DLR Half-Marathon 2013. Who else is going?!?!

FlameGirl said:
Are there any trails near enough for you to drive to? That's usually what I do - not because I am worried about bad guys but because we live in a neighborhood without 8 million very steep hills. :)

Not really. I'm barely even 3 miles away from Disneyland and there's really not much around here (I also haven't really had time to explore). But with the two jobs at odd hours I need something very close by and both places I'm looking at so far are on my way to and from work.

Not really. I'm barely even 3 miles away from Disneyland and there's really not much around here (I also haven't really had time to explore). But with the two jobs at odd hours I need something very close by and both places I'm looking at so far are on my way to and from work.

I did a super quick search and found this: Santa Ana River Trail from a post on the Runner's World forum. The poster goes on to say this:

I would head on over to the Santa Ana River Trail. The trail begins about 2 miles east of Disneyland.

Get on the trail, and head south toward Huntington Beach (about 13 miles on the trail).
OR
Head north & northeast towards Chino Hills State Park (about 13 miles on the trail)

If going towards Huntington Beach, stay on the west side since it is more for runners. The east side is more for bikers.

If going north & northeast towards Chino Hills State Park, stay on the east side which is more scenic and more runner-friendly.

From Disneyland
Drive or run east on Ball to the Trail ----- (You can get on at Ball, just east of the 57 Freeway)
OR
Drive or run east on Katella to the Trail ----- (You can get on at Katella, just east of the 57 Fwy -- at Angel Stadium)

You can easily drive, park and start running.
OR
You can just run on Katella or Ball east to the trail (only 2 miles or less to get there)

My preference would be to drive to the Trail and park, in order to avoid all concrete running.

It might be worth checking out? :goodvibes

Thanks Kathy. I'll try and check it out. Wish I could get my roomie to do this with me since I hate being out alone. Still probably gonna look into a gym tomorrow. Trying to talk the roomie into going with me, lol.

Have fun! I hope you find either a gym or a trail that you are happy training with. If you go with outdoor, maybe check into small pepper spray canisters, for a little more peace of mind. :)

Re posting here just to make sure everyone on here knows about this:

Thought I would pass this around if anyone knows someone who wants to run but hasn't the entry or booked accommodations.

Marathon Tours has entries this year for the first time I believe. I used them to get my 2012 entry into the WDW race so they are pretty good. The only problem? You have to use snail mail to enter a race with them. Info to get in via them is supposed to be going out at the end of the week. And they implied that they will have entries for all the races (yes that includes the DDD if I read the email right).

Just two things to note with Marathon Tours the spots go in the following order: people who have run with them and our members of the seven continents club, members of the seven continents club, runners who have run with them before (it might be the other way around not sure), and then first time non-club runners. The fee for the club is a one time fee of 100 dollars which in the scheme of things may be well worth paying to give you a slight advantage.

There a good group from what little experience I have with them. And having a race with them is definitely a plus if you ever want to try to get into the harder/longer races that have extremely limited availability. They are one of the two ways (and the only guaranteed way) to get into the London Marathon if you live State-side. And that's just one of the many races they have entries for (they host their own Antarctica Marathon, one of the Easter Island marathons, etc.).

Just thought I would pass this on.

StarGirl11 said:
Re posting here just to make sure everyone on here knows about this:

Thought I would pass this around if anyone knows someone who wants to run but hasn't the entry or booked accommodations.

Marathon Tours has entries this year for the first time I believe. I used them to get my 2012 entry into the WDW race so they are pretty good. The only problem? You have to use snail mail to enter a race with them. Info to get in via them is supposed to be going out at the end of the week. And they implied that they will have entries for all the races (yes that includes the DDD if I read the email right).

Just two things to note with Marathon Tours the spots go in the following order: people who have run with them and our members of the seven continents club, members of the seven continents club, runners who have run with them before (it might be the other way around not sure), and then first time non-club runners. The fee for the club is a one time fee of 100 dollars which in the scheme of things may be well worth paying to give you a slight advantage.

There a good group from what little experience I have with them. And having a race with them is definitely a plus if you ever want to try to get into the harder/longer races that have extremely limited availability. They are one of the two ways (and the only guaranteed way) to get into the London Marathon if you live State-side. And that's just one of the many races they have entries for (they host their own Antarctica Marathon, one of the Easter Island marathons, etc.).

Just thought I would pass this on.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what this is? I'm confused.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what this is? I'm confused.

Basically how it works if you book a trip with Marathon Tours you get entry into the race of your choice for Disneyland. They have slots for the 10k, Half, and the DDD according to the email I received but won't go on sale until Friday. Or rather they will post the hotel packages and rates on Friday, so essentially that's when it goes on sale.

They will have a form to fill out when you apply to travel with them and on it you'll mark what race you are participating in. If you have any other runners doing it also. And if you have any non-running guests coming. You send it in via mail and you should hopefully hear back from them in one to two weeks (judging on my attempt at getting into London pre-WDW trip). If it's not filling up fast than sooner.

There are two ways to guarantee a slot with them in races and that's true the a fore mentioned club. And of course traveling with them. People who fall under those categories are given top priority over people who don't in races that fill up fast. Say the London Marathon. From there its to a wait list if you don't get in.

I am only bringing up the extra stuff because I honestly cant say how fast the race will fill up for them considering this is the first time they've offered spots.

And I honestly can't explain much later. At this point if you have questions try calling the Marathon Tours themselves. They were always friendly and willing to answer my questions when I've had to make calls to them on occasions.

Oh and far as hotel selections, I have no clue if they are just going to offer rooms at the Disneyland hotels or at the offsites also. As I said before this is there first year doing Disneyland. The page for the race isn't even up yet. I'm assuming that part of the site will go live in the next two days.

StarGirl11 said:
Basically how it works if you book a trip with Marathon Tours you get entry into the race of your choice for Disneyland. They have slots for the 10k, Half, and the DDD according to the email I received but won't go on sale until Friday. Or rather they will post the hotel packages and rates on Friday, so essentially that's when it goes on sale.

They will have a form to fill out when you apply to travel with them and on it you'll mark what race you are participating in. If you have any other runners doing it also. And if you have any non-running guests coming. You send it in via mail and you should hopefully hear back from them in one to two weeks (judging on my attempt at getting into London pre-WDW trip). If it's not filling up fast than sooner.

There are two ways to guarantee a slot with them in races and that's true the a fore mentioned club. And of course traveling with them. People who fall under those categories are given top priority over people who don't in races that fill up fast. Say the London Marathon. From there its to a wait list if you don't get in.

I am only bringing up the extra stuff because I honestly cant say how fast the race will fill up for them considering this is the first time they've offered spots.

And I honestly can't explain much later. At this point if you have questions try calling the Marathon Tours themselves. They were always friendly and willing to answer my questions when I've had to make calls to them on occasions.

Oh and far as hotel selections, I have no clue if they are just going to offer rooms at the Disneyland hotels or at the offsites also. As I said before this is there first year doing Disneyland. The page for the race isn't even up yet. I'm assuming that part of the site will go live in the next two days.

Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Saving this for future references.

Anyhow, I was not able to get a room at PPH (that's what I get for lagging), but got a pretty good rate at Hilton Garden Inn. $111/night.

Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Saving this for future references.

Anyhow, I was not able to get a room at PPH (that's what I get for lagging), but got a pretty good rate at Hilton Garden Inn. $111/night.

It's a little more than double the Hilton, but Get Travel has rooms at PPH. They're charging $277/night w/ a 2 night minimum. They have discounted park tix too.

Was just on Southwest looking at something when I noticed my points ~ I'll have enough points for a RT to DL!! :yay: Now to decide whether I use it for this weekend or Tink....

kim3339 said:
It's a little more than double the Hilton, but Get Travel has rooms at PPH. They're charging $277/night w/ a 2 night minimum. They have discounted park tix too.

Was just on Southwest looking at something when I noticed my points ~ I'll have enough points for a RT to DL!! :yay: Now to decide whether I use it for this weekend or Tink....

Thank you, but I refuse to pay that much at PPH. That is almost double my original quote from a few weeks ago.

If anyone's flying and using SWA, they opened up their dates and race weekend in now open for flights!

If anyone makes their own costume/shirts for the race, I found this for the DDD last night on etsy.

kim3339 said:
If anyone makes their own costume/shirts for the race, I found this for the DDD last night on etsy.

That's cute!! But, I'm only doing the 10k, I don't think my body is quite ready for a half.

Does anybody remember the dates of last years Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend?

jeanigor said:
To the best of my knowledge it has always been run on Labor Day weekend.

Thank you. Was just trying to figure out past block out dates.

Thank you. Was just trying to figure out past block out dates.

If you're looking at APs as well, they've usually had both Sat and Suns for all passes but the Premium. I was trying to figure out if I should renew this year after Tink, but w/ my only trips being the runs, it's not worth the Premium for me. But if anyone from Disney reads this and wants to make a race AP or even a Premier race AP for both parks and race weekends, I wouldn't mind... :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter