direct to room check in??

They did this as a test at select resorts last year and it seemed to go pretty smoothly, so I'm excited to try this. FWIW, I'm under the impression that you can opt not to do this and still do standard check-in or online check-in if you want.

My question is what happens if you arrive early and your room isn't ready yet? Do they text you and tell you this so you know to have your bags stored at bell services?

I'd also be concerned about people who will choose this option, go to the room, decide they don't like it and then go to the front desk asking to be moved. With all the people who make requests and then ask to be moved, I can see this happening. Since these people would have already been in the room for an unknown amount of time, it's concerning for the people coming into that room after that - what if they used the restroom, they put things in the garbage, sat on the bed, etc. The next guest will be able to tell that their room has been disturbed.

I don't see why they can't have this put into your room before it is "available" to you.

Interested to see if there is still any pixie dust with the new system. I know it is few and far between but hoping opting into the new system isn't opting out of the possibility of a little magic at check in!!

No, we didn't use Magical Express. We rented a car and drove to the resort. I got the text when we were on the way to the resort from the airport. We went directly to the room and noticed there wasn't a resort map and parking pass. So I just went down to the lobby. The lady said that this is the disadvantage of not checking into the lobby first is that you have to come back anyway and get the map and parking pass.

If you found your own way to the room, why do you need to get a map ;-)

I wonder if it will be available at the fort wilderness cabins. It's not listed with the dates.
I don't know about that one because many want to rent golf carts and need a map to get around that place. I would expect FW to not get this. I think also has to do with the campsites. I don't think they would just do it for the cabins and not the campsites. I could be wrong but that's just my thinking.

Magic bands are replacing the parking pass. Maps aren't just needed to find your room but also to locate location of resort amenities. Maps could be left in the room. Disney could just rely on smartphone apps and map boards (signs) posted throughout the resort.

Years ago one of the DME videos talked about issuing guest keys at MCO then busing guests directly to a theme park. Makes sense. Carry on bags--Disney could increase the number of lockers outside the theme parks or let guests "check" their carryon bags to their resort at the DME area of MCO

When we went to POR this past June, I received a text saying that my room was ready and what room number we were in. I did have to go down to the front desk later to grab a resort map and a parking pass.

Similar experience at different resort.

I am am curious about Magic Bands. With all of the glitches that remain, is it wise to start marching about the Parks without verifying data and spending permissions (like occurs at personalized check-in)?

Then again, if you have a split stay or already know all your Magic Bands are functioning properly, then I can see the benefit of bypassing check-in.

Also, I would guess if you travel to Disney regularly, the Magic Band process has become far less cumbersome.

Now If I were you then I would go to the front desk. I feel direct to room check in is for repeat guests who know the resort and don't need that face to face check in.
Could be problems with split-stays and MagicBands if you have multiples. Call me old-fashioned (and I'm only 36) but I like the face-to-face interaction that occurs at Check-in.

Could be problems with split-stays and MagicBands if you have multiples. Call me old-fashioned (and I'm only 36) but I like the face-to-face interaction that occurs at Check-in.
And that's why they still will offer both. Many people don't like the interaction and many do it depends on the person.

Years ago one of the DME videos talked about issuing guest keys at MCO then busing guests directly to a theme park. Makes sense. Carry on bags--Disney could increase the number of lockers outside the theme parks or let guests "check" their carryon bags to their resort at the DME area of MCO
At Disneyland Paris you can do that, you arrive at the train station, drop your bags with Disney and go to the park. Only downside is you still have to go to front desk to complete check in after a day at the park.

The two things that will keep us from doing this are: Wanting a certain area and also picking up DN's Birthday button. I'm also wondering about the welcome packet with the parking pass, and park hours.

It will not be required for everyone. In order to bypass the front desk, you have to online check-in completely. Thant means some kind of credit card for purchasing. So if you want to go to the front desk, don't do online check-in.
I would love it for the resorts I am familiar with and when I go somewhere new, I will do front desk.

We stayed at AOA in January and unwittingly had this. We did magical express and got there and our room wasn't ready(we did get our packet at the desk though). After checking our bags we went to a park and got a text letting us know the room was ready and what number it was. When returning from the park we went straight to our room and our bags were already there. Apparently we were part of the trial and didn't even know it. Was nice to have since we had already been to the front desk but I think when we stay in May I will still choose to go to the desk at the beginning of our trip...of course we are arriving by Magical Express so you are brought straight to check-in anyway.

Which is why I'll probably opt to do normal check-in. I love the entire vacation experience. Part of the experience being interacting with CM's at check-in.

Which is why I'll probably opt to do normal check-in. I love the entire vacation experience. Part of the experience being interacting with CM's at check-in.

Umm...

That's not really gonna be an option for all that much longer...they will only carry limited staff going forward.

If they want that "niche" to go away...it's gone, baby.

As a side...my MIL swore she'd never book DVC online...liked the phone.
She's booking online these days.
Said she'd never use the bands... Came bounding off the plane yesterday with pink band strapped.

If they can save a few bucks an hour and only "minorly" inconvenience you...
Prepare to be inconvenienced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter