City, Sand, and Savanna - Link to new trip report

Wow, I get way too much credit around here it seems. :confused3 I appreciate the compliment that you think I have some powerful DIS computer skills to set your thread a special way, but I have to admit it just boils down to dumb luck! :blush: (okay Rosie, there's your chance)

If I happen to have some time available to spend on the DIS, even when I am doing other things on the internet I will occasionally come back to the DIS and check to see if anyone has posted anything new I want to comment on or just read. I do that by using the User CP link. If you haven't done an update in a while, and you start posting replies I get a little suspicious there might be an update coming. Sometimes you hint at it with your replies to people like Rosie who ask.

The latest contest I kept seeing the same two threads pop up and then all of a sudden yours showed up with you posting, so I checked it out. Two contests ago I wasn't on the DIS at all, so you posted an update, people guessed the Judy's, you posted the results and I never even put in a guess because I had no clue you had updated until too late. Some of my earlier wins I was late to the party but nobody had gotten all the Judy's yet and I was able to swoop in late and still get the correct answer in first. :)

Like I said, all dumb luck......no stalking, no special monitoring or surveillance! :sad2: Further proof that sometimes it IS better to be lucky than good!! :thumbsup2
Ask and you shall receive !!!:rotfl2:I left myself open and so far you haven't commented unless my CP link isn't working which is a possibility or I just con't know where it is !!! I simply bug Glenn for an update , telling him when to do it and does he listen NO:confused3:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I guess it depends on how you look at it...Mark (Capt. Oblivious) thought it looked pretty pricey for just some tea and little sandwiches. :laughing: For the location and ambience, I think it's not too bad of a splurge. I think it was worth it for the memories they made.

Like I said, I'm not the target audience here. If I spend $23 for food, I don't want to be searching for another meal 2 hours later. :)

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "always test an app when death is on the line"!

:rotfl: Inconceivable!

I don't know a single thing about photography or what flish flash to use LOL that's the technical term by the way,all i know is that there are some pretty good shots there Glen...nice work!!!

I know why Marv never does his own updates .. He spends 231/2 hours a day waiting to find Judy's !!! The have hour is a State Law he has to have a meal break !!!:rotfl2:
You forgot the two additional 15 minute potty breaks......... :rolleyes:

People have grown Old waiting for that!!!:rotfl2:( Left myself open )
Rosie, you grew old waiting for "writing" to be invented!!! :rolleyes1

(ask and ye shall receive) ;)

I am telling you Marv just waits and then pounces, me on the other hand am busy messing up Glenn's page count:rotfl2: so I miss the update.
I did hear they were auctioning off Marv's last update as an antique writing !!!:rotfl2:
Where do you think the money comes from to take future Disney trips??? :goodvibes

Thanks Sara. Taking pictures of the giraffes was pretty cool because you couldn't see them very well without the night-vision goggles...you could tell they were there, and that was about it. But it shows how still they were being, since the shutter was open for so long and there's not very much blur. :teleport:
I meant to mention how still the giraffes had to be for your pictures to come out so clearly. Imagine how hard it must be to keep your head completely still with a neck that long......... :rotfl2:

Looks like it will be hard to catch Marv, but being next in line I guess I will be the one to do it!!! :scratchin
Now THERE'S wishful thinking if I ever heard it.......... :)

Ask and you shall receive !!!:rotfl2:I left myself open and so far you haven't commented unless my CP link isn't working which is a possibility or I just con't know where it is !!! I simply bug Glenn for an update, telling him when to do it and does he listen NO:confused3:rotfl2:
See above.......you received!!! :lmao:

Actually you and Pat probably help me out the most. You two mention waiting for an update and Glenn gives his little hints one may be coming, so I start watching a little closer........ :surfweb: :magnify:

Like I said, I'm not the target audience here. If I spend $23 for food, I don't want to be searching for another meal 2 hours later. :)
So you're saying you don't eat much Chinese food??? :confused3

You forgot the two additional 15 minute potty breaks......... :rolleyes:

2 x 15 does make a half hour cheeky monkey:rotfl2:

Rosie, you grew old waiting for "writing" to be invented!!! :rolleyes1

(ask and ye shall receive) ;)

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Where do you think the money comes from to take future Disney trips??? :goodvibes

The sale of ancient documents as in your updates:lmao:

I meant to mention how still the giraffes had to be for your pictures to come out so clearly. Imagine how hard it must be to keep your head completely still with a neck that long......... :rotfl2:

Now THERE'S wishful thinking if I ever heard it.......... :)

See above.......you received!!! :lmao:

Actually you and Pat probably help me out the most. You two mention waiting for an update and Glenn gives his little hints one may be coming, so I start watching a little closer........ :surfweb: :magnify:

Pat are we really helping Marv??????:(:sad::rotfl:

So you're saying you don't eat much Chinese food??? :confused3

I right now wish I hadn't:scared::scared:

I'm so glad the ladies enjoyed their tea! The GF is such a beautiful resort, and I think the tea is such a fun "different" thing to do!

Also, I LOVE your night photos! What wonderful views of the animals and fantastic photos of the resort itself! They really highlight the beauty of the AKV. :thumbsup2

When you have a 14 hour work day - I can now officially say I am all caught up pn the DIS. :thumbsup2

That's great! It's something that I can't say -- I'm behind on every thread I'm following, and this one as well. Maybe I can get caught up on replies today.

Looks like it will be hard to catch Marv, but being next in line I guess I will be the one to do it!!! :scratchin

We're counting on you. :laughing:

Hey, I am good at wandering around..... :) Looking for something to photograph in Disney? Also pretty easy. :):)

Sounds like you're halfway there.

I have done some playing around with the shutter speed while waiting for FOLK and fireworks. Trying to get that shot and have it look great takes some practice.... and sometimes in my case a bit of luck. ;)

FOLK is tough though because of all of the movement. Slow it down too much and you just get a blur.

Luck is definitely a factor. But a shot not taken is a shot not scored. Or something like that.

Love the latest update. Nice pictures of the resort

Hey, thanks GoofyFan1515! And I do believe this is your first post here, so :welcome:!!!

Awwwhhhhhhhh!!! Those giraffes are so adorable! Just hanging out... having some 'resort time' after a hard day at the parks.

Yes, one of them was complaining about a single-rider that joined them on Expedition Everest. ;) :rotfl2:

You got some really good shots!! :thumbsup2

I really like the photo of the fire - 1 second with flash and the one with the ghost people outside.

Thanks Sally, I'm glad you liked them.

Sounds like a fun night! I love just fiddling around with exposure on the same shot. I need a LOT more practice though :rotfl:

Trial-and-error, but fun stuff!

Wow, I get way too much credit around here it seems. :confused3 I appreciate the compliment that you think I have some powerful DIS computer skills to set your thread a special way, but I have to admit it just boils down to dumb luck! :blush: (okay Rosie, there's your chance)

If I happen to have some time available to spend on the DIS, even when I am doing other things on the internet I will occasionally come back to the DIS and check to see if anyone has posted anything new I want to comment on or just read. I do that by using the User CP link. If you haven't done an update in a while, and you start posting replies I get a little suspicious there might be an update coming. Sometimes you hint at it with your replies to people like Rosie who ask.

The latest contest I kept seeing the same two threads pop up and then all of a sudden yours showed up with you posting, so I checked it out. Two contests ago I wasn't on the DIS at all, so you posted an update, people guessed the Judy's, you posted the results and I never even put in a guess because I had no clue you had updated until too late. Some of my earlier wins I was late to the party but nobody had gotten all the Judy's yet and I was able to swoop in late and still get the correct answer in first. :)

Like I said, all dumb luck......no stalking, no special monitoring or surveillance! :sad2: Further proof that sometimes it IS better to be lucky than good!! :thumbsup2

What I was getting at was that you can set a thread subscription to give you an e-mail notification if there's an update. I suspected that maybe you turned that feature on when you thought that I was "due" for an update...that would save you from the "occasionally coming back to the DIS and checking" step. I'm not sure how timely the e-mails are though.

You got some great night shots! That's funny that the little boy thought you were crazy :rotfl2:

I felt like giving him a W.C. Fields "go away son, ya bother me" but I'm sure my fire-picture-taking looked mighty strange, so I can't blame him for being curious.

Awesome pictures!!!

Thanks Andy!

I love how you did so many trial and error shots to get the result you were looking for. If I had a camera with that I could adjust all those settings on, I'd probably be afraid to mess with it out of fear of screwing it up. :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Oh, you can't mess anything up. It's all digital, so if it's reaaaly bad, you just delete it.

I really loved how you were able to get those shots of the giraffes to come out so well lit after dark.

It was pretty cool to see how clearly I could see them on the back of the camera after taking the picture, in comparison to what was in front of me, which was just some dark shadows (with apparently tall necks).

I simply bug Glenn for an update , telling him when to do it and does he listen NO:confused3:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I can't be bought. (But I can be rented cheap.)

Just realised I screwed up Glenn's Page count again:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Just for that -- no update this afternoon! :mad:

(As if I had one ready.)

I understand, I don't think I'm the target audience either. And Disney is okay with that. :laughing:

:rotfl: Inconceivable!

+1 :thumbsup2

I don't know a single thing about photography or what flish flash to use LOL that's the technical term by the way,all i know is that there are some pretty good shots there Glen...nice work!!!

Thanks for clearing up the technical terminology for me :laughing: and thanks for the compliment, I'm glad that you liked them. :goodvibes

You'd think there'd be some swaying up there in the higher altitudes.

I do. I figure if anyone is readng that closely, they might as well be rewarded with a hint of an impending update.

I right now wish I hadn't:scared::scared:

Attack of the MSG?

I'm so glad the ladies enjoyed their tea! The GF is such a beautiful resort, and I think the tea is such a fun "different" thing to do!

Yes, I think it was a good choice...something "different" and met all of the different speeds of the multi-generational people involved, which is not something that going to the parks can do.

Also, I LOVE your night photos! What wonderful views of the animals and fantastic photos of the resort itself! They really highlight the beauty of the AKV. :thumbsup2

Thank you SimplyGoofy! It really is a beautiful resort, I wish I was there right now!

We're counting on you. :laughing:
Hey, I thought I was your favorite??? :mad: Rosie said so......... :rotfl2:

What I was getting at was that you can set a thread subscription to give you an e-mail notification if there's an update. I suspected that maybe you turned that feature on when you thought that I was "due" for an update...that would save you from the "occasionally coming back to the DIS and checking" step. I'm not sure how timely the e-mails are though.
Actually, I probably check my email less often than the DIS, so THAT wouldn't help......... :rotfl: Thankfully I learned early on you can turn those email notifications off! With some of the threads I was following back then (yours, Liesa's, hucifer's....... - BTW, seen her lately???) I decided I better not keep that active or I would be spending half my life just deleting emails! :scared1:

Besides, I have plenty of time to check back in frequently while I am working on all of my own TR updates............. :rolleyes1

I can't be bought. (But I can be rented cheap.)
I don't think I would have said THAT!!! :eek:

Just for that -- no update this afternoon! :mad:

(As if I had one ready.)
You sure about that??? You aren't just trying to throw me off so somebody else can win the next round of Judy-do are you??? I mean, you are pushing this TR awfully close to the top of a new page.......... :scratchin

I do. I figure if anyone is readng that closely, they might as well be rewarded with a hint of an impending update.
Definitely gets my attention!!! :woohoo:

Okay, there's my contribution to helping you get to the next page......... ;)

Only five more posts and you're there!!!

Sounds like you're halfway there.

I thik I have a tripod or that was the one that disappeared at work,.,,, I have a monopod ... need to go look I guess. :confused3

FOLK is tough though because of all of the movement. Slow it down too much and you just get a blur.

Luck is definitely a factor. But a shot not taken is a shot not scored. Or something like that.

I found out the sports setting actually helped a little. I need to check those shots from Jan to the ones when I used the TV ( shutter speed ) setting.
See if I had better luck.

Hey, thanks GoofyFan1515! And I do believe this is your first post here, so :welcome:!!!

:wave:

The emails lag a few minutes- :rolleyes1 hence the bridesmaid. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Oh, you can't mess anything up. It's all digital, so if it's reaaaly bad, you just delete it.

Take way more now since thy are "free" :)

Actually, I probably check my email less often than the DIS, so THAT wouldn't help......... :rotfl: Thankfully I learned early on you can turn those email notifications off! With some of the threads I was following back then (yours, Liesa's, hucifer's....... - BTW, seen her lately???) I decided I better not keep that active or I would be spending half my life just deleting emails! :scared1:

I spend way too much time deleting emails.... :rolleyes1

Besides, I have plenty of time to check back in frequently while I am working on all of my own TR updates............. :rolleyes1

So... you stalk :tiptoe:

You sure about that??? You aren't just trying to throw me off so somebody else can win the next round of Judy-do are you??? I mean, you are pushing this TR awfully close to the top of a new page.......... :scratchin

Watching always watching

Okay, there's my contribution to helping you get to the next page......... ;)

Only five more posts and you're there!!!

Make that four. :)

How about 3 !!!! I am watching closely, but Glenn will wait till I fal asleep from sheer exhaustion, just take pity of this poor sweet little ol' lady who so needs another point ( is that enought to rent ya Glenn):rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I know it's getting deep around here !!!:lmao:

I thought about doing it for Capt. Oblivious' contest and that's exactly where I came out....the e-mail method wouldn't cut it.

I did say none this afternoon. :rolleyes:

I thik I have a tripod or that was the one that disappeared at work,.,,, I have a monopod ... need to go look I guess. :confused3

A monopod only helps a little bit. For night stuff, you need a tripod.

I found out the sports setting actually helped a little. I need to check those shots from Jan to the ones when I used the TV ( shutter speed ) setting.

That's TV as in "Time Value", not :happytv:

The emails lag a few minutes- :rolleyes1 hence the bridesmaid. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Ahh, so you've tried it.

How about 3 !!!! I am watching closely, but Glenn will wait till I fal asleep from sheer exhaustion, just take pity of this poor sweet little ol' lady who so needs another point ( is that enought to rent ya Glenn):rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I know it's getting deep around here !!!:lmao:

Hmmm, looks like the gang's all here!

Back in the fall, a friend of mine contacted me, asking for some advice for his family’s first trip to DisneyWorld. He grew up in Washington state, worked with me here on the east coast about 20 years ago, and then moved back to Seattle but we’ve stayed in touch. They have two pre-teen kids, a daughter and a son, and his mother-in-law also tagged-along for the trip. Originally, they were planning to visit DisneyWorld between Christmas and New Year’s, but when I found out they had vacation days that extended beyond New Year’s, I advised them to shift their visit as late as possible in order to avoid the crowds and to get cheaper room rates. They followed my advice and moved their visit to New Years Day through January 4th. They also took my advice and stayed at my favorite moderate resort, Port Orleans Riverside. He was wondering about planning some time off-property, but I reassured him that there was plenty to do, plenty of restaurants to try, and to just enjoy being in the “Disney bubble” for a while. I also sent him some links to help with his planning, and explained fastpass, photopass, and some of the popular attractions that everyone will be running for at rope drop at the various parks.

During their visit, I got a few texts from him here and there, and it sounded like they were having a great time. I’d hoped that I’d get more of an update after they returned home, and a couple of weeks ago he sent me the write-up that I’m sharing below. I thought that you folks might like to read the perspective of a first-time visitor and so I asked him if it’d be okay if I shared it on my trip report thread. He graciously consented. I’ve changed the names to read “Dad”, “Mom”, “Daughter”, “Son”, and “Granny” to keep them anonymous. I'll turn the rest of this post over to my friend. Enjoy!

Travel Journal - Holidays 2012/2013

Vacation: Disneyworld, USA
Vacation Dates: January 1 – January 4, 2013
Travel Day: Tuesday
Date: January 1, 2013 (Day 1)
Destination: Magic Kingdom
Purpose: As they say, “Let the Memories Begin”
Mode of Transportation: Shuttle bus
Temperature: Mild, low 60’s
Participants: Dad, Mom, Daughter, Son and Granny
Favorite Rides/Memory: For Daughter, it was the Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mtn. RR
Favorite Saying: “I have never seen so many strollers in my entire life.”
Best T-shirt: ‘Don’t Bro me If you don’t Know me!’
Memorable Food Experience: The Dole Whip Floats at Aloha Isle in Adventureland (special thanks to Glennbo123)
Issues Encountered: It was crowded on New Year’s day. There were long lines for just about everything.

Journal Entry:
Originally, we planned to leave early, drive down from Brunswick on the 1st and spend the rest of the day in the park. It wasn’t until we arrived in Georgia that we realized exactly how much time it was going to take to get to Orlando. With nothing holding us back (like New Year’s Eve parties), we decided to change plans and drive down on Monday (Dec. 31) instead. This allowed us to get an earlier start on Jan 1 and spend the whole day at the park. We stored our bags and checked in at the Port Orleans Riverside (POR) around 9:30am. It wasn’t the early start I was hoping for, but by this point everybody in the family was either developing a cold or fighting one off.
Our shuttle bus took about 10-15 minutes to reach the Magic Kingdom. My initial impression was one of horror. What are all these people doing here? Is it always this crowded? Why is everyone in such a good mood? It was at this point I remembered “The Bubble.” I tried to relax.
We enjoyed Main Street, USA and then walked toward Frontierland. The standby line for Splash Mountain was already too long. I didn’t want to get soaked right away, so that was okay. We intended to return later, but I forget why we didn’t get a fastpass. We rode Big Thunder Mtn. RR and then went through the Haunted Mansion. Next, we did Peter Pan’s Flight. Mom and Son decided to do The Barnstormer. Daughter, Granny and I felt the line wasn’t moving fast enough so we opted for a train ride (WDW Railroad) around the park.
Lunch time; we ate at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe. The food was not memorable, but did the trick. We got a fastpass for Space Mountain and then joined the line at Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor. Afterwards we saw a musical near Cinderella Castle and caught part of the afternoon parade. Next, we made our way to Adventureland for Pirates of the Caribbean. Daughter met the fairies at Tinker Bells’ Magical Nook. While waiting outside, we took the opportunity to try the delicious Dole Whip Floats at Aloha Isle.
At this point in the day I was tired and beginning to develop a headache. Before we could go home, though, we still had Space Mountain. Son requested the front seat in our car, but changed his mind at the last second. I had no choice but to switch with him. The ride was fun for about ten seconds. After that I thought I was going to die. I was 100% convinced the car was going to run off the rails. I put both arms in front of my face to protect myself. This caused me to get bounced around and I began to feel nauseous. Once the ride ended I went straight to a bench, closed my eyes and put my head in my hands. Mom told Daughter to sit with me until I was ready to walk again. She rubbed my leg and kept asking me if I was going to be okay. I just told her I wasn’t sure. After 15 minutes I was able to go outside and get some fresh air.
Son got his picture taken with Buzz Lightyear. The rest of the family went for dinner back at the resort. I went to bed early.

Travel Day: Wednesday
Date: January 2, 2013 (Day 2)
Destination: Epcot
Purpose: To ”Discover the Wonder”
Temperature: Warm, low 70’s
Favorite Rides/Memory: The fireworks and light show at Epcot with Daughter.
Favorite Saying: “I need to go throw-up.”
Best T-shirt: The one with a picture of Karl Pilkington’s face. (If you don’t know who Karl Pilkington is, then I can’t help you)
Memorable Food Experience: Lunch at Tutto Italia Ristorante in the Italy World Showcase
Issues Encountered: If we had it to do all over again, I think we’d avoid Mission Space first thing in the morning.

Journal Entry:
Day 2 was set aside for Epcot. Once we heard about the new Disney Phineas & Ferb: Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure we had a pretty good idea what we’d be doing. First though, the kids chose to start the day with Mission Space. There were two options for the ride: extreme (orange) and relaxed (yellow). Son told the attendant we wanted the orange line. Big mistake. Just as we were about to enter the capsule I had second thoughts and backed out. I went outside to sit down with Granny. About 30 minutes later our three astronauts came dragging out. They looked like zombies and complained about nausea. Mom took it the worst. She tried to tough it out but didn’t feel any better until after she heaved in the women’s restroom. Score one for Dad.
With the help of plenty of water and beautiful sunshine, we were able to re-group. The kids chose to begin their Phineas & Ferb adventure in Norway. This interactive game was well designed and kept the kids busy, running about hunting for clues. While there we rode the Maelstrom Viking Boat Voyage. By lunchtime we were nowhere near Canada (no Le Cellier Steakhouse for me) but had made it far enough around the lagoon to enjoy an Italian meal. We were able to get a table right away at Tutto Italia Ristorante. Both the food and service were terrific. By coincidence, one of our servers was from Cagliari, Italy on the island of Sardinia. She was pleased to learn we had visited her hometown while on a trip to Italy last summer.
We used fastpasses for Soarin’ after lunch. Next, Son and Daughter completed the Phineas & Ferb adventure in both France and the UK. We stopped for ice cream in France and then Daughter took a photo with Belle. We went back to the resort in the early evening. The kids had time for a quick swim in the pool before dinner.
Mom, Granny and Son decided to stay home for the night. Daughter and I took the shuttle back to Epcot for dinner and fireworks. We chose Sommerfest in Germany for bratwurst and apple strudel. At around 10pm they began dimming the lamps and lighting the torches. The fireworks and light show was truly a highlight; made more memorable with the opportunity to spend it with my daughter. We both agreed it was one of the best shows we had ever seen.

Travel Day: Thursday
Date: January 3, 2013 (Day 3)
Destination: Hollywood Studios
Purpose: To see ”Where Action Takes Center Stage”
Temperature: Chilly, with some rain
Favorite Rides/Memory: A tie between Toy Story Midway Mania and Tower of Terror.
Favorite Saying: “Who decided that turkey legs are the definitive American food?”
Best T-shirt: Definitely NOT the guy in a Portland Timbers jersey. Loser!
Memorable Food Experience: The burger for lunch at Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater along Commissary Lane. Also, the chocolate dipped pineapple spears from the sweet shop along Sunset Blvd.
Issues Encountered: I am now officially done with shuttle buses.

Journal Entry:
Hollywood Studios was on the schedule for Day 3. We were prepared to get to the park when it opened, but had transportation issues. Actually, the shuttle bus got stuck in traffic. This was hard for us to understand, even harder after 20 min. sitting in traffic. Why are we competing for space on the road with yahoos driving in for the day? I paid to stay on the property; with the assumption that Disney would be able to transport me to the park in a reasonable amount of time. This is not reasonable. The bus driver did the best she could, but it still confuses me why there are no dedicated lanes for shuttle buses. Hell, we’ve got bike lanes coming out the wazoo here in Seattle, and they don’t even pay for them. I’m not going to stand for this. Next time, to avoid this situation all together I will pay even more money to stay at a resort on Disney’s monorail. That’ll show’em.
We started the day with Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular. The show was such a hit that we quickly moved on to Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show. Next, it was Honey I Shrunk the Kids. The lunch crowd outside Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant seemed pretty large. I wasn’t sure we would be able to get a table, but we put our name in anyway. That was a good decision. After 15 min. we were led into a dark, cavernous room with a full size movie screen. We dined at a table instead of a “car”. Everyone enjoyed their food especially the ice cream shakes.
We caught a musical performance near Mickey’s giant hat and then did The Great Movie Ride. Next on the list was the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. We were pacing ourselves at this point, getting ready to use our fastpasses at Tower of Terror and Toy Story Midway Mania. Mom, who had not fully recovered from her trip to the moon elected to skip the Tower of Terror. The kids and I couldn’t wait to get inside. Of all the rides so far, I could see doing this one over and over. What a thrill.
We made our way over to Sunset Blvd where we discovered the pleasures of chocolate dipped pineapple spears. Of course, the dipped strawberries were delicious too. We found an empty bench along the street and gorged ourselves on chocolate and fruit. I noticed the trash cans at Disney never seem to get full. Do they have false bottoms?
The day only got better with Toy Story Midway Mania. What a great ride. I partnered with Son and was determined to get more points than him. In the end, I won, but it was close. I was pretty happy with myself; there are few things left that I can still beat him at – and he’s only nine.
The kids and I returned to the Magic Kingdom that night for dinner and the “nighttime spectacular”. Daughter said she liked the fireworks more at Epcot, but really enjoyed seeing the castle change colors. I will remember seeing the skies light up, but also the obnoxious Asian woman next to me with no concept of personal space.

Travel Day: Friday
Date: January 4, 2013 (Day 4)
Destination: Magic Kingdom & Downtown Disney
Purpose: More Memories
Temperature: Mild, low 60’s
Participants: Dad, Daughter, and Son
Favorite Rides/Memory: We loved Tom Sawyer Island. Visiting Downtown Disney was pretty cool too.
Favorite Saying: “Stay to your right, please. Stay to your right!”
Best T-shirt: ‘SEC – Real Football, Real Girlfriends!’
Memorable Food Experience: The cupcakes we had with lunch at Be Our Guest Restaurant in Fantasyland. Also, the yellowtail snapper at Fulton’s Crab House in Downtown Disney.
Issues Encountered: None really, although Daughter wasn’t too excited about riding the Tea Cups by herself. (After all we’ve been through can you blame us?)

Journal Entry:
Both Mom and Granny were still under the weather on Friday morning. This meant they were unable to join us for the return leg to The Magic Kingdom. Daughter and Son both made it clear they wanted to ride Splash Mountain. Unfortunately, when we got there we learned that it had been closed for repairs. Doh! Instead, we rode It’s a Small World, but that didn’t seem to soothe the pain. I could only do one thing; join the queue at the new Be Our Guest Restaurant. Sure, it was only 11:00 and the line was already miles long, but Daughter said this was what she wanted so rather than risk disappointment again, we jumped in line.
I have to hand it to the girl on this one. The line moved fairly quickly and before long we made our way into the castle. The interior was over the top. We loved the whispering knights and the large dining room was amazing. Ordering our meal proved both challenging and fun; we messed up the first time trying to enter our order on the touch screen, but eventually figured it out. Our sandwiches were adequate, but the cupcakes we shared for dessert stole the show. After lunch Daughter did the Teacups and Ariel’s Grotto.
We spent a good deal of time on Tom Sawyer Island as well as climbing the Swiss Family Treehouse. Our guide on the Jungle Cruise kept us laughing the whole time. We stopped for more chocolate dipped pineapple spears along Main Street USA. Typically, Son needs to use the restroom about once every hour. He’s strange that way, but at Disney it wasn’t as much of a burden. They’re so clean I felt unusually comfortable visiting the restrooms with him. This is completely opposite to the situation at the SBUX in Brunswick, GA where I told him, “Don’t go in there.”
Daughter and I were ready for more adventure, so we dropped Son at the resort and went to Downtown Disney for the evening. This time we took the boat along the canal from our resort. We had a terrific meal at Fulton’s Crab House, including oysters, lobster bisque and a super fresh yellowtail snapper. For dessert we went to Ghirardelli’s. We enjoyed walking and browsing with all the other people out on a Friday night. By the end of the night we had made it from one end of DTD to the other and back.
Later, when we returned to the resort we were able to catch about ten minutes of Yeehaa Bob’s show in the River Roost Lounge. I’m sad we couldn’t see more, but this and Splash Mountain will just have to wait until next time.

Additional Notes (after Glennbo's follow-up questions, "did the crowds improve throughout the week", and "would they like to go back"?): New Year's Day was very crowded, overwhelming even. It took us by surprise. In retrospect it probably shouldn't have, but I guess you could say we were a bit mentally unprepared. We did not envision waves of people and standing room only conditions. I think part of the issue was that we had just come from Brunswick where things were sooo quiet. We stayed near downtown and were able to walk everywhere, including to an aunt's house, without seeing a whole lot of people. Sometimes we did the walk (about one mile) down the middle of the street. We always had a ball with us and would play soccer or volleyball down the middle of the street as we walked across town. One night after dinner at a Thai place on the main road through downtown Daughter and I practiced her volleyball in the middle of the road under a street light for half an hour. We only had to move a few times for cars. It was like heaven for a family from Seattle.

Crowd-wise it got progressively better as the week went along. By Friday, back at Magic Kingdom, we noticed a marked difference. We could get around much easier.

We would definitely like to go back. After doing something/anything once we're the types who think, "we can do that better the next time." It's a character flaw. I think we'd like to try and get into Orlando directly and make it our only stop. Ideally, we'd love to carve out some time when everybody else's kids are in school. Also, it will have to be after they get a Starbucks. It was driving me crazy that so many other big brands had a presence at Disney, but not SBUX. I did a little investigating and learned the situation should be resolved soon, with a nice new SBUX store at Downtown Disney. I'm sure the lines there won't be an issue!

Link to next chapter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter