• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

could packing a lunch be less hassle than a crowded QS?

We also supplement our lunches. In December it was a bit chilly, so we got chili from CHH to go with our sandwiches

I've considered packing lunches but I'm the one that has to carry it. LOL I'd do it in a heartbeat if I still used a stroller though. For right now, I plan to carry food for DD only and it will simple things that need no refrigeration. She's super picky and I don't wish to try to find something she's willing to eat so I plan to always have something on had that she'll eat.

We're trying it for the first time in August. We're staying off-site so we'll have a full fridge. With the heat I think we'll eat lighter than usual anyway, and no lunchmeat for the adults (kids will probably have PB & nutella). We're also open to purchasing food at QS -- I'm fine with a mix. We've been eating better/cleaner since January and I like to have control over what we're eating on vacation.

We're planning mid-day breaks, too, so we might just eat at the condo. I'm trying not to be too strict with our food plans -- I save that for the Fast Passes :)

I tend to snack or hit up a CS, but I will be packing at least one meal this next trip. I'm doing the MNSSHP and I've heard that the CS are crowded during the party. I figure I'll eat a late lunch but since I plan to be in the park 4-12, I'll need something. I'm planning on a PB sandwich (no cold needed) to eat as I wait for the parade. (not usually a parade fan, but I'm going to watch this one) I'll just grab a curb and eat my sandwich and probably some chips and/or fruit. I will have some sort of backpack and I carry a refillable water bottle so not a ton of extra weight and saves me time.

When we went 4 yrs ago (Planning a trip for October). We had a 6 year old and a 1 year old. We carried a backpack that had a small insulated cooler on the bottom. We filled the cooler section with the portable yogurts...a lunchable...and those deli spirals. We ate those on the go most days. We stayed offsite at Bonnet Creek. We ate breakfast usually at the resort..and dinner as well most days.

Pack a lunch if you want, but don't take up tables you are not paying for the privilege of using.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with this. If it's a table service restaurant, then, yes, you're paying for the privilege of the table. That table is tied directly to someone's income (the server's). At a counter service location, however, that's not the case. Seats in public areas are for anyone who has paid their admission for that day. I can sit down, for example, at the seating area outside of Sunshine Seasons whether I've purchased food there or not. As a matter of courtesy, I probably wouldn't eat my food from home there at prime meal time, just to be nice. But there's no rule against it, as far as I know.

If we want to eliminate something that will open up seats, let's eliminate the poor little kids left to defend turf at tables for half an hour while their parents stand in line. Sit down when you get your food, and there will be room for everyone.

Zombie thread?

But - I'd pack lunch in a heartbeat if we weren't such a large group. I used to bring in homemade snacks (cookie bars, etc.) for my kids (we have food allergies) but I haven't in a while.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with this. If it's a table service restaurant, then, yes, you're paying for the privilege of the table. That table is tied directly to someone's income (the server's). At a counter service location, however, that's not the case. Seats in public areas are for anyone who has paid their admission for that day. I can sit down, for example, at the seating area outside of Sunshine Seasons whether I've purchased food there or not. As a matter of courtesy, I probably wouldn't eat my food from home there at prime meal time, just to be nice. But there's no rule against it, as far as I know.

If we want to eliminate something that will open up seats, let's eliminate the poor little kids left to defend turf at tables for half an hour while their parents stand in line. Sit down when you get your food, and there will be room for everyone.
During busy times, CMs will take over seating & won't allow anyone who hasn't purchased food to be in the seating area - and then only when they actually have said food. No "scouting." I've seen it most often at Cosmic Ray's.

This is likely one of those things that people on both sides have strong opinions about, but for me falls under the "if Disney doesn't care, then I don't particularly care either" umbrella. (I don't pack food.)

We always pack our lunch and bring it into the park. We have eaten at the gazebo on Tom Sawyer island in Mk several times and it is so nice and quiet! In Epcot and AK there are also several nice shady spots where we have eaten. It saves money and keeps us from getting burnt out on eating junk food the whole trip.

We are forced to bring some of our meals because the kids' food allergies limit our QS options pretty drastically. It has it's ups and downs but I don't find it drastically more convenient. Occasionally I pack something they can eat in the stroller so we sort of snack as we are walking or we'll eat at a show. At HS in particular we tend to eat lunch while watching Beauty and the Beast. No need to fight for a table anywhere that way. But you can do that if you bring your own or purchase a lunch there.

The one thing I will say is make sure you have a great cooler or pack things that don't need to be kept cold. In the FL heat it's not easy to keep things cold. We bought a pricier cooler to use and you can fill it with ice and it won't leak so we don't have to worry about ice packs. I balked at the price at first for the size we purchased but it really did work far better than the cheap versions we had before.

Kids and DH take packed lunches every day to school/work. On vacation we say no to packed lunches! Eating out is half the fun for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter