For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might have the longest drive - 1953 miles each way or 3906 miles return trip. Have done it in 2008, 2006 and 2003, I am the only driver as DH does not like to drive on highways (plus 5 times in the 70's with my parents).

Paula

Wow!

The official records rosted on Page One has been updated.

All-Time "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" Records (updated 10/14/11)

Most Total Drives: 51 (since '73): dvczerfs

Most Drives in One Decade/10-Year Period: 23 (2002-2011): bc1836

Most Drives in One Calendar Year: 4 (three times: 2008, 2009, 2010): bc1836; (one time: 2009): cruisingkat

Most Drives in One 12-Month Period: 5 (12/08-12/09): cruising kat;
(12/09-12/10): bc1836

Most "Non-Stop" Drives: 8 (2008-2011): bc1836

Shortest Time Between Drives: 19 days (2009): cruisingkat

Most passengers in one vehicle: 10 (2010: 2 adults, 8 kids; 1999 Chevy Express Van): birdslightyear (aka just*the*ten*of*us)

Longest Drive (one way): 1,953 miles (2011): peigirl (Stratford, Prince Edward Island, Canada)

All the best!

We usually spend 2 nights in a hotel on the way down but last trip we made it to Virginia the first night and PEI late, late, late the second night. I recommend 2 nights lol each way.

Paula

i have to ask, do you stay at saratoga springs in wdw?

LOL we haven't stayed there but have visited. It's really neat to see! I work right across the street from Congress Park and can see the carousel from my office window. High Rock Springs is just down the road and of course there is literally a spa on every corner. Very authentic!

LOL we haven't stayed there but have visited. It's really neat to see! I work right across the street from Congress Park and can see the carousel from my office window. High Rock Springs is just down the road and of course there is literally a spa on every corner. Very authentic!

:rotfl: i dont know if i would want to stay at a resort themed after where i live. i wouldnt be going on vacation.:rotfl: i wouldnt mind living in old key west. :thumbsup2

One week from today! :cool1:

[Trying to s-l-o-w-l-y catch up to dvczerfs' all-time record (total drives), which will probably never be broken.]

All the best. :thumbsup2

Can you tell me a litle more about the 7-19-77 part of the trip? How is 19? I am just trying to figure out where we want to stop our first night? I was thinking Morgantown if all of VW is farily rugged terrain. If it doesn't start getting "bad" until you're farther south, I would like to just keep going. Are there quitea few places to stop or is it really in the middle of nowhere? Thanks! :) We leave in five days!

This depends. How many hours do you drive per day? We live an hour east of Buffalo and can get to Charlotte, NC in 12-13 hours and we only drive 68 - 70 mph. We try to get south of Charlotte the first night, then it is a easy 10 hour drive to WDW. Route 19 in W. VA. really isn't too bad. It is almost all a 4 lane highway and speed limit is 65. HOWEVER, be sure to slow down to the posted speed limits in the small towns you drive through on Route 19. They are well known speed traps.

Driving down in February 2012 (husband does most of the driving, me and 2 kids ride along) from Southern NH. Done this a bunch of times before. Plan to stay over one night just north of Baltimore.

I look forward to trip reports about 95 and any construction/delays.

Driving down in February 2012 (husband does most of the driving, me and 2 kids ride along) from Southern NH. Done this a bunch of times before. Plan to stay over one night just north of Baltimore.

It will be better if you repost your request in January when a more accurate report can be filed; however, we will be glad to provide a report (at least one starting at the Delaware Memorial Bridge) next weekend.

i just came back last sat. but i get on i95 in s. carolina. the construction that was there, didnt slow us up at all.generally, unlike the northeast where we live, they have room to add lanes. if they are working on two lanes, they build 2 more lanes next to them so the traffic keeps going. sometimes they move equiptment, blast etc.. and it may slow you down but they do a better job with there construction than we do up here. our roads were built for horse and buggies.:lmao: i can drive 1090 one way and the only time i hit the brakes is on rt22, 8 miles from my house.:lmao:

This depends. How many hours do you drive per day? We live an hour east of Buffalo and can get to Charlotte, NC in 12-13 hours and we only drive 68 - 70 mph. We try to get south of Charlotte the first night, then it is a easy 10 hour drive to WDW. Route 19 in W. VA. really isn't too bad. It is almost all a 4 lane highway and speed limit is 65. HOWEVER, be sure to slow down to the posted speed limits in the small towns you drive through on Route 19. They are well known speed traps.

Hi Barb,

We usually try to split our days pretty much in half. Last time we drove it took a bit longer because of the weather and the routes we took. We are leaving here Wednesday afternoon. I hope to be on the road by 12 noon. Our plan is Wed drive 12-10pm...but I am not sure where that will leave us? I guess my ain concern is driving through WV in the dark? What do you think? We do not stop to eat (we pack all of our food), but just to use the restrooms and stretch our legs a little. Then I plan on being up and gone by 6:30am Thursday and heading to Saint Augustine for the night. My plan is to get there by dinner time. We should be fine barring any problems/accidents/etc. Friday we will get up, watch the sunrise at the beach and head off to WDW. :goodvibes Does this seem like a realistic plan?

:lmao: how did you manage that!!! you on the east coast and the mil on the west coast??:worship::worship: you sir are a very lucky man!!:worship::lmao: one of these years tammy and i are going to make the drive. im thinking of doing a southern rte, stopping to see the canyon, the dam, sin city (not that i gamble but just to see it) and maybe the byou and disney land. if i can knock tammy out, get her on a short plane ride, i would like to see pearl harb. i wouldnt be in a motor home so i would have to have hotel resis. every night.

Hi Dave,
It was great seeing both of you down there. We've been back for almost a week but I've been so busy this is the first chance I've had to read the thread. Having made the drive to LA I figured I'd just list the places I stop overnight for anyone who's interested. These allow you to leave each day after breakfast and get where you're going around dinner time with roughly 10 hours a day in the car. Westbound: Dayton OH, Springfield MO, Amarillo TX, Flagstaff AZ. Eastbound: Ceder City UT, Denver CO, Topeka KS, Richmond IN. There is really no difference distance-wise or time-wise between taking 70 or 40. These stops are for straight through drives. I've also done it with sightseeing and definitely recommend taking the time to see the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and Hoover Dam, as well as some of the national parks in southern Utah.

Back to WDW, our trip was great, no driving delays to speak of. I think we're in the sweet spot construction-wise this year. All the big projects of the last few years, especially Jacksonville, are finished and the next group hasn't started yet. The weather was spectacular. It was a little warm the first few days but the last week was sunny, 85 during the day and 70 at night, and we left just before several days of rain arrived last weekend. No matter how much planning you do, when it comes to weather you just have to be lucky.

Hi Barb,

We usually try to split our days pretty much in half. Last time we drove it took a bit longer because of the weather and the routes we took. We are leaving here Wednesday afternoon. I hope to be on the road by 12 noon. Our plan is Wed drive 12-10pm...but I am not sure where that will leave us? I guess my ain concern is driving through WV in the dark? What do you think? We do not stop to eat (we pack all of our food), but just to use the restrooms and stretch our legs a little. Then I plan on being up and gone by 6:30am Thursday and heading to Saint Augustine for the night. My plan is to get there by dinner time. We should be fine barring any problems/accidents/etc. Friday we will get up, watch the sunrise at the beach and head off to WDW. :goodvibes Does this seem like a realistic plan?

If you leave at noon, I would guess you could get somewhere around Statesville, NC or a little north of that by 10 pm. There really isn't much of a choice north of Statesville as far as hotels. I, too, don't like to drive in W. VA. in the dark. Route 19 isn't bad in the dark as it's pretty straight. My problem is the expressways in W. VA before you get to 19 and then after you leave 19 going to VA. I will recall moe than once we have run into some very bad fog around Fancy Gap, VA and we just creeped along for what seemed like hours. Your plan to get to St. Augustine the 2nd day sounds good.

Having made the drive to LA I figured I'd just list the places I stop overnight for anyone who's interested. These allow you to leave each day after breakfast and get where you're going around dinner time with roughly 10 hours a day in the car. Westbound: Dayton OH, Springfield MO, Amarillo TX, Flagstaff AZ. Eastbound: Ceder City UT, Denver CO, Topeka KS, Richmond IN. There is really no difference distance-wise or time-wise between taking 70 or 40. These stops are for straight through drives. I've also done it with sightseeing and definitely recommend taking the time to see the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and Hoover Dam, as well as some of the national parks in southern Utah.

When it comes to l-o-n-g distance driving, Fwd Facing Tentacles knows best!

[We suspect the BIG Fwd Facing Tentacles event in CA next year will not be done by car, though.] :banana:

In just 20 days DH and I will be making the 1100 mile drive to WDW! :yay:
The plan is to leave around 4:30-5 am on 11/5 and spend the night in Santee, SC. We will leave around 7 am on 11/6 and drive to Royal Pacific Resort.
On 11/19 we will leave WDW around 11am-12pm and drive to Roanoke Rapids, NC. 11/20 leave around 8 am and drive home. :sad1:
We got a new car (2012 Equinox) last month and we're looking forward to the trip!! :drive:

We're leaving from southeastern Michigan either Thursday evening or Friday morning. We'll drive until we need to stop then finish the drive on Saturday morning.

Two weeks at Disney then we do the whole thing in reverse!

I can't wait!

In just 20 days DH and I will be making the 1100 mile drive to WDW! :yay:
The plan is to leave around 4:30-5 am on 11/5 and spend the night in Santee, SC. We will leave around 7 am on 11/6 and drive to Royal Pacific Resort.
On 11/19 we will leave WDW around 11am-12pm and drive to Roanoke Rapids, NC. 11/20 leave around 8 am and drive home. :sad1:
We got a new car (2012 Equinox) last month and we're looking forward to the trip!! :drive:
:thumbsup2 have a nice trip.

We're leaving from southeastern Michigan either Thursday evening or Friday morning. We'll drive until we need to stop then finish the drive on Saturday morning.

Two weeks at Disney then we do the whole thing in reverse!

I can't wait!

:lmao: fuzzyjelly. :lmao: i think i ate fuzzy jelly when i was a kid. i love your name! :thumbsup2 have a nice trip!!:thumbsup2

Hi Dave,
It was great seeing both of you down there. We've been back for almost a week but I've been so busy this is the first chance I've had to read the thread. Having made the drive to LA I figured I'd just list the places I stop overnight for anyone who's interested. These allow you to leave each day after breakfast and get where you're going around dinner time with roughly 10 hours a day in the car. Westbound: Dayton OH, Springfield MO, Amarillo TX, Flagstaff AZ. Eastbound: Ceder City UT, Denver CO, Topeka KS, Richmond IN. There is really no difference distance-wise or time-wise between taking 70 or 40. These stops are for straight through drives. I've also done it with sightseeing and definitely recommend taking the time to see the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and Hoover Dam, as well as some of the national parks in southern Utah.

Back to WDW, our trip was great, no driving delays to speak of. I think we're in the sweet spot construction-wise this year. All the big projects of the last few years, especially Jacksonville, are finished and the next group hasn't started yet. The weather was spectacular. It was a little warm the first few days but the last week was sunny, 85 during the day and 70 at night, and we left just before several days of rain arrived last weekend. No matter how much planning you do, when it comes to weather you just have to be lucky.

hi sarah and john!!! it was great meeting you guys as well. the weather was great and i think we brought a little home with us for a few days. i spent the weekend getting ready for winter. i hate winter. :sad2: next time you guys get into the area, give us a call maybe we can get together for dinner or something? we are going back down in may and also tammy and i are going again for two weeks in september. we are going september 10th this time. see ya soon! :thumbsup2

Gasoline price (regular) bump in these parts: up six cents in one day ($3.23 to $3.26); up ten cents in a week ($3.19 to $3.29). :sad2:

Gasoline price (regular) bump in these parts: up six cents in one day ($3.23 to $3.26); up ten cents in a week ($3.19 to $3.29). :sad2:

Here they went from $3.32 to $3.44 then $3.49 two days ago. :confused:

Here they went from $3.32 to $3.44 then $3.49 two days ago. :confused:

like the stock market today, gas fell also. it came down 8 cents.if it sticks, maybe we will see something in a few weeks. when the gas market goes up, it hits the pump in days. when the market drops, it waits to see whats going on and if it stays down,after 2 weeks, the price at the pump falls a few cents. just someone trying to make a buck. be it the gas man,electric man, disney, taxman,college, insurance man, i just keep smilin and payin. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter