Getting in Shape for Disney

JamesMom

DIS Veteran
I am taking my son on a impromptu trip next month.
Last May my mom's health took a turn for the worse and ultimately died in Feb. I need to go to my happy place...hence the trip with my DS7.
The problem - I am horribly out of shape and have gained 40 pounds I didn't need soothing my troubles with chocolate.
I started my Wii fit today with a 35 minute program that made me sweat - so I am very out of shape. I hadn't step on the thing since Feb.
What program should I implement to build up my stamina for the parks?
I was thinking
Week 1 - Wii Fit for 30 minutes a day. Walk son to bus stop .25 mile each way. (.5 mile a day)
Week 2 - Wii Fit for 45 minutes a day. Add 15 minutes on treadmill. (1 mile a day)
Week 3 - Wii Fit for 45 minutes a day. Walk 2 miles a day
Week 4 - Wii Fit for 45 minutes a day. Walk 3 miles a day

I don't plan on altering my diet much so I am not dieting. The point is to not get winded walking to the bus stop at the resort :)

Is this a good workable plan?

Hi,

Your workout plan looks great. Remember, the other key to your success is keeping your eating in line too!

I have lost 55 pounds since Sept. It has been very hard - but well worth it and I'm in the best shape ever!!

I started out with small amounts of exercise and I have gotten to where I exercise a minimum of one hour a day. I also look for little ways to add extra steps in my every day life. Like, parking at the farthest corner of the parking lot, walking my kids to the park and walking around during my kids sports practices instead of sitting in my car.

I have also been on a program called HMR. It has worked magic for me!

Keep up your hard work - it will make Disney walking much easier!

We are going in August and I can't wait to have Photopass pictures taken with the "new" me!!!

If you have a smart phone you can download calorie counting apps. That has also helped me!

i also have started a workout plan yesterday i went and bought those Stetcher shape-up sneakers wow what difference it makes on your feet & body then we went and got a 7 day starter weight loss kit at GNC to give my butt alittle energy boost haha we also have a wii but i cant find the wii fit anywhere...... so good luck we have 157 days left before we leave so excited!!!

I recommend walking!!! Best way to go!

I joined a weight loss challenge group, started walking a whole lot more (in addition to eating less and better), and lost 20 lbs in 10 weeks.

I started off by walking my kids back & forth to school (2 km round-trip), then other places like the library, bank, etc. Easier for me to do since my husband uses our car weekdays.

If walking, trust me, try Merrell shoes. OMG.... ok yes they are bit expensive ($100ish) and maybe not the most stylish but for anyone who ever had to deal with sore feet, they are phenomenal!! I had plantar fasciatis and these little beauties got me thru it FRESH OUTTA THE BOX! Didn't even need break-in time. Nothing short of Disney magic!

You will be amazed how much progress you will make in a month. Plus having a WDW trip to look forward to - will make those miles fly by. :rotfl:

I'm going in August and since it will be much hotter than when we usually go, (feb), I'm starting a similar plan.

Lets keep encouraging each other - it is always easier when you know you have support. :dance3:

Sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. :hug:

I like what 5Dizfans said-

"I started out with small amounts of exercise and I have gotten to where I exercise a minimum of one hour a day. I also look for little ways to add extra steps in my every day life. Like, parking at the farthest corner of the parking lot, walking my kids to the park and walking around during my kids sports practices instead of sitting in my car."

I think this is the best advice. While trying a workout plan is obvious. Doing little things during the day can double the activity you get from only workouts.

I like things like using the stairs versus an elevator and parking at the back of lots to walk an extra 50 feet. Plus instead of sitting you could stand while your watch tv, or advance to streching then pushups and situps.

I would try the wii game called walk it out cause you are walking.I first rent it from gamefly.If you dont want to buy the game or the stores that have it than do what the other poster said go walking don"t know if wi fit would help.

I want to start by saying good luck on the weight loss. We started in Jan. on doing stuff for the Wii and have loved it. So far DGF is down 36 and I'm down 30. Along with doing the Wii keep your eating in check. I'm not talking dieting as you had said you don't want to do. We just watch how much fat we are taking on and how many calories. We look at it as doing it the old fashioned way of burning more calories than we take on. I during the time frame started doing some light dumbbell stuff and it has helped tone me as well. Nothing heavy but something to burn more calories.
Another little secret no one here has mentioned. After a few weeks the dgf went out and bought wrist weights for when she does the Wii. Nothing heavy (I think they are like 1 pound) and wears those. It's a little resistance which will help burn calories a touch faster. Another hint is we use a tape measure and measured ourselves. I recommend doing it as it might come in handy. I myself didn't lose any weight last month and was going a touch crazy. We did the monthly measuring and noticed that I had lost 2 inches everywhere so I am still losing weight just the lifting is building a touch of muscle. This got me fired up again and keeps you pointed towards the goal when you start to wonder if its working.

I have been to disney many times and been out of shape. The thing that saved me was a month or so before the trip I would start walking every night for about thirty minutes in the shoes I would wear there. It really helps! My dh and I are planning on going in Nov and I have vowed to go in good shape. So almost two months ago I started a life change. I am down thirty pounds but my exercising is not where it should be so I will pick that up. I have given myself many months to get into shape and I want this very bad. I want to be in shape for the pictures. :)
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. My mom passed three years ago and my dad two months ago so I know how you feel.

I'm a Weight Watcher believer and I walk walk walk. When I get to Disney I use their health clubs every morning and do my 4 miles on treadmill and weights every other day. If I can't get to a treadmill, I wear my pedometer just to be sure I get my 10,000 steps in per day. Good luck. I'd love to try the Wii Fit!

I have been watching what I eat and working out since Jan 1st - started this plan for general 'better health' - but have since lost right at 30lbs.

We took an impromptu trip to Univ Studios/IOA a month or so ago and I have to say that I could tell a HUGE difference in the way I felt at the end of the day - body wasn't near as sore and I felt great each morning...I've since lost more weight and can't wait to see how I feel during our upcoming trip...

:)

I have been watching what I eat and working out since Jan 1st - started this plan for general 'better health' - but have since lost right at 30lbs.

We took an impromptu trip to Univ Studios/IOA a month or so ago and I have to say that I could tell a HUGE difference in the way I felt at the end of the day - body wasn't near as sore and I felt great each morning...I've since lost more weight and can't wait to see how I feel during our upcoming trip...

:)

Wow!! 30 lbs since Jan 1 is fantastic!!!:thumbsup2 I also started Jan 1 but am only down 20 lbs. But I totally agree with you -- the new found energy is amazing. Watching what you eat is great, but exercise is everything! I will be at WDW with my 22 yr old daughter (graduation trip yay!) and I too can't wait to see the difference. This is a very motivating thread!!!

I agree with the walking every day leading up to Disney. I include the children as well and we make it a fun family thing. I also pack several different pairs of (broken in)shoes in case of blisters its nice to swap out. I learned these things the hard was on my first visit to WDW.

Ahh, we all have a common goal here---look good for those photopass pictures! :lmao:
I started around Feb 16, and so far have lost about 16lbs.!! My goal was to lose about 25 before we go in june, hopefully I can do it..almost there!

Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work! :woohoo:

I too have been walking on the treadmill, got the sketchers shape ups, and I will SWEAR by them!!! They are awesome!!! Since January, I have gone from an almost size 16, down to a 10, and I just recently got a pair of capris that were size 8, and they fit. So it's doable. My DH has noticed a difference when we go places, cause he's not dragging me to keep up with him. So far I'm at 18lbs. I got an ab lounge, and have started using that. I'm watching my portion sizes, and sweets!!! Good luck. I got a trip in june with a skinny minnie friend, and I want to be able to keep up with her!! :)

I just challeneged my hubby to us both trying to loose at least 10lbs by our winter trip to WDW!! :cheer2:

I'm hoping for more than 10, but thought this should be doable!? ;)

Here is to keeping each other motivated- both in loosing some unwanted weight and keeping the excitement up for our WDW trips!! :banana:

I just challeneged my hubby to us both trying to loose at least 10lbs by our winter trip to WDW!! :cheer2:

I'm hoping for more than 10, but thought this should be doable!? ;)

Here is to keeping each other motivated- both in loosing some unwanted weight and keeping the excitement up for our WDW trips!! :banana:

That is us each loosing 10lbs!! :laughing:

I'm hopping on the 'get fit' train as well :thumbsup2 I took my first kickboxing class this past Monday and it was so much harder for me that I was anticipating! Plus, I was the 'biggest' girl there and felt completely like a fish out of water. It was sad at first to me since I had to take a few more breaks than anyone else and had to look at myself in the wall of mirrors they so graciously provided during the whole class :scared1: but I made it through it and I do plan to go back. My self esteem was at an all time low but I'm trying to use it as motivation by telling myself, 'at least you went and got through it'. We have a possible 3 day trip to the world in September and our annual extended family trip in November. I'm just tired of being the 'biggest' one in the photopass pictures! I'm vowing to change that -- wish me luck :goodvibes

OP - Thanks for starting this thread -- hopefully we can keep each other motivated to reach our goals!!! :cool1:

I'm hopping on the 'get fit' train as well :thumbsup2 I took my first kickboxing class this past Monday and it was so much harder for me that I was anticipating! Plus, I was the 'biggest' girl there and felt completely like a fish out of water. It was sad at first to me since I had to take a few more breaks than anyone else and had to look at myself in the wall of mirrors they so graciously provided during the whole class :scared1: but I made it through it and I do plan to go back. My self esteem was at an all time low but I'm trying to use it as motivation by telling myself, 'at least you went and got through it'. We have a possible 3 day trip to the world in September and our annual extended family trip in November. I'm just tired of being the 'biggest' one in the photopass pictures! I'm vowing to change that -- wish me luck :goodvibes

OP - Thanks for starting this thread -- hopefully we can keep each other motivated to reach our goals!!! :cool1:

Everybody starts somewhere! Congrats to you and best of luck . :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter