• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... I just did anyway. From the horse's mouth re: room service ....

Well there you go. :)

Thanks so much for settling this. My small brain can now relax. :lmao:

:worship:

On another subject; Does DCL know you are sharing policies, procedures, and incredible helpful information? Are they watching/reading your posts? Did you have to get permission?
Of course I somewhat recall some discussion on this earlier.
TIA

You deserve a monthly bonus. IMHO :thumbsup2

FWIW I'm only sitting 2 tables away from the bell box crewmembers, I could ask them about tipping if you like *nevermind I just did anyway. From the horse's mouth re: room service: "When we receive any tips in cash we can keep it and not have to declare the total to anyone. The slips are collected and divided among the entire bell box department. It takes a while 1-2 weeks for these tips to show up on the paycheck and you can never really know how much you got. We are never supposed to just tell the guests to give us cash."

Thank you! Great to know! I will make sure to do cash!

I don't know how much room service we will be doing with a four night cruise and all the food options but I agree, I will bring some singles for this purpose, seems like a long time to have to wait for their tips.

Hmm, I don't know how I feel about the tip sharing policy. I received excellent service from the phone operator who took my room service order. She was very helpful in explaining the stuff on the menu so I guess I don't mind if she got part of the tip. I also loved how they would call in the mornings before bringing up the breakfast. It gave me time to put something on without having to rush around worrying about the poor person holding a heavy tray outside my door. I wonder if it would be too weird to just split the tip between cash for the person who brings the food and then adding a little something on the receipt to be split between those behind the scenes.

.... split the tip between cash for the person who brings the food and then adding a little something on the receipt to be split between those behind the scenes.

That's very thoughtful, and sounds very equitable. :angel:

But a tad more time consuming. Seconds count aboard. Especially at $2.67/sec. :lmao:

Well there you go. :)

Thanks so much for settling this. My small brain can now relax. :lmao:

:worship:

On another subject; Does DCL know you are sharing policies, procedures, and incredible helpful information? Are they watching/reading your posts? Did you have to get permission?
Of course I somewhat recall some discussion on this earlier.
TIA

You deserve a monthly bonus. IMHO :thumbsup2

Yeah, my managers have been pretty clear that anything within the ordinary realm of information that we'd be able to say to guests if asked is fair to be open and honest about.

It's a lot of confidential things like security codes, safety alerts, onboard numbers, crew procedures that aren't meant to be public, pretty much anything with actual numbers and figures that can be abused in the wrong hands can't be shared! So for example I can't go in the computers here and list down the policies and contingency plans in the Cruise Director's file, or go into the backstage areas and take photos of schematics and things!

*Where I might be in trouble is Character Integrity so I've been tiptoeing and deliberate in using non magic-killing speak what talking expressly about the characters because I don't want my roommate in trouble either! *

Ok in 13 cruises with DCL and a ton of room service orders I have never seen a Slip.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

Ok in 13 cruises with DCL and a ton of room service orders I have never seen a Slip.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

I have never seen a slip either, although I have only done 4 cruises. Maybe nobody gets a slip the first order, and slips are brought to those who did not tip in cash the first time?

:stir:

Like I said .... few report the slip offer option.

I wonder how the phone operator(s)/RS staff feel about this.
Does the delivery CM report that the pax didn't tip. :eek:

Hey, we found more folks to acknowledge. :lmao:

We always saw a slip, but decided to tip cash last cruise. Had no idea about the difference until I read here.

Wow!!! I can't believe I read this ENTIRE thread!!! I'm not sure when I started but I think it took me over a week.

I've found some really great tips and lots of good info.

I have a question for those more experienced cruisers. If you are bringing alcohol, water, and/or soda in your carry-on, what exactly are you using for your carry-ons? This sounds so heavy!

Thanks in advance!

Wow!!! I can't believe I read this ENTIRE thread!!! I'm not sure when I started but I think it took me over a week.

I've found some really great tips and lots of good info.

I have a question for those more experienced cruisers. If you are bringing alcohol, water, and/or soda in your carry-on, what exactly are you using for your carry-ons? This sounds so heavy!

Thanks in advance!

Many people use rolling carryon bags. Others just a "regular" carry on type, or backpack.

One note, no need to bring water onboard. The water onboard is processed just like most bottled water (reverse osmosis and filtered) and tastes fine.

May I ask how many children you travelled with in your stateroom? I was told they would sign a pillowcase for each of my three children.

If your three children are sailing with you, they will sign all three. If the children are not with you, it is only two per stateroom. My DH and I sailed without the kids and took three cases. They would only accept two to be signed. They said they only make exceptions if there are more than two children in the room.

Thanks for all these great tips!
I have read several posts, but not the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this was already discussed.

Regarding the photo mats: what is the smallest sized photo mat that I could bring still have room for the signatures? Would a mat for a 5X7 be too small? How about a mat for an 8x10? Is there a zip lock bag big enough for a large mat?

Also, should I state landscape vs portrait?

Thanks!

Thanks for all these great tips! I have read several posts, but not the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this was already discussed. Regarding the photo mats: what is the smallest sized photo mat that I could bring still have room for the signatures? Would a mat for a 5X7 be too small? How about a mat for an 8x10? Is there a zip lock bag big enough for a large mat? Also, should I state landscape vs portrait? Thanks!

I used a 5x7 mat but it was in an 8x10 frame so it was much wider. Plenty of room.

Thanks for all these great tips! I have read several posts, but not the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this was already discussed. Regarding the photo mats: what is the smallest sized photo mat that I could bring still have room for the signatures? Would a mat for a 5X7 be too small? How about a mat for an 8x10? Is there a zip lock bag big enough for a large mat? Also, should I state landscape vs portrait? Thanks!

I fit an 8x10 mat into a gallon sized ziplock bag with the markers. I can't remember if I stated landscape or Portrait. I just picked a picture from the bunch at Shutters that fit, ours was signed Portrait and we have a really nice family photo on the staircase from the dream that fit perfectly in there. I did draw a line in pencil around the mat and asked that they stay inside so we could see all the signatures in full view, without any if them being hidden behind the frame (cuz part of the mat is covered by the frame) and they did as asked!

This next cruise I think I'll do pillow cases for all the kids, and use an iron on photo or have one screen printed on them.

I fit an 8x10 mat into a gallon sized ziplock bag with the markers. I can't remember if I stated landscape or Portrait. I just picked a picture from the bunch at Shutters that fit, ours was signed Portrait and we have a really nice family photo on the staircase from the dream that fit perfectly in there. I did draw a line in pencil around the mat and asked that they stay inside so we could see all the signatures in full view, without any if them being hidden behind the frame (cuz part of the mat is covered by the frame) and they did as asked!

This next cruise I think I'll do pillow cases for all the kids, and use an iron on photo or have one screen printed on them.

I am thinking of gifting 8x10 mats for 5x7 pics as part of my fe with maybe the name of our cruise on the bottom and some markers, would this be a good gift?

great idea for a fe gift but good luck getting it INTO the FE!!!!

lol, didn't think about that, was thinking I could deliver them first night, so they could be sent to get signed it is only 4 day cruise. I could just attach the ziplock bag to fe some how, hmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter