!

This is mine. I just finished making it about 20 minutes ago. Took me 3 hours but it was well worth it. I love how it turned out and I can't wait to wear it next week. It glows in the dark too!
I bet these will be cool in the dark!

Has anyone tried the vinyl monogram decals you see on etsy? I ordered a few for our upcoming trip, and wanted to know how they hold up to water, etc. I painted our last bands, but the southern girl in me couldn't resist the monograms lol

I would like to know this as well. I monogram would look really cute.

For anyone that has used vinyl, do you use a base coat or top coat?

Yeah! I can finally posts pictures! Okay, here's my magic bands. I just used nail polish and adhesive rhinestones. Some are from last year, and some for this upcoming trip.

I love these -- this is similar to what one of my daughters wants to do (the crystal flourishes). Did you use a base coat before putting the crystals on? Did you do each crystal individually or were they premade flourishes (I've seen some in the scrapbooking department at Joann's). And did you put any kind of clear coat over the top? Thanks!

Done! I have been working on these a little each night for a little over a week. I could only work on them at night because the trip (24-hour party) is a surprise!

I used every technique mentioned on the thread - nail polish, acrylics, base coat, oil-based sharpie, acrylic sealer, tattoos, top coat, glow paint, glow polish!

My big "Ugh!" moment was when I realized I had not put base coat on the Baymax band, so unfortunately, the "angry eyes" are a little cracked.

The glow nail polish was a pain and doesn't glow as well as the glow acrylic paint. I decided to mix the glow acrylic paint with other colors - particularly white - and with just two coats, it works really well! You have to let it "charge" in the light and then it is very bright in the dark.

The oil-based sharpie smeared with the base coat on top, but did well with the acrylic sealer (Baymax) EXCEPT when it was on top of nail polish (so Sorcerer's hat has a few blemishes at the bottom).

For the tattoos, I tried the plastic bag method a couple of times with no luck. So I decided that since the band was a dark purple, the tatts would probably show up fairly well, and I think they did.

The "plain" bands are for DH (white & "gold" for Georgia Tech!) and DS17. They both have glow paint on Mickey heads, and the green one also has glow paint on the grey outer band.

Last thing to share, the acrylic sealer would not stick to the base coat that I used, so it was only used on the yellow, green, and Baymax bands. I really liked the way it coated and dried quickly, so I was a little disappointed that I couldn't use it on all of them.

Hope these tips are helpful!

Ok - first time trying photos, so hopefully this will work!View attachment 96617View attachment 96618View attachment 96619View attachment 96620View attachment 96621

I really like how you did the sorcerer hat! Your bands look really great! I am still experimenting with my bands, sadly can't post any pictures just yet but for the gray parts of the band, did you put a base on it before painting it?

I love these -- this is similar to what one of my daughters wants to do (the crystal flourishes). Did you use a base coat before putting the crystals on? Did you do each crystal individually or were they premade flourishes (I've seen some in the scrapbooking department at Joann's). And did you put any kind of clear coat over the top? Thanks!

I am not the OP but I have done bands with both individual crystals and the premade scrapbook stickers. The individual crystals looked and held up way better. The premade ones weren't as shiny and I lost some of the crystals. I had used base coat under and over the premade sticker but it made the crystals less shiny. For our second trip I used individual crystals that I also bought at Michaels. They all stayed on and remained nice and shiny even after lots of base coat. I just used blobs of base coat to place the individual crystals. You could move them a around a little bit before the polish set. Then I did several coats of base coat overtop and in between the crystals.

These aren't the best pictures but hopefully you can see the difference.

Premade sticker before use

DSC02748.JPG

Individual crystals

DSC03687.JPG
DSC03471.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter