• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Feb 2013 car rental

I am looking at Expedia and I am seeing Advantage, Dollar, Thrifty, and Payless all for under $200 for a Midsize. Am I missing something? Is there a catch somewhere that I'm not seeing. I had thought about just using ME but may do a rental.

I am looking at Expedia and I am seeing Advantage, Dollar, Thrifty, and Payless all for under $200 for a Midsize. Am I missing something? Is there a catch somewhere that I'm not seeing. I had thought about just using ME but may do a rental.

I have a rental with Advantage. I did it in November when Advantage was part of Hertz at a AAA office. It was suppose to include the additional driver if we are both AAA members, which my husband and I are. I called on it a few days ago. Advantage is no longer part of Hertz. And they said, there is an additional driver fee.

If there are 2 drivers, you need to know if there is an additional fee.

I have booked with Cosco. It is still more than the Advantage costs, but it includes the additional driver. It is still $60 more than the Advantage rental, but Avis is on site. And I do not have to worry about it.

I will continue looking and checking my prices daily.

I checked my prices for a 2 week rental yesterday, picking up in Tampa. It was 606. This morning, I checked and it was 410, but I did not have the time to book at that moment. I just checked it now, and rebooked for $312 for a full size. We are picking up and dropping off at TPA.

Prices still seem rather high for the 1st week of February? What gives??

No idea but they are astronomical for the last week of February as well. I think if nothing changes I will try a "name your own price" rental on Priceline or Hotwire. I won't do that until just before we leave though because once that's paid for it's locked in. It's not following the trends it has on my last 3 trips so I am out of answers.

My price with Dollar for a Mid Size from 2/16 through 2/24 just went down from $329.90 to $311.21. This was with the City Special.

I noticed that rental pick up at MCO for the first week of Feb are higher than if I pick up at the Car Care Center.

Almost all of them are lower tonight for my week (Feb 22- March 4th).

Alamo has gone down from ridiculous to still too expensive but it's a step in the right direction. Dollar, Alamo and Budget are all hovering around 350 when even yesterday they were up over 700 for a midsize. So it's not there yet, but they are dropping. Also, Expedia.ca (Canadian) is cheaper than Expedia.com by a little bit for rentals.

I'm looking for 11 days Feb 7 to 18. So far I have seen
no downward movement on Alamo/National. I had the same situation in December and the price barely went down until about 4 days before my travel date.

The good news is that I've just gotten Dollar city special for $245 for a Compact. So far this is the best I've seen.....

The 2nd runner up at this point is Enterprise at $278 for a Econobox.

C'mon Alamo and National....I have been a loyal customer with a rental very couple of months.....but it is looking like those days are over. :cool2:

I'm looking for 11 days Feb 7 to 18. So far I have seen
no downward movement on Alamo/National. I had the same situation in December and the price barely went down until about 4 days before my travel date.

My dates are the 10th through the 20th, and I noticed that the prices with airline codes, etc, went down about 1.5 weeks ago (or maybe not so long, maybe longer...I posted here about it when I noticed it, though). It's still really high, but not AS high.

For those looking at National, have you looked into the KLM/Air France/Flying Blue program code? I joined KLM/Flying Blue the other night and found the code in their "partners" section, and it brings the price in the lowest and includes things like loss damage waiver. It seems to be a good code, and like I said it's there on their website when you join their program and are logged in. The only issue is that you can't modify a reservation with it online; you have to call.

My City Special price for a mid size with Dollar (2/16 through 2/24) went down from $311 yesterday to $259 today.

My dates are the 10th through the 20th, and I noticed that the prices with airline codes, etc, went down about 1.5 weeks ago (or maybe not so long, maybe longer...I posted here about it when I noticed it, though). It's still really high, but not AS high.

For those looking at National, have you looked into the KLM/Air France/Flying Blue program code? I joined KLM/Flying Blue the other night and found the code in their "partners" section, and it brings the price in the lowest and includes things like loss damage waiver. It seems to be a good code, and like I said it's there on their website when you join their program and are logged in. The only issue is that you can't modify a reservation with it online; you have to call.

Thanks for the reminder with the KLM code......this is the code of last resort for me because it is still too high for my liking and I typically only use it when I need a 1 way rental where it charges a per km/mile amount.

........just checked Dollar City Special now and my 11 days for a Compact are down to $227 from $245 last night.

Might be a good time to check on prices if you're looking for early/mid Feb.

Well this is giving me hope for the end of February. Like some of you, I'd really prefer Alamo as I love picking my own car and using the kiosk but they are still very high.

I just checked with Southwest and using my rapidrewards account I can get a 9 day rental for 287 from MCO to MCO with Dollar so that's even a bit better than the city special.
Still hoping for 200 or under though.

I just booked a Dollar full size (City Special) for $149 total, Feb 9-14. That is MUCH lower than it had been. I will keep checking for better though.

Dollar is still dropping. Keep checking everyone:)
I am making a reservation at 240 for a midsize. I am still hoping for lower but I can live with this.

Dollar is still dropping. Keep checking everyone:)
I am making a reservation at 240 for a midsize. I am still hoping for lower but I can live with this.

Thanks! I booked for $259 this morning and now it's $217. Glad I checked again!

Ok.. Alamo is dropping now too. Looking at 318 for the 9 days with my Insiders discount (but no coupon added). Still 78 dollars higher than my reservation with Dollar at this point. This is the movement I've been waiting for. In the past sometimes they would drop 5 or 6 times over a 24 hour period. So once you make your reservations, check every couple of hours and remember to cancel the last booking!:thumbsup2

Dollar has gone back up this morning. What I booked for $217 last night is back up to $311, which is what it was on 1/11.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter