Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

WDWDancer, you definitely have a lot on your plate, especially for one so young. Good luck in your decision making process. At least I don't have to worry about fertility issues while making treatment decisions. I just had a total hysterectomy and it was just spare parts at my age!

Sounds like you are getting some good medical advice though. Christina Applegate is the actress someone referred to - she had a double mastectomy and went on to have a child. There was a story in People magazine. I am not sure what, if any, treatment she had after surgery. As you know, the chemo and radiation are what play hell with fertility.

I am still waiting to start treatment. My new doctor doubled my long lasting pain meds and increased the breakthrough meds as well. Who ever would have thought that a bunch of cancer filled lymph nodes could hurt this much. All of the doctors now agree that the cancer is not gynecological. There was cancer in the fallopian tubes, cervix, uterus and ovaries but it spread to them, not from them. The gynecological oncologist will be monitoring me for a return of the cancer in the area where the cervix was since it was pretty widespread. He said if caught early radiation will fix any recurrence. Although I am going to be blasted with so much chemo pretty soon that he doesn't think a recurrence is likely soon.

The new doctor obtained my pathology specimens. Wanted to do some more stains. Then everything is going to that hospitals tumor board. This is my third tumor board so maybe it will be lucky! I go back on Tuesday to see what this group has come up with. The doctor is fine with me going to China in March. Since they can't cure this, only contain it, she has no problem with me working on my bucket list! I am also considering a trip to Italy with my best friend and her sister this fall. I figure I may as well spend my retirement money now.

I think of all you ladies! It is surprising where you find support when you get cancer. I thank all of you for the prayers and good wishes!

Linda

Linda, I hope the new meds are helping control your pain level.

Hope the third time is the charm with the tumor board. Like your attitude there, as well with the fall Italy trip. you are going to be one traveling lady!:drive:

You are an inspiration to us all!:goodvibes

I am off to help my sister celebrate her birthday at a seafood restaurant. It will be hard to pass up the "good" stuff and have plain fish, but I will. And no cake!!!

My DH worked late into the night working on switching our aquarium from the under gravel filtration system to a cannister style one. Big project. The aquarium store dude told us the under gravel system is antiquated-kind of like DH and me, lol.:rotfl2:

DH is sweet to work on this upgrade, as keeping fish is really my hobby. Nice early Valentine's day gift.:love:

having fun with the smilies today. I don't usually attempt them, but for some reason today they seem necessary.

GAGWTA!

Linda, thinking of you and hoping for good news from the tumor board!

I finally have some good news to report! My PET scan came back clear. The cancer has not spread beyond the original area and a couple of lymph nodes. I see the surgeon again tomorrow. Hopefully, he will take out the remaining staples. I have a large hematoma in the area where he removed so much tissue. It needs to be drained. If we get the fluid buildup under control, I will have my first chemo treatment on Feb 13. If the fluid thing is still a problem, we will need to delay the start of chemo.

I'm ready to get it started so I can get it done! Feeling so much better now that I know exactly what I'm facing.

Hang in there ladies! Thinking of you all!

Peg, so happy to hear that you got good results on the PET Scan. I'll be praying that everything goes right so that you can get your chemo started soon. I know how hard it is to wait. An you feel like this cancer is growing in your body so lets get started killing it.At least that is how I feel. I am hoping the doctor will have some kind of schedule in mind when we meet tomorrow.

Linda

Thanks, Linda. It is hard waiting! As it stands, I will start my first chemo treatment a week from tomorrow. I've had some problem with fluid buildup at my surgery site. The surgeon put a drain back in today. If things have cleared up, we'll proceed as scheduled in a week. If not, we'll need to delay.

I believe I've been to a different doctor every day. Crazy! To make things worse, they think Kendall may have systemic lupus. That would explain so many of the issues she's had over the years. She has four appointments next week and more to come. Thank goodness for insurance! We've already passed both of our deductibles for the year and will give the insurance company a workout this year!

Kendall and I made a pact. Since this year will be trying for both of us, we are going to go someplace special next year. Now, we are trying to decide where to go. At this point, we are considering England or Hawaii. We may also throw in a Disney cruise! Something to look forward to!

Thinking of you all!

Peg, my daughter and I are kind of planning a trip to Russia for 2014. Or 2015. Depends on her school schedule and when she finds a job! And my mother and I are going to China at the end of March. Something to look forward to. You are definitely looking at a tough year!

Hi again ladies! I am really happy to read so much positive news amongst the trying stuff!! (Cheryl :thumbsup2 been thinking about you a lot, praying for good news for you) It is very quiet in the Park right now, very nice, but the weather has cooled off it was only about 62F today and cloudy. may get some showers on thursday but then back to high 60's low 70's and sun for our last week here. Lot's of stuff coming up starting friday, besides the Bayou Bash for Mardis Gras, there is a whole week of special food decor and other suprises for Valentines, they say it's the first time they have made a big effort for it. Also the Lunar New year stuff looks really good, lot's of good food to try too! Take care all, lot's of really good positive thoughts and prayers to all of you! :goodvibes

Peg, my daughter and I are kind of planning a trip to Russia for 2014. Or 2015. Depends on her school schedule and when she finds a job! And my mother and I are going to China at the end of March. Something to look forward to. You are definitely looking at a tough year!

That sounds amazing! I hope you have the best time ever on both of your adventures!

PatsMom - I hope the visit went well yest and that you have a good treatment plan in place. Sorry you have to go through this. But the trips sound really exciting and something to look forward to.

Cheryl - glad to hear you have a little break for a while.

Peg - I hope you are healing and can get your treatment started soon and also that Kendall can get a diagnosis for all her health problems.

Smiley - sounds like you are having a wonderful trip. Enjoy every minute.

wdwdancer - sorry you are dealing with all of these other issues on top of the thy ca stuff. Hoping you will get the answers you need to make an informed decision. Hang in there!

Laurie - sorry to hear about your foot problems. I am sure it is painful. Hope you can get some relief. Hope your mom is feeling better too. Good work on the diet

Elizabeth - glad to hear things are going well. How is your cousin with breast cancer? I know that was a hard situation.

Well I finally got scheduled for the reclast infusion. I am having it on the 22nd. Since I could get the high fevers and be delusions its better on a friday as it lasts for about 2-3 days. Dh wouldnt have to take off work then. But the dr. says I wont get those symptoms this time, um, we shall see. I am always the poster child for what could go wrong will go wrong or whatever is the least common side effect, I will get it etc.

Bad storm coming on friday. I will be stocking up on groceries.

GAGWTA

LMP, stay safe in the storm......hopefully it won't be too bad.

Smiley, glad you are having a good time, sounds like lots of fun stuff coming up! The upcoming weather sounds perfect! <insert weather envy here!>

PatsMom, your upcoming trips sound amazing! How did your doctor's appt go?

Peg, how are things going with the drain? Sorry to hear about your daughter's medical issues. Planning a great trip together sounds like the perfect thing to look forward to.

Laurie, your New York trip is coming up soon too, right?

All of the trip planning going on here has inspired me! DH and I have decided that since I got another break, we would once again celebrate by going away. Smiley's impromptu DL trip got me to thinking.....so, at the end of March we too will be going to DL for a few days, and then heading down to San Diego. I'm so excited! We had a great time at DL on our first visit there last summer, and San Diego is my fantasy city - I would sooooo much love to live there!

GAGWTA!!

Cheryl - Your Calif. trips sounds great!

Laurie - is your dd preparing for the storm? I hope she is not regretting moving here with all this bad weather we are having. But I guess being with her bf makes it worth it.

Linda,PatsMom, Barbara and Ann - hope the storm isnt too bad for all of you either

Well here is my new adventure the day before the big snow, yup we are going to have about 8-16 inches, depends I guess. This will be called, do you have a dvt or not.

I did not walk well yest. So much pain in the r leg. Today ds says I should get it checked out. He takes me to the urgent care. NO charge for that and its doctor wastes my time day off anyway and he would cost me $20 for his usual nothing. So we go to the urgent care. She wants to rule out the dvt too,. So she gets me a stat appt with the rad. group close by. So I go there at 4. This time dh takes me there. that was an adventure in doppler study. I got to hear the blood swish or flow through my vein. All the way up and down my leg the tech did. It hurt with her pressing various areas. , she tells me,you are good, no blood clot. Later confirmed by rad. and urgent care staff. So I am just sitting here with my leg elevated. No one seems to know what is the problem. They said go to an ortho, um I dont think so just yet. I am sick and tired of drs. for sure lately. Glad this is another little health adventure over with. I know the area is bruised and black and blue. I think I hurt it in the bathroom a few weeks ago but the pain was by the groin femoral artery and in the lower r leg.

PatsMom - though of you with the trip and passport Dh has an appt. sat. to get his passport renewed for his trip to china in may but now with the storm, I guess he will have to wait . Please buy a mask if you are going there. The pullution is horrendous. Remember how I told you dh was coughing up all the black crud from his lungs for a week after he got back. Even the ds complained but werent coughing all the much. Just a yucky feeling breathing and in the lungs etc.

GAGWTA

Maryann, what an awful experience at urgent care. Hope your pain subsides and that you are able to get around better.

Lots of exciting trips on the horizon. I love hearing about them.

Our trip to NYC is 2 weeks away. I am wondering about how cold it will be now. Here we have to run the air conditioning (at least at work with one particular co worker who insists). The azaleas are cranking up to and will be in full bloom soon.

DD 22 is actually considering going in to work as she is so busy. We are all telling her otherwise. We are annoying her. Gosh she is immature in some ways. I doubt get boyfriend will let her go in. Won't most offices be closed tomorrow in the city?

Hope everyone stays safe and has power through this. Please post and let us know you are ok.

I know I haven't been around for some time but I do read what you great ladies write. We are in the midst of the storm now - thinking of you Linda and wonder how you are making out. I know there is no driving allowed so I hope you aren't stranded at work until this is over. We have been getting about an inch an hour and now the wind has begun to blow.

Laurie - it's hard to fathom that you have the air on and the azaleas are ready to bloom!!! Your DD certainly is getting her share of winter on the East Coast!

Wishing all of you a great time on the trips you have planned. Always thinking of you and what you are going through - the tests, decisions, waiting time, etc. It is all so difficult and you are so courageous.

Take care - hugs to all.

Barbara

Ha, Barbara, I debated whether or not to post about the azaleas. Hate to add insult to injury but remember it will be hot and sticky and uncomfortable here in about 2 months.

Yea, DD22 is getting the full treatment up there. She did stay home today after all. She has not been very chatty texting me today so I think she does not want to admit I was right in freaking out yesterday about her plan to go to work "early" today.

Love your uplifting words.

I am thinking of Linda too and hoping she and her family are "hunkered down."

My brother left work early in Manhattan and made a spin class at his gym. He said the class was completely filled.

Those New Yorkers don't let much phase them. I like that attitude. Reminds me of home.

Hope you weather things ok over your way, MaryAnn.

I am so very glad our NYC trip wasn't scheduled for THIS weekend. My DH would have never forgiven me. I think he has only set foot farther north than Charlotte, NC two times in his life, and both those times were in summer.

He is not ready to brave a northeastern storm. I hope they stock Guinness beer in NYC if it is still in the 30's when he arrives.

Stay safe everyone.

Laurie, I'd love to see your azaleas! Won't be seeing ours until May or June. Glad your DD decided to stay out of the storm. I sure hope the weather gets better before your trip!

Our oldest DD lives in Boston and commutes to work in NYC every Monday morning, and goes home on Thurs evenings. We were glad to hear that she made it back to Boston last night so she could spend the weekend with her DH, but given the choice I think I would have stayed in NY!

I was also wondering how Linda is doing.

How about you, LMP? Glad to hear your leg checked out ok, hope it is feeling better!

Hi Barbara, glad you popped in!

Big plans for the weekend - going to paint and redecorate our downstairs bath.....we sure know how to have a good time :rotfl2:

GAGWTA!!

PatsMom and Peg - how is the healing going?

Hi Ladies, I am not liking Nemo right now. Just too much around here.

We have over 2 feet of snow. Roads are impassable or shut down, hundreds of cars abandoned. What we see is mostly from the local news on tv.

Hoping Linda,PatsMom, Anne and Barbara are ok. Linda I could not even imagine you trying to get to work in this weather.

I have a feeling even the ds and dh wont be going anywhere on monday etc.
A little of our street got plowed once and we think it was only to get the first responder home, our neighbor across the street is a cop etc.

Remember how I asked you to pray for the teen girl who I taught. Just got the news yest. that sadly her brain tumor is cancerous. Her parents have asked for prayer for the hard decisions they have to make. I dont know. I remember I was sick back at that age too (3 bad back surgeries) and I felt like I didnt have a voice in anything even though it was my body etc. I just hope the parents decide to do the right thing whatever that may be. I just dont want to think of this girl suffering. I would rather have her have a good quality of life etc. I know they were concerned before about how the tumor was so close to the optic nerve etc My heart is just breaking for this precious little girl C. and her family.

Worse, I think she might be having my rad. onc. and let me tell you that lady has no way with kids. I saw her with 2 of them. She is just all business etc. I didnt even see her talk compassionately to the parents. Also she just stared at one moms who's little one was on the stretcher post radiation etc. There is also a guy who is the head and he is no prize either.

Hmm, can we trade places with smiley right about now in nice sunny disneyland??

GAGWTA

Marianne and all - thanks so much for thinking of me. We made it through the storm - over two feet of snow in our yard. My daughter had to work today and now she is determined to go to town and buy a new computer - she has broken her third one since starting college. I can only hope that when she is spending her own money she takes better care of things. She is making up every excuse in the world why she can't buy the Samsung that is on sale for $329 tomorrow and has to buy the HP that costs around $500 today!

That is my vent for the day. I am healing slowly and waiting anxiously for my appointment this Friday to see if they have any new ideas on what to try to diagnose where the cancer came from. Not looking forward to chemo but I suppose that it has to be done. Sometimes I wonder about just not treating it but I know that really isn't an option for me. I am a fighter and have to give it my best shot to try to slow this beast down for a while. I do want to see my daughter graduate this spring and hopefully see her get her Master's degree next spring.

Laurie, it is kind of adding insult to injury to tell us about the azaleas! But you have your own bad weather to deal with down there. Every region seems to have something!

I've been thinking of you all dealing with the blizzard. I must say that I don't miss the snow. It was sunny and in the mid 70s here today.

I had my port put in yesterday. It was really pretty easy. They used light sedation, so I didn't get sick. I was a little uncomfortable last night, but much better today. In general, I am doing very well. I'll be so glad when I finally get rid of the drain. We have become so close that I decided to name it. I'm calling it Draino.

I purchased a wig today. Seemed really strange, but I'll be prepared once my hair starts to fall out. Really dreading starting chemo on Wednesday, but want to get it over. I'll feel much better when I know what to expect.

Take care all of you dealing with the bad weather! I'll send warm thoughts your way!

Hello ladies, time for me to check in. I don't get to the DIS boards much these days.

Wonderful to hear about the bucket list trips. China sounds interesting, and I'd love to go to Italy.

My bucket list has been scaled down along with our income. My dearest desire is to move in a few years, somewhere with a lower altitude and some humidity! This high desert we live in is so hard on me.

We canceled our May Alaska cruise and decided to spend another week in CA, Morro Bay this time. Got a place on the water through VRBO. I want the fresh food and the humidity, and to relax and do some walking/hiking. We plan to go back in late September for a few days at DL, then some time down in Oceanside area. DH will get to dive that week.

I'm feeling great, with an occasional moment of panic about not being on any meds. My tumor was of the aggressive kind, but the AI's are just not for me with my other autoimmune issues. Praying that a healthy diet, some exercise, and supplements are going to give me some good years.

Speaking of which, a couple of things for you ladies to research. WDWdancer, between the thyroid cancer and the BC scare (and dense breasts), you might want to look into taking iodine. I wouldn't say the huge amounts like some folks take, but along the lines of "couldn't hurt". Google it.

And Peg, lots of information out there about treating lupus by going gluten free. Again, could not hurt for Kendall to try it.

PD for us all, keep checking in everyone. I do read it all, and pray for you too!

Good afternoon ladies

Peg - hope your chemo is not too harsh on you tomm.

PatsMom - we have both hp and samsung, but the samsung is a netbook. I think the hp is from dh work so I dont use it. I hope your visit goes well on friday and they have some insights and a good treatment plan for you

Cheryl - did your dd get to go back to NY this week? You are quite the redecorator. I dont have a decorating bone in my body.

Daneid - I :) about the iodine because with thy ca that is exactly the opposite of what you have to do, you have to rid your body of iodine with a special diet for 2 weeks before the radioactive iodine treatment which your body sucks up like crack they say. I know they say there is lots of iodine in just naturally occuring foods and things, like diary since they use iodine based solutions to clean cow udders etc. I think your calif. trip sonds great. My one ds would live there if he could. They always wish they could go with dh when he goes.

Laurie - I am picturing our one bush blooming. Its a brighter red color.

Well yest. the power went out for 3 hours. I stayed in the chair with a blanket. Dh ventured out with the ds. They got a quick few groceries and dh got the passport stuff done. He got stuck coming back in and it took 20 min. to dig him out. Today, finally a front loader came on our street to plow. Our town made the Ny/NJ/Conn. metro news as one of tht towns who was not getting plowed etc. Now more snow coming. This is getting old.

Oh and today they call and want to reschedule my reclast infusion next week. I told dh to tell them no way and whats the issue. They just think they can change this stuff etc. I have to see everyones elses schedule and who can take me etc. So they are suppose to call back. I said no I dont want to change the day but could come in earlier on the scheduled day. Its like they just erase you out of the book and who cares. I have been waiting months for this. I think after its over I am writing a nasty letter to the hospital chief. Sometimes they also send a survey and I am giving them the lowest marks possible, along with a piece of my mind!

GAGWTA. Blessings to you all always

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter