Bypass on Main Street?

We used the new pathway during an afternoon arrival at the MK two weeks ago (no parade was going on or ending at the time). The barriers, lights and shrubs are quite satisfactory, partially shrouding the back of the shops and the parking area. And a CM was positioned every 20 yards or so. If indeed as rteetz suggests, that "they are still working on it," it should look even better upon completion.

We're going to be there in November and have MSEP FP+ on 11/16. Currently it is showing the FP+ area is Town Square. I'm wondering if anyone knows if we'll be able to use the bypass after the parade to get quickly to the Hub area to watch Wishes?

This is from Jim Hill's site, it's an unused 1975 plan to add a version of Liberty Square and the Hall Of Presidents to Disneyland, and it would have also connected Main Street to Tomorrowland. The walk ways are in the same location as Magic Kingdom's bypass and I think the two look rather similar, if the MK bypass ever becomes permanent it may end up looking something like this
6175.WHL_2D00_11.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

Last edited:
This is from Jim Hill's site, it's an unused 1975 plan to add a version of Liberty Square and the Hall Of Presidents to Disneyland, and it would have also connected Main Street to Tomorrowland. The walk ways are in the same location as Magic Kingdom's bypass and I think the two look rather similar, if the MK bypass ever becomes permanent it may end up looking something like this
The bypass's sole purpose is to get people moving. They are not going to add shops or attractions back there for another bottleneck situation. The bypass is permanent already in the fact it has been built and dressed up to be a walkway past main street during parades and fireworks.

The bypass's sole purpose is to get people moving. They are not going to add shops or attractions back there for another bottleneck situation. The bypass is permanent already in the fact it has been built and dressed up to be a walkway past main street during parades and fireworks.

I meant if it ever became "permanently open" this is how it would probably be done, as opposed the the covered arcades that are in Disneyland Paris that people were discussing elsewhere in this thread, and Main Street is a bottelneck because it's the only path.

I meant if it ever became "permanently open" this is how it would probably be done, as opposed the the covered arcades that are in Disneyland Paris that people were discussing elsewhere in this thread
I think if it were open permanently it would stay as is. They've added street lights and fake facades already.

I think if it were open permanently it would stay as is. They've added street lights and fake facades already.

Well I think most what they have at the moment seems kind of temporary, but it's only meant to be seen a few minutes a day, usually in the dark which is why they need the lights. If it was always open it they porbably would go the extra steps to add the additional entrance that "Middle Street" and have an extra path to Tomorrowland like the 1975 diagram shows.

But what they currently have satisfies the current need, if they remodel Tomorrowland again of add some kind of attraction/meet and greet or something then there would be a reason have it be always open

Well I think most what they have at the moment seems kind of temporary, but it's only meant to be seen a few minutes a day, usually in the dark which is why they need the lights. If it was always open it they porbably would go the extra steps to add the additional entrance that "Middle Street" and have an extra path to Tomorrowland like the 1975 diagram shows.

But what they currently have satisfies the current need, if they remodel Tomorrowland again of add some kind of attraction/meet and greet or something then there would be a reason have it be always open
Actually it's pretty permanent. They have built it so it would not look like its backstage. It's being used rather frequently as well during the day during parades and at night during MSEP and Firworks. Sometimes it's even open when the park overall is just crowded.

Actually it's pretty permanent. They have built it so it would not look like its backstage. It's being used rather frequently as well during the day during parades and at night during MSEP and Firworks. Sometimes it's even open when the park overall is just crowded.

Ok, I think you and I different idea about what "permanent construction" looks like, to me exposed pipes and green fabric scrims aren't a "finished product", it's more like "good enough for the time being"

htsdfd72.jpg

Main-Street-USA-Bypass-Provides-Lightly-Themed-Traffic-Relief3.jpg

and this is the only blue print for the current project I'm aware of

r-1394379750-HubRedesign1.jpg

The fact that there is lights, planted shrubs and permanent railings say this is permanent. It's not completed yet. It may not be open all hours but it's not "good enough"

Most of the buildings have meaningful facades now. When I worked there, this was all backstage and looked it. When guests were diverted prior to this, you had temporary barriers, movable plants and lots of portable queue posts with rope.

I haven't heard anything to suggest that the bypass is intended to be converted to "front of house" so I doubt it will ever get the sort of themeing that actual park has.

It clearly is intended as a permanent pressure valve though and the way it's been spruced up indicates that.

Ok, I think you and I different idea about what "permanent construction" looks like, to me exposed pipes and green fabric scrims aren't a "finished product", it's more like "good enough for the time being"

htsdfd72.jpg

Main-Street-USA-Bypass-Provides-Lightly-Themed-Traffic-Relief3.jpg

and this is the only blue print for the current project I'm aware of

Those pictures are outdated it's gotten some more things since then. As others have said its not intended to be anything more than a walkway.

Those pictures are outdated it's gotten some more things since then. As others have said its not intended to be anything more than a walkway.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying, I know it's a walk way, they've been using it as a part time walk way for well over a decade now, painting fake bricks on the backs of the existing buildings and adding a few flower beds isn't much of change though. But there is plenty of space in that area to add more than just a walk way, they could fit a whole new mini-land in that area of the Magic Kingdom like they've been planning to do a Disneyland for 60 years now since Disneyland opened

This is a 1950's plan to build Liberty Square of Main Street in Disneyland
Liberty%20Street%201.jpg

This is a revised 1970's plan to build Liberty Square of Main Street in Disneyland

and this is what is in the process of being built in Magic Kingdom and you should be able to see that there is a lot of space that could be used for futue expansion of the park

You're missing the point of what I'm saying, I know it's a walk way, they've been using it as a part time walk way for well over a decade now, painting fake bricks on the backs of the existing buildings and adding a few flower beds isn't much of change though. But there is plenty of space in that area to add more than just a walk way, they could fit a whole new mini-land in that area of the Magic Kingdom like they've been planning to do a Disneyland for 60 years now since Disneyland opened

This is a 1950's plan to build Liberty Square of Main Street in Disneyland
Liberty%20Street%201.jpg

This is a revised 1970's plan to build Liberty Square of Main Street in Disneyland

and this is what is in the process of being built in Magic Kingdom and you should be able to see that there is a lot of space that could be used for futue expansion of the park
Yes there may be room for it but that doesn't mean it's necessary. The walkway is meant to be a way around the road blocks on main street. Adding more things back there would increase the traffic. The whole purpose of this bypass is to keep people moving and not bottlenecked on Main Street.

Yes there may be room for it but that doesn't mean it's necessary. The walkway is meant to be a way around the road blocks on main street. Adding more things back there would increase the traffic. The whole purpose of this bypass is to keep people moving and not bottlenecked on Main Street.

Ok we're making some progress here... but adding a second full time path won't increase the "total" crowd though, theoretically, or what you hope would happen is that adding a second path will split the existing crowd in half, but that will only happen if half the people want use the second path.

Like for example if there are 4000 people on Main Street at any given time, and this is too crowded, "hopefully" having a second full time path would mean that 2000 people will take Main Street and the other 2000 will take the bypass and you'll have low crowds on both streets, but "realistically" I think most of the people will want to continue using Main Street unless they add something new or special to do or see on that second path.

With recent news of christmas parade taping in november,would this be available. We have never been during a taping.
Robo...where are you

With recent news of christmas parade taping in november,would this be available. We have never been during a taping.
Robo...where are you
Last year they opened what was to become this pathway for overflow/bypass during the taping. Back then it horrible show with no theming, but they opened it anyway. You can count on them doing the same thing this year. Now thank goodness they've really dressed it up and made it look like it belongs in the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:
Like for example if there are 4000 people on Main Street at any given time, and this is too crowded, "hopefully" having a second full time path would mean that 2000 people will take Main Street and the other 2000 will take the bypass and you'll have low crowds on both streets, but "realistically" I think most of the people will want to continue using Main Street unless they add something new or special to do or see on that second path.
The people who don't want to view the parade or fireworks will use the path. That is the intention of the path. Only during those times is Main Street a problem.

Ok we're making some progress here... but adding a second full time path won't increase the "total" crowd though, theoretically, or what you hope would happen is that adding a second path will split the existing crowd in half, but that will only happen if half the people want use the second path.

I really don't think it's ever been intended as an "alternate Main Street" and in fact Disney want most people to continue using Main Street because of all the shops there. The goal of the bypass is to give people a quick way in and out. That in itself is the draw. So putting stores or even windows on it would rather defeat the purpose because while it won't increase the crowd it creates the logjams of people standing around looking at things instead of walking.

I really don't think it's ever been intended as an "alternate Main Street" and in fact Disney want most people to continue using Main Street because of all the shops there. The goal of the bypass is to give people a quick way in and out. That in itself is the draw. So putting stores or even windows on it would rather defeat the purpose because while it won't increase the crowd it creates the logjams of people standing around looking at things instead of walking.
Bingo. It's also a good safety path for emergencies instead of trying to push your way through the the Main Street parade or firework crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter