• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bag check guard opened wallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
No criticism for posting here, because IMO that's what Disboards are for: a chance for Disney nuts to hash through the minutia that nobody else ever notices. Bring on the small questions! If people don't like them, why do they open the threads?

So on with the debate: I am with those who don't see why this would matter. If I don't require the security guard to ask permission to open my backpack, why would I need him/her to ask permission to open my wallet? I guess I just don't see the difference. If it's because there is money and credit cards in it, I still don't see the difference. Why is it different?

He could have asked. I would have been happy.
This could have already been addressed so excuse my laziness for not reading 5 pages. But didn't he ask? Aren't there signs that say have all zippers unzipped?

Aren't the guards constantly shouting to have all zippers unzipped as you are entering the lines? Unless something has changed since my last visit.

Yes, I know no one would actually expect to unzip them all but it is asked of us.

Just be happy they're not patting you down and having you empty your pockets like at a concert.

Sorry, OP, but I don't see an issue with this. A thorough bag check could easily include wallets, especially if they were looking for blades of some sort. When you queued up for the bag check line, you agreed to a bag search of any and all items you are carrying into the park. My husband as 2 artificial hips at 44 due to a rare arthritic condition. He sets off metal detectors and has been told to drop his drawers at security points worldwide with little to no privacy to show the scars, even if he has doctor notes--that's an invasion of privacy. A guard opening and searching your wallet, while you watch, at a bag check you willingly agreed to is not some invasion of privacy or beyond the pale.

Not flaming you, discussion like this is what makes the DIS great, but I have to agree with the others here. They specifically mention to open ALL zippers and pockets when you approach the guard and that means all, not just some. Whenever I bring a zippered wallet or card case, you bet that it is unzipped and opened for them to see. I don't expect them to dismiss opening a wallet or card case because it's a wallet/looks like a wallet, anything could be in there. They don't want my money, ID, or cards, they just want to do their job and have us both be on our way as fast and efficiently as possible. I don't find them looking through anything I've brought to be any sort of big deal. I agreed to let them search the property I have on me when I stepped into the line, and I know that rule ahead of time so I should either not be shocked that they open/see something in my bag or else I shouldn't take it with me if I would be upset at someone else handling or viewing it.

I wouldn't ever expect them to ask for your permission to unzip anything they find in your bag because you gave them that permission when you got in line for the bag check. As others have said, if they stopped to ask everyone's permission as a courtesy - after you had already basically granted them your permission by getting in line - that would cause unnecessary delays and I'm sure other issues would end up arising.

If you dislike the idea of someone looking in your wallet (which I definitely do understand), maybe a card holder would work for you? The ones I have store 4ish cards on the outside and have a teeny tiny slip pocket in the center that holds a bit of folded cash or another card. Nothing for anyone to unzip or rifle through, as you can just glance at the sides and from a practicality standpoint, very lightweight and functional! When I use my card case at Disney, they flip it from side to side and sometimes don't even notice the center pocket, I've ended up showing them that myself! That way no one is flipping through anything wallet-wise.

Or I can just put in my pocket and bypass security.

So next time I go through I will lay out all my items on the table for inspection. Eye glass cases, battery case , wallets and don't forget to open up those drink mugs. Nobody will ever get through the line.

All I can say is that you all are a trusting bunch of people. If I had a lot of cash in my wallet, I would be very uncomfortable with a security guard going through my wallet. Sleight of hand is not that difficult to learn.

It's one thing for a guard to go through your bag where you have items like combs, lipstick and breath mints. It's a whole other ball of wax when we are talking about a guard handling your valuables.

All I can say is that you all are a trusting bunch of people. If I had a lot of cash in my wallet, I would be very uncomfortable with a security guard going through my wallet. Sleight of hand is not that difficult to learn.

It's one thing for a guard to go through your bag where you have items like combs, lipstick and breath mints. It's a whole other ball of wax when we are talking about a guard handling your valuables.

Jeez, now I have to worry about a security guard learning magic tricks AND terrorists?

Stacy

People still wear cargo shorts? :P
My four year old daughter ADORES cargo shorts. "Look at those cute leggings and top" I say. NOPE - she wants the cargo shorts in the boys section. She likes all the pockets. Then I do laundry and find goodness only knows what in there. :laundy:

My wallet snaps shut. No zipper. Never had a guard open it before but I would have been irked as well if they did because the billfold part of my wallet is large and it's easy for cash to fall out if you're not careful. Someone not familiar with my wallet obviously would not know this, so I can see why the OP may have been miffed the guard opened it when the OP wasn't expecting it. The lesson here going forward is that the wallet should be taken out and opened by the OP to avoid that situation happening again in the future.

With the amount that Disney is charging for tickets these days who has cash leftover to put in their wallets?

The problem is they are opening small bill fold wallets- but people with baggy cargo shorts obviously bulging with "stuff" walk thru as they don't have bags.

I wore cargo shorts, and whenever I had anything bulky in them (basically, when I was carrying more than just my inhaler and my phone, although sometimes even then) I was either asked to show them what I had in there at the "no bag" entrance or was sent through the metal detector. A couple of days I had my autograph book in that pocket, and they always wanted to see what it was in there!

Not a matter of being courteous or not its a matter of getting what needs to be done, done and move on to the next one. Thousands of people move through those lines daily they have no reason to stop and ask permission it is supposed to be open by the time you get to the guard if it isnt they will open it should they feel the need to with or without your permission and if you are against it might as well not even get in the line

Sooooooo you'd rather trust crazy people, suicidal, homicidal, terrorists, etc, etc. (I know I'll get flamed for all that and yes it was different options not one lump sum)
But not a security guard because he or she could also be a magician. Ok then.

I would think having guards opening people's wallet would be a liability WDW would want to avoid since it can lead to people saying money or cards were taken, fell out, etc. Unless the guard can say he or she had a reasonable concern about it. In the OP's case, after seeing the photo, I think it's entirely possible the guard didn't realize it was an actual wallet. Maybe if he had, he wouldn't have opened it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter