Free Dining Discussion (And a Whole Lot More) - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
teehee - it amuses me that they would think free a Memory Maker package (to the tune of saving $149) would attract those wishing for a Free Dining package! For our family, that translates to THOUSANDS of dollars. I never really thought of them as using that to entice the free dining crowd, more of a push for people to try the memory maker and decide they can't live without it and then purchase it for their next trip :)

The fall MM package also includes a room discount from 10-25%.

I am definitely hoping for free dining though!

Does anyone know if theres a list of historical pins for free dining? or is there absolutely no trend with those?

Since weather is a topic on this board as well, here is what happened in Texas this weekend. Saturday was beautiful, the temperature was 82. Sunday, in the afternoon, the temperature was 28 and sleeting. Monday morning it was 9 with a wind chill of -5. UGH!!!!!!

Wow! That's insane!

The fall MM package also includes a room discount from 10-25%. I am definitely hoping for free dining though!
I didn't realize that! Makes it a little more attractive, but still wouldn't be as significant for us. We budget for and go whether it's offered or not, but it is always nice with the bonus savings :)

Hello - I am new here and planning a trip in early September 2014. My travel agent mentioned that September is historically the month of Free Dining. My question is, if I book now using the MM discount package and then free dining comes out at a later date - will I be able to add it to my existing reservation or is it for new reservations only? Thanks for any help you can provide...
I tried looking through previous pages of posts to see if this has already been asked but gave up and decided to just ask.

Hello - I am new here and planning a trip in early September 2014. My travel agent mentioned that September is historically the month of Free Dining. My question is, if I book now using the MM discount package and then free dining comes out at a later date - will I be able to add it to my existing reservation or is it for new reservations only? Thanks for any help you can provide...
I tried looking through previous pages of posts to see if this has already been asked but gave up and decided to just ask.

Complicated question, so I'll break it down.

1. Yes you could add free dining; however, discounts are not stackable, so you'd lose your MM discount in favor of the free dining.

2. It's normally not a good idea to book ahead of time if you're anticipating a discount to come. If you'll be happy with, and keep your MM discount either way, then all is good. However, if you're banking on free dining to make your trip happen, that's not good. The reason is that Disney, as you would expect, uses promos to fill rooms. If the rooms are booked, then there's no reason to offer a promo. So people who book anticipating free dining are actually shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak.

So if you want...really want...free dining, then hold out. Booking early guarantees you nothing anyway, because you still have to call back, and they still have to have availability for the promo. Having a room booked early doesn't hold a spot or give you any advantage at all. In fact, it hurt many folks last time, because the online bookings opened at midnight and phone lines didn't open until 7am. Since the only way to modify an existing reservation is by phone, all the ones pre-booked had to wait 7 full hours past others who were booking all night long....makes sense to wait.

Hope I could help at least a bit. :confused3

In fact, it hurt many folks last time, because the online bookings opened at midnight and phone lines didn't open until 7am. Since the only way to modify an existing reservation is by phone, all the ones pre-booked had to wait 7 full hours past others who were booking all night long....makes sense to wait.
:confused3

About that midnight opening -- has that been done with any of the other promos that came out since it did for fall dining? It caught us all off guard last time!

About that midnight opening -- has that been done with any of the other promos that came out since it did for fall dining? It caught us all off guard last time!

Caught everyone by surprise indeed. But given that it's happened, it only going to happen more and more in the future. I see no reason to think it was an isolated event. They were probably trying to take some heat off the phones.

Thanks Black562 - exactly the info I was looking for!!! I will hold off booking for now!

Don't get me wrong....if you plan to go either way, and are insistent upon a specific resort and/or room type, then book away.

If, however, you would ONLY go if there is free dining, then yes, you would only harm your chances by booking early.

Complicated question, so I'll break it down. 1. Yes you could add free dining; however, discounts are not stackable, so you'd lose your MM discount in favor of the free dining. 2. It's normally not a good idea to book ahead of time if you're anticipating a discount to come. If you'll be happy with, and keep your MM discount either way, then all is good. However, if you're banking on free dining to make your trip happen, that's not good. The reason is that Disney, as you would expect, uses promos to fill rooms. If the rooms are booked, then there's no reason to offer a promo. So people who book anticipating free dining are actually shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak. So if you want...really want...free dining, then hold out. Booking early guarantees you nothing anyway, because you still have to call back, and they still have to have availability for the promo. Having a room booked early doesn't hold a spot or give you any advantage at all. In fact, it hurt many folks last time, because the online bookings opened at midnight and phone lines didn't open until 7am. Since the only way to modify an existing reservation is by phone, all the ones pre-booked had to wait 7 full hours past others who were booking all night long....makes sense to wait. Hope I could help at least a bit. :confused3

So how do you deal with ADR's if you wait to book? you will not get the 180+10 days
instead you will have to book ADR's each day at the 180 day mark.

So how do you deal with ADR's if you wait to book? you will not get the 180+10 days
instead you will have to book ADR's each day at the 180 day mark.

Indeed, that's one of the tradeoffs. However, in my experience I've never had an issue with that, especially since it can be done online or with an app now. The only place that's tricky is Be Our Guest.

Anyone who knows anything about s/p/d... I thought I read somewhere if you're staying say (example) 7 nights that you'd be required to buy an 8 day park pass to get this deal...is this true? I've also read you only need to buy a min of one park ticket. I'm going in Jan and would like to take this promo but were staying 7 nights and only do 5 days in the parks. But I wouldn't do this promo if I were required to get tickets for all the days.

Hi. Long time, no type!

I'm Amy, from TX. Recently widowed and have a 5 yr old son, who is awesome.

My parents took me to WDW when I was 5. I remember getting silky "kimono" type pajamas at Epcot. Sadly, I don't remember much else!

Went again in jr high as a tag along with my sister & her hubs as they had a trade show in Orlando. It was fun, but I would have loved to have had a friend along. I found out my big sis was prone to motion sickness in the middle of Body Wars!! I went back my Sr yr in high school with our youth choir.

My most memorable trips would occur in Nov 2012 & 2013. The former was DS's Make a Wish trip and would turn out to be our last vacation as a family. A friend "knew" Darth Vader and arranged for a M&G for our boy. He had been terrified of most of the characters up to this point so we were nervous. He did awesome and was speechless when Darth took his lightsaber and handed him his, complete with his autograph! My fav picture is of DH, DS, DV and the stormtroopers. DH lamented the fact that he was in the picture but I'm so glad he was. It would end up being the 1st and only time DH would go to Disney World.

Nov 2013 was to be a surprise return trip for our DS. DH died, unexpectedly, 10/29. Since the trip was paid for, my oldest sister came with us and we honored DH by forging on. I lived up to his go-go-go itinerary and DS bravely fought DV in the Jedi Training Academy. He and I rode Star Tours more times than I could count!! We had some pixie dust thanks to some very caring CMs one night at the MK, too. We also had a surprise gift basket in our room from some mysterious but thoughtful person. I felt like yelling at everyone at points in time...I felt like I couldn't go another step at others. But seeing that unspeakable joy on my son's face...priceless.

One trip my DH wanted to make was to go to Star Wars Weekends as he and DS shared a deep love for Star Wars. I'm so sad thinking about it but I kind of want to go in his memory. I suck at SW knowledge, though (I've seen all the movies but I don't retain facts like he and DS did!). I'm also nervous about it just being DS and I.

Anyway, that's my story. Oh!! I'm a SAHM but I am going to have to figure out a paying job in the near future (also praying about moving back to my hometown which is 12 hrs from here).

Indeed, that's one of the tradeoffs. However, in my experience I've never had an issue with that, especially since it can be done online or with an app now. The only place that's tricky is Be Our Guest.

My brother and his family went to WDW last summer for their first on site stay. They planned just a few months in advance. Every time they tried to make ADRs they would get frustrated with the system. When they left for their June trip they didn't have one single ADR except for T-Rex.

My SIL made all of the ADRs in the car on their way. She used the app. And they got all of the ones they really wanted. I believe LTT, San Angel, can't remember the others. After that I stopped sweating about ADRs. Other than CG, Ohana, BOG and a couple others you're not going to get shut out of places to eat.

And when we went a couple years ago we changed every single ADR except for one after we got there. Changed some times and restaurants. It was totally fine.

My brother and his family went to WDW last summer for their first on site stay. They planned just a few months in advance. Every time they tried to make ADRs they would get frustrated with the system. When they left for their June trip they didn't have one single ADR except for T-Rex. My SIL made all of the ADRs in the car on their way. She used the app. And they got all of the ones they really wanted. I believe LTT, San Angel, can't remember the others. After that I stopped sweating about ADRs. Other than CG, Ohana, BOG and a couple others you're not going to get shut out of places to eat. And when we went a couple years ago we changed every single ADR except for one after we got there. Changed some times and restaurants. It was totally fine.

Yeah I changed an ADR less than 24 hours in advance. Booked Chefs De France for a second night in a row.

Wow, they allowed online booking at midnight for FD? That's cool. Was that for Disney Visa as well as the general public?

Question- in the past, once ADRs were made, they were not linked to your resort reservation. Is that still the case? If so, then the PP could book with the current discount and make ADRs, then if FD comes out, the PP could book a new reservation online and cancel the old one without losing the ADRs, right? With MDE/ MDX, I do not know if they are now linked and by canceling the resort ressie you also lose the ADRs.

Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter