Dis Dads Convention

What would be a good date for a long weekend convention?

• September 2012

• November 2012

• January 2013

• March 2013

• May 2013

• Summer 2013

• Don't care when, I'll be there!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would sign the contract. But even if we all stay at diffrrent resorts, we need a "home base" So i would set up a hospitality suite or other such gathering place for the guys staying at value or other resorts to come and congregate. Also, we need at least one (preferrably 2) big group events. A launching one & a closing one. Maybe a dessert party on Thursday & Saturday dinner? I would pull the trigger & book it Aaron. And it seems like Marathon weekend will get best turnout, even if the rates are slightly higher

Other than signing the contract (cause that is up to you guys), I totally agree. I will be in a 1 BR (probably BW) and I am sure other DVC Dads will do the same so one of those can serve as a hub.

Other than signing the contract (cause that is up to you guys), I totally agree. I will be in a 1 BR (probably BW) and I am sure other DVC Dads will do the same so one of those can serve as a hub.

The same goes for me. If I go, which is still sitting at maybe, I'll be staying DVC-style. I might get a larger one and share it. Possibly a Treehouse if I can snag one, but if not, a 2 BR at either SSR or AKV. Not sure. Still pondering.

OK. I think we're starting to tread pretty close to the line of a discussion that should best take place somewhere else. I'm going to post a new poll at disdads.com to help figure out which resort or resorts I should include in a group booking, and we can build from there.

Edit: Oops. Forgot we had a contest going on, connected to the current poll. I'll wait and post the new poll on Monday.

OK. I think we're starting to tread pretty close to the line of a discussion that should best take place somewhere else. I'm going to post a new poll at disdads.com to help figure out which resort or resorts I should include in a group booking, and we can build from there.

Edit: Oops. Forgot we had a contest going on, connected to the current poll. I'll wait and post the new poll on Monday.

Whatever you need to do to for the group block.

Seems the consensus is focusing on January 11-13 conditional on Marathon Weekend. Can we pull the trigger and set that as the date (unless the marathon weekend changes)?

Whatever you need to do to for the group block.

Seems the consensus is focusing on January 11-13 conditional on Marathon Weekend. Can we pull the finger and set that as the date (unless the marathon weekend changes)?

If we book for that date as Marathon weekend and they change it, can we change our booking?

If we book for that date as Marathon weekend and they change it, can we change our booking?

Aaron will have to answer as far as group sales. From my standpoint, I can't book anything until Feb. at the earliest. I would think they will announce Marathon Weekend soon.

We don't have to reserve today or the next few days. The main reason for picking a "tentative" date conditional on the marathon is so everyone can start targeting that date. I feel pretty confident that will be the weekend if past history is any indication.

Maybe Aaron, you can get some inside info?

No one could tell me anything for sure about Marathon Weekend, but my group sales contact confirmed that our instincts were good that they would not likely hold the marathon the first weekend in January, since New Year's Day is relative "late" next year, falling on a Tuesday. The reason for signing a contract naming a specific date early is that, as soon as the Marathon dates are announced, runDisney automatically sets aside a large block of rooms. Once that happens, the rooms available for other group bookings get scarce.

The good news is that the group rates are the same regardless of the date we choose. The only dates we really need to avoid in January are the 18th - 20th, because that's the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, and while room rates stay the same, travel costs spike that weekend. With marathon weekend likely to be the 11th - 13th, the only other January weekend is the 25th - 27th (which, in terms of park crowds, will still be somewhat affected by the MLK holiday crowd). Next January just sets up kind of strangely.

No one could tell me anything for sure about Marathon Weekend, but my group sales contact confirmed that our instincts were good that they would not likely hold the marathon the first weekend in January, since New Year's Day is relative "late" next year, falling on a Tuesday. The reason for signing a contract naming a specific date early is that, as soon as the Marathon dates are announced, runDisney automatically sets aside a large block of rooms. Once that happens, the rooms available for other group bookings get scarce.

The good news is that the group rates are the same regardless of the date we choose. The only dates we really need to avoid in January are the 18th - 20th, because that's the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, and while room rates stay the same, travel costs spike that weekend. With marathon weekend likely to be the 11th - 13th, the only other January weekend is the 25th - 27th (which, in terms of park crowds, will still be somewhat affected by the MLK holiday crowd). Next January just sets up kind of strangely.

That kind of narrows the window we are looking at, which is a good thing.

I recieved an email from runDisney announcing upcoming races. Marathon Weekend next year is January 10th-13th

I'll get in touch with my group contact and get moving on a signed contract. Based on the poll at disdads.com, I'm going to shoot for rooms at Port Orleans-Riverside and Wilderness Lodge.

I'll get in touch with my group contact and get moving on a signed contract. Based on the poll at disdads.com, I'm going to shoot for rooms at Port Orleans-Riverside and Wilderness Lodge.

:thumbsup2<----Big Thumb

So.... was discussing this convention with DW last night while sipping on some adult beverages... and was able to talk her into starting the planning process to attend this function! :cool1::cool1: All I had to do was point out all the things her and DD could be doing while the guys are meeting. I suddenly felt my wallet taking a direct hit... :lmao::lmao:
She was especially intrigued about staying at WL popcorn:: (Me, too!)

My group services contact says I should have a contract to sign Emailed to me by tomorrow, so we're forging ahead. Pretty soon, we'll need to take these discussions over to disdads.com. I don't want to step on any toes over here.

My group services contact says I should have a contract to sign Emailed to me by tomorrow, so we're forging ahead. Pretty soon, we'll need to take these discussions over to disdads.com. I don't want to step on any toes over here.

Sounds good! I'll have to participate after work hours since the firewall blocks disdads.com. Thanks for heading this up, Aaron! :thumbsup2

Good job Aaron:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter