direct to room check in??

Umm...

That's not really gonna be an option for all that much longer...they will only carry limited staff going forward.

If they want that "niche" to go away...it's gone, baby.

As a side...my MIL swore she'd never book DVC online...liked the phone.
She's booking online these days.
Said she'd never use the bands... Came bounding off the plane yesterday with pink band strapped.

If they can save a few bucks an hour and only "minorly" inconvenience you...
Prepare to be inconvenienced.

I have to think that it will always be an option, even if in a limited capacity.

If I am unable to check-in in person, then how will I know what room number I am in? My cell phone does not get text messages.

I guess I'm thinking

Yeah but do they have room numbers? I didn't think they did. We are stay at GF for the first time this Sept. I wouldn't know where to go. I hope they keep this an option instead of making everyone use it. Though if they send the map it might help.

I'd be worried though this would make it more difficult to switch rooms. I've always checked in and looked at the map to see where we were if I didn't like it I would ask very nicely and point to the spot I wanted. I usually got it too. I'm thinking this will make it harder.

Room switching is gonna be bye bye shortly as well...it creates "holes" or "lockouts" that cause efficiency problems.

They used to take phone calls, letters, faxes for that type of thing.

But that was a warmer, fuzzier disney. I'm guessing it has been largely eliminated now anyway.

I'm usually not a fan of streamlining...but in the case of room switches I fully am. They are more trouble than they're worth logistically. Barring maintenance issues - that's different.

After handling a ton of complaints regarding room locations...I got one reason 95% of the time:
"I'm paying all this money"

Not a valid argument.

I have to think that it will always be an option, even if in a limited capacity.

If I am unable to check-in in person, then how will I know what room number I am in? My cell phone does not get text messages.
Lol...
I think you might be the outlier there, President Lincoln

Lol...
I think you might be the outlier there, President Lincoln

It's by choice. I have texting blocked from my phone. It makes no sense to me. It's like buying the most expensive computer system you can find so you can play Pong on it.

Plus I hate the fact that I have no control over incoming messages. Which means any one can send me an unnecessary message and bump up my phone bill by 20 cents every time.

Now, will you kindly get off my lawn, I have to go watch Murder She Wrote.

It's by choice. I have texting blocked from my phone. It makes no sense to me. It's like buying the most expensive computer system you can find so you can play Pong on it.

Plus I hate the fact that I have no control over incoming messages. Which means any one can send me an unnecessary message and bump up my phone bill by 20 cents every time.

Now, will you kindly get off my lawn, I have to go watch Murder She Wrote.

Ummm...you do realize that all major carriers eliminated charges for texting about 6 years ago... Give or take?

Room switching is gonna be bye bye shortly as well...it creates "holes" or "lockouts" that cause efficiency problems.

They used to take phone calls, letters, faxes for that type of thing.

But that was a warmer, fuzzier disney. I'm guessing it has been largely eliminated now anyway.

I'm usually not a fan of streamlining...but in the case of room switches I fully am. They are more trouble than they're worth logistically. Barring maintenance issues - that's different.

After handling a ton of complaints regarding room locations...I got one reason 95% of the time:
"I'm paying all this money"

Not a valid argument.

I think it's a valid argument. Especially if they get your request wrong in the beginning. I understand if a hotel is full that it can't be met but more than once in the past I have gone and they have not added my request and I say oh I asked for that is it possible and they go yeah this room is open. So if they would just of given me that room in the beginning then switching rooms wouldn't be a problem.

But I would like my request to be met if not I like asking. I understand if they can't I would and I wouldn't let it get me down but if they couldn't because of a rule even tho a room I would prefer would be open that would make me mad. If that made any sense. :confused:

Ummm...you do realize that all major carriers eliminated charges for texting about 6 years ago... Give or take?

ATT has 2 texting options. $20 per month unlimited or 20 cents per message. I wasn't getting a ton of messages so it didn't make sense to spend $20 just to save $5.

they do email notifications also which is important because it says in the description that texts are only for US phone numbers. The biggest news here is that if they want to do a full on roll out then they should start shipping magic bands internationally as well because being in Canada we don't get them shipped to us and so if we want to do this we still have to go to the desk to get our bands

ATT has 2 texting options. $20 per month unlimited or 20 cents per message. I wasn't getting a ton of messages so it didn't make sense to spend $20 just to save $5.

I would guess 75% of AT&T customers ( such as me) are on the smartphone plans...where it's "monthly access and data" and not much else.

I think it's a valid argument. Especially if they get your request wrong in the beginning. I understand if a hotel is full that it can't be met but more than once in the past I have gone and they have not added my request and I say oh I asked for that is it possible and they go yeah this room is open. So if they would just of given me that room in the beginning then switching rooms wouldn't be a problem.

But I would like my request to be met if not I like asking. I understand if they can't I would and I wouldn't let it get me down but if they couldn't because of a rule even tho a room I would prefer would be open that would make me mad. If that made any sense. :confused:

I fully agree with you in principle...IF you could trust people to act appropriately and not demand it.

Unfortunately...you can't and it often becomes a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" scenario...which you just can't/shouldn't support.

Everybody is "paying so much"...that's why the argument is invalid. Whether you're there once...or 3 times a year.

I fully agree with you in principle...IF you could trust people to act appropriately and not demand it.

Unfortunately...you can't and it often becomes a "squeaky wheel gets the grease" scenario...which you just can't/shouldn't support.

That's true. But those people. The people who are rude and b*tch and complain to get what they want. They'll do that no matter what the rule is. And it'll be the nice ones that get burned cause if it did become a rule of no switching the nice ones won't say anything.

That's true. But those people. The people who are rude and b*tch and complain to get what they want. They'll do that no matter what the rule is. And it'll be the nice ones that get burned cause if it did become a rule of no switching the nice ones won't say anything.

That's true...but it's kinda two sides of the same coin.

My experience is to lock it down to shut down the whiners...

Besides...it's more fun that way ;)

The reality also is that Disney hotels are larger, spread out, and high occupancy...which makes accommodating request fairly very difficult.

But in my experience there's also two schools of thought on that...neither completely right or wrong.

You get a parking pass in the packet I wonder if they would just give you one when you come through the guard gate now?
My past 3 trips we were given our parking pass at the guard gate before when we arrived, our room was only ready once out of those trips and we did online check in so I really don't see much difference with the bypass since we had to wait for the text alert when our room was ready. We went with extended family who were also staying on site at a different resort we both received texts at 3pm saying our rooms were ready. Im sure they were ready before but I'm guessing since that's the official check in time that's when the alerts are programed to go out

For those of you who have done this, if my flight lands at 10:35a.m. and I take the Magical Express and already did precheckin, about what time do you think I can be at MK? Conservative guess please. I am curious about fastpasses on my arrival day. TiA!

For those of you who have done this, if my flight lands at 10:35a.m. and I take the Magical Express and already did precheckin, about what time do you think I can be at MK? Conservative guess please. I am curious about fastpasses on my arrival day. TiA!
We got in at POR at 9 am in July online check in got in our room in Epcot by 10 am I didn't have FPs booked until after 11.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter