Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. My 66 year old mother had a stroke 3 months ago and has recovered very well, in fact we cannot even tell she had a stroke - so I'm not worried about her ability to communicate or anything like that. BUT because she hasn't had an opportunity to take a driver's test, she hasn't been cleared to drive, so renting a car is not an option. She is flying alone into Sanford airport, arriving at 10:30 at night. She needs to get to Port Orleans Riverside at Disney. Is Uber a good option for her at this time of night and for this route? We have never used Uber and I have tried to read through these posts, but I was hoping someone could give me info specific to this idea. Thank you so much for any help!

I know theres a couple of drivers up there that keep an eye on flight schedules. The best thing to do is open up the app at that time over a few different days and see whet cars are actually available.

Thank you, I will do that. So, I've read conflicting information and want to make sure - can they pick up at the airport? I don't want her to have to ride a shuttle to a hotel to be picked up, so wanted to make sure. Also, I read that Uber sometimes cannot go through the gates at Disney hotels. I don't want her to have to walk in the dark from the gate to the hotel. I'm sorry if these have already been answered - I just have read conflicting info and want to make sure I have the most up to date correct information. I really appreciate your help!

We just returned from a couple of days at WDW! Stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and used Uber a couple of nights to go over to Epcot and to dinner. They were excellent! First of all, anytime we called for a ride the driver was there in under 5 minutes. All of the drivers were friendly and courteous and had nice clean cars (much cleaner than my own!). Plus, it was less expensive for us to use them than it would have been to pay for the shuttle and a heck of alot more convenient! It was our first time using this service but it will definitely not be our last!

I just want to thank RideShareRob for starting this thread. My 12 yr old DD & I were in FL for a cheerleading competition, and we needed to get to the Swan on Sunday from where we were staying with the team. Because I found this thread, we tried Uber, and it was a great choice. We then used it to get to MCO yesterday. We had very nice drivers, and will definitely look at using Uber on our next trip. Thanks!! :car:

Thank you, I will do that. So, I've read conflicting information and want to make sure - can they pick up at the airport? I don't want her to have to ride a shuttle to a hotel to be picked up, so wanted to make sure. Also, I read that Uber sometimes cannot go through the gates at Disney hotels. I don't want her to have to walk in the dark from the gate to the hotel. I'm sorry if these have already been answered - I just have read conflicting info and want to make sure I have the most up to date correct information. I really appreciate your help!
Sanford is no problem and the resorts are no problem. I update the original thread as info changes so always refer back to that. :)

The gf and I are going down for Christmas week and are thinking about using uber to get to the outlets and possibly florida mall. Being from Canada those I won't have my phone on but will be using wifi. How well can we use the app with just wifi ? I seem to remember the outlets and florida mall have shotty wifi

Balbar...Uber Black can pick up at MCO as far as I know now. That's in the original post, though a little bit backwards and you can miss it.

OFF TOPIC (and I'm not sure why I'm mentioning it)

My 66 year old mother had a stroke 3 months ago and has recovered very well, in fact we cannot even tell she had a stroke - so I'm not worried about her ability to communicate or anything like that. BUT because she hasn't had an opportunity to take a driver's test, she hasn't been cleared to drive

FWIW, my MIL simply had her doctor OK driving again and that was it. I mean, WE didn't want her driving, but SHE did, so she went for it. She even did have an eye test at the DMV just a year after her first THREE strokes and passed it, despite the first one causing a calcium embolus to catch in a retinal artery, knocking out half of that eye's vision.

I'm not totally sure why I'm sharing this, because it's been such a bone of contention with MIL (and now she swears that she does NOT drive though she keeps her car so others can drive her and because she thinks it's a status symbol at her lower income senior housing), but you could certainly take her to an eye doctor to see what's going on with her eyes. If you're interested in her reflexes, perhaps book some driving *lessons*?

Ultimately, we found that there was literally NOTHING we could do, unless we wanted to try to prove her incompetent, to keep her from driving. Even now there's nothing, because her license doesn't expire until 2017 and I bet she could fake her way through that eye exam, too. (they only do random driving tests here)

Maybe I'm kind of warning you about what she *could* do if she wanted to. (a warning of sorts)

I think you posted this while I was replying to the previous poster. Pop works the same as POR. Just be sure to let us know if not being picked up at reception.

As for arranged times, thats usually at a drivers discretion. I personally hate that area and I drive myself right back to Disney after. Having said that, cars are relatively easy to get. And if you do have an arranged time, Always do the billing through the app. The insurance from uber only applies to rides done via the app. Never do cash unless its a tip.

Just a quick question addition, we want to go from AOA to Universal one day, we can order the Uber on WIFI at AOA but is there any WIFI spots at Universal/IOA where we can order one from our ride home? We are also Canadian and won't have a data pkg. so need to know where wifi is if we want to use UBER for the way home.

I saw a post at the beginning that said Uber drivers don't typically have carseats...why is that? Would Lyft drivers be any more likely to have them? There'll be 6 of us on our trip in the spring, including my 5 year old niece and 20 month nephew. We don't mind the busses, but this would have been a nice option for a couple of breakfasts.

I've never used Uber before but am considering it for my upcoming trip for the journey between POR and Universal Studios, what's the wifi like at the drop off area of Universal? As an international visitor I won't have data but I will have an iPhone I can connect to wifi with. As I understand it you pay via app when you arrive at your destination so you'd need internet access? It's been a few years but I seem to remember spotty signal while waiting for the Mears shuttles. What would happen if you arrived at your destination and couldn't connect to wifi?

Hopefully a quick question , I want to use Uber to go to MK from POFQ - one morning I have a tour scheduled at 8:00 am but there are am emh so park is opening at 8 . Another morning , I have an adr at CP at 8:40 with a current opening time of 9 am . This will be Good Friday and the day before Easter , in case that effects the answer. Finally , the question, how much time would you allow for these trips ? Just wondering when I should try to get a car . TIA

I've never used Uber before but am considering it for my upcoming trip for the journey between POR and Universal Studios, what's the wifi like at the drop off area of Universal? As an international visitor I won't have data but I will have an iPhone I can connect to wifi with. As I understand it you pay via app when you arrive at your destination so you'd need internet access? It's been a few years but I seem to remember spotty signal while waiting for the Mears shuttles. What would happen if you arrived at your destination and couldn't connect to wifi?
You need internet to request a car. However, the billing is done based on when the driver marks the trip as started and ended.

Hopefully a quick question , I want to use Uber to go to MK from POFQ - one morning I have a tour scheduled at 8:00 am but there are am emh so park is opening at 8 . Another morning , I have an adr at CP at 8:40 with a current opening time of 9 am . This will be Good Friday and the day before Easter , in case that effects the answer. Finally , the question, how much time would you allow for these trips ? Just wondering when I should try to get a car . TIA

Look to see what the wait time for a car is about 10-15 minutes in advance of when you need to leave. Wait times at Disney vary from 2-10 mins on average. Just be sure to be ready to go when you do request a car as they wont wait more than a couple minutes for you once they arrive.

I saw a post at the beginning that said Uber drivers don't typically have carseats...why is that? Would Lyft drivers be any more likely to have them? There'll be 6 of us on our trip in the spring, including my 5 year old niece and 20 month nephew. We don't mind the busses, but this would have been a nice option for a couple of breakfasts.

main reason why no taxi/uber/lyft usually has car seats is space. We need to be able to accomodate 4 or 6 adults (depending on X or XL) and frequently theres strollers and/or luggage as well.

Look to see what the wait time for a car is about 10-15 minutes in advance of when you need to leave. Wait times at Disney vary from 2-10 mins on average. Just be sure to be ready to go when you do request a car as they wont wait more than a couple minutes for you once they arrive.
Thanks. How long should I allow for the actual trip time to MK ? I would prefer the CR then walkover but understand may have to be dropped off at TTC ?

This is a great thread and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for posting!

I do have one additional question. Are you allowed to bring strollers? We will only have 2 people, so I don't think space should be an issue.

Great thread. I have a question about Braves Spring Training games over at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex. The traffic after a game is extremely congested. The taxi stand gets 50 people deep, and the congestion is so bad that taxis have a hard time getting in and out.
1) Is Uber/Lyft a good option?
2) Would it better to take a bus to the All Star Sports Resort and take Uber from there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter