Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

MMitchell, the clip is titanium. There are people that believe they are allergic, do a search. They use it in knee and hip replacements too. The medical community does not believe in this, so it might be tough convincing them. You would need to find a doctor that will test your blood for the allergy since it's inside your body. Are you allergic to any other metals?

Sorry to say, if you must have a lumpectomy it won't be a problem any more. I had some intense joint pain during the time between the biopsy and the mastectomy, much worse than I had been having before. Never thought about being allergic to the metal, but I'm allergic to so much else, why not?

Thank you Dancind since I couldn't sleep last night i took your advice and did some research and you are definitely right just about every story i read the Doctor didn't believe their patient. I'm kinda sacred of that. The only thing on my side is that I was a very healthy person before finding this lump and I wasn't on any medication so I hope that works in my favor

MMitchel, I have no experience with the clip, but my thoughts are with you. I hope you find comfort soon and that your biopsy results are negative.

Well, today is the first day off the anti-nausea drugs and I'm doing okay. I still feel a bit off, but not nauseous like I was. Thursday was the worst. When I went in for my shot, I ran into the doctor. He took one look at me and told his staff to give me fluids and IV zofran. They did the same thing on Friday. Today, I am just bone weary tired. I can't sleep, but I have no energy at all. I guess this is the fatigue I was told to expect.

All in all, it could be so much worse. The fact that I just had the chemo infusion on Tuesday, I think I'm doing pretty well.

The drugs I am receiving are Cytoxan and Adriamycin. The shots are Leukine. I am supposed to get this combination for four times, then switch to Taxol.

Kendall is counting down the days until I am finished. She's made a calendar to keep track. Poor kid has so much on her plate right now. Besides trying to be there for me, she's in the middle of her tests. She was tested for just about every auto immune thing you can think of. She gets the results on 3/12...the same day as my next infusion. She has been in a lot of pain lately, so I hope the doctor comes up with a definite diagnosis. He suspects systemic lupus. I've suspected that for a long time, but it has taken this long to get anyone to run the proper tests. I just want her to get some relief. When this thing is over, we are both going to deserve that trip we are planning!!!

Hope the rest of you are having a good weekend. It's hot here in Florida! Wish I could go to the parks, but that's out for awhile. Oh well. The parks aren't going anywhere. They are going to look so good to me for the holidays! Hang in there, my friends!

Thank you Feralpeg and I'm so sorry about your nausea. I really hope it's not affecting your eating habits because you need to eat to keep your strenght.

Peg - just like a Mom, thinking of her kid before herself! That was the regimen I did as well. I know the feeling. Hang in there. :hug:

Did a few minutes of research on the clip. The reason the medical community doesn't believe it is because there isn't any verifiable research that shows it causes problems. Without research, I'm afraid it's mostly hearsay. Nonetheless, it seems as though many docs believe it "can" happen, and try to believe their patients when they say an implanted metal is bothering them, to the point of sometimes removing them. This has occurred with breast clips, tooth implants and orthopedic devices.

With that said, from what I understand, the clip is the size of a pinhead. And although it's made of titanium and other metals, it's covered in a PVC plastic (similar to that we encounter in all kinds of products every day) so that direct contact with the metal either doesn't occur, or takes a long time to occur. (There are some who believe the plastic can - over time - dissolve, and others who find that questionable. I did not have time to research whether the PVC covering has been found to be intact in those that have been removed. My guess would be it would be a little of both if it's in there for a long time.)

Removing a clip from the breast can leave a breast malformation since it requires a large area to remove it, about 2 inches wide. You can also have complications of surgery like infection. If you do have surgery for BC anyway, then I think it will come out. (Unless they plan to leave it there for another reason. Every case and surgery is so different, you never know for sure what they're going to do. I'm also assuming there is only one clip?)

The reason I said "that type of reaction" is that what you've experienced sounds more like a "systemic" reaction (if it was from the clip, ie it's far away from where your problems were) more so than a local reaction, which would be more in the breast area itself. I did read some reports of systemic allergic reaction from the metal, but those were more likely to occur later than a few days after implant (more like a year), and cause symptoms like fatigue, than swelling of the extremities. I did see one case of symtoms like yours, not sure what the outcome was. Testing doesn't always yield exact results.

The thing that I can't help but think of is a lot of my patients, who have pacemakers, defibrillators and other large metal devices implanted, who I've never seen complain of things like you've described in three decades of caring for them. It's rare that they come out, and if they do, it's usually more related to infection or lead fracture, etc. I'm not sure how one could explain a reaction to a clip the size of a pinhead as opposed to a large device like that, but maybe it's something to ask about.

At any rate, I hope you were able to find some relief from your symptoms.

Sweetpea you are my new Doctor. ;) I have no relief yet but I am counting on my follow up visit on Monday for any answer. I also thought about my axillary lymph nodes because they told me they were enlarged on my left side. So i'm hoping maybe that's a reason for the swelling and breakout. I'm just so aching to be well again

GAGWTA--long lost poster checking in again.

Think of you all daily and read here when I can!

Avery (my grandson) battling leukemia is officially in the maintenance phase of his second round of treatment (3 years of treatment started when he was 5, about 2 years remission, then recurrence when he turned 10.) So no "scheduled" inpatient treatments on the calendar, just monthly outpatient and monitoring and oral stuff at home, barring any infections/complications, should be around next New Years he is done. As usual he maintains the most courageous and determined spirit :thumbsup2 and keeps up with school work despite being kept home sometimes due to the illness of others out and about, not his own.

Youngest DD is still living up in Vermont and doing very well...promotion at work, working on an online Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis....and a boyfriend she is very serious about :lovestruc

All my annual "stuff" this year mammo, etc has come back fine :)

Peg, I am thinking of you and your DD. Two strong ladies...like mother like daughter....wishing you both continued strength and perseverance til you are out on the other side of these health challenges.

MMitchell....have you been taking anything different for meds? either prescription (painkillers after biopsy or anything for anxiety?)or any kind of OTC things like vitamins or supplements, etc? Food/drink...soaps/cleaning products?....just wracking my brain wondering if you are having a reaction to something other than the clip. I hope you get benign results.... and that the other stuff stops as quickly as it started! Keep us posted!

As I sit here, it is snowing yet again....not that anything will top the more than two feet that "Nemo" (name still cracks me up) dropped on us. But I am ready for spring now!!!

Thinking of you all and wishing you all well!!!:wave2:

NHAnn thank you for responding but no the only meds I have been taking is Tylenol and i'm not really taking that regularly because i'm just not sure anymore. I'm hoping for benign results but I don't think i'm going to get those results so i'm preparing for the worse.

MMitchell- hope you got good news yest. Thinking of you.

Peg - how are you feeling? Wishing you and Kendall all the best. Yes you are right. Disney will always be there so when you are up to it, you know its just a hop,skip and jump away from your front door!

Ann - so wonderful to hear that Avery is doing well. He continues to be in my prayers too

PatsMom - how are you feeling sista? Thought of you as my dh just got his new passport

Cheryl - how is Charley doing?

Laurie - dont know if you are still in NY. Wish the weather was more warmer and sunnier for your visit.

Well did anyone see my fundraising dinner thread. We went to one and we were the last ones and there was no food left. Needless to say I was not happy. You can read that one

We also dog sat ds2 friends dogs friday night. They were a lot of work and glad the ds were doing most of it, but it was nice to have some furry friends around . I am partial to the big and chunky male dog, well he is just big weight wise. They are king cavalier spaniels. Inseparable.

Ds3 nursing class yest. was on breast cancer:)

I am waiting to see if my infusion is still on for friday. I am sure they will call friday and cancel it with my luck with them lately.

Dh is going to the west coast in about 3 weeks. And then in May he is gong to china and I dont know when he is going to Russia. Meanwhile its our big anniv. in may. Hmm. I only consider big ones with zeros or 5's in them and he hasnt even talked about it. Oh well.

GAGWTA. Have a great day everyone Blessings to you all.

luvmarypoppins, I hope they don't reschedule you again. I'll be thinking of you!

I felt much better over the weekend. Of course, on Monday, I started the Leukine shots again. Now, I'm just really tired. I'll be done with the shots on Thursday. I'll have a week off (to have my colonoscopy) before starting the process again.

I wonder if the side effects tend to be the same way each time following an infusion. I'd like to think it won't get worse.

Oddly, the one thing I'm having trouble with is Diet Coke. I've always been a huge Diet Coke drinker. Now, I've had a hard time getting one can down per day. Perhaps, this is a good thing! :goodvibes I've had a scratchy throat from almost the beginning. It's not really sore...just irritated. Drinking the Diet Coke is like drinking razor blades. I guess I'll be a water person from here on out!

Kendall can't wait until her next doctor appointment. Unfortunately, before then, we are going to get another cold snap. The cooler temps really bother her. I must have anticipated this when I moved us to Florida. I can't imagine the pain she'd be in back in KC during the winter's now.

Sending prayers and happy thoughts to all!

Peg - sorry you are having the food/taste issues. When you said Kendall is sensitive to the cold I am too but that is because of the thyroid problems/cancer. I have always been sensitive to the cold, just never knew it was thyroid related.

Is the colonoscopy just routine? I had to have it when they first misdiagnosed me. I had severe anemia and they thought I was bleeding internally. Yeah right. I :rotfl: at it now They were totally looking at the wrong end! To be fair they also did an endoscopy at the same time. They said to my dh that they had trouble getting the tube down etc. Hmm, I guess they couldnt figure out I had a 12.5 cm. tumor compressing my trachea! Such is the wonderful world of medicine and hospitals.

Hoping your shot tomm. goes well.

Linda - ds got to do sq and iv meds yest and was so happy shadowing the nurse all day. He said he learned so much from her! He has been around so many mrsa patients. He immediately washes his scrubs when he gets home.

Laurie - sorry the weather has not been cooperating if you are still in NY, Another dreary day!

Remember how I said my endo wants me to get another gp. Well she gave me a name. I looked on line and she looked nice. Did some more research. Big problem. She is only a hospital interventionist She doest do out patients Why didnt my endo know this? I am afraid to say anything to her and not make her look good etc. Oh well there are a few other names on the list to check out. Back to the doctor drawing board.

GAGWTA. Hope everyone is doing ok.

Is the colonoscopy just routine?

The colonoscopy is routine. Since I hadn't had one in awhile, my oncologist suggested I do so.

Today's shot had to go in my belly. I guess my arm had finally had enough and decided to react. Itchy and red. Tomorrow is the last shot for this round!

I ammmm Backkkkkk.....

Almost had to drag me kicking and screaming from NYC. I am sure I could not handle living in the city but what a place to visit. As my sister says Manhattan is the new Disney!

I think this may have been the trip of a lifetime. Like a family and friend reunion NYC style. Best thing was that I did not have to cook or clean. My heavy lifting was prior to the trip, researching and organizing. It was challenging with everyone converging at different times, different days from different airports or by car, train, subway, etc.

We also played musical hotel rooms, as members of our party departed, we consolidated. Very interesting. The front desk was on a first name basis with me. I think they thought I was a colorful character. But they took care of us.

It was an ideal location wise for getting around. We did short cab rides when it was too cold or raining, subway fairly often and even walked more than I would have thought possible. The hotel had a complimentary continental breakfast and a wine and cheese reception in the evening that provided ideal anchors to our visit. We dispersed to do different activities and reconvened in the evening. Five days, 3 plays, 5 museums, and 2 jazz clubs later, whew. I organized a nice brunch with DD22's BF and immediate family in the restaurant on top of the museum of Art and Design on Columbus center facing central park. I planned ahead so we had a window table reserved with a great view on a beautiful sunny morning and live jazz playing in the background.

My brother was an immense help suggesting which plays and jazz clubs to pick, and was able to get us great discounts. I spent a bundle but I save a bundle too.

It all turned out nice. It was especially special for DH and DS24 as it was their first NYC trip. Won't be the last.

DD17 lost/had her phone stolen on her last day so that was a bit of a bummer, but the thief got a broken phone in a beat up case.

Knock yourself out dude!

Nice to be home. Beautiful here, having boiled crawfish tonight, which I am craving.

I have been following along with everyone's treatment. I hope Linda is doing ok.

GAGWTA!

Laurie - welcome back. We missed you! Glad you had such a great trip. Sorry about the uncooperative weather and sorry about your dd's cell phone. I always tell the ds when they go to put theirs in their front jeans pocket and not the back etc.

What plays did you see? How about the museums. Did you go back to the MOMA? I know how you said you loved it before. How about the Whitney?

Glad your dh and ds liked NYC too. Hope you can post some pictures. I always love looking at your pictures.

Pats Mom - thinking of you sista

Peg - how was your shot. Did they have to use your stomach again? I am sure that is unpleasant. Hope the side effects are bearable.

Well today ds21 took me for the infusion. He had to do a trach suctioning skills test and I am glad he got out of that in time and passed it. He liked the nurse who I had and she taught him a few things too. So he was really happy. Just observed of course, but she did take out some vein finder thing that he wanted to see that they dont have where he is etc. And voila, she pulled one out of the closet and let him practice on her and him but not me since I was in the midst of the infusion.

The strange side effects I am having right now are ringing in my ear, tiredness and thirsty. So far no fever, bone pain or delusions, so we shall see. These side effects right now are great compared to last time. Hope it stays this way.

GAGWTA. Blessings to you all always.

It has been so busy here since I have been gone! no hope of replying to everyone, but LMP I hope your symptoms continue to be minimal. Welcome home Snappy! I thought of you a lot while celebrating fat tuesday at Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen! had such good food and a few hurricanes and have a really pretty bead necklace as a keepsake.
It's been full on busy since we got back and today was the very first day in 9 that we were able to just stay home and relax!!
Went for my annual mammo on wednesday and because we are from out of town, they check it right away in case they want to do an ultrasound or biopsy, but she said things look good so I could go. don't want to be overly optomistic but I think I am still in the clear :) Back to the grind of trying to finish up the projects we had on the go, our new bedroom suite will be finished next week and are getting a new vanity and storage tower built for the bathroom as well. We finally got the shelf for the kitchen just before we left, so we still have to get that finished up too.
We had one day of cold rain and hail our first day in Anaheim and I was worried but it cleared out and gradually warmed up so our last week there was really nice. Got in lot's of time laying by the pool tanning between jaunts into the park :)

Smilie, you have so many projects going! Good thing you and your DH were away for awhile. I am sure you needed to recharge those batteries before taking everything on.

Glad you celebrated Mardi Gras in style. I bet the weather there was warmer and drier than south Louisiana that day.

Any congrats on the good mammo results!

LMP, are the side effects after the infusion diminishing today? The ones you mention do sound weird.

I was able to get a new screen put on the broken iphone that flew out of DD17's pocket and off the highest ride in Universal Orlando last summer last night as a stop gap step for now. I hope it works until we have another upgrade option.

I have been working on our trip pictures. We were so darn busy I did not take as many as I would have liked, and anyway I had the devil of a time getting people to pose especially with the temps, so I have more pictures of places and objects than people. But I will try and post a few after I finish getting a few uploaded to photobucket.

The Eventi rooms were nice. I was cheap and did not book suites, only regular rooms, but I was able to get Empire State views. New hotels, nice beds and linens, marble bathrooms

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

And the window partially opened, even on the 20th floor!!!

IMG_2598.jpg

Great views from our table at brunch at Robert, the restaurant on the top of the Art and Design museum at Columbus circle:

IMG_8624.jpg

IMG_8621.jpg

My dear brother took DD17 and DS 24 to the New Museum near his apartment and managed to get them to pose for some pictures on the rooftop with the skyline in the background (can you see the WTC in progress?)

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter