Bag check guard opened wallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happened to notice this multi-tool money clip at Eddie Bauer the other day, and I can't help wonder if something like this would help alleviate the fears of cash being lifted. Not necessarily this particular one, perhaps one made of plastic with no sharp edges, so it wouldn't trigger metal detectors or create other issues.

My quick 2 cents is that I'm happy they do checks on everything! The last thing I want to worry about at Disney of all places is if I can enjoy this without incident. It's unfortunate that this is the world we live in but such is life. I get so worried going to concerts when they check 0 bags, I feel like I can't enjoy myself completely wondering what they could have missed! I'm not hiding anything and I highly doubt a security guard is going to steal my cash or cards while I'm looking right at him/her.

I just read through this thread and I have to say, I was surprised to read about the wallet searching now. I had an annual pass which expired this past April. I went to the parks a LOT that prior year and never once was my wallet inside my big Disney tote removed, let alone unzipped or searched. Now maybe I was just lucky, but I went many many days over that year – probably at least six or more trips, and I never once experienced this level of bag scrutiny. The bag person would reach in and around, but never remove things and it's a very large tote. It would not bother me in the least, but reading this thread just made me wonder why that specific change.

My quick 2 cents is that I'm happy they do checks on everything! The last thing I want to worry about at Disney of all places is if I can enjoy this without incident. It's unfortunate that this is the world we live in but such is life. I get so worried going to concerts when they check 0 bags, I feel like I can't enjoy myself completely wondering what they could have missed! I'm not hiding anything and I highly doubt a security guard is going to steal my cash or cards while I'm looking right at him/her.
I would be glad if they checked everything. But they don't.

One guard pulls out the wallet and unzips it. Another allows someone through the "bagless" line, with all of their stuff stuffed into pockets. Another pulls out a woman's sanitary pads and places them on the table while he looks into the rest of the bag. (Yes, I have seen this.)

Early in August, I had to unzip my wallet (Vera Bradley wristlet) at every single Disney park, and show security all compartments. For those going on upcoming trips, just plan on it, get it out of your bag and unzip it when it is your turn. It will make the whole process go faster. After the first morning at MK, when I learned this was the process, I just had it open and showed all compartments. This will avoid the security personnel from having to open it. I agree Universal's procedure was more efficient, but they screen everyone prior to getting to Citywalk, either at the resorts prior to getting on the boats, on the paths to Citywalk, or coming from the parking garage. It is not performed in the parks themselves (other than some rides, you can't have any change, phone, etc in your pockets going on Hulk). I don't see Disney being able to do this without eliminating parking at the individual parks.

The best thing to do here is to pretend you're going to a marathon.

When I run, and I believe many of my friends do something similar, I'll put whatever I need in a little half-sleeve wallet. They actually give these out in the goody bags for some races. It's a little bifold plastic piece that can hold a driver's license, cash, maybe a credit card. Obviously, you won't need things like a library card, voter ID, a Macy's card (unless you're using it as an American Express), that loyalty card to Borders that you haven't been able to use in five years yet is still in your wallet, etc.

Don't take a full wallet. It makes your life less of a worry and makes the security guards' job much easier.

Haha my Borders card is in a storage box with stuff from my old desk...but Grandma's is still on her keyring!! (At least it was last time I was over there).

Not a bad card to keep...Borders was one of my favorite go-to places if I needed to chill, even if it wound up being a money pit for me (hey, there were just too many good books there!)

They have the right to open all bags or anything zipped shut. If he asked you to open it what would you have said? If you said no they can refuse your entry into the park. I just don't see an issue here in this case.

Airport security does NOT open anyone's wallet. In fact, you do not have to remove your wallet from your purse or backpack. The entire thing goes through the xray machine. A wallet is not a bag. A wallet is also very easily identified. If you all want someone pawing through your credit cards, bank cards and money then go for it. Not going to happen without my express permission and ME handling MY wallet. I just went through 4 levels of security in the Istanbul airport and no one opened my wallet even when they did a hand search of all bags. They have real terrorists and don't care about my money.
Are terrorists in the US fake? Better tell that to all the 9/11 victims, or the Pulse victims. Your wallet wasn't searched likely because it had already been x-rayed and wasn't of interest for your hand search.

As I stated, She has. Since they've installed the detectors at airports she's been repeatedly told from her cardiologist to skip it and opt for the pat down, and has written documentation *from the doctor* stating that.

She's been told via phone and in writing by Disney security management that if she gets pulled for random screening to ask for a manual pat down, yet at the gates she gets turned back because of her refusal to go through the metal detectors.
They installed metal detectors in airports in 1973. Or do you mean the millimeter wave machines that have been installed recently. They are different technologies. Wdw uses metal detectors as far as I know not millimeter wave machines (we don't have to strike a pose). I would really suggest she clarify with her doctor and the manufacturer of her pace maker. I think there is a misunderstanding.

I think it's only fair that men's wallets be searched as well and your pockets too...I mean come on we all know what's up with those packed pockets.
Countdown to those who miss the point.....

I know I am going to get flamed for this but today we went through security at EPCOT and the guard was looking through my backpack and then he did something that irked me a little. He took my wife's zipper wallet and opened it, with her cash and credit cards in it. Even in the name of security, he could have asked me to open it instead of just taking it upon himself.
I know this thread has been quite the hot topic as security guards are required (as many have mentioned) to look in all zippered areas. It's amazing to me how so many of you have had such different experiences. I carry a Dooney wristlet and they always look in it - nothing but cards in there. :goodvibes

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that we chose to feature this thread on the DIS Daily Fix! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Legally, no one, any security, is not allowed to stick their hands in your purse. I've worked security one time and someone was reprimanded very hard for sticking their hand inside someone’s purse. They are supposed to use sticks and if they feel there is something further that needs to be done such as a wallet being unzipped, they are supposed to ask you to open it.

Legally, no one, any security, is not allowed to stick their hands in your purse. I've worked security one time and someone was reprimanded very hard for sticking their hand inside someone’s purse. They are supposed to use sticks and if they feel there is something further that needs to be done such as a wallet being unzipped, they are supposed to ask you to open it.

Can you point to this law somewhere? I'd be shocked if Disney's high priced lawyers hadn't gone over the legal ramifications of these searches with a fine tooth comb....but stranger things have happened. Nobody has ever used a stick to search our bags at WDW.

Last edited:
Can you point to this law somewhere?

The fourth amendment protects privacy and would prohibit security or police from searching you without probable cause. That being said, by entering the bag check line, they would have implied consent from you to search it so I don't think they'd need probable cause in that case. I do often see security in many places using sticks to rifle through bags but I suspect it's more of a liability thing, to protect the guards and the organization from false accusations.

The fourth amendment protects privacy and would prohibit security or police from searching you without probable cause. That being said, by entering the bag check line, they would have implied consent from you to search it so I don't think they'd need probable cause in that case. I do often see security in many places using sticks to rifle through bags but I suspect it's more of a liability thing, to protect the guards and the organization from false accusations.

But Disney is private property, 1 and as you pointed out, you give consent by entering the property...and 2 I'm referring to the idea that "legally security has to use a stick" idea the PP referred to.

But Disney is private property, 1 and as you pointed out, you give consent by entering the property...and 2 I'm referring to the idea that "legally security has to use a stick" idea the PP referred to.

Private property or not, Disney security still has to respect the fourth amendment. BUT that's not what we're talking about here since the OP gave permission to search the bag when entering bag check.

I don't think there's a specific law that says they have to use a stick to search bags, but I do think it's best practice so organizations would be smart to set that as a rule.

That would apply to government agencies etc, not private property, which Disney World is. Also, similar to when you take a plane there are limitations on the right. I think the stick is more of a safety thing for the security officer. Needle sticks etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter