• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you own a gun?

Do you own a gun?

• No and I never have

• No, but I have in the past (or family did growing up)

• Yes, one

• Yes, several

• Yes and my family growing up did too

• Other (there's always an other)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone else get the feeling that this thread is teetering right on the edge? There's a strong feeling of disapproval here.

I'll just say that I support people doing what they feel is right. People own guns for hunting and for protection. Some people collect guns and others get them from family members. There's no black and white when it comes to this.

tigercat said:
Actually not only my town but the towns around me. I really don't know of any place around here that has that stuff. I live in southern Ontario, Canada.
tigercat

We've lived in Ontario and it is kind of scruffy in parts. My dad did a public health masters up there. I suspect there are places that are icky in all towns and cities of size. Nothing against Ontario or the larger city the poster that mentioned the fear. Chances are most of their area is not like that either. :)

Actually not only my town but the towns around me. I really don't know of any place around here that has that stuff. I live in southern Ontario, Canada.
tigercat

Same here actually. Thankful to live in a safe area.

I've lived in 5 states and never felt the need to own a firearm. Glad I don't live where you all do! :confused3

For the record, none of mine are for protection. And many folks I know that have one for protection live in great neighborhoods, but often work in areas that are not so nice.

Gumbo4x4 said:
For the record, none of mine are for protection. And many folks I know that have one for protection live in great neighborhoods, but often work in areas that are not so nice.

Ours aren't for protection either. We have a good time target shooting. We also do archery.

I live in what is considered a very safe area (even left my car keys on the hood of my car overnight by accident - nothing happened). As we have seen in the news, including the school shootings and theater shooting, you don't have to live in a big city or a "bad area" to face the possibility of having to protect yourself.

What area do you live in that has no seedy element? No neighborhood with drugs?

Here! :wave2:

Oh sure, they bust the occasional Meth house:crazy2: and once or twice a year someone tries to knock over a convenience store; and some of our apartment complexes have a bad reputations, just as there are definitely certain areas of town that are ritzy-er than others. But honestly, and I have lived here all my life so I can tell you this is the case, I don't think bulletproof glass exists except for in drive-up teller windows of places like banks and the electric company.

The trucks that go around to the banks and ATMs picking up/putting in money are armored, but I can't think of another armored vehicle outside of the National Guard training camp.

If you go IN a bank, you are face to face with the teller, some thing with utility companies, etc. :confused3 It is just not something we even think about out here in the sticks.

But then again, until a group of teens with bad attitudes started breaking into cars, most people left their cars unlocked at night. We all lock our doors at night, but they are always unlocked in the daytime, and everyone sleeps with the windows open in the summer. :confused3

Sorsha said:
Here! :wave2:

Oh sure, they bust the occasional Meth house:crazy2: and once or twice a year someone tries to knock over a convenience store; and some of our apartment complexes have a bad reputations, just as there are definitely certain areas of town that are ritzy-er than others. But honestly, and I have lived here all my life so I can tell you this is the case, I don't think bulletproof glass exists except for in drive-up teller windows of places like banks and the electric company.

The trucks that go around to the banks and ATMs picking up/putting in money are armored, but I can't think of another armored vehicle outside of the National Guard training camp.

If you go IN a bank, you are face to face with the teller, some thing with utility companies, etc. :confused3 It is just not something we even think about out here in the sticks.

But then again, until a group of teens with bad attitudes started breaking into cars, most people left their cars unlocked at night. We all lock our doors at night, but they are always unlocked in the daytime, and everyone sleeps with the windows open in the summer. :confused3

Same here! I only sort if started locking my doors and car a year or two ago and am still not consistent. But I have been in a few neighborhoods in my life where I needed to get a kid out of a drug house and it wouldn't have surprised me. Otoh, I bet there weren't a lot of banks in the area either! Pawn shops and money lenders, yes.

I live in NYC and I am sure that I regularly pass people carrying concealed handguns, but I have no urge to own one.

Agreed. I've never seen a bank that had bulletproof glass...even when I lived in Atlanta.

I agree. I've never been in a bank that has bulletproof glass in front of the tellers either. However, it wouldn't bother me if they did. I guess I don't care enough that I'm "face to face" with the tellers. Of course, I say this as a person who hasn't been in a bank for at least two years. I can't imagine any reason to go inside a bank on a regular basis in this day and age.

Yes, for protection and target shooting. I don't have anything against hunting, just not my thing.

I live in what would be considered an affluent area but close by is Gary and a short trip to the seedy south east side of Chicago.

We had a surgeon in the next neighborhood who was the victim of a home invasion last year. Kicked in his door beat him and his wife until they opened the safe and stole cash and his guns. He now Carries a small handgun in his pocket when at home.

There is NO safe neighborhood. Look at the woman last week who had the crazy guy break in and chase her and her children into the attic. Luckily she grabbed a gun before she went to the attic. She shot him 5 times and ran it out of ammo. He left, not realizing she was empty and drove off. Eventually he died.

People need to decide for themselves if self defense is right for them and how best to protect themselves.

For me, I choose a 9mm handgun with 16 round magazines. If the same team that broke into my colleagues house decideto choose mine next time (they still haven't been caught), things won't go the way they planned.

I think people forget how fragile society is and that some people are just vicious and evil. I deal with the after math of helping the victims. I won't be a victim. Not to mention disasters happen, from things like the LA riots to Katrina. When seconds count, police are minutes away and in the case of Katrina or riots, they are hours or days away. Thank God three citizens and business owners in LA and NOLA had AR15s during those events. Done amazing stories of survival came out of those tragedies.

As for my children, I teach them safety and take them shooting. Remove the mystery and introduce reality. they know guns aren't toys and they respect them. I also have a commercial grade safe to secure them when my wife and I are not home.

My wife is also a gun owner.

You have to give out paychecks from behind a bullet proof glass? I remember going into a bank in Florida and wasn't sure what all the glass was in front of the tellers until my Dad told me it was bullet proof glass. I just figured that it was the only one and was in a kind of rough neighbourhood. I guess not. I am sorry I sound like it is so horrible but we don't have that here. I sit down and talk to the tellers, and no one is behind bullet proof glass. I really hope it doesn't come to that point up here. It must be hard on the people that work there to know that they need that kind of protection, and wonder if there is a relationship between the tellers and their clients. Most of the tellers in my bank know me and if I haven't been for a while will ask what happened when I do come in. Or they ask my husband. Even though we usually don't go together they know us as a married couple.
tigercat

The tellers at the bank know me. I am not worried at the bank. Small town, but giving out pay checks is a different matter. Child support being the biggest one. The company can take 55%( or 65% if in arrears) of the paycheck if the employee is behind on child support. That money is forwarded to the state and then they cut the check for child support. We have no control over court orders but we bear the brunt of the unhappy employees. So, bullet proof glass in my office. I really wish I would not have to do that but it is government mandated.

I am sorry it has come to that for you. It is better to be safe than sorry.
tigercat

In Australia, our bank tellers have "pop up" screens that are activated in a robbery
We test these screen every morning & they go up mighty quick
We had a case in Australia a few ears ago where. Robber died with his head caught in the pop up screens... Yikes

In Australia, our bank tellers have "pop up" screens that are activated in a robbery
We test these screen every morning & they go up mighty quick
We had a case in Australia a few ears ago where. Robber died with his head caught in the pop up screens... Yikes

:scared: Yikes is right!

I grew up with my Dad owning a shot gun. My DH grew up with lots of relatives who hunted. We don't own guns and really don't have a lot of interest.

I have no qualms with owning a gun but I am all about safety. My DH's cousin accidentally killed his 18 year old nephew in a hunting accident last year. It has destroyed a family but they just made some dumb mistakes and did not follow regulations, rules or protocols. It is beyond sad. I'm glad we have girls...they have no interest in hunting.

I'm glad we have girls...they have no interest in hunting.

I bet girls make up at least 1/4 of the new hunters in the woods. Not saying your kids will ever develop an interest, but the fact they're girls won't have much to do with that :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter