could packing a lunch be less hassle than a crowded QS?

I wouldn't want to carry a cooler, but then we don't have a stroller any more either to put it in.

I found the least hassle on a busy day was a lunch ADR at BOG (with food pre-prdered) and a TS ADR for dinner.

we are getting ready for our first summer trip to WDW. Even during non-peak times, the CS restaurants can be crowded. I am considering packing a lunch for the family and finding a quieter spot to relax and eat. We will have a stroller to store the cooler. Anyone do this a find it more enjoyable?

We did this once when the kids were small as a necessity. Honestly I would never do it again just to the complication it adds to your park time. If it's a financial decision, yes do so, if not then don't burden yourself with it.

I consider packing frozen PB&Js for the kids. I read it on another thread here and thought it was brilliant. She said she bought the items in the resort's "market", made them the night b4 & froze them. Thinking about trying it this week - m ore so for snacks for my kiddos. I am also bringing organic Cliff Kids bars (protein bars for the adults) and nuts and jerkey so we have some decent options.

We will probably try to head into an A/C'd CS for lunch though around 11 or 1...
Our resort fridge didn't have a freezer section.

we are getting ready for our first summer trip to WDW. Even during non-peak times, the CS restaurants can be crowded. I am considering packing a lunch for the family and finding a quieter spot to relax and eat. We will have a stroller to store the cooler. Anyone do this a find it more enjoyable?
Keep in mind, benches are few and far between. Finding a quiet, shaded spot will be darn near impossible. Don't take up tables in a CS place meant for paying customers.

JMHO - but I would not want to be eating lunch outside in the summer in FL. (Besides ice cream treats, of course) We even avoid CS places that aren't inside/ don't have AC when we travel in the summer. The heat and humidity just take away our appetites and we really need that AC environment to refresh and rejuvenate.

It depends on your touring style. We visit often and rotate between packing lunches and eating Disney food most trips. I do enjoy having meals packed for my little ones. When they are hungry they are hungry right then. I can give them a sandwich while they ride in the stroller to the next ride/land and they are happy, fed and we save time. We rarely pack two meals for a day however. We usually open and close a park so we have eaten everything in the stuffed cooler bag by about 2 or 3. We sometimes grab a side of fries or something similar to supplement our lunch.

Also, look at you CS/QS options. Some may be a little more practical and quick than you think. For my family (DH, me and DS with an occasional Mom, aka DGM now!) we will get baked potato from the potato cart in Liberty Square then clam chowder at Harbor House and go upstairs during off time for lunch. Mom usually gets the lobster rolls and I'll get salmon and DS gets whatever off our plates cause he's 3 and doesn't like to eat that much. Those potatoes are the best kept secret there is you need to eat something filling and nice.

So, we share a lot from the menus. Epcot we get food at Tangerine Cafe and split that up - and sit in that lovely breezy QS place. There are plenty of neat options (and healthy ones) if you plan on sharing and looking for snack places. Sort of like making a "Mickey Tapas" of meals. Although we do bring water bottles and snacks for little man. Remember to recycle those water bottles when you are done with them!

I've never had a real problem finding a table at CS places.

THIS. I actually clicked on this thread because I was curious what kind of hassles people were having with QS places. Ordinarily, we haven't had problems with crowded QS places, or not finding a table. The only exceptions I can think of are Sommerfest and Les Halles. But ultimately, we've always found a spot.

I see lots of good points here, for and against. When I reflect on our counter service meals from our March trip, they stick out as some of the more stressful moments of the trip. But that was mostly trying to weave in between crowded tables with heavily loaded trays while trying to help our disabled mom navigate her Cart.

But, I also don't want ham or tuna sandwiches on vacation either-too much like real life.

So, our plan for our next trip is a mix of Some days of TS ADRs, some eating CS at odd times and my personal favorite: "grazing" (stopping at food kiosks when the mood strikes us)

When I reflect on our counter service meals from our March trip, they stick out as some of the more stressful moments of the trip. But that was mostly trying to weave in between crowded tables with heavily loaded trays while trying to help our disabled mom navigate her Cart.
Interesting to note. We have not had trouble at QS, but we're 3 able bodied (at least for now!) people - no little ones, no grandparents, no wheel chairs or strollers. It probably makes things a good deal easier.

We've never had trouble with crowded QS restaurants. I've never waitied for more than 3 people ahead of me, with the exception of the Ice Cream Parlour an hour before wishes. Never had trouble getting a table, either. There have always been several to choose. And we go in June, so it is a crowded time of year.

I am firmly in the "there is no way in you-know-where I am going to brown bag lunches on my vacation" camp. That seems like work to me. I don't want to spend the time making them, I'd rather spend that time in a park. I don't want to make them the night before because to me, soggy premade sandwiches are among the yuckiest things in the world to eat. And I certainly don't want to carry them around, worry about the cold stuff staying cold, or find a place to eat them. Nope; not for us.

I think finding a place to sit, cool down and be refreshed will be your biggest problem. Which is of course the reason the counter service restaurants are so very, very busy in the summer. People go in for relief from the sun, and of course since the tables should be used for paying customers, one should not sit at the tables without buying a meal. Also WDW has removed a lot of sitting areas outside recently. I can't figure out that one. Anyway, if you do decide to tote a packed lunch, the only place I can think of to eat it in MK would be along the sidewalk of Main street U.S.A., but that isn't very private or relaxin We used to go along the wooden path by Rivers of America to eat our lunch, but the benches have been removed from there too.

Our resort fridge didn't have a freezer section.
We stayed at AoA in a suite, so we had a kitchenette. We did not have a freezer section. We did have a stroller and a soft sided cooler with water bottles. We used ice from the hotel ice machine and Ziplocs.This was much more cumbersome than if I could have frozen the water bottles themselves.

I can't imagine having to carry around a cooler with lunch and ice for 5 people on top of the waters we carried.

It depends on your touring style. We visit often and rotate between packing lunches and eating Disney food most trips. I do enjoy having meals packed for my little ones. When they are hungry they are hungry right then. I can give them a sandwich while they ride in the stroller to the next ride/land and they are happy, fed and we save time. We rarely pack two meals for a day however. We usually open and close a park so we have eaten everything in the stuffed cooler bag by about 2 or 3. We sometimes grab a side of fries or something similar to supplement our lunch.
This! My kids are always hungry when DH and I aren't (like 3 hours after a character breakfast). We always pack snacks, however, I feel I should be giving them a more balanced meal.

I wouldn't want to carry a cooler, but then we don't have a stroller any more either to put it in.

I found the least hassle on a busy day was a lunch ADR at BOG (with food pre-prdered) and a TS ADR for dinner.
We do this as well, but that only takes care of one day.

We stayed at AoA in a suite, so we had a kitchenette. We did not have a freezer section. We did have a stroller and a soft sided cooler with water bottles. We used ice from the hotel ice machine and Ziplocs.This was much more cumbersome than if I could have frozen the water bottles themselves.

I can't imagine having to carry around a cooler with lunch and ice for 5 people on top of the waters we carried.
I am bummed there is no freezer section to freeze water bottles too! I know you can get free water from CS, but in the heat I think it is important to have water on hand so we always carry some with us everywhere. We always end up buying more too because that FL tap water is especially bad.

I do enjoy having meals packed for my little ones. When they are hungry they are hungry right then. I can give them a sandwich while they ride in the stroller to the next ride/land and they are happy, fed and we save time. We rarely pack two meals for a day however. We usually open and close a park so we have eaten everything in the stuffed cooler bag by about 2 or 3. We sometimes grab a side of fries or something similar to supplement our lunch.

This! My kids are always hungry when DH and I aren't (like 3 hours after a character breakfast). We always pack snacks, however, I feel I should be giving them a more balanced meal.

Yep! It's easier to us to pack a lunch (the kids can even eat while riding in the stroller). We just try to buy 'special' snacks and things other times, but don't typically sit down for a meal.

THIS. I actually clicked on this thread because I was curious what kind of hassles people were having with QS places. Ordinarily, we haven't had problems with crowded QS places, or not finding a table. The only exceptions I can think of are Sommerfest and Les Halles. But ultimately, we've always found a spot.

Yep. The only times I have ever had trouble finding a table at one have been the times I have looked around and found multiple tables with people spreading their own picnic out with nary an item from the restaurant - or anywhere in Disney - among the spoils.

Pack a lunch if you want, but don't take up tables you are not paying for the privilege of using.

I don't mind brown bagging it. I rarely eat sandwiched and/or chips not real life, so it feels like vacation food to me lol. Too much restaurant food messes me up and I'm uncomfortable, so we try to balance,. Breakfast in room, lunch table service or brown bag, dinner counter service or brown bag. You can do a lot with brown bagging if you prep ahead. Bagged salad kits, lunchables for the kids, cold fresh fruit, deli style sandwiches, mac and cheese or soup in a thermos, sushi, there are lots of options. And it's so nice to have it decided upon and ready when you're hungry (or when your toddler is having a meltdown). No standing in line while DH debates all the options, and then decides on either the fried fish/shrimp or the chicken Nuggets , because that's what he always gets.

At MK we like the spot near rapunzel's tower, there are a couple short walls to sit on by stroller parking. At HS, we go to the back corner just before you gets to lights motor action and find a tree planter to lean on. We don't take food into AK, because there are so many rules. At epcot, basically anywhere in future world you can find a place to sit and eat. Stroller parking between wonders of life and the seas is a nice place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter