• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dis Mom's Club?

Oh ~ btw ~ anyone see the kids on leashes thread? They are now lumping kids, dogs and elderly in the same group. *sigh*

Um they should think about adding DHs, mines always getting lost!:lmao: I will say when I was a teen, I thought leashes for kids were the worst thing ever, but then I had kids!:rotfl2: My DS2 has one with a little backpack on it and he LOVES that thing! We use it more without the leash part now because he liked to lay on the ground and have Daddy pull him up by the leash and carry him. :confused3 I don't know whats worse that DS2 wants it done or that DH does it.:rolleyes1

Um they should think about adding DHs, mines always getting lost!:lmao: I will say when I was a teen, I thought leashes for kids were the worst thing ever, but then I had kids!:rotfl2: My DS2 has one with a little backpack on it and he LOVES that thing! We use it more without the leash part now because he liked to lay on the ground and have Daddy pull him up by the leash and carry him. :confused3 I don't know whats worse that DS2 wants it done or that DH does it.:rolleyes1

I thought the same things...oh the horror :scared1: But my youngest is the kind to dart off running and what's worse? Having your child tethered to you or your child get lost? Hmmm...no brainer there?

We haven't had to use the backpack leash on him yet since we told him if he didn't stay near us he would have to wear it and he didn't like that idea but it went with us and will again this year. Some people just like to judge ANYTHING other parents do!

I *try* to do a good job of grocery shopping so I don't have to go for little trips during the week.

My DH bought me a Kuerig Machine for my birthday in November and I am happy to say I haven't bought a cup of coffee since then. <<--- this has saved TONS of money.

My kiddies are still too little for activities. They do go to Montessori School on the two days I am working so would I count the tuition for that?

We do however eat out a lot on the weekends. We really, really need to cut back on that. It just seems so nice to have that time to be together without the mess to clean after.

Swim classes were $32 each for an 8 week program. I thought that was cheap. Considering we still have 4 weeks left and my Mimi is already swimming with no "bubble".

:) Now I will go find the no spend thread.

Oh ~ btw ~ anyone see the kids on leashes thread? They are now lumping kids, dogs and elderly in the same group. *sigh*

Yeah, I do a week of meal planning so I only have to go for the fruit and milk and maybe bread. Unfortunately we don't have enough fridge space for more then one gallon of milk, maybe when we replace our fridge and put this one out in the garage I will. My DH and I date at least once a week, I won't cut that. We don't go expensive but no way will I cut it. Cheaper then thearpy when I go crazy! ;)

I don't know what the answer is to tuition for school, I think that is a personal chocie. For me I count things like dance class and stuff because it isn't a nevcessity (though not something I am willing to cut.) Then again I counted the day I paid $86 for my oldest's AP test and that sort of is a necessity. (If she passes~and she better~it will save a fortune in college class. I don't know, I guess for me I am recording everything I spend, that way when I ask myself where does it all go I can answer. :laughing: My DH pays the bills so I don't record any of that. I traack what I spend away from the house things. We spent a fortune on swimming lessons but that too was money well spent. My kids aren't great at all kinds of strokes, but if they fell in a pool they would be fine and that is worth it. They will be back in when dance is over for the summer swim lesson to work on it more.

So, you know, you do it to what feels right for you. :goodvibes

I didn't see the leash thread, actually I did see it but didn't read it. My baby is 8, if I put her on a leash people would have a fit! :lmao:

Wow, it amazes me how you guys can do a spur of the moment trip and several trips a year! I could only wish!

This will be DH & I's 4th trip in 15 years! We went once (only 1 park day) before kids, then 7 days with DS when he was 4, then last April I was able to talk DH into it with the B4G3 deal, especially since the twins were only 2 and were free! I still do not know how on earth he agreed to go again this April? Maybe because the kids talk about Disney every day! Maybe to shut me up? Either way... we're going!! :cool1:

Although he did tell me not to think about it again for a few years. "There are other places to go besides Walt Disney World" :confused3 What??

Wow, it amazes me how you guys can do a spur of the moment trip and several trips a year! I could only wish!

This will be DH & I's 4th trip in 15 years! We went once (only 1 park day) before kids, then 7 days with DS when he was 4, then last April I was able to talk DH into it with the B4G3 deal, especially since the twins were only 2 and were free! I still do not know how on earth he agreed to go again this April? Maybe because the kids talk about Disney every day! Maybe to shut me up? Either way... we're going!! :cool1:

Although he did tell me not to think about it again for a few years. "There are other places to go besides Walt Disney World" :confused3 What??

What? :confused3 There's other places to vacation then Disney!:goodvibes

Really, last year was the first year we've done multiple trips. It started with DH getting stationed in DC from Oregon. We went on an adult only trip a year ago during our cross country move and I convinced him to buy DVC and then came the APs in Nov. It also helps that he has a LARGE extended family in Merritt Island and Cocoa Beach. So we can always use the excuse of visiting family. :rolleyes1 And DH likes to do road trips, so that saves us a ton on airfare!

I hear ya. We can only afford to go on a real vacation once every other year (other then going to grandma's and staying with them or a day at an amusement park or whatever.) I used to get so jealous to see people with multiple tickers but I try to remind myself how lucky we are. Some people, in fact most people will never get there. We have not really vacationed anywhere but Disney, and while I have thought about it, when the time comes we are just too excited to go back. I don't know, maybe that helps you. (Maybe not.)

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to go more. I'd go tomorrow if I could! Oh, we drive too. If we had to fly we'd never make it. We drive 21 hours straight though. Easy going down, a bit harder coming home. :guilty:

Well for us DH is a pilot so airfare is free on vacations and we own a timeshare so we really only have to come up with spending money (well for WDW we need to come up with tix $$$ too ;) ). This year we were lucky enough to be able to use our timeshare with Hilton to exchange into SSR and OKW for 2 weeks! :cool1: Don't know if we'll be able to ever pull that off again, so we're enjoying it while we can.

We have always been able to go multiple times per year. But with Mimi starting school in the fall ~ I am afraid these trips will be a thing of the past. I refuse to go at crowded times and I don't know how the school would feel about her missing a lot of school.

On the flip side of that ~ the pediatric practice I was managing closed so I lost my job. I was set to be a stay at home mom when a doc from my past contacted me to help him out. So I work only 16 hours a week. I make a little more and hour and don't have to pay for full time tuition and we got rid of the housecleaner (I think I miss this the most). So all in all it may be a wash... but since this is all new to us ~ May will probably be our last trip this year.

Really we can only do it this time since we have AP and my mom is coming with us and paying part of the room. Well and I think I got a fabulous deal on our BCV rental.

We got a 1 bedroom for $1500 for 7 nights! I thought it was such a good deal we planned around the already existing dates for the reservation.

Also a lot of times we stay on APH discounts at Value resorts. That is pretty inexpensive too.

I look at it this way: we don't drink, we don't smoke, we don't gamble. Our biggest vice is Disney ~ and at least we can all be addicted as a family!

Well for us DH is a pilot so airfare is free on vacations and we own a timeshare so we really only have to come up with spending money (well for WDW we need to come up with tix $$$ too ;) ). This year we were lucky enough to be able to use our timeshare with Hilton to exchange into SSR and OKW for 2 weeks! :cool1: Don't know if we'll be able to ever pull that off again, so we're enjoying it while we can.

What airline does DH fly for?

We have always been able to go multiple times per year. But with Mimi starting school in the fall ~ I am afraid these trips will be a thing of the past. I refuse to go at crowded times and I don't know how the school would feel about her missing a lot of school.

On the flip side of that ~ the pediatric practice I was managing closed so I lost my job. I was set to be a stay at home mom when a doc from my past contacted me to help him out. So I work only 16 hours a week. I make a little more and hour and don't have to pay for full time tuition and we got rid of the housecleaner (I think I miss this the most). So all in all it may be a wash... but since this is all new to us ~ May will probably be our last trip this year.

Really we can only do it this time since we have AP and my mom is coming with us and paying part of the room. Well and I think I got a fabulous deal on our BCV rental.

We got a 1 bedroom for $1500 for 7 nights! I thought it was such a good deal we planned around the already existing dates for the reservation.

Also a lot of times we stay on APH discounts at Value resorts. That is pretty inexpensive too.

I look at it this way: we don't drink, we don't smoke, we don't gamble. Our biggest vice is Disney ~ and at least we can all be addicted as a family!

I say that too! :rotfl: I hope you didn't think we were saying you should go, if you can, go for it! I can't speak for anyone else but I sure don't think you need to justify your trips. Do I wish we could go more, sure, but I don't begrudge anyone else for going. :goodvibes

As for missing school, I am a bad mommy. I let them miss a few days to make Thanksgiving a little longer. DH can't take more then 5 days off at a time plus can't take time away in summer so we can combine 2 weekends pus the day of Thanksgiving and make those 5 days a little longer.

I think it is great you get to go, have fun, enjoy yourself and more so enjoy your little girls. They aren't litte long (says the mom whose oldest will be able to help drive down on our nest trip.) :scared1:

He flies for a regional airline called Republic airlines, they fly for all the majors: US Air, United, American, Continental, Delta.

If you get on a smaller jet (like a 70 seater) and you hear them say "United flight #blah blah blah operated by Shuttle America/Republic Airways/Chautauqua" that's his company. All three airlines are subsidiaries of Republic Airlines.

Confusing, huh :rotfl:

I say that too! :rotfl: I hope you didn't think we were saying you should go, if you can, go for it! I can't speak for anyone else but I sure don't think you need to justify your trips. Do I wish we could go more, sure, but I don't begrudge anyone else for going. :goodvibes

As for missing school, I am a bad mommy. I let them miss a few days to make Thanksgiving a little longer. DH can't take more then 5 days off at a time plus can't take time away in summer so we can combine 2 weekends pus the day of Thanksgiving and make those 5 days a little longer.

I think it is great you get to go, have fun, enjoy yourself and more so enjoy your little girls. They aren't litte long (says the mom whose oldest will be able to help drive down on our nest trip.) :scared1:

Exactly... I didn't mean that you shouldn't go, and you certainly do not need to justify the trips. I just mean for our family it wouldn't work, not that I wouldn't want to!! We've already had several people ask why we are going again.. haven't we already been there? :confused3 silly people!

Our big expense is the airfare. We won't even consider driving. I take that back...we consider it but always come to our senses! DS3 is not a very good traveler, doesn't sleep in his carseat for more than an hour and wakes up crying. We drove to Omaha last year, 7 hour drive and it was miserable!

When we flew last spring I was so worried. He fell asleep while we were still on the runway, woke up an hour later screaming. I calmed him down and he fell asleep so I could buckle him in again and he woke up while we were landing in FL. It was great. Way home he slept the whole way. DH and I agree this is the way to go for us right now.

Hello - want to join in with you fellow Disney loving moms.

I am Kristi and my DH Steve and I both love Disney!! Neither of us had gone till we did a Land & Sea package in 2000 and we loved it.

We didn't go again until 2006 with our two boys (who love Disney as much as us).

Matthew will be 9 in April and is in 3rd grade.
Shawn just turned 6 and is in Kindergarten.

I have been a SAHM since my oldest was born. I volunteer at both of their schools which keeps me busy. I would love to find a job in the schools.

Our last trip was February 7-12. We stayed at BLT and loved it. It was so nice to be able to walk to MK.

OH no ~ I didn't think I needed to justify it to you ladies!! No. But I do have to justify it all the time to say... DH's family. He has a brother who is always struggling with finances. His parents are always looking at us sideways because we travel a lot.

Well they have bailed him out at least 10 times and SIL has done it at least once that I know of ~ and it just keeps happening.

Once DH's car caught on fire and they suggested we use the money from the insurance to give to BIL. Ummmm... we had to buy a new car with the money.

Funny they think we are rich because we budget responsibly ~ we are not by any means rich. We just pay our bills. Anyway I digress ~ I never feel I need to justify my trips here on Disboards!

I know you all get it!

Welcome Kristi!!

Ahhh we get those flights sometimes.

We always talk about driving but it is 23 hours if we drive straight through. By the time we figure gas, tolls, eating one the road....potentially stopping and getting a room one night. It ends up not really saving us much. :( And the girls are still to little to enjoy it.

:eek: Blashphemy! LOL

I told DH that next year we can use our timeshare (not DVC :sad2: ) to go do something close to home. It's between Williamsburgh or Shenendoah Valley. I figure that will give him time to rethink his anti-Disney attitude and we can go in 2012 :surfweb:

quote]I hear ya. We can only afford to go on a real vacation once every other year (other then going to grandma's and staying with them or a day at an amusement park or whatever.) I used to get so jealous to see people with multiple tickers but I try to remind myself how lucky we are. Some people, in fact most people will never get there. We have not really vacationed anywhere but Disney, and while I have thought about it, when the time comes we are just too excited to go back. I don't know, maybe that helps you. (Maybe not.)
[/quote]

Very true. We went last time in 2007 and due to family issues and me ending up in the hospital for an emergency D&C, the whole trip was ruined. I felt so bad for my older 2 kids because they were looking forward to it for so long :( But this year WILL be a great one :yay:

Virata, thanks for the deal behind the tickers :)

Kristi, welcome :wizard:

Suellen, I hear ya. DH doesn't realize that although airfare can be pricey, the sanity saved from not roadtripping at this point is priceless :rotfl:

****I still need to figure out what we're doing as far as how many park days there'll be. I really really reallyyyyyyyy want to do HP at Universal but that'd be without kids. So not sure how to swing that. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter