• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I have a Windows phone with the Uber app and can't seem to figure out how to input destinations around WDW. Most locations just come up as "Bay Lake." What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

I saw a post at the beginning that said Uber drivers don't typically have carseats...why is that? Would Lyft drivers be any more likely to have them? There'll be 6 of us on our trip in the spring, including my 5 year old niece and 20 month nephew. We don't mind the busses, but this would have been a nice option for a couple of breakfasts.
I'm going to say that liability is a huge reason, maybe even more than space.
It's so difficult to get many seats properly installed (some in some cars can take 20 min) and who knows if they are expired, been in a wreck, etc.
I'd personally never use a car seat provided by an unknown source.
We have a bubble bum that we use for DGD (she's going on 8 but we still use it)
With an infant I'm thinking that Uber/Lyft is not a viable option, unfortunately, unless you plan to bring a car seat with you.
They have some that can be strollers too so maybe that's an option?

I apologize if this was answered earlier. Our flight home is Friday 3/25 at 6am (busy Spring break time). How likely is it that we could get an uber from Universal to MCO at 3am? If it's unlikely, I was going to schedule private transportation with Tony so I'm trying to plan ahead instead of winging it at 3am :). @RideShareRob

Last edited:
Quick question, It will be me, wife, 4 year old and 6 year old. Will we be able to use Uber? I wasn't sure what the seat belt law is with Uber.

Quick question, It will be me, wife, 4 year old and 6 year old. Will we be able to use Uber? I wasn't sure what the seat belt law is with Uber.
Your 4yo is required to be in a car seat. I would consider a Bubblebum seat.
By FL law the 6 yo does not have to be in a seat. We still bring our bubblebum for the 7 yo as it is safer, despite the FL law.

will we be able to use a taxi with a 6 and 4 year old with no booster seat?
Not really. But a taxi will take you
The difference is in a taxi the parent is responsible if they got pulled over. Taxi drivers are not the responsible party. Uber drivers don't get that protection

When downloading the app you have to give a cc # or promo code or PayPal #. I don't have PayPal and don't like the idea of using my cc, What if you want to use a prepaid card??, which card will work??

I just wanted to say thanks to Rob for all of the info in this thread. While I didn't need Uber at Disney, reading through all of this thread as it has progressed gave me the confidence to use Uber after a 13 hour train ride to a place I had never been (it was at the end of Christmas break and I had to pick up my children who had spent the week at a Navy base with their dad). It was 9:30pm and I just needed to get 1 mile to my hotel from a little train station. I had set up Uber in case I decided to go that way and I did. My ride was there within a minute or two, she was delightful and while the entire experience was only about 5 minutes it was very pleasant, and actually ended up being free since I had a code but I did give my driver $5 because I was just soo happy to get where I needed to go safely. I was going to use Uber again in the morning to get back to the train station (I went down one day and then back home with my children the next) and had been watching the app to see wait times but then my kids came and got me instead. The anticipated wait averaged about 4 minutes all of the times I checked. Anyway, all of that to say thank you for giving this female traveling alone to a place far from home the confidence to do something out of her comfort zone (I have never ridden in a cab or needed any kind of riding service so this was all new to me), I had a very positive experience!

This is a great thread and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for posting!

I do have one additional question. Are you allowed to bring strollers? We will only have 2 people, so I don't think space should be an issue.

Strollers are fine. I see them all the time.

Great thread. I have a question about Braves Spring Training games over at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex. The traffic after a game is extremely congested. The taxi stand gets 50 people deep, and the congestion is so bad that taxis have a hard time getting in and out.
1) Is Uber/Lyft a good option?
2) Would it better to take a bus to the All Star Sports Resort and take Uber from there?

1) Absolutely. You guarantee yourself a driver.

2)If cabs have a hard time getting in/out so will we. Going to sports or AA or Pop via disney bus could cut down your overall travel time substantially. Depends how badly they are backed up as well

I have a Windows phone with the Uber app and can't seem to figure out how to input destinations around WDW. Most locations just come up as "Bay Lake." What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Try typing the name of your location. example "Disney Springs"

I apologize if this was answered earlier. Our flight home is Friday 3/25 at 6am (busy Spring break time). How likely is it that we could get an uber from Universal to MCO at 3am? If it's unlikely, I was going to schedule private transportation with Tony so I'm trying to plan ahead instead of winging it at 3am :). @RideShareRob

Id say its very likely. Theres people who work overnights around universal,idrive, and dis.

When downloading the app you have to give a cc # or promo code or PayPal #. I don't have PayPal and don't like the idea of using my cc, What if you want to use a prepaid card??, which card will work??

None of them. Although, you should be aware that the driver does not have access to your payment method. All we know is that if youre getting in our car, payment has already been guaranteed and taken care of. If you experience great service, tips are accepted, but not required, and are cash-only (no way to do it in-app)

I wanted to take a moment here and point out that rate cuts have happened again in Orlando. We dont go into specifics on this thread (per the mods) about rates, but after expenses like gas,etc many drivers for UberX are making less than min wage. Which does mean there are now less people driving that service level. If you get good service from your driver, it is now more important than ever to tip. If the good drivers cant make money, theyre going to stop driving. Tips are a sognificant and important part of an uberX drivers income. A dollar or two makes all the difference. Thanks!

(those that have been following me for awhile on here know that I dont do X anymore, only XL and Select..so Im not going anywhere for now)

And while Im thinking about it, If you have a great experience using Uber at Disney be sure to let Disney know by emailing and/or tweeting. They do keep track of these things and it plays a huge part in how they handle us at the parks and resorts.

Very good to know. I had a code the one time I used Uber and wasn't sure how that would affect my driver. I had put $5 in my pocket in case I decided to try Uber, which I did. We only went a mile but that tip was $5 well spent for the pleasant ride in a strange place, by myself at night!

I wanted to take a moment here and point out that rate cuts have happened again in Orlando. We dont go into specifics on this thread (per the mods) about rates, but after expenses like gas,etc many drivers for UberX are making less than min wage. Which does mean there are now less people driving that service level. If you get good service from your driver, it is now more important than ever to tip. If the good drivers cant make money, theyre going to stop driving. Tips are a sognificant and important part of an uberX drivers income. A dollar or two makes all the difference. Thanks!

(those that have been following me for awhile on here know that I dont do X anymore, only XL and Select..so Im not going anywhere for now)

And while Im thinking about it, If you have a great experience using Uber at Disney be sure to let Disney know by emailing and/or tweeting. They do keep track of these things and it plays a huge part in how they handle us at the parks and resorts.
Thank you for sharing this information. I will be sure we always have cash on hand for tips now.

If we have only 2 adults with 2 suitcases we check when flying, 2 medium duffle bags and a medium backpack, what size car will we need to get from POR to Beach Club?

I'd personally never use a car seat provided by an unknown source.
We have a bubble bum that we use for DGD (she's going on 8 but we still use it)

Same.
DS used the bubblebum on trips (at home he was in a highback until he outgrew it then a lowback until he fit into our back seat seatbelts) until he could reliably fit properly into any seatbelt in any rental car we got. He was well into 8, if not beyond, before that time came. And he is tall, with a lot of his height back then in his torso. So don't be surprised if you still use it for some time, depending on how tall she is. The BB is terrific!

Same.
DS used the bubblebum on trips (at home he was in a highback until he outgrew it then a lowback until he fit into our back seat seatbelts) until he could reliably fit properly into any seatbelt in any rental car we got. He was well into 8, if not beyond, before that time came. And he is tall, with a lot of his height back then in his torso. So don't be surprised if you still use it for some time, depending on how tall she is. The BB is terrific!
Yeah, DGD is tall also but no way close to no longer needing a car seat booster, even though the law in FL says she can ride in a car without anything. She's still in high back booster here at home.
It sure does make it hard to use ride sharing with kids but folks do need to realize they need to plan for something. Especially if they are under 6. 6 and over I guess is up to each individual to decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter