Free Dining 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow TheDisney411, you are awesome!! Thanks so much for all that info about parks, fast passes, ect! This September will be our family's 2nd trip to Disney ever. With a 3 and 7 year old, we need a plan! We are going for 8 days to give us enough time to do all we wanted and still allow the little one to nap. :)

Weekend party nights are always going to be more crowded, but with those being the last two dates until after Thanksgiving, they will both probably sell out or close to it.

Hmmm, I was planning on the 21ST. Maybe I should switch to the 17TH? That would not work real well with my schedule. We did go to a sold out party in 2007, and it really was not bad outside of the walkways being jammed. What do you think? Should I switch or will the 17TH possibly be crowded too?

Thank you all for your suggestions regarding the resorts. We have always done POP for the reason we are afraid that we would be unhappy except at a Dlx. I should just stick with what we have and use the extra money for spending rather than upgrading. I just keep thinking this is the last time we will go while both kids are under 10 and after that it will already be expensive. :scratchin

I am so glad Black562 started this thread, Pluto for the awesome info and to all of you who have so nicely given thoughts and opinions. :goodvibes

One last question (haha who am I kidding), can I ask about TAs here? I am just wondering who ppl use and their experiences. If this is for another board just let me know.

Do any of the value resorts have queen size beds? We are doing a moderate resort because they do. I know this is the wrong location but I figured if ask sorry lol

Hmmm, I was planning on the 21ST. Maybe I should switch to the 17TH? That would not work real well with my schedule. We did go to a sold out party in 2007, and it really was not bad outside of the walkways being jammed. What do you think? Should I switch or will the 17TH possibly be crowded too?

It's just hard to predict anymore. The week night hard ticket parties almost never used to sell out, except for opening and closing nights, many of the parties, even on week nights sold out last year. I'm sure I have a list of sell out nights from last year somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and maybe have some more specific insight for certain dates.

Disney411 is pretty spot on. I'll add a couple more.

1. Don't over-plan. While dining reservations are a must, don't get bogged down in the little things. Plan your meals, and even the days in the parks, but don't get carried away. I've seen many first timers try to plan every minute of their trip and it ends up becoming work more than leisure.

2. Leave plenty of time for transportation. Nothing is more painful than taking to a family at the Magic Kingdom and finding out they have a dining reservation at Epcot in fifteen minutes and thinking they have plenty of time. Give yourself a solid hour to move from park to park, and while it may not take that much time, you have to factor in your walk to and from the bus/monorail/boat stop...then waiting for one to arrive.

3. Plans can literally change with the weather. Crowd predictions are usually fairly accurate, but they're still predictions. A change in weather can totally change the dynamic and send people to other parks than they would normally go.

4. Don't miss the dole whip. Yes I know this is something small, but once you try it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

5. I'm not a huge parade fan, and for one good reason. Parades draw big crowds, and while those crowds are all busy watching the parade, this is the perfect time to enjoy some rides. Use this time to seek out some good attractions while they're less crowded.

6. Take in the streetmosphere. When we think of this term we normally think of the studios, but that's not the case. Don't miss folks like the Dapper Dans and Jim the piano man at Casey's corner at the magic kingdom. At Epcot there's the candy lady in Japan who makes incredible creations right before your eyes. Animal kingdom is ripe with street performers who appear throughout the park. Take time to stop and take in this atmosphere, it's what sets Disney apart.

7. Being comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk...a lot. Remember, nothing is close to anything, this place is big. The walks to and from bus stops aren't short, the walk from the park gate to the back of the park isn't short, the walk around your resort isn't short, the wall around world showcase is definitely not short. The beauty of wdw is that it has plenty of space to spread out. But that also means lots of walking to and from everything. So please wear very comfortable shoes. I can't state that one enough.

I'll pop more off later, but those are a few things to think about.

Wow TheDisney411, you are awesome!! Thanks so much for all that info about parks, fast passes, ect! This September will be our family's 2nd trip to Disney ever. With a 3 and 7 year old, we need a plan! We are going for 8 days to give us enough time to do all we wanted and still allow the little one to nap. :)

Sounds awesome :-)

Do any of the value resorts have queen size beds? We are doing a moderate resort because they do. I know this is the wrong location but I figured if ask sorry lol

I do not believe so. That was one of my other issues. 10 days in double beds....yuck. :scared:

Magic kingdom has a max occupancy rate of around 100,000. When the hard ticket parties first started, the rumored ticket sales were around 25,000, but over the years as the popularity of the parties grew, those numbers got bumped significantly. The rumored max ticket sales for the hard ticket parties is now closer to 40,000.

Holy cow, 40,000? Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Anyway, thanks again for the "411", lol!

The bedroom in the AOA suites have one queen size bed. That is the only value resort room category that has a queen size bed, all other value resort rooms have full size beds.

I never recommend the hopper ticket option to people who are new to touring Disney, you don't need it. I would recommend 5 to 6 park days for a first visit - 2 days MK, 2 days Epcot, 1 day Ak and 1 day DHS. If you are staying on-site, you don't really need your car, the Disney transporation is good, especially with it being your first time and not being familiar with Disney property.

Pick up a copy of The Unoffical Guide to Walt Disney World and check out their companion website, www.touringplans.com. I use their crowd/best days calendar to plan all our park days and then once I know which park we will be in on which days I can make my Advance Dining Reservations around those parks or in resorts close to those parks. I highly recommend the Basic Disney Dining Plan if your party is going to eat at least one sit down/table service/character meal per day. You can make Advance Dining Reservations 180 before your check-in date.

These are tips I give to anyone new to touring WDW:

1. Make sure you have Advance Dining Reservations as a lot of table service restaurants and character meals do not take walk-ups and book up quickly.

2. Get to the parks at opening. You really can get a lot done in the morning because so many other people sleep in.

3. Eat lunch around 11:00 or 11:30 a.m. before the fast food places get busy. Then when while everyone else is eating lunch, you will have lower crowds.

4. I buy a ton of the two for a dollar ponchos at the dollar store and keep them in the backpack. That way you can throw them a way after use and not worry about keeping up with a wet bulky poncho the rest of the day. Bring throw away ponchos to wear on Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom, if not you WILL get soaked.

5. Other things I put in the backpack each morning are Tylenol/Motrin, small first aid kit, camera with extra batteries, small hand towel, hand sanitizer, wipes and a bottle of water.

6. Most single service items under $4.00 are considered a snack credit on the dining plan. A Turkey Leg is NOT a snack credit :-)

7. At Magic Kingdom always head to Fantasyland first, if you are not doing Fantasyland on a particular day then head to Splash Mountain first, then Big Thunder Mountain; at Epcot always ride Soarin' first and get a Fastpass for later after you get off of the ride; at Disney Hollywood Studios always ride Toy Story Mania first, then head over to Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror; and at Animal Kingdom ride Expedition Everest First then head to the Safari.

8. Favorite fast food restaurants at MK are Pecos Bills and Cosmic Rays; favorite fast food at Animal Kingdom is Flame Tree Grill and Pizzafari. If you are there while it very hot, go to Pizzafari.

9. If there are two lines going into an attraction, always take the line that goes to the left.

10. My best tip would have to be USE THE FASTPASS SYSTEM. Our rule of thumb is if the wait is 25 minutes or less, we wait in line. If the wait is 30 minutes or more, use a Fastpass.

Click on this link and it will give you an excellent overview of Fastpass. It is from Doconeil here on the Disboards and super helpful:

http://www.oinc.net/disney/fastpass.php

11. I like the Photopass. When you enter the parks you will see the staff photographers, they will take your pictures and give you a Photopass and you can use that for the rest of your trip. Each time you see a photographer have them take your picture and they will scan your picture. Then when you get home you can pull up the pictures, with the code they email you after purchase, and pick the photos you want on a CD. They will then mail you the CD and the copyrights to the CD and you can take them to Walmart or Walgreens or wherever and get them developed. They also have a lot of cool software that you can use to edit your photos before you have them put on the CD.

I am definitely familiar with the property, as this will actually by my 15th trip!! But I am new to the booking process in general. I love the tips you have! I will definitely put these to good use!! We actually have already booked too, staying sept. 25-oct 6 at LM room. Hoping on the dining for that room,but do have back ups if necessary!! Thank you for all these tips! I can't wait to use them!

1. Don't over-plan. While dining reservations are a must, don't get bogged down in the little things. Plan your meals, and even the days in the parks, but don't get carried away. I've seen many first timers try to plan every minute of their trip and it ends up becoming work more than leisure.

2. Leave plenty of time for transportation. Nothing is more painful than taking to a family at the Magic Kingdom and finding out they have a dining reservation at Epcot in fifteen minutes and thinking they have plenty of time. Give yourself a solid hour to move from park to park, and while it may not take that much time, you have to factor in your walk to and from the bus/monorail/boat stop...then waiting for one to arrive.

3. Plans can literally change with the weather. Crowd predictions are usually fairly accurate, but they're still predictions. A change in weather can totally change the dynamic and send people to other parks than they would normally go.

4. Don't miss the dole whip. Yes I know this is something small, but once you try it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

5. I'm not a huge parade fan, and for one good reason. Parades draw big crowds, and while those crowds are all busy watching the parade, this is the perfect time to enjoy some rides. Use this time to seek out some good attractions while they're less crowded.

6. Take in the streetmosphere. When we think of this term we normally think of the studios, but that's not the case. Don't miss folks like the Dapper Dans and Jim the piano man at Casey's corner at the magic kingdom. At Epcot there's the candy lady in Japan who makes incredible creations right before your eyes. Animal kingdom is ripe with street performers who appear throughout the park. Take time to stop and take in this atmosphere, it's what sets Disney apart.

7. Being comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk...a lot. Remember, nothing is close to anything, this place is big. The walks to and from bus stops aren't short, the walk from the park gate to the back of the park isn't short, the walk around your resort isn't short, the wall around world showcase is definitely not short. The beauty of wdw is that it has plenty of space to spread out. But that also means lots of walking to and from everything. So please wear very comfortable shoes. I can't state that one enough.

I'll pop more off later, but those are a few things to think about.

Thank you too!! I knew I could get some good info here!! And I have heard things about this "dole whip". I guess that's a must! Thank you both!

Thank you too!! I knew I could get some good info here!! And I have heard things about this "dole whip". I guess that's a must! Thank you both!

Yes it's a must. And it's a snack credit. Try the pineapple vanilla swirl. Very good and refreshing.

It's just hard to predict anymore. The week night hard ticket parties almost never used to sell out, except for opening and closing nights, many of the parties, even on week nights sold out last year. I'm sure I have a list of sell out nights from last year somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and maybe have some more specific insight for certain dates.

Thank you so much! I would appreciate any insite you could give.

This, obviously, should be number one, best treat ever :) Do they still color it for MNSSHP?

Good shoes is a close second.

SOS. Was in middle of purchasing tix for Mick's Halloween party (thank you 411 for heads up) and Internet , wifi, phone are all out. I may be out for awhile.

I do not believe so. That was one of my other issues. 10 days in double beds....yuck. :scared:

Yeah we can't do that. We sleep in a king at home and a queen in our trailer...a double wouldn't work. Lol oh well...sticking with POFQ. I'm good with that though. I'm just waiting "patiently" for FD while we're there. My DH got all excited when I told him the DIS was blowing up because FD got confirmed and it's going to be available next week...he thought I meant for October....I crushed that excitement real quick lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter