Dis Dads Convention

What would be a good date for a long weekend convention?

• September 2012

• November 2012

• January 2013

• March 2013

• May 2013

• Summer 2013

• Don't care when, I'll be there!

Results are only viewable after voting.
The holdup is largely that Disney hasn't announced rates for 2013 yet. We could theoretically call and book room-only reservations at an open "rack rate" with a deposit equal to the current rack rate for that room. But you agree when you do that to pay any increase that is announced (unlike the usual deposit policy).

I'm hoping just to get an idea of, proportionately, what kinds of discounts might be available. I know that group booking is also one of the few ways to get actual discounts on tickets, so we'll see what's available on that front. And I'm hoping to get some basic information about special events and average costs - things like a private Illuminations or Wishes dessert party or something along those lines. I've done the private Fantasmic! dessert party and viewing, and I wasn't impressed. The sight lines aren't very good from the seating area.

Would one of the MK tours be an option?

this thread fell again so time to lift it up..
I have a great idea for this convention.I think at our meet ups that every Dad should buy a drink for any Dad with a lower membership number in attendance.:thumbsup2

Being #86, I like that idea Carl. :thumbsup2

I figured you would :thumbsup2

I think that keeps me out. There are way too many dads with a number lower than me, and those are guys are really dedicated. I love them all like brothters but unless I hit the lottery, I am out.

:lmao:

I talked to the group sales rep today, and now have a bunch of information to sort through. By way of summary:
Good News: We can sign a contract that would ensure room availabilty any time, even though room rates are not yet out, including for Marathon Weekend.
Bad News: These rates are only "model" rates, and will have to be adjusted when the actual rates come out in June or July.

That said, these are sort of "worst case scenario" room cost numbers, because they are based on 2012 rates + 10%, and actual increases usually range from 5% to 7%. Based on those worst case scenario numbers, room rate estmates are:
Value - $89.10/night (All-Stars)
Moderate - $165.00/night (Port Orleans or Coronado Springs)
Deluxe - $239.80/night (Wilderness Lodge); $284.90/night (Contemporary); $300.30/night (Animal Kingdom Lodge)

Group booking gets us access to discounted tickets as well. The discount varies a bit, based on ticket length. But for comparison purposes (and based on this year's prices, so these will likely go up about 5%), a group discounted 5-day Park Hopper is $293.31 for adults and $275.09 for kids. (Compared to $325.89 for adults and $305.66 for kids, without the group discount). In addition, group-booked Park Hoppers get one free "extra" entitlement at no additional charge. The extra entitlement is good for admission to a water park, DisneyQuest, or a 9-hole round at Oak Trail golf course (DISDads golf tournament anyone?).

Once the 2013 numbers are out, you would also have the option of adding a dining plan.

Group bookings are on an a la carte bases for each reservation as well - you can book a room and buy a ticket of whatever length you wish, with or without a dining plan, etc. I will double-check, but I do not believe that you can purchase Group tickets only, without a room reservation.

Private events are booked after a group contract is in place, and they're priced a la carte. Suggestions from group services included something like an Illuminations dessert party or an early in-park breakfast + "first ride of the day" on a popular attraction. the most popular of those is probably the Sunrise Safari, but it could be done in any park except Magic Kingdom.

There's not much to lose in signing a contract early and locking room availability in place. We have until 60 days prior to the beginning of the group trip to cancel the whole thing with no penalties. There is a cut date at 30-days out, at which we have to release any unbooked rooms from our contracted block. There is a possibility of a penalty if that drops us under 10 rooms, and the rooms can't be rebooked by Disney for other guests.

Just a couple of other notes to this now-rambling post:
1) We are not limited to blocking out rooms at only one resort. The only downside to blocking rooms at multiple resorts is the lack of resort-to-resort transportation.
2) These rate estimates are valid for the entire "Value" season, which is scheduled to run from January 2 through February 14. So these numbers would be valid for either Marathon Weekend or for the last weekend in January.

Comments? Questions? Feedback? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?

I talked to the group sales rep today, and now have a bunch of information to sort through. By way of summary:
Good News: We can sign a contract that would ensure room availabilty any time, even though room rates are not yet out, including for Marathon Weekend.
Bad News: These rates are only "model" rates, and will have to be adjusted when the actual rates come out in June or July.

That said, these are sort of "worst case scenario" room cost numbers, because they are based on 2012 rates + 10%, and actual increases usually range from 5% to 7%. Based on those worst case scenario numbers, room rate estmates are:
Deluxe - $239.80/night (Wilderness Lodge); $284.90/night (Contemporary); $300.30/night (Animal Kingdom Lodge)

Group booking gets us access to discounted tickets as well. The discount varies a bit, based on ticket length. But for comparison purposes (and based on this year's prices, so these will likely go up about 5%), a group discounted 5-day Park Hopper is $293.31 for adults and $275.09 for kids. (Compared to $325.89 for adults and $305.66 for kids, without the group discount). In addition, group-booked Park Hoppers get one free "extra" entitlement at no additional charge. The extra entitlement is good for admission to a water park, DisneyQuest, or a 9-hole round at Oak Trail golf course (DISDads golf tournament anyone?).

Once the 2013 numbers are out, you would also have the option of adding a dining plan.

Group bookings are on an a la carte bases for each reservation as well - you can book a room and buy a ticket of whatever length you wish, with or without a dining plan, etc. I will double-check, but I do not believe that you can purchase Group tickets only, without a room reservation.

Private events are booked after a group contract is in place, and they're priced a la carte. Suggestions from group services included something like an Illuminations dessert party or an early in-park breakfast + "first ride of the day" on a popular attraction. the most popular of those is probably the Sunrise Safari, but it could be done in any park except Magic Kingdom.

There's not much to lose in signing a contract early and locking room availability in place. We have until 60 days prior to the beginning of the group trip to cancel the whole thing with no penalties. There is a cut date at 30-days out, at which we have to release any unbooked rooms from our contracted block. There is a possibility of a penalty if that drops us under 10 rooms, and the rooms can't be rebooked by Disney for other guests.

1) We are not limited to blocking out rooms at only one resort. The only downside to blocking rooms at multiple resorts is the lack of resort-to-resort transportation.
2) These rate estimates are valid for the entire "Value" season, which is scheduled to run from January 2 through February 14. So these numbers would be valid for either Marathon Weekend or for the last weekend in January.

Great information Aaron. If there are room discounts available for the time period for the time period that we would be there would the group rate be in lieu of those discounts or in addition to those discounts?

Great information Aaron. If there are room discounts available for the time period for the time period that we would be there would the group rate be in lieu of those discounts or in addition to those discounts?

The group rate is in lieu of the other discounts. Generally speaking, the group rate ends up being better, because it's just about the only way to "stack" a room and a ticket discount together. But if you are booking a group rate room, you cannot apply other discounts/PIN codes/etc.

That kinda sounds "rack rate"-ish... minus a small discount.

Don't ya think we'd be able to do better just booking at an advertised discount? Obviously nothing is out yet, but assume 30% (pretty standard discount) - or free dining...etc.

The only thing we'd miss out on is the extra waterpark / golf event, and the one private event.

Just putting this out there...?

Besides, we have lots of Dad's with DVC - not sure if any of them would want to use some points, and share the rooms for a rental compensation fee... :confused3

Are there any price advantages if we all stayed at one resort?
No.

That kinda sounds "rack rate"-ish... minus a small discount.

Don't ya think we'd be able to do better just booking at an advertised discount? Obviously nothing is out yet, but assume 30% (pretty standard discount) - or free dining...etc.

The only thing we'd miss out on is the extra waterpark / golf event, and the one private event.

Just putting this out there...?

Besides, we have lots of Dad's with DVC - not sure if any of them would want to use some points, and share the rooms for a rental compensation fee... :confused3
Remember, those rates are speculative, and are intentionally estimated on the high side. They presume a 10% rate increase. In reality, room rate increases have averaged closer to 5% and I don't know when we've seen them go up more than 7% in a year. I suspect that's what is making the rates appear a bit high. Any group contract we sign would include language specifically substituting the actual 2013 rates for the speculative rates, as soon as the rates are determined (probably June or July).

The problem with waiting until June or July for the rates to be published is that, while overall park attendance is fairly low in January, resort occupancy for marathon weekend is quite high. Once the official race weekend is announced and 2013 rates are published (allowing people to book without having to call Disney and go through the whole explanation about not having final rates yet), rooms start to book up for that weekend very quickly.

No.

Remember, those rates are speculative, and are intentionally estimated on the high side. They presume a 10% rate increase. In reality, room rate increases have averaged closer to 5% and I don't know when we've seen them go up more than 7% in a year. I suspect that's what is making the rates appear a bit high. Any group contract we sign would include language specifically substituting the actual 2013 rates for the speculative rates, as soon as the rates are determined (probably June or July).

The problem with waiting until June or July for the rates to be published is that, while overall park attendance is fairly low in January, resort occupancy for marathon weekend is quite high. Once the official race weekend is announced and 2013 rates are published (allowing people to book without having to call Disney and go through the whole explanation about not having final rates yet), rooms start to book up for that weekend very quickly.

I agree with Aaron. We need a date and if we are trying to get a group rate, we need to do it sooner rather than later. Plus those of us staying at DVC need to book our rooms as far ahead of time as possible. Especially if it is Marathon Weekend. (We can start booking at our home resorts in February)

So, is it Marathon Weekend (probably 1/11 to 1/13)?

Or is it the last weekend of January (1/25 to 1/27)?

And are you interested in getting a group rate? No need to have Aaron do all the work if we can't put enough people together.

Me? I vote for Marathon Weekend and since I will be staying DVC, I won't be participating in the group booking.

These are not iron clad agreements that you will have to say that you are definitely going but lets at least decide on a date.

I would sign the contract. But even if we all stay at diffrrent resorts, we need a "home base" So i would set up a hospitality suite or other such gathering place for the guys staying at value or other resorts to come and congregate. Also, we need at least one (preferrably 2) big group events. A launching one & a closing one. Maybe a dessert party on Thursday & Saturday dinner? I would pull the trigger & book it Aaron. And it seems like Marathon weekend will get best turnout, even if the rates are slightly higher

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter