Australia/NZ Cruises

I think we Europeans are still used to some level of tipping being common in some countries, so they would not be totally against tipping. They might be inclined to reduce tips though. But yes, plenty of well off Americans on those European sailings which will buffer European stinginess.

But that’s why Princess for example only sells „all inclusive“ fares on the German market with a drink package and included tips. I think it’s sold as „no tips necessary“. Also the two cruise lines for the German market (Aida and Mein Schiff), both subsidiaries of American lines, have no tips on board.
Regarding Europe. What about the tipping on excursions? Is it expected? 15 or 20% ? USD or euros? thx

Regarding Europe. What about the tipping on excursions? Is it expected? 15 or 20% ? USD or euros? thx
All over the place. Definitely do not tip US cash if you are in the Eurozone to off the ship vendors. On a tour with 30 people from different nationalities, you might see people tipping nothing and others 20%. It's very difficult to give a hard rule. I would suggest to not tip under 5%. But it also depends on the type of excursion. If it is mainly a bus transfer to Florence with a guide sitting on the bus telling you something while you drive there and then you explore Florence on your own, I would tip less percentage than if someone took me on a 4 hour walking tour through Rome in the heat. I am sorry that this is so imprecise, but ultimately do what you think is appropriate, the people working in the tourist industry are used to everything and will definitely appreciate getting a tip over not getting a tip.

All over the place. Definitely do not tip US cash if you are in the Eurozone to off the ship vendors. On a tour with 30 people from different nationalities, you might see people tipping nothing and others 20%. It's very difficult to give a hard rule. I would suggest to not tip under 5%. But it also depends on the type of excursion. If it is mainly a bus transfer to Florence with a guide sitting on the bus telling you something while you drive there and then you explore Florence on your own, I would tip less percentage than if someone took me on a 4 hour walking tour through Rome in the heat. I am sorry that this is so imprecise, but ultimately do what you think is appropriate, the people working in the tourist industry are used to everything and will definitely appreciate getting a tip over not getting a tip.
So say family of 5 and the excursion total is 500....tip 75 euros? Or around that? Most tours will be
guides/drivers. Last time we were in Europe several years ago the first time DH tried to tip the person
refused so he never opened his wallet again thinking tipping wasn't the norm. This time I want to bring
extra Euros and tip something no matter what.

So say family of 5 and the excursion total is 500....tip 75 euros? Or around that? Most tours will be
guides/drivers. Last time we were in Europe several years ago the first time DH tried to tip the person
refused so he never opened his wallet again thinking tipping wasn't the norm. This time I want to bring
extra Euros and tip something no matter what.
I think that that's a good benchmark, around 15% would be generous in Europe. But hopefully the tour will be wonderful and you want to give them a nice tip. If one person doesn't accept a tip, that can happen. Especially if they are self employed and keep the whole excursion price anyway. But if you book through a booking engine (like Get your guide etc.) they take a commission, too, so a tip might offset some of that as well. But the next person might appreciate the tip. 5 Euro notes aren't that common, so you might think of amounts in 10€ steps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter