Australia/NZ Cruises

Lesverts

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any experience on these cruises? Is it the same Disney experience or slightly different? I know from reading the literature from other cruise lines that Australia/New Zealand have slightly different rules and requirements.

I am looking at last minute booking one of the cruises next month.

Does anyone have any experience on these cruises? Is it the same Disney experience or slightly different? I know from reading the literature from other cruise lines that Australia/New Zealand have slightly different rules and requirements.

Well, since the Wonder only recently arrived there, there aren't a lot of people (yet) to report on what/if any differences there may be.

I understand it will be USD, which at our current exchange rate, makes any onboard purchases a very pricey proposition!

I think we'll be bringing our own "gifts" for our daughter and avoiding the onboard stores.

I understand that some of the key differences are:

- no Halloween or Christmas theming;
- Pirate night may or may not be on your cruise, depending upon its duration;
- no fireworks for Pirate night, but there may be fireworks on the last night during the "Ever After" (?) party;
- no character breakfasts (but, I think that's been the way for a while now);
- no ticketed Frozen "meet and greet" (I'm not sure if that has also been stopped for a while).

Well, since the Wonder only recently arrived there, there aren't a lot of people (yet) to report on what/if any differences there may be.
The Wonder has not yet arrived in Australia/New Zealand yet. She is currently heading to Noumea then will arrive in Sydney, Australia on 27th October. The first of the Aus/NZ cruises then leaves Sydney on 28th October.

Are these the first cruises? I thought Disney was there last year or was I dreaming?
These are definitely the first cruise from Australia/New Zealand. We have waited for this for such a long time.

I wonder if it is going to be USD or AUD/NZD onboard.
Everything on board will be charged in USD but costs more due to the addition of GST.

I understand that some of the key differences are:

- no Halloween or Christmas theming;
- Pirate night may or may not be on your cruise, depending upon its duration;
- no fireworks for Pirate night, but there may be fireworks on the last night during the "Ever After" (?) party;
- no character breakfasts (but, I think that's been the way for a while now);
- no ticketed Frozen "meet and greet" (I'm not sure if that has also been stopped for a while).
There have been no character breakfasts and Frozen meets and greets since pre Covid. Apparently, Pixar cruises did have a ticketed breakfast with waving characters who did not stop for pics...so not like the old character breakfasts..which were just on 7+ nt cruises.

There have been no character breakfasts and Frozen meets and greets since pre Covid.
Thanks. I suspected that was the case, but I haven't been able to confirm.

I was just going off what was available when we cruised on the Wonder in 2016 versus what information I've been able to gather about the down under offerings.

Thanks. I suspected that was the case, but I haven't been able to confirm.

I was just going off what was available when we cruised on the Wonder in 2016 versus what information I've been able to gather about the down under offerings.
We cruised the Fantasy 7 nt Western last year and Dream 7nt Norwegian Fjords this year. Unfortunately, no Anna and Elsa on the cruise, and no Frozen deck party like they used to have for Northern itineraries. Best to just enjoy what they DO offer vs being sad about what is not there anymore.

This is the first time Disney has been Down Under. I will be there on the first sailing which leaves on Saturday. I can do a short trip report when I get back if you would like?

There have been no character breakfasts and Frozen meets and greets since pre Covid. Apparently, Pixar cruises did have a ticketed breakfast with waving characters who did not stop for pics...so not like the old character breakfasts..which were just on 7+ nt cruises.
Anna and Elsa did meet on the Magic last September but not on the Wonder this September. However it wasn’t ticketed on the Magic, they had a few throughout the cruise and you just turned up.

Anna and Elsa did meet on the Magic last September but not on the Wonder this September. However it wasn’t ticketed on the Magic, they had a few throughout the cruise and you just turned up.
Anna and Elsa usually make an appearance in the kids club where they do a crafting activity with the kids and then a short meet and greet. They haven't been doing general appearances on the Wonder

Olease tell me more about the onboard offerings for the crossing mainly character/disney entertainment/special activities wise

I’m also onboard the Wonder heading to Sydney!

Everyone’s perspective will be a bit different on the offerings (we’re not really into characters so I only know what I see in passing) but the entertainment team has worked hard to fill the days (9 sea days!).

The usual bingo, karaoke, movies, etc are there, along with tons and tons of trivia (easily 6-8 games a day, with very little repeats), crafts, and learning how to draw (using the videos but the Entertainment team is there to help guide everyone along). They also created new game shows just for this cruise, but I can’t speak much about those since I only caught a couple by accident while we were waiting for the next event (we are more trivia/crafts people).

We didn’t do any meet and greets with the characters, but off the top of my head they’ve had the Fab 5 plus Daisy, the chipmunks, Hook & Smee, Stitch, and various princesses (Ariel, Cinderella, Tiana, Belle, Rapunzel). There’s also an Encanto party in D Lounge where you can meet Mirabel and Bruno, but I think they were scheduled somewhere else at least once. We were supposed to have Captain Jack for pirate night but he got removed from the schedule last minute. But also they last minute added Thor and Spider-Man for today (after last-night’s Marvel show) and there’s a new Star Wars character greet that popped up for tomorrow but I don’t know what it is.

Last night we got a soft open sneak peak of the new Marvel show they’ll be doing and it seemed to go over really well! I heard a few people say they liked it better than Pirate night. I only saw a dress rehearsal without all the effects earlier in the cruise — I was too tired after dinner last night to stay up and watch the full deck party. I’m not sure how many Aus/NZ sailings that show will be on, though.

We did have pirate night, of course. And they also had special events and a countdown party for the day we crossed the equator. Nothing for the International Date Line beyond some time change confusion, lol.

The special guest is a National Geographic photographer who is from Australia. He’s been giving lectures during sea days on places he’s traveled, with emphasis on Australia and Polynesia, as well as photography tips. The other guest is a chef doing the Anyone Can Cook series. I haven’t attended any of the cooking shows but they are super popular and fill up quickly.

The 3 big shows are the same: Golden Mickeys, Frozen, and Disney Dreams. They’ve also supplemented with various musicians, magicians, a juggler, and one night they had the new Haunted Mansion as the main event in the WDT. Tonight is the crew talent show which we only get to see on long crossings so I’m excited for that!

I’m not sure if this is also just for the longer sailings (especially ones where there are generally fewer kids), but a few times they’ve opened up the kids club to only adults after 10pm so we can play around and do a craft. My family used to love to make flubber but now it’s apparently Stich’s space goo! Tells you how long it’s been since we last sailed, lol.

I’m sure there’s other things I’ve missed just because they weren’t on my radar. But it’s hard to be bored when there is so much going on (not to mention just good old-fashioned relaxing!).

I’m also onboard the Wonder heading to Sydney!

Everyone’s perspective will be a bit different on the offerings (we’re not really into characters so I only know what I see in passing) but the entertainment team has worked hard to fill the days (9 sea days!).

The usual bingo, karaoke, movies, etc are there, along with tons and tons of trivia (easily 6-8 games a day, with very little repeats), crafts, and learning how to draw (using the videos but the Entertainment team is there to help guide everyone along). They also created new game shows just for this cruise, but I can’t speak much about those since I only caught a couple by accident while we were waiting for the next event (we are more trivia/crafts people).

We didn’t do any meet and greets with the characters, but off the top of my head they’ve had the Fab 5 plus Daisy, the chipmunks, Hook & Smee, Stitch, and various princesses (Ariel, Cinderella, Tiana, Belle, Rapunzel). There’s also an Encanto party in D Lounge where you can meet Mirabel and Bruno, but I think they were scheduled somewhere else at least once. We were supposed to have Captain Jack for pirate night but he got removed from the schedule last minute. But also they last minute added Thor and Spider-Man for today (after last-night’s Marvel show) and there’s a new Star Wars character greet that popped up for tomorrow but I don’t know what it is.

Last night we got a soft open sneak peak of the new Marvel show they’ll be doing and it seemed to go over really well! I heard a few people say they liked it better than Pirate night. I only saw a dress rehearsal without all the effects earlier in the cruise — I was too tired after dinner last night to stay up and watch the full deck party. I’m not sure how many Aus/NZ sailings that show will be on, though.

We did have pirate night, of course. And they also had special events and a countdown party for the day we crossed the equator. Nothing for the International Date Line beyond some time change confusion, lol.

The special guest is a National Geographic photographer who is from Australia. He’s been giving lectures during sea days on places he’s traveled, with emphasis on Australia and Polynesia, as well as photography tips. The other guest is a chef doing the Anyone Can Cook series. I haven’t attended any of the cooking shows but they are super popular and fill up quickly.

The 3 big shows are the same: Golden Mickeys, Frozen, and Disney Dreams. They’ve also supplemented with various musicians, magicians, a juggler, and one night they had the new Haunted Mansion as the main event in the WDT. Tonight is the crew talent show which we only get to see on long crossings so I’m excited for that!

I’m not sure if this is also just for the longer sailings (especially ones where there are generally fewer kids), but a few times they’ve opened up the kids club to only adults after 10pm so we can play around and do a craft. My family used to love to make flubber but now it’s apparently Stich’s space goo! Tells you how long it’s been since we last sailed, lol.

I’m sure there’s other things I’ve missed just because they weren’t on my radar. But it’s hard to be bored when there is so much going on (not to mention just good old-fashioned relaxing!).
Thank you so much for the review! Glad to see they added some special characters cause that was a bit disappointing on the ta.
Glad to hear they still have pirate night.
I loobe late night adult time at rhe clubs!
Do you know the guest time.
If you happen to know or heard: do the vips also have their marvel outfits or is it only real marvel characters?
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter