Go pro camera

Hands free filming.
DS and DD did the Wild Africa Trek. DS wore it on his helmet and filmed during the walking, bridges etc parts.
While on a cruise DD wore it on her helmet doing a zip line across the water/beach and it turned out really cool.
Not to mention the tiny size, wide angle lens, amazing clarity, multitude of different mounting options for aforementioned hands-free-ness, and superb waterproof cases, which are excruciatingly hard to find in manageable proportions for a "normal" camera.

The wide angle lens captures some neat video on rides. Held at a good angle you can capture everyone in one or two maybe three cars on a ride. ie Yeti. A small hand grip mount will do. Practice at a comfortable arms reach what position and angle gets you the shot you want.

Agree with the above - it's great wide-angle image quality in a very portable format. I had no issues using it last August on our trip on all the rides except the ones at the water parks where they allow the cameras, but not the grips.

Of course, if you dare to bring a Gopro to Disney, be prepared to be called selfish, rude, a narcissist, and lots of other snap judgments that I'm still not sure how people arrive at. There was an epic thread about it a few weeks ago.

we went for a week in October, and had no problems using on any rides.... video in signature

small camera, super wide angle lens, allows you to capture some great moments in some unique situations.

enjoy

How does it do at night? Has anyone used it to film Osborne Lights?

Used ours on a Disney cruise and got some cool shots. Here's the video:

Leaving today for WDW and will probably strap it to the kids for some unique video. :duck:

We were very courteous with our GoPro and didn't take anyone out with the telescoping stick. Nor did we use it fully extended on any rides. We too got some great shots with it and I find the footage to be clearer than any video camera we currently own or have owned (especially if you watch in HD, of course)

Last edited:

Did you all with GoPro walk around with it on its own or mount it on anything, and if so what?

Last edited:
I don't have a GoPro but DW bought me some glasses that have a camera in the frame so I can walk down Main Street and record everywhere I look. I have only used it once since Christmas, but she bought it just for Disney Parks as she knows I like to record so much.

No, it is not usable in water, but I was surprised how well the little thing records video and audio. I'm looking forward to giving is a try on our next trip.

On videos, it looks like it is held on a pole, or bar or something? Videos do seem clear, and maybe wide angle? Can it be used indoors well, with no supplemental lighting?

I used the GoPole. Telescoping from 17"-40", very versatile.

I have the Hero 3+ Black.

Did you find it annoying to walk around with?

not at all. fits into a backpack, bottom of stroller with ease. It also can act as a monopod, this helped getting some steady footage while at some of the shows (Lion King, Frozen, etc)

We did actually purchase a GoPro two days before our last trip to Disney, LOL! I just got the $129 version - and we did use it on a few rides. I held it in my hand the whole trip - and it was fine :) Here's our video from our October 2014 trip if you'd like to see how this version worked :)

On videos, it looks like it is held on a pole, or bar or something? Videos do seem clear, and maybe wide angle? Can it be used indoors well, with no supplemental lighting?
It can be used indoors, but it definitely picks up some grain, but no more than my other digital video cam. I've never tried any direct supplemental lighting. I just wish I was better at editing so I could post cool vids here like these!! (What I really need is a new computer; my ancient laptop just can't keep up.)

Go pro works great but you really need to practice with it before your trip. Practice helps you get a good sense on how to position the camera and how much area will be in the field of view. Selfie sticks short and long do well but when extended can be pretty shaky. Go pro hero 3+ silver and subsequent models have good setting capabilities. Day time 1080p 60FPS and night time 1080p 30 FPS give good results(a little grainy at night but ok). Hero 4 has even more advanced capture settings. The waterproof case is obviously great for wet rides but diminishes audio capture alot. The audio quality even without a case is ok but not great.
You can invert the camera capture mode for some neat shots, Time Lapse, multi shot mode, edit for slow motion are some of the neat features. You can use an app on your phone to view, preview and control your shots which works good but there is a time lag. They also sell a preview back and a remote control but they are expensive.

This link on youtube is one of many that give good tips on how to use the gopro.

https://www.youtube.com/user/micbergsma

I don't think its good option to totally replace your good quality video camera especially for those special moments but its great for the action shots and diffrent perspective shots. Numerous accesories are great but they can get expensive.

I didn't get too many sneers or comments while using the camera and selfie stick but I sure have seen plenty of snide comments on these boards. That's not a big deal since I'm much too beautiful and intelligent to let it bother me. Ha Ha!! Common sense and common courtesy should dictate how you use it. Obviously don't put your camera and selfie stick in someone else space, don't hold it up high to block someone view (Parade or fireworks), etc, etc. I did hold the camera up high on the extended mount to capture video of the parade but I did so holding it in front of a lamp post so not to block anyones view.

Make sure if you use a selfie stick on a ride, keep it with inside the area of the ride car. I rested the the camera on the inside lip of the ride opening (front car of rocknroller coaster). When the CMs did their checks they made me move it. Basically I moved it back 1 inch and it was ok. That's no problem I had it resting there just for stability but that was not allowed.

This link on youtube is one of many that give good tips on how to use the gopro.

https://www.youtube.com/user/micbergsma

This guy is fantastic. I love him! Also check out Abe Kislevitz's page: http://abekislevitz.com/?catid=11

We are taking our GoPro 4 Silver on our vacation (4 days!!!) and will be using a chest mount, shoulder mount, floaty, grip mount, clamp mount, and monopod.

Agree with the hate on the "selfie stick." People fear things they do not understand. Haters gonna hate!

I agree that practice makes perfect. I've been using the camera in different settings, on different mounts, and in different ways since I got it. Shooting video is easy. Editing video is very tough. :)

I just used one of my GoPro's (Hero 2) for the first time at MK this weekend. I used the headstrap over my hat for a couple of the attractions. We're getting ready to take our first cruise in Sept. so wanted a little practice. I didn't leave it on my head the entire time, just when I wanted to capture something. They are very small so fitting it in your pocket is very easy. Did I feel like I looked stupid with it on, absolutely but I don't care.

I feel like they are great for capturing your vacation without having to carry around a camcorder. Hands free so you can still enjoy your trip and capture those instant moments. I too HATE the selfie sticks. I witnessed a guy at MK Sunday just about take out a crowd of people because he's staring at the stick and not where he's going.

Another couple of tips I wo add, if you are worried about losing/damaging it, buy a Hero 2 used off of eBay. Secondly, disable the flashing red light on the front. I find it bothers people less (can be turned off in the settings)

As with all things, use it responsiblly and be considerate of others and you won't have an issue. I'll share some video later when I have time to upload.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter