Castaway Cay 5K First Timer Support Thread

God I miss running. First cruise I brought my shoes but we were having such a great time as a family I skipped it. Second (and techically third cruise since it was B2B) I had broken my foot twice in the 7 months leading up to the cruise (dumb luck - same foot different bones). I have had two major abdominal surgeries this year and haven't run since last Dec. Chance of doing CC 5k in March - zero. Seems like a pretty good reason to book another cruise however.

Want to do the CC5K but am having trouble running down information . . . is the run available on every cruise? Do you pre-register or do you sign up on board? I'm doing the 7-day E. Carribean itinerary in January and this run is a *huge* motivator for me . . I may cry if it's unavailable!!:sad:

Hopkins521 said:
Want to do the CC5K but am having trouble running down information . . . is the run available on every cruise? Do you pre-register or do you sign up on board? I'm doing the 7-day E. Carribean itinerary in January and this run is a *huge* motivator for me . . I may cry if it's unavailable!!:sad:

From what I know, any cruise that stops there has it. No need to sign up. Check the navigator. It tells you time/place to meet and everyone goes together. Good luck!

Will the 5k go on rain or shine? There's a 40% chance of rain the day before we are there. :-/

I just found out about the cc 5k and I am soooo excited. I did the wine and dine half in november as a "bucket list" girls trip with friends.I needed a huge carrot to dangle to commit to thirteen miles- and it was so worth it. Highly recommend that run. coming back, I told eveyone back home that running a disney race had spoiled me, thirteen miles had broken me (just a little), and I wasn't sure when I'd run another race.
I now have an answer to that question: castaway cay on my 1/19/13 cruise! Motivation to figure out what's going on with my hip, hit the treadmill, and retool for this trip. A new year's resolution boost and a great reward.

I would LOVE to hear from someone who's done it what the childcare situation is- I'd like to talk DH into running it with me (since he's been picking up on childcare for all my training this fall and hasn't been able to run with me yet).But that'll only work if CC kidcare is open for out 2 and 4yo girls.

Any thoughts??

Well I just ran it last Friday. Goal accomplished. Here are some pics. You can also check my blog to read how I did on the race afatrunner.blogspot.com

The ship arriving at Castaway Cay...
2012-11-30084738.jpg

We were told to be at The Tube at 9:15am. There we signed up and were given our bibs. We were the first group to be allowed off the ship.

2012-11-30092812.jpg

From there we walked to the starting line. We were shown the route on the map and we were on our way!

2012-11-30095744.jpg

I don't have pics of the race for obvious reasons. But here is the medal they gave me and the shirt I bought,

2012-12-03190550.jpg

2012-12-03190757.jpg

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. :cool1:

We were told to be at The Tube at 9:15am. There we signed up and were given our bibs. We were the first group to be allowed off the ship.

2012-11-30092812.jpg

You see those 2 Asians in the far left of this photo? (Man wearing the white shirt and woman wearing the white headband) That's me and my hubby!!

I also ran on the same day obviously. My first race ever and I finished it before the CM's left!! :woohoo:

You see those 2 Asians in the far left of this photo? (Man wearing the white shirt and woman wearing the white headband) That's me and my hubby!!

I also ran on the same day obviously. My first race ever and I finished it before the CM's left!! :woohoo:

Rebecca Low? Hey a fellow Pachyderm! I don't know if you remember but Trent and I congratulated you at the end. Like you, I wanted to finish before the CM's left. I finished 2 minutes behind you.

Rebecca Low? Hey a fellow Pachyderm! I don't know if you remember but Trent and I congratulated you at the end. Like you, I wanted to finish before the CM's left. I finished 2 minutes behind you.

Yes! Omg, Frank, I didn't even know your dis name! Lol. Yes, it was good to see you both at the race! Yay for us for achieving our goals!

Well I just ran it last Friday. Goal accomplished. Here are some pics. You can also check my blog to read how I did on the race afatrunner.blogspot.com

The ship arriving at Castaway Cay...
2012-11-30084738.jpg

2012-11-30092812.jpg

From there we walked to the starting line. We were shown the route on the map and we were on our way!

2012-11-30095744.jpg

I don't have pics of the race for obvious reasons. But here is the medal they gave me and the shirt I bought,

2012-12-03190550.jpg

2012-12-03190757.jpg

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. :cool1:

Thanks for posting this, I can't wait!

Congratulations on your first race!

I finished W7D2 of the C25K app today! I am going to spend the next few months increasing my speed so I can finish in a decent time when I run it in March.

I ran it on Tuesday this week with a group of about 70 others and we did not get medals. Only a certificate as we crossed the finish line. It was still a fun experience.

I ran it on Tuesday this week with a group of about 70 others and we did not get medals. Only a certificate as we crossed the finish line. It was still a fun experience.

It does fall in line with previous reports that Fantasy has medals and Dream does not. :(

Tip for those that are running: Don't forget to wear sunscreen! The day started out overcast but the sun came out in the middle of the race and beat down pretty hard.

MatthewsMommy said:
Are you on the 2/16 Fantasy? I'm on that cruise as well and still thinking about doing the CC5K.

I'm running on the treadmill and am down to an 11 min mile. Running my first 5K this Sat!

I am on your cruise and will be running. Only one in my family who will be!

Is the childcare on CC open before the race? I'd love to run this 5K on our cruise, but as a single parent I need someone to watch my kids. They'd LOVE one of those medals, but I'm not sure I can get them to run a 5K. If they aren't able to train for it, is there childcare available?

CruisingGoddess said:
It does fall in line with previous reports that Fantasy has medals and Dream does not. :(

Tip for those that are running: Don't forget to wear sunscreen! The day started out overcast but the sun came out in the middle of the race and beat down pretty hard.

Just ran it on the Fantasy this week they did have medals no certificates. The guy told my husband who was waiting for me that most of the other ships ran out of them and they can't keep them in stock because so many people are running now, all the medals are on the Fantasy because its new and people expect them to have them. But they are ordering more and trying to restock the other ships.

I noticed at the trivia thing now you get the water bottle they use to give out for running

My husband and I ran the 5k on 12/7/12. We had to check in at 0930 at the Tube. As a group we walked to the starting point. It was so hot for my husband and I, we live in Upstate NY so we aren't used to the humidity. But, it was a good run. There was a water checkpoint along the way. We got a metal after we crossed the finish line and checked back with one of the organizers. T-shirts were available for sale at the store right near the start/finish.
My only complaint would be, I wish we started the process earlier. It would have been nice if we got off the ship at 945, and started the run around 10. But, I would do it again :thumbsup2

Is the childcare on CC open before the race? I'd love to run this 5K on our cruise, but as a single parent I need someone to watch my kids. They'd LOVE one of those medals, but I'm not sure I can get them to run a 5K. If they aren't able to train for it, is there childcare available?

Ooh, when are you going? The "this is new" link in my sig is my pre-cruise-journal-of-sorts, FYI.

If my son can separate himself from our cousins at that point, I'm hoping they'll let him run with me (and maybe DH if his achilles issue calms down). But I'm thinking he'll be with his cousins and will refuse to leave them. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter