could packing a lunch be less hassle than a crowded QS?

Trip planner

Mouseketeer
we are getting ready for our first summer trip to WDW. Even during non-peak times, the CS restaurants can be crowded. I am considering packing a lunch for the family and finding a quieter spot to relax and eat. We will have a stroller to store the cooler. Anyone do this a find it more enjoyable?

I find it maybe slightly less of a hassle. We already pack a bag, but finding a comfortable, shady spot that's not near a smoking section is the harder part. Most always, the food is better tasting and definitely healthier when we pack.

We found that through a combination of snacking on stuff we brought from our hotel room (muffins and fruit for breakfast, goldfish crackers etc), and then buying a hot dog each and sharing some fries was enough for us. It saved time too since we would normally eat at off hours (around 11:30/11:45 or 1:30ish for lunch). However, we stay at Pop Century so not much choice in the way of packing a lunch. If I had a condo or full size fridge I would be more than happy to pack sandwiches, etc to take to the park!

we packed lunches for our last trip and it did seem to save time. It certainly saved money. The only thing is don't bring your packed lunches into CS restaurants to eat. Disney doesn't like it and people will give you dirty looks, especially at a busy time of year.

I am a HUGE proponent of packing lunches to bring to the parks. We don't do it to save money (although I'm sure it does save money), we just personally find it to be more enjoyable. I have a soft cooler with a long strap that I put over the stroller handle. For us, it is much easier to whip out the cooler when we're hungry rather than selecting a CS, waiting in line, etc. We've really never had a problem finding places to eat. A couple suggestions, in DHS there are tables with umbrellas next to the lake across from 50s Prime Time. In Epcot we like the little tables in the France pavilion by the ice cream shop. One time we got stuck in a downpour at MK and were able to pull out our lunch while waiting out the storm under the overhang next to Peter Pan. Good luck!

Not for us - we did this when we had to, but it was more work. Because of the heat it limited what we could pack, and we had to rent a locker and go back to the locker then find someplace to eat. Way more work and time for us.

Not for us - we did this when we had to, but it was more work. Because of the heat it limited what we could pack, and we had to rent a locker and go back to the locker then find someplace to eat. Way more work and time for us.

We had a great cooler backpack, that we could store our cold foods in and carry around the park with us. It was heavy (I was the carrier of this load all day so I can attest to that) but not that bad. It helped that we could stow it in our stroller when we went on rides. If you do not have a stroller or someone willing to watch it for you then you would have to bring it on rides with you.

But, it's only a problem until you eat your lunch. Then the backpack is empty and easy to deal with.

We are minimalists when touring, so would never have considered something like that, but we see people carrying everything but the kitchen sink through the parks.

I will be testing this for the first time on our next trip. I'm hoping it will save time, money and also be healthier. However, this is also our first trip without a stroller, so I am worried about the logistics of carrying around the lunch - well, that would be DH's job as BOB (Beast of Burden).

We have been packing water for a while now because we're brand specific. I find eating at disney way more enjoyable than a packed sammie. Magic Kingdom and HS would be the best choices if you wanna pack imho. They both have good snacks but qs food is so so imho.

I will be testing this for the first time on our next trip. I'm hoping it will save time, money and also be healthier. However, this is also our first trip without a stroller, so I am worried about the logistics of carrying around the lunch - well, that would be DH's job as BOB (Beast of Burden).

I will say that if I didn't have a stroller, I probably wouldn't back anything besides what could go in my purse (snacks). I hate toting heavy weight all over, especially if we're going on an especially hot day.

I consider packing frozen PB&Js for the kids. I read it on another thread here and thought it was brilliant. She said she bought the items in the resort's "market", made them the night b4 & froze them. Thinking about trying it this week - m ore so for snacks for my kiddos. I am also bringing organic Cliff Kids bars (protein bars for the adults) and nuts and jerkey so we have some decent options.

We will probably try to head into an A/C'd CS for lunch though around 11 or 1...

I've never actually packed a lunch. DS has severe food allergies, so I've brought a few snacks with us, but Disney has been great with the allergy issue.
Even during very busy times, Disney is good about moving the crowds. I've never had a real problem finding a table at CS places.
No way would I schlep a cooler around just to save time on lunch. It's vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter