• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Member Cruise ~ August 24, 2015

Hi Connie and Welcome!:welcome:

The meetup at The Top of The World is opened to all on the night before we embark, as is the Embarkation meet! Some of us will gather for lunch on the sea day, in Cabanas and will meet to trade pins.

We are Bobbi & Tom and we are hoping our Ohio house really does sell so we can look for a Florida home during the time we have between now and the cruise. We really want to be snowbirds.

Bobbi:)

He'll Everyone! We are so late to join this party, but we have a group of four going! We are so excited - signed up a while ago but didn't know about this group. Last time we cruised with Disney was 13 years ago! I know we are too late to sign up for the fun things I've been reading about like the fish extenders, but if there is something we can do let me know! I will introduce our group:
Connie Johnson, 69 and Nana of the group
Brian Johnson 29, connies youngest son, true Disney fan, "extra special" adult who can't read or write, but has a great mind for all things Disney!
Janelle Butler, 47 Connie's oldest daughter
Abbie Butler, 14 Janelles daughter, Brian's niece and of course her heart belongs to Nana!

We ar all DVC members, live northwest of Chicago, and will be staying at the animal kingdom the 2 nights before the cruise! As we just joined this dis board now, any advice for us would be awesome! Thanks!!! Looking forwar to meeting you all!
Welcome! I am April and hubby and I are taking this cruise as our first vacay without kids in 15 years. It's our kids second week of school and the grandparents are staying with them. Of our three, our youngest is extra special as well and I am nervous to leave him for over a week.
If your group likes pin trading there are a few of us meeting right before lunch at Cabanas on sea day, near the elevators. Otherwise, hope we meet you at one of the get togethers. Patty has them all listed on the very first post. Hope you can join us!

Hi There :wave2:

I can't believe we are almost there! We signed up on June 22 2014(!!!) (seriously, over a year ago) and the phones went live at 8 am. I remember waiting and waiting to get through, and here we are! Many thanks to all who set up the FE, the CE, provided all the info about the cruise. What a fun group. Bruce and I will be at the Top of the World on 8/23 at 8:30 pm (actually probably before...) for those who will be at WDW prior to the cruise. It will be great to meet people ahead of time.

Meg

Meg, I know, it was so long ago!!!!! We are hoping to get to the meet up on the 23rd but that is our Epcot day so really just depends. It's been two years since we've been to WDW and I just love to see all the shows.

He'll Everyone! We are so late to join this party, but we have a group of four going! We are so excited - signed up a while ago but didn't know about this group. Last time we cruised with Disney was 13 years ago! I know we are too late to sign up for the fun things I've been reading about like the fish extenders, but if there is something we can do let me know! I will introduce our group:
Brian Johnson 29, connies youngest son, true Disney fan, "extra special" adult who can't read or write, but has a great mind for all things Disney!
Abbie Butler, 14 Janelles daughter, Brian's niece and of course her heart belongs to Nana!

We ar all DVC members, live northwest of Chicago, and will be staying at the animal kingdom the 2 nights before the cruise! As we just joined this dis board now, any advice for us would be awesome! Thanks!!! Looking forwar to meeting you all!

Welcome aboard Connie. As April mentioned there are several meet ups planned and they are posted in the first post.

I am assembling our Candy Exchange gifts!

Our realtor suggested we put our Ohio house back on the market as he cannot get straight forward answers from the buyers lending company. This sets us back to May when the "buyers" signed the agreement to close on July 31, and we have complied with everything they asked. Ugh...we have missed the busiest time for home sales, and our house is empty because we had been assured things were going well. We have given away most furniture, so if we decide to move back to Ohio and try again next spring, we have to furnish Kitchen, family room, including a TV and we still will have 5 empty rooms!

So a dear friend has reminded me that I can now walk 100% better than I could in March, and that's what I could concentrate on....I am so disappointed but she is right.

I am assembling our Candy Exchange gifts!

Our realtor suggested we put our Ohio house back on the market as he cannot get straight forward answers from the buyers lending company. This sets us back to May when the "buyers" signed the agreement to close on July 31, and we have complied with everything they asked. Ugh...we have missed the busiest time for home sales, and our house is empty because we had been assured things were going well. We have given away most furniture, so if we decide to move back to Ohio and try again next spring, we have to furnish Kitchen, family room, including a TV and we still will have 5 empty rooms!

So a dear friend has reminded me that I can now walk 100% better than I could in March, and that's what I could concentrate on....I am so disappointed but she is right.

Bobbi, I am so very sorry!

Thanks, Pat...the only realtor we now plan to see is one in Port Saint Lucie. We have not looked in that area before, so we will just ask to see communities that at least have a clubhouse and community pool.

We got a better rental car rate by dropping it off in MCO, rather than the port on Monday. Even adding DCL's transfer cost, we're saving $130. When Tom called DVC to arrange for DCL's transfer he learned there are still some rooms left on the cruise!

Bobbi
So sorry to hear about your house - I think this will work out for the best - something Great is heading your way - these things happen for a reason - we just don't know the reason - you did something nice by giving away your furniture - so something nice will happen to you! :daisy:It just never works the way we want it too!!! Someone is going to come along and want your house! Keep thinking positive thoughts!

So I am still working on David to convince him to take the TA cruise. I keep telling him you and Tom will be on the cruise...He did ask at work for the time off - He only needs to ask 2-3 more levels and maybe God and if all approve - we can take the cruise! I told him since he needs to have ankle surgery - he should have that two weeks before the cruise = then take the TA cruise to recoup! That way he is off work and fixes his ankle! Why hobble at home when you can hobble on a cruise ship??? :crutches:

I hope everyone is doing well! I am planning on getting all my paperwork in order this week and planning my packing. Of course I will be packing Thurs. night before we leave on Fri morning. Oh and we have a BIG audit at work and when did they schedule to start it ??? THURS the day before I leave - go figure! I already told them my phone will be OFF. So ask me now or wait until I return. :rotfl:
Lynn

Thank you Lynn! It would be great to see you on the TA cruise, and I think you've written a good scenario for it to happen!

So, if the house does not sell soon, we're thinking of taking the house off the market and move back to Ohio until the spring. Tom just realized HE GAVE AWAY THE SNOW BLOWER! Of course he did...well, let's hope our neighbor (we gave ours to their son) will loan us theirs if this is what happens.

There has been some discussion about the meetup at TOTWC. My husband called and was told that we should take the monorail over and just show our DVC cards to enter. I did a search and it said that only those staying at BLT would be able to enter. Here is the link. What should we do?

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/top-of-the-world-lounge.htm
I recieved an answer from another place. Anxiety kicking in!

Here is what is stated on the DVC website:

Top of the World Lounge Access

Top of the World Lounge is located at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2016 (blockout dates apply, including but not limited to December 30, 2015, December 31, 2015, July 3, 2016, July 4, 2016, December 30, 2016, December 31, 2016). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current MagicBand or Key to the World card with a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. If the Member's MagicBand or Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is also required to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

Learn more about dining at Bay Lake Tower and nearby at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Last edited:
There has been some discussion about the meetup at TOTWC. My husband called and was told that we should take the monorail over and just show our DVC cards to enter. I did a search and it said that only those staying at BLT would be able to enter. Here is the link. What should we do?

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/top-of-the-world-lounge.htm

Perhaps that is an old link, because the perk began that way. However, here's the current "rule" regarding TOTW!
Top of the World Lounge Access
Top of the World Lounge is located at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2016 (blockout dates apply, including but not limited to December 30, 2015, December 31, 2015, July 3, 2016, July 4, 2016, December 30, 2016, December 31, 2016). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current MagicBand or Key to the World card with a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. If the Member's MagicBand or Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is also required to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

Learn more about dining at Bay Lake Tower and nearby at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

We will probably go to the TOTWL around 7:30 on 8/23, and will let them know there may be a group showing up around 8:30. Not sure where we will sit...probably to the right as you walk in. Can't wait to see the fireworks from there!

Bobbi, hope you sell your house (again) soon. It sounds so frustrating.

Meg

We will probably go to the TOTWL around 7:30 on 8/23, and will let them know there may be a group showing up around 8:30. Not sure where we will sit...probably to the right as you walk in. Can't wait to see the fireworks from there!

Meg
7:30ish is when we hope to be there. Reservations at Artist Point at 6ish.

We're staying at the Poly, looking forward to monorailing over there and meeting you all! The cruise is lots of fun and there is lots to do, this is a great place to meet before busyness sets in. It will be the third time I've begun the DVC MC with a meet up there.

Alaneeray, enJoy Artist Point! We'll next be eating there in December! We love love VWL, and hope our stay then won't be completely ruined by the construction. It's hard to believe that construction will be ongoing throughout 2016!

We're staying at the Poly, looking forward to monorailing over there and meeting you all! The cruise is lots of fun and there is lots to do, this is a great place to meet before busyness sets in. It will be the third time I've begun the DVC MC with a meet up there.

Alaneeray, enJoy Artist Point! We'll next be eating there in December! We love love VWL, and hope our stay then won't be completely ruined by the construction. It's hard to believe that construction will be ongoing throughout 2016!
We are actually staying at the Grand Floridian, but we plan on checking out the progress. We always find different places to eat. We will be eating at Jiko on the 28th.

I am hoping someone on this board could do me a big favor. We had to cancel our alaska cruise for 8/24 due to family reasons but are thinking of a quick getaway on this members cruise 8/24 - We would love to rent a cabana considering how fair skinned I am and how hot it is in August on Castaway. DCL cannot tell me if any are available and I don't have a reservation yet....would anyone be willing to check to see if any cabanas are available on serenity bay or on the family beach (lol) for either or both of the days we would be there. Thanks so much.

I am hoping someone on this board could do me a big favor. We had to cancel our alaska cruise for 8/24 due to family reasons but are thinking of a quick getaway on this members cruise 8/24 - We would love to rent a cabana considering how fair skinned I am and how hot it is in August on Castaway. DCL cannot tell me if any are available and I don't have a reservation yet....would anyone be willing to check to see if any cabanas are available on serenity bay or on the family beach (lol) for either or both of the days we would be there. Thanks so much.

They have been booked since the day they could be reserved. I haven't been on today but as of a couple days ago, nothing available.

Welcome aboard Connie!!

Meg

We have dinner reservations at The Wave at 6:55pm and will head up after that. If I remember correctly there is a big center section with lots of seating that might be a good spot for us. I am going to try and make buttons for my daughter and myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter