Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

On the whole car seat thing, I got an email from Uber with a survey about Ubers providing car seats, and would I be interested. So we may see it here. They just take up so much room though so I don't see many people signing up to do it.

On the whole car seat thing, I got an email from Uber with a survey about Ubers providing car seats, and would I be interested. So we may see it here. They just take up so much room though so I don't see many people signing up to do it.
Maybe they'll let you charge a couple bucks extra per ride, to make it worth your while.

Interesting
The problem I see is installation and safety
All car seats are not easy or fast to install
They expire too
I can imagine it's going to be tricky to provide them

So far a bit mixed bag...this is my first time using uber, ever. So this trip, using tips from this thread, we decided to give it a try. (We are on property now)

Last night, after fantasmic we decided it was to early to go back to our hotel (pop), instead we wanted to go to Disney springs. Uber to the rescue. Quick easy, painless, would have been cheap, but it was my free ride. Great driver.

Tonight, we wandered out the international gate of epcot to stroll the boardwalk. Then decided the front of epcot to catch a bus was way to far to walk back to... so uber to the rescue again. Walked over to the front of the Dolphin, and called for it on the app. The driver... a very nice, if not odd guy, didn't know what Pop Century was, or where it was. Said he had never heard of it. He had 3 GPS units running, all telling him to go other directions at every turn. Luckily we usually drive to wdw so I knew the way and talked him through it. He certainly was nice enough, and we definitely got to where we were going, but in this environment, I shouldn't know more about the roads than the driver. I tried to give him 3 stars, but the email I got said I gave him 4... a bit suspicious, but maybe I didn't quite hit the stars right on the app.

Either way, we are going to uber to a adr at Sanaa on friday. Hoping for the best, I suspect the odd guy was the exception.

So far a bit mixed bag...this is my first time using uber, ever. So this trip, using tips from this thread, we decided to give it a try. (We are on property now)

Last night, after fantasmic we decided it was to early to go back to our hotel (pop), instead we wanted to go to Disney springs. Uber to the rescue. Quick easy, painless, would have been cheap, but it was my free ride. Great driver.

Tonight, we wandered out the international gate of epcot to stroll the boardwalk. Then decided the front of epcot to catch a bus was way to far to walk back to... so uber to the rescue again. Walked over to the front of the Dolphin, and called for it on the app. The driver... a very nice, if not odd guy, didn't know what Pop Century was, or where it was. Said he had never heard of it. He had 3 GPS units running, all telling him to go other directions at every turn. Luckily we usually drive to wdw so I knew the way and talked him through it. He certainly was nice enough, and we definitely got to where we were going, but in this environment, I shouldn't know more about the roads than the driver. I tried to give him 3 stars, but the email I got said I gave him 4... a bit suspicious, but maybe I didn't quite hit the stars right on the app.

Either way, we are going to uber to a adr at Sanaa on friday. Hoping for the best, I suspect the odd guy was the exception.

We also had a mixed bag when we used Uber for the first time on our weekend trip. We live in the northeast so flights can get delayed because of weather often. I figured it would be easier just to call for Uber when we do arrive in case of delays. We flew into Sanford and had to go to Portofino Bay Resort at Universal. I use the app for a driver and as luck would have it, there was one like 2 minutes away. By the time I was done typing in our destination, the driver was calling to see exactly where we were. Our trip to the hotel was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant ride or driver. 5 stars all the way.

Our return trip to the airport was totally different. We had a very early flight back home....7am out of Sanford. I use the app to call for a driver around 4:15am. One was close by and was there in a few minutes. I made sure that I put into the app that we were going to Orlando Sanford airport. I also reconfirmed with the driver about our destination. One of the first things he tells us is that his gps sometimes messes up. Ummm, ok. He also has two gps's going at the same time.....one on his phone and a regular portable unit attached to his window. Everything is going great until he misses a turn. Instead of just following the gps as it recalculates, he reprograms it. And puts in Orlando International Airport.

I wasn't paying too much attention when he first missed the turn. After about 15 minutes of not getting closer to our destination, I started to listen to the directions on his gps. I realized something was wrong and pulled up my maps app to see where we are. He had driven us 15 minutes in the wrong direction. I got him going in the right direction and spent the rest of the trip double checking that his "new" directions matched mine. Our trip ended with our driver telling us that he didn't know there were two airports down there.

Our charge for the drive was higher than it should have been. I did contact Uber and explained what happened. They were very quick to fix the charge and refunded what was the overage. I would use Uber again and realize that we just had a "bad" driver.

I'm more of a lurker but thought I'd share my knowledge about Uber Family since we've used it before. Not sure if it'll be the same in Orlando though.

You pay an extra $10 for Uber Family. They only bring one car seat. It's an incredibly compact seat and they install it pretty quick! It's called Immi Go. I'd ensure you have some knowledge on installation and how to use it yourself though. Our first driver installed it but it was a bit off and we had to adjust and he didn't seem very knowledgable. Our second driver knew what he was doing and was very careful to make sure my son was in properly.

So just my experience in NYC. Will be interesting to see what happens in Orlando!

Reading this thread convinced me to not rent a car when I go in April and go all in with Uber/Lyft. I'll be interested to see how it goes!

I'm more of a lurker but thought I'd share my knowledge about Uber Family since we've used it before. Not sure if it'll be the same in Orlando though.

You pay an extra $10 for Uber Family. They only bring one car seat. It's an incredibly compact seat and they install it pretty quick! It's called Immi Go. I'd ensure you have some knowledge on installation and how to use it yourself though. Our first driver installed it but it was a bit off and we had to adjust and he didn't seem very knowledgable. Our second driver knew what he was doing and was very careful to make sure my son was in properly.

So just my experience in NYC. Will be interesting to see what happens in Orlando!

So is this seat a 5 point seat and can go forward or backward?

we received a survey asking us about whether we already owned the car seat or would buy one if we didn't. So it'll be interesting to see if they tell us what one we need to buy. I'm leaning towards to signing up for it..I have a Buick Enclave..which has a lot of room but I frequently get people who use it all up...so there really isn't extra space for me to carry that seat around..

We also had a mixed bag when we used Uber for the first time on our weekend trip. We live in the northeast so flights can get delayed because of weather often. I figured it would be easier just to call for Uber when we do arrive in case of delays. We flew into Sanford and had to go to Portofino Bay Resort at Universal. I use the app for a driver and as luck would have it, there was one like 2 minutes away. By the time I was done typing in our destination, the driver was calling to see exactly where we were. Our trip to the hotel was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a more pleasant ride or driver. 5 stars all the way.

Our return trip to the airport was totally different. We had a very early flight back home....7am out of Sanford. I use the app to call for a driver around 4:15am. One was close by and was there in a few minutes. I made sure that I put into the app that we were going to Orlando Sanford airport. I also reconfirmed with the driver about our destination. One of the first things he tells us is that his gps sometimes messes up. Ummm, ok. He also has two gps's going at the same time.....one on his phone and a regular portable unit attached to his window. Everything is going great until he misses a turn. Instead of just following the gps as it recalculates, he reprograms it. And puts in Orlando International Airport.

I wasn't paying too much attention when he first missed the turn. After about 15 minutes of not getting closer to our destination, I started to listen to the directions on his gps. I realized something was wrong and pulled up my maps app to see where we are. He had driven us 15 minutes in the wrong direction. I got him going in the right direction and spent the rest of the trip double checking that his "new" directions matched mine. Our trip ended with our driver telling us that he didn't know there were two airports down there.

Our charge for the drive was higher than it should have been. I did contact Uber and explained what happened. They were very quick to fix the charge and refunded what was the overage. I would use Uber again and realize that we just had a "bad" driver.

Unfortunately not every ride can be perfect. Usually for every bad uber story I hear, there's about ten bad mears stories....in fact, I just had a lady last week who I was driving back to MCO, and she told me she had asked the dispatcher at mco about uber(there's her first mistake) and the guy said it'd be twice the cost of a cab, and the ride to the dolphin would be $40. It came to $79.95 plus tip. uberBlack from MCO is about $100 and she said she'd have paid the extra $20 for a nicer car. The ride back was uberSelect and was $54....so there ya go.

As a general rule, don't use gps at wdw. It's horribly wrong usually and sends you on roads that you can't take...,like trying to go through the service gate at the back of Epcot. So a big red flag no matter who you're riding with. Although if you're going off property its usually fine.

Unfortunately not every ride can be perfect. Usually for every bad uber story I hear, there's about ten bad mears stories....in fact, I just had a lady last week who I was driving back to MCO, and she told me she had asked the dispatcher at mco about uber(there's her first mistake) and the guy said it'd be twice the cost of a cab, and the ride to the dolphin would be $40. It came to $79.95 plus tip. uberBlack from MCO is about $100 and she said she'd have paid the extra $20 for a nicer car. The ride back was uberSelect and was $54....so there ya go.

As a general rule, don't use gps at wdw. It's horribly wrong usually and sends you on roads that you can't take...,like trying to go through the service gate at the back of Epcot. So a big red flag no matter who you're riding with. Although if you're going off property its usually fine.

To follow up on my bad driver.... after 2 extra rides, a total of 4 trips, I can say that uber was good, except that one time...and we did still get to where we were going that time too.

It was really great to know that we were not tied exclusively to the bus system. The buses were good too. It was just so convenient to be able to wander off, and know that when we got tired, we could call uber to come and get us. We got to Disney springs and walked the boardwalk area.. 2 places we wouldn't have gone if it hadn't been for uber.

Hi! So I am doing a split stay at two different hotels. Would it be better to use an Uber to take me and my suitcase from one resort to the other? I have never used an Uber, so I am new to this. Would be going from POR to POP. Thanks!

OH, I didn't expect perfection. I just didn't expect to have to direct our driver to the airport after he got turned around in the wrong direction and would have taken us to the wrong airport. But it did happen and it is what it is. That drive was less than I expected. But Uber took care of things when I sent an email. I didn't want or expect a full refund. And I wouldn't hesitate to use the service again.

Hi! So I am doing a split stay at two different hotels. Would it be better to use an Uber to take me and my suitcase from one resort to the other? I have never used an Uber, so I am new to this. Would be going from POR to POP. Thanks!

Doesn't Disney transfer your luggage for a split stay?

We are WDW veterans who've always used cabs when we needed transport other than the buses. We always asked the drivers if they had car seats and just moved to the next one if not. Think we always found a car seat by the second taxi. Never tried Uber and would loooove to try it in place of high priced taxis. Fingers crossed Uber Family comes by June!!! Doesn't make sense to not offer it in one of the most family/children-oriented tourist destinations in the world!!:)

Doesn't Disney transfer your luggage for a split stay?
Yes they will move your luggage

We have a 1;50pm Saturday departure from Sandford airport. What time should we book the uber at if we want to arrive there at 11:50am? I'm not sure about Saturday traffic..n the past for very early a.m weekend flights we have allowed one hour..would this be okay later in the day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter