For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Saturday morning departure is probably best, especially starting from Miami and having to deal with Thanksgiving weekend traffic. If you left around 9 a.m. you could make it to NC by the early evening and stay over for the night.

All the best. :thumbsup2

Thanks! :goodvibes

Let's see: it's just after midnight, the earliest part of October 22's morning.

What to do? :confused3

Ah, ha! Within the hour, it's time for drive #24 to WDW!:cool1:

:cool1:
Safe travels and have a blast!

trip #24!!! have a safe trip , rookie!!:lmao: :thumbsup2
keep in touch from wdw!!

Got backa few hours ago! We survived our 2nd time driving to Fl and back! Glad to be home but missing FL's weather already!

Howdy!

A few details on drive #24 (catching up to dvczerfs!):

We departed the Jersey Shore at 12:35 a.m. this morning. Cool clear weather and not much traffic. Able to get through some new construction areas (single lanes) due to lack of traffic.

1:59 a.m. DE Memorial Bridge
2:14 a.m. MD
3:53 a.m. VA
6:58 a.m. NC (1-hour rest/nap in NC)
10:27 a.m. SC
1:43 p.m. GA
3:22 p.m. FL
5:23 p.m. Exit #260-B on I-95 = I-4
[accident around mm 78 on I-4 East northbound caused 5-6 mile backup]
6:35 p.m. arrive at DTD hotel after 1,063 miles

[Not counting initial tank of gas: 2nd fill up $47.51 at Emporia Exxon ($3.57);
3rd fill up $45.75 at Exit #38 SC Exxon ($3.38) with miles to spare.

Tomorrow: quick drive to our WDW hotel! :cool1:

Right now: red zombie-like eyes! Sleep...Sleep!

Howdy!

A few details on drive #24 (catching up to dvczerfs!):

We departed the Jersey Shore at 12:35 a.m. this morning. Cool clear weather and not much traffic. Able to get through some new construction areas (single lanes) due to lack of traffic.

1:59 a.m. DE Memorial Bridge
2:14 a.m. MD
3:53 a.m. VA
6:58 a.m. NC (1-hour rest/nap in NC)
10:27 a.m. SC
1:43 p.m. GA
3:22 p.m. FL
5:23 p.m. Exit #260-B on I-95 = I-4
[accident around mm 78 on I-4 East northbound caused 5-6 mile backup]
6:35 p.m. arrive at DTD hotel after 1,063 miles

[Not counting initial tank of gas: 2nd fill up $47.51 at Emporia Exxon ($3.57);
3rd fill up $45.75 at Exit #38 SC Exxon ($3.38) with miles to spare.

Tomorrow: quick drive to our WDW hotel! :cool1:

Right now: red zombie-like eyes! Sleep...Sleep!

:thumbsup2 glad you made it!!!! we'll shovel your driveway while your gone. get some sleep.:thumbsup2

We are back home after our marathon trip - Chicago to Houston to Disney to Fort Myers and back to Chicago. We leave again in a month for Disney and Florida. Weather was great - although extremely hot in TX. The weather for Disney was perfect - not too hot and a little breeze - except for the next to last night and last full day. Started to rain while we were at the 3D Dessert Discovery at the Food & Wine Fest on Friday night. At the end as we were leaving to watch to fireworks at the preferred viewing spot, cast members gave each person a goodie bag and a rain poncho. Poured all day Saturday and we left for Ft. Myers on Sunday. Great weather there - except when we were supposed to leave to come home. Ended up staying two more days so that we could avoid the rain on the drive home.
Now to wash all the summer clothes and repack for the trip back down next month.

For those driving on I75 through GA - be very careful in Turner County (between mile marker 75 and 85) - there are speed traps all over the place. We saw at least 4 sheriffs cars on both the north and the south bound sides in that small stretch.

Good morning from Lake Buena Vista, FL!

We're checking out of our Holiday Inn at DTD and driving over to the Boardwalk.

It's good to read posts by dvczerfs and crusingkat, both record holders on this thread (see page 1).

Now then...it's time for some magic. :wizard:

[And here's foundation of the magic: In 1513, Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon searched unsuccesfully in Florida for the Fountain of Youth. Did it exist? Was it a myth of the native peoples? Well, now. He should have waited until October 1971. That's when Walt Disney World opened! Its the Fountain of Youth!]

It's good to read posts by dvczerfs and crusingkat, both record holders on this thread (see page 1).

[And here's foundation of the magic: In 1513, Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon searched unsuccesfully in Florida for the Fountain of Youth. Did it exist? Was it a myth of the native peoples? Well, now. He should have waited until October 1971. That's when Walt Disney World opened! Its the Fountain of Youth!]

Enjoy! :thumbsup2 wish we were there right now....:cloud9:

i believe one of old ponce's statue can be found at vizcaya, not to far from where you are at now. :thumbsup2

Out of curiosity, how many drive your own vehicles? What do you do to prep them for the ride? we are set to leave in just under 3 weeks, and our Helga has failed her pre trip inspection at the mechanics miserably :eek: Almost $2,000 worth of work they are saying she needs. She is an older van, but we love her and dont want to get rid of her, but I'm beginning to have restless nights just imagining us all broke down somewhere in the middle of South Carolina. I'm freaking out. Shes had the oil done, a new water pump put in, next up are the rear brakes, ball joints, and whatever is now leaking after we got the new water pump ( I know, its THAT bad, we had no idea :mad:) A rental car really isnt an option since a 12 passenger van is over $1000 (train, bus and plane are similar prices) and I figure we might just as well put that money into our van that needs TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH OF WORK. oh wait, did I say that already? sigh. My exciting Disney vacation has turned into Disneygeddon and I am dreading it!!:confused:

Out of curiosity, how many drive your own vehicles? What do you do to prep them for the ride? we are set to leave in just under 3 weeks, and our Helga has failed her pre trip inspection at the mechanics miserably :eek: Almost $2,000 worth of work they are saying she needs. She is an older van, but we love her and dont want to get rid of her, but I'm beginning to have restless nights just imagining us all broke down somewhere in the middle of South Carolina. I'm freaking out. Shes had the oil done, a new water pump put in, next up are the rear brakes, ball joints, and whatever is now leaking after we got the new water pump ( I know, its THAT bad, we had no idea :mad:) A rental car really isnt an option since a 12 passenger van is over $1000 (train, bus and plane are similar prices) and I figure we might just as well put that money into our van that needs TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH OF WORK. oh wait, did I say that already? sigh. My exciting Disney vacation has turned into Disneygeddon and I am dreading it!!:confused:

claire!!! we drive our own van. we use to rent but it got out of hand. with your crew, you would be better off putting the money into your van. it seems your having it looked at and gone over. i would also enroll in aaa. we never leave home with out it. i would stop every so often and check the fluids on the way down and back. tell chris i said hi!!!:thumbsup2

This is our question as well. For our last trip we got super lucky, our friend worked for a rental company and was able to get us an AMAZING deal on the minivan. Since he no longer works there, we're planning on taking our own truck. We do have newer cars but I still worry about breaking down and blowing our vacation budget on repairs.

claire!!! we drive our own van. we use to rent but it got out of hand. with your crew, you would be better off putting the money into your van. it seems your having it looked at and gone over. i would also enroll in aaa. we never leave home with out it. i would stop every so often and check the fluids on the way down and back. tell chris i said hi!!!:thumbsup2
Were definitely looking into AAA, the deluxe package :lmao: I will tell Chris you said HI, hes been working super overtime for trip money, and now car money....I told him as long as he works 120 hours over time each week, we should be just fine!:thumbsup2 LOL

We do have newer cars but I still worry about breaking down and blowing our vacation budget on repairs.

ME TOO! I'm losing sleep at night. Like I said our van is like 10 years old, but its been well maintained, so we werent too concerned until we took it for trip inspection and the place told us we needed all this work. Some of it wasnt really "necessary" like the motor on the left side window is slower than it should be.....so of course my husband is positive theyre just trying to rake us over the coals, but I'm just paranoid enough to let them!!

You can take your truck to any shop and get a trip inspection for usually less than $50 and for me, its worth it. Last year I was worried about Helga but had peace of mind after the shop looked at it and said she was good to go.

Thanks for the replies. I think I just needed to vent! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter