Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Shoot, I wrote an update during the storm but I'm not sure what happened to it. :confused: We were holed up in the living room with no power and only the gas fireplace to try to keep us warm, temps in the 40s in the house (people without fireplaces were lower) when I read from my phone you guys wondering about me. It was so touching (and fascinating for my mom, she still doesn't understand how all this works, lol). Anyway, I wrote in to say we were ok.

I did make it to work and home and it was an interesting ride, as always. But this time the governor ordered all but essential personnel off the roads so it made it better. You dealt with the storm, but not the traffic. We finally got power back last night, it was out since Friday. It was so nice to be warm again. We did have a small generator to keep the fridges going, and we swapped it out here and there for the coffeepot :lmao: the vacum, and little things like that; but heaters kept blowing it, so just the fireplace for heat. We did have a working gas stove and hot water, so that was a nice feature that many people here didn't have. (DH made the BEST egg sandwiches one morning, and I made a nice chowder that warmed us all up.) Sunday night we got a DVD player going, and DS later took it over for XBox with his friends. It was so funny to see them all bundled up in snow gear playing XBox (sucking down the chowder! :idea: )

So we spent a couple of days holed up as a family with few electronics, barely even a radio the first two nights - bad connection or something.( DD's boyfriend even spent a night with us as he's in a beach area that was evacuated.) My mother (87) was telling the kids that when she was growing up, her house was always like that in the morning until someone got up and lit the stove for heat. Stories like that. So it was kind of funny for them to realize it wasn't so long ago that things were a lot different, and how good they have it.

Nights were the worst. We had so much crap in the living room you couldn't move. :rotfl2: I think every pillow and blanket in the house, plus we had layers of clothing but still had cold noses, lol. Plus the dog and hamster were there with us. We tried to keep the dog under the blankets with us but she wanted to be the sentry by the front door - she knew something was off and stayed on duty. The hamster had the best seat in the house, right next to the fireplace. He and I were awake most of the nights and I was just watching him in his cage by the firelight. I think he really enjoyed the warmth and the glow, he was having a ball! I am exhausted right now, spent most of last night and today getting the house back in order, doing the dishes, the laundry, re-making beds, etc. We've lost power many times but usually it's not freezing cold out, and usually it's not for more than a few hours or one day. It is a pain, but I don't know that it could have been avoided. I drove my daughter to babysit a little while ago and there are STILL downed power lines all over the ground. I know there are crews from all over the country working on restoring power and fixing the lines, so to see them still down, to me means they are still doing other things first.

Thank you all for your concern. :flower3: Glad everyone else affected was ok, too. We had several deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Oh and today they call and want to reschedule my reclast infusion next week.

I can relate. Here I was dreading tomorrow and the start of chemo. I had appointments today for a mammogram, breast MRI and sonogram on my other breast. It took five hours. When I finally got home, I had a message saying they had to reschedule my appointment for tomorrow. I have to call the in the morning and set up another time. UGH! I so want to get this started so I can at least know what to expect. The sooner I start, the sooner I'll be done.

The good news is that my other breast is totally fine. Bizarre, but I'm glad.

Hope you are able to get in for your infusion soon!

Happy Valentines Day Ladies:flower3:

Hope everyone has a good day. My wonderful dh has offered to...take me grocery shopping, He suggested this. Always the romantic:)

Peg - I am so, so sorry you have to deal with all this. Its not just physical its the emotional stuff too. You get yourself set up for it and then boom, cancel, wait etc. had that with one or two of my surgeries. I hope you can get on with the treatment plan. Keep thinking of your trip!

PatsMom - hope they have come up with a treatment plan that you are comfortable with too.

Well they called about the infusion I am still going the same day but an earlier time as they said the infusion nurse has to leave. So much run around for 30 minutes etc. Ds21 is taking me. He wants to see the process. Hm, nursing is getting to him for sure.

Good and not so good news about the little girl. Now the tumor board says its a non malignant tumor. Its a very rare ? astrocytoma. It says only 2% of kids get it and while they couldnt resect it all they want to do immediate chemo and radiation which the mom does not want to do. She is giving her a diet of no carbs, no sugar and no dairy and something else. But she is trying to get 2nd and 3rd opinions and wants to try to get into Duke etc. That familys plate is too heavy right now.

GAGWTA. Thinking of you all.

Peg, I can't imagine having my first chemo treatment rescheduled at the last minute like that! Did you get a new date yet?

LMP, I hope the infusion isn't too rough on you.

Linda, sounds like you had quite a time being snowed in! Wow - thank goodness for generators! Probably not something any of you will ever forget.

PatsMom, hope you appt went as well as it could have.

Dancing, your vacation plans sound nice. Glad to hear you are feeling well.

Snappy, is this the weekend you are in New York?

Smiley, are you still at DL? Can't wait to hear all about your trip, and all the yummy eats! I'm really looking forward to going next month.....getting very excited! Since this will be our second time there, I'm not feeling so overwhelmed with all the differences between DL & WDW.

I finished painting the bathroom this week, now I'm just waiting on DH to install the new faucet and light fixture. Looks much better!

GAGWTA!!

CherylDan, I am rescheduled for this Tuesday. It will happen if I have to go sit in their office until it does! This waiting is driving me crazy!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. It's cold here in Florida...by Florida standards. It will reach the low 30s tonight. Last week, it was 85. Insane weather!

Peg - I am glad you are going to get the show started so to speak. Waiting is the worst. As I said before, its your body etc. and sometimes they just dont seem to care. You are just a name on the appt. schedule etc. Wishing you all the best. Peg I heard others say how cold it was too. Worst cold we had was one december. So cold people didnt even show up for the dis meet we had scheduled. People were buying those slanket type things and even beach towels just to bundle up with for the parade etc. It was even cold for this northern girl! I think its the wind that made it worse! Glad sunny and warm days are coming! Wisihing you all the best

Laurie - is your trip this week end or next? They are saying snow for friday maybe. Of course its always changing.

Cheryl - you are amazing with all your remodeling stuff. I bet you save a ton of money for sure!

PatsMom - how are you feeling?

Well I tried to throw dh off a little and we went out last night to a different place. I got fish and lets just say the bathroom was my friend lat night. Ugh!

Oh and I must be on a role because they called me from radiation oncology and left a message they want to move my June appt up till just a half hour earlier. I have to call back to confirm. At least they arent cancelling the whole appt. etc. This onc. gets so mad if you are late etc. and I think I am the lst one that day so I am sure if we are la little late she will start grumping off on us etc.

We are suppose to get some snow tonight. Getting weary of this.

GAGWTA. Blessings to you all always.

Snow on Friday? Say it ain't so.

No we are still here in the south. I had a big meal at my house, and after we ate, we did planning as to which plays, museums, jazz clubs on which dates.
Still a bit up in the air, but I think we will nail some stuff down tomorrow. Glad i have had our flight and room reservations for weeks. Hard when we arriving at different times, and of course both my brother and DD22 are only going to be with us during the weekend. It will go by fast.

PeanMe, I hope things are starting to get back to normal. I can appreciate the amount of work it is to whip everything back into shape after you regained electricity. It sounds all too familiar to the aftermath of a hurricane.

Peg, you sound like you are rolling with the punches, even though it must be frustrating.

Dancind, your California trip sounds relaxing and reinvigorating. Yours as well, CherylDan. My only trip to DL was when I was 10. But a very good trip. Long road trip.

MaryAnn, sorry the fish caused you issues.

Patsmom, I hope you got some answers yesterday. Has the snow melted?

Having a great long weekend with my brother here. He is helping us get great prices on play tickets, and even played us videos on which groups are performing at the different jazz clubs. We have made some informed choices now.

GAGWTA!

Peg, sending you lots of good thoughts for your treatment tomorrow!

Snappy, sounds like your vacation plans are coming along nicely.....so many choices, I'm sure having your brother there must be a huge help! Hopefully the weather will cooperate, especially if you will be doing a lot of walking.

LMP, it seems like we are always doing some type do home improvement project.....strange hobby, I guess, but we've been in the do-it-yourself club ever since we bought our first house. Literally built three houses since then - two for us, and one for my mom. LOL, let's just say we've gotten fairly good at it over the years.

Our 4 yr old bichon keeps biting at his foot, been at it for about a week now and it looks all red and inflamed. Taking him to the vet tomorrow. I can't see anything wrong with it, other than what he's done to it. I'm curious to see what the vet thinks.

GAGWTA!!

My first treatment went pretty well. I did get a bit of a headache toward the end. They gave me Zofran before I started and a prescription for Compazine to take at home. I will take the Compazine every six hours. Tomorrow morning I take the Zofran again and continue the Compazine. I keep this up for 48 hours.

Tomorrow I go in for the first of seven shots. They told me to take Tylenol before I go in. The shots will make me feel achy.

All in all, not to bad. I hope tomorrow continues as well as today.

One down!

Peg - Gad to hear things went pretty well for you. l love zofran. Hope that and the compazine help with the side effects. Hope the shot today is not too painful. Sending you thoughts and prayers.

PatsMom - how are you doing? Thinking of you

Cheryl - I hope the vet will be able to see what is wrong with Charley, poor pup.

Laurie - have a great trip. Cant wait to hear all about it. Guess what, I read the Setai was listed as one of the top 10 hotel in america. I hope your new hotel is just as good.

Sha - thinking of you sista. Long time, no post. Hope all is well.

Linda - my ds got to do some wound care. Now he is itching to get into the or but it will be 2 weeks since the instructor scheduled him last in his group.

Well they cancelled my infusion again. :headache:. They said one infusion nurse is training and the other ones dad is in the hospital. I said I have been waiting months for this etc. So she makes it for next friday and says, oh I may have to cancel that too:headache:. I say, well is there somewhere else I can go and get this. She says, maybe the cancer center if they can get a chair for you. So if they cancel me again I am telling her to make an appt. for me at the cancer center. I am sure that will be better if I can get a space there etc. I only want to do it on a friday since if I get sick it will be for 2 days and dh wont have to take off work on the week end verses the week which he would have to do. So frustrating

Anyone else watching Kelly and Michael Live from DW. I watch a little of the end when I can. Wish I was there but they always have on long sleeves I see so it must be cold? But enjoy watching it all.

GAGWTA

luvmarypoppins - Hope they manage to get you in for your infusion soon. Waiting is the worst.

I'm doing okay today. Minor bouts of nausea, but only for a second or two at at time. The oddest thing is my face. I am very flushed. It looks like someone has slapped me on my cheeks. I'm not running a fever, but those areas are very warm to the touch. I plan on asking then about it when I go in for my shot this afternoon.

Hang in there everyone!

Wow, MaryAnn I can't believe they rescheduled you again! :headache: Hopefully after all this trouble, you will be side effect free!

Charley is doing much better (I must say, you have quite an impressive memory to remember his name!). The vet prescribed some topical antibiotic/steroid treatment, and the ever dreaded cone of shame. Poor guy, it's taking him awhile to figure out that his head is now twice as big.....as soon as we got home, he headed full speed for the doggie door - he looked sooooo surprised not to be able to go through it!

Peg, glad your treatment went well. And like you said, that's one down......always good to keep your thoughts on the finish line! How is your DD doing?

And now a complaint about this very cold weather.......brrrrrr. Have I mentioned that I hate winter???

GAGWTA!!:goodvibes

I know this is a breast cancer survivor thread so forgive me if i'm in the wrong thread. I'm a 42yr old who had my first mammogram done last Sept and it came back normal. Several weeks later while taking a shower I noticed a palpable lump on my left breast. I thought nothing of it because it was my time of the month and I figured with my hormones acting all crazy it will just pass. Well it didn't and now a few months later I'm sitting here waiting on results from a biopsy that was done on Feb. 6th

I really want to ask a question because during my biopsy there was a metal clip placed in me and as of early this week I noticed my hands are swollen and painful and I developed bumps on them as well as several different areas of my body. It's weird because it just came out the blue. I'm trying to hold out because I go back to the Doctor on Monday for a follow-up and I guess she'll tell me my results of the biopsy, the ultrasound and diagnostic mammogram they had to do on me.

Someone mentioned to me that I might be allergic to the clip that's in me so I was wondering have any of you experienced it? Or know someone who has? I'm so tired and just want to go to sleep right now but can't because i'm so uncomfortable.

MMitchell, I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable. I have never heard of that but you never know. It could also be something completely unrelated. I can't imagine a clip causing that type of reaction. I'd say you should probably have it seen today. They might not be able to tell you exactly what it is, but they will be able to give you something to ease the discomfort, like a steroid or cream. Also, this thread is for anyone who's having issues related to cancer, so you came to the right place.

MMitchell, the clip is titanium. There are people that believe they are allergic, do a search. They use it in knee and hip replacements too. The medical community does not believe in this, so it might be tough convincing them. You would need to find a doctor that will test your blood for the allergy since it's inside your body. Are you allergic to any other metals?

Sorry to say, if you must have a lumpectomy it won't be a problem any more. I had some intense joint pain during the time between the biopsy and the mastectomy, much worse than I had been having before. Never thought about being allergic to the metal, but I'm allergic to so much else, why not?

MMitchel, I have no experience with the clip, but my thoughts are with you. I hope you find comfort soon and that your biopsy results are negative.

Well, today is the first day off the anti-nausea drugs and I'm doing okay. I still feel a bit off, but not nauseous like I was. Thursday was the worst. When I went in for my shot, I ran into the doctor. He took one look at me and told his staff to give me fluids and IV zofran. They did the same thing on Friday. Today, I am just bone weary tired. I can't sleep, but I have no energy at all. I guess this is the fatigue I was told to expect.

All in all, it could be so much worse. The fact that I just had the chemo infusion on Tuesday, I think I'm doing pretty well.

The drugs I am receiving are Cytoxan and Adriamycin. The shots are Leukine. I am supposed to get this combination for four times, then switch to Taxol.

Kendall is counting down the days until I am finished. She's made a calendar to keep track. Poor kid has so much on her plate right now. Besides trying to be there for me, she's in the middle of her tests. She was tested for just about every auto immune thing you can think of. She gets the results on 3/12...the same day as my next infusion. She has been in a lot of pain lately, so I hope the doctor comes up with a definite diagnosis. He suspects systemic lupus. I've suspected that for a long time, but it has taken this long to get anyone to run the proper tests. I just want her to get some relief. When this thing is over, we are both going to deserve that trip we are planning!!!

Hope the rest of you are having a good weekend. It's hot here in Florida! Wish I could go to the parks, but that's out for awhile. Oh well. The parks aren't going anywhere. They are going to look so good to me for the holidays! Hang in there, my friends!

Peg - just like a Mom, thinking of her kid before herself! That was the regimen I did as well. I know the feeling. Hang in there. :hug:

Did a few minutes of research on the clip. The reason the medical community doesn't believe it is because there isn't any verifiable research that shows it causes problems. Without research, I'm afraid it's mostly hearsay. Nonetheless, it seems as though many docs believe it "can" happen, and try to believe their patients when they say an implanted metal is bothering them, to the point of sometimes removing them. This has occurred with breast clips, tooth implants and orthopedic devices.

With that said, from what I understand, the clip is the size of a pinhead. And although it's made of titanium and other metals, it's covered in a PVC plastic (similar to that we encounter in all kinds of products every day) so that direct contact with the metal either doesn't occur, or takes a long time to occur. (There are some who believe the plastic can - over time - dissolve, and others who find that questionable. I did not have time to research whether the PVC covering has been found to be intact in those that have been removed. My guess would be it would be a little of both if it's in there for a long time.)

Removing a clip from the breast can leave a breast malformation since it requires a large area to remove it, about 2 inches wide. You can also have complications of surgery like infection. If you do have surgery for BC anyway, then I think it will come out. (Unless they plan to leave it there for another reason. Every case and surgery is so different, you never know for sure what they're going to do. I'm also assuming there is only one clip?)

The reason I said "that type of reaction" is that what you've experienced sounds more like a "systemic" reaction (if it was from the clip, ie it's far away from where your problems were) more so than a local reaction, which would be more in the breast area itself. I did read some reports of systemic allergic reaction from the metal, but those were more likely to occur later than a few days after implant (more like a year), and cause symptoms like fatigue, than swelling of the extremities. I did see one case of symtoms like yours, not sure what the outcome was. Testing doesn't always yield exact results.

The thing that I can't help but think of is a lot of my patients, who have pacemakers, defibrillators and other large metal devices implanted, who I've never seen complain of things like you've described in three decades of caring for them. It's rare that they come out, and if they do, it's usually more related to infection or lead fracture, etc. I'm not sure how one could explain a reaction to a clip the size of a pinhead as opposed to a large device like that, but maybe it's something to ask about.

At any rate, I hope you were able to find some relief from your symptoms.

GAGWTA--long lost poster checking in again.

Think of you all daily and read here when I can!

Avery (my grandson) battling leukemia is officially in the maintenance phase of his second round of treatment (3 years of treatment started when he was 5, about 2 years remission, then recurrence when he turned 10.) So no "scheduled" inpatient treatments on the calendar, just monthly outpatient and monitoring and oral stuff at home, barring any infections/complications, should be around next New Years he is done. As usual he maintains the most courageous and determined spirit :thumbsup2 and keeps up with school work despite being kept home sometimes due to the illness of others out and about, not his own.

Youngest DD is still living up in Vermont and doing very well...promotion at work, working on an online Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis....and a boyfriend she is very serious about :lovestruc

All my annual "stuff" this year mammo, etc has come back fine :)

Peg, I am thinking of you and your DD. Two strong ladies...like mother like daughter....wishing you both continued strength and perseverance til you are out on the other side of these health challenges.

MMitchell....have you been taking anything different for meds? either prescription (painkillers after biopsy or anything for anxiety?)or any kind of OTC things like vitamins or supplements, etc? Food/drink...soaps/cleaning products?....just wracking my brain wondering if you are having a reaction to something other than the clip. I hope you get benign results.... and that the other stuff stops as quickly as it started! Keep us posted!

As I sit here, it is snowing yet again....not that anything will top the more than two feet that "Nemo" (name still cracks me up) dropped on us. But I am ready for spring now!!!

Thinking of you all and wishing you all well!!!:wave2:

And it could be the PVC causing the reaction, or something used during the procedure. Plastic allergies are becoming more common.

MMitchell, I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable. I have never heard of that but you never know. It could also be something completely unrelated. I can't imagine a clip causing that type of reaction. I'd say you should probably have it seen today. They might not be able to tell you exactly what it is, but they will be able to give you something to ease the discomfort, like a steroid or cream. Also, this thread is for anyone who's having issues related to cancer, so you came to the right place.

Thanks sweet pea (can I call you that?) I would love something to ease the discomfort or just be able to open a bottle of water. I thought it was chicken pox at first but I had them at 8yrs old already. I'm glad I came to the right place

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter