• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you own a gun?

Do you own a gun?

• No and I never have

• No, but I have in the past (or family did growing up)

• Yes, one

• Yes, several

• Yes and my family growing up did too

• Other (there's always an other)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why would so many people need to conceal a weapon all the time? Is where you live really filled with a lot of wild animals?
tigercat

Why would so many people need to conceal a weapon all the time? Is where you live really filled with a lot of wild animals?
tigercat

I think most folks are more concerned about 2-legged predators. And among those who have the license to carry concealed, not everyone does so all the time. My mother-in-law had a government job that occasionally put her in touch with dangerous people. But she only carried when she thought it was necessary.

For me, it's just too much trouble. I really don't even like to carry a phone so I don't see myself ever carrying on a regular basis - don't even have a concealable gun. That said, I'm tempted to get the license. One never knows when the need might arise (hopefully never) and it's not a quick process to acquire the license.

Edit: when I was young and living on a farm, I did keep a rifle in the truck during calving season in case coyotes were after the neighbor's calves. I also carried a large knife before I could drive to protect against a couple of mean dogs that wandered the area. Came quite close to using it too.

I wonder if there is anyone from Ontario Canada that even knows if you are allowed a cancealed weapon if you are not in the military or police. I have no idea myself.
tigercat

I wonder if there is anyone from Ontario Canada that even knows if you are allowed a cancealed weapon if you are not in the military or police. I have no idea myself.
tigercat

tigercat

I don't know either but on that note, in the US active military are not automatically legal to carry in public. They need the same license as civilians. There are also some communities that do not permit off-duty police to carry.

More or less the same here for me in my 2 European countries.
I think my granddad had one for potting rabbits and I knew military who had them obviously in their job but no civilians

I also live in Europe and do not own a gun, do not know of anyone else who owns a gun and wouldnt know where to even purchase one??

Gumbo4x4 said:
:thumbsup2

That's as much a reason as any I haven't purchased any larger calibers, save for the hunting rifles. As easy as it is to burn through $10-15 worth of .22 shells, I'd need a second job to afford to shoot larger calibers on a regular basis :rotfl:

My sons Christmas gift was the apparatus and stuff for reloading his newest acquisition a .45.

tigercat

I don' t think so. Contact your local Chief Firearms Officer for more details.

tigercat said:
tigercat

Why is "need" the only reason for doing something? Most of what I do isn't a need, as I am sure is the case in your life too. That said, my nephew's has been used in several occasions to put down injured deer by the road, which is then donated to the local food shelter.

I married a Texan. My first exposure to Texas culture came on my first trip to visit my FIL. A neighbor had shot and killed a burglar a few days before our arrival. I said to my FIL that his neighbor was likely in for some legal headaches. My FIL said "no, he called the police, they came and picked up the body". About a year later, he sent me a newspaper clipping about a court ruling where the burglar's estate was ordered to pay the homeowner who killed him for damages the burglar did while breaking in, and for cleaning up after he was shot in their house. Only in Texas.

There are many states that use 'Castle Doctrine" in situations like this and have a no duty to retreat clause like Texas!

tigercat

For my husband it depends where we are going. If we are traveling by car for a vacation it comes with us (especially if we are traveling at night), camping, if we are going into the city for a game it comes with us but stays in the car, and just various places like that. He by no means takes it with him everywhere he goes.

My sons Christmas gift was the apparatus and stuff for reloading his newest acquisition a .45.

I had all the equipment for a hunting rifle I used to have, but that wasn't something I shot all that frequently. Factory loads really improved right about that time and I ended up selling everything off. If I wanted to shoot something other than a .22 all the time, I'd probably have to gear up again :)

I guess I was trying to figure out the why of it all. Is the States or certain States that dangerous to travel in? I am now getting worried about visiting the States. I was thinking of going on a cruise out of New Orleans but have heard how corrupt the police department is there so I am really not sure I will do it. I thought I would like to see it but the danger just seems so large. Especially after hearing about the guns. Yes you can go anywhere and there might be danger but this thread is really worrying me.
tigercat

I would venture to say that 90 percent of he US is incredibly safe, 9 percent very safe and 1 percent kind of a war zone. Most folks who carry are worried about that 1 percent, or about the 1 percent spilling over into the other areas.

tigercat said:
I guess I was trying to figure out the why of it all. Is the States or certain States that dangerous to travel in? I am now getting worried about visiting the States. I was thinking of going on a cruise out of New Orleans but have heard how corrupt the police department is there so I am really not sure I will do it. I thought I would like to see it but the danger just seems so large. Especially after hearing about the guns. Yes you can go anywhere and there might be danger but this thread is really worrying me.
tigercat

You will be fine in New Orleans there are just areas you need to stay clear of. I kind of think you have the impression that it is the wild Wild West here in the states which is very far from the truth!

grew up with guns in my family, members of NRA, and will always be! oh and have been shooting skeet and reloading my own bullets since being a kid. My whole family has. Also bow and arrow...hand guns and hunting guns, and some antiques!

tigercat said:
tigercat

Just like everywhere you could go there are shady areas. That is just common sense.

I married a Texan. My first exposure to Texas culture came on my first trip to visit my FIL. A neighbor had shot and killed a burglar a few days before our arrival. I said to my FIL that his neighbor was likely in for some legal headaches. My FIL said "no, he called the police, they came and picked up the body". About a year later, he sent me a newspaper clipping about a court ruling where the burglar's estate was ordered to pay the homeowner who killed him for damages the burglar did while breaking in, and for cleaning up after he was shot in their house. Only in Texas.

God bless Texas. ::yes:: Don't even think about breaking into our homes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter