April 8, 2006 Western Magic Cruise

Just a heads up if you give blood on a regular basis

from Red Cross site
Travel Outside of U.S., Immigration
Wait 12 months after travel in an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after living in a country where malaria is found.

We got back from the 2/25-3/4 western that visited Costa Maya.
And my brother-in-law went to give blood & was told Costa Maya is on that list. [Cozumel wasn't]
My sister does platlets [spelling?] and she can't donate for a year either.

They say Malaria can be transfered just being in the warm water...

If you donate regular, I wouldn't get off in that port.

Outside of that, have a blast cause it was fun

Thanks for the heads up Jeff, right now we are still scheduled to go to Cozumel so we will see!

OK, now I have:
UMTerp & DH - 2
Pocono & DH - 2
Vavasmon & DH - 2
Polly P & DH - 2
for the wine tasting. For anyone new to the thread, we are planning to have an informal wine tasting for anyone who's interested at 2:00PM on the second sea day. Each 2-3 people should bring their favorite/local wine and a description to share. We can get some cheese platters and snacks and try the different wines. Anyone else interested?

I'm reading more about Playa Mia. Seems that the Carnival passengers all go there for the all-you-can-drink and that the booze boats all stop there as well. I'm going to have to do more research!!!

Packed yet?

UMTerp

Hi Everyone,

Welcome Mslinda and Melora! Glad to hear you will be joining us.

Polly, Here's some pixie dust for your daughter.

Um, We were thinking about and will probably get a quote. I don't think I want to spend that kind of money even on a DCL cruise. Celebrity Millienium is half the price for a verendah room. The ship got glowing reviews. We could probably do 12 -14 days in Hawaii for less than what they are quoting for 11 nights. Bob probaby couldn't get more than 2 weeks off, so we wouldn't be able to do any touring. We'll end up doing something for our anniversary, I just don't think it will be a Med. cruise. Oh well, it was nice to dream about.

Mr. thanks for the heads up. What other islands were on the list?

No docs.

Got the bathing suit today

Not packed yet.

Pocono

Good morning everyone!

We dropped down to page 2!

Pocono - congrats on finding a bathing suit!

Have a great day!

UMTerp

Hi All!

Im so excited!

We have no cruise documents yet but was figuring it might be because we moved and they probably have our old address so its going to take time to forward.. Do I need them if I check in on line? Ive sailed twice before (Mexico and Alaska) but its been 4 years so I dont remember.

Im stressing a little about the shore excusions because I read that the trolley tour in Key West just drives you past the places. I want to go in and look around and also my daughter wants to go to the pirate museum. Im worried about canceling the excusion to do it on our own only to find out its harder than I thought to get around.

Ive got some other questions but I will post them over on the reg cruise board.

Im just beyond excited!!!!!

Melora - you can easily do the Conch Train or Trolley tour on your own. When you get off the boat just ask where they sell the tickets and you will have no problem. We did this before. We did the train and it did not stop. It was pretty boring for the kids. We got off at the halfway point and didn't get back on. We are going to do Key West on our own again this time. Good luck!

Also, if you don't get your docs soon you may want to go ahead and checkin online. That way you only have one form to bring and you will have to fill in the Bahamas immigration forms at the port.

UMTerp

Melora - I have a 6 year old daughter.

Is the 3:00 at Goofy's the wine tasting? I'll fly by the seat of my pants on that one!

Plan to shop tomorrow for clothes.

Still in a quandrey about what to do at Grand Cayman. But here's a tip from a friend - he said "best snorkeling, bar none" -- Paradise Restaurant - $12, just to the right of the doc.

Good morning everyone!

lak - No, the 3:00 at Goofy's Galley on Saturday (boarding day) is for everyone (including family) to get to know everyone. We are planning on the wine tasting for 2:00 on the second sea day if you are interestsed.

I am so torn about Cozumel! I want to go to Paradise Beach because of all of the great things I've read but I'm afraid it going to be packed by the time we get there since our ship is the last one in that day. Maybe we will go there and if it's too crowded get a taxi to Playa Mia instead. What's everyone else thinking?

Packed yet?

UMTerp

Well finally got the shore excursions figured out.

I cancelled the trolley ride in Key West. I want to be able to stop and spend some time at the different places.

I decided last minute to try to get a Stingray excursion for the kids only to have a lot of trouble booking it on line for Castaway Cay. They only allowed me to book part of our party. :confused3

I figured I would book a independant tour that I heard great things about for Grand Cayman but didnt really want to snorkel afterwards when we could be sight seeing. I was torn as to what to do but logged back onto the Disney site this morning and they suddenly let me book the rest of our party for the Stingray experience on Castaway Cay at 2PM. :cool1:

So we kept the island tour and butterfly farm on Grand Cayman.

We are going to Tulum when we dock at Cozumel.

Now I have got to figure out how to pack all these dang clothes. I REALLY dont want to have to wash while Im there....

What are you all going to do????

Good Morning everyone,

I'm bumping us back to page 1.

I just read a personal account of what happened on that cruise ship which caught fire. OMG! My thoughts and prayers are with everyone on that cruise. :grouphug: I hope they catch whoever was responsible for that fire.

On a happier note, our docs came. :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana: :woohoo: :banana: No upgrade this time. :sad2: One can hope!

Two weeks from today, we'll be boarding. :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :banana:

Have a great weekend

Pocono

Hello everyone! Two weeks and counting! Hooray!

Pocono - congrats on docs!

Have a great weekend!

UMTerp

Just stoppiong in to say hi. I got home late Thursday pm. DD's docs are still not here - they were sent last week. UPS shows them as being in Chantilly (less than 5 miles from here) for the last 4 days. They should be delivered Monday. Someone mentioned they needed their DOCS forwared - they are sent UPS not USPS and will not forward. I am not worried about DD's docs - worse comes to worse I will fill out the bahama form at the prot. We have already checked in online and 1 don't need her luggage tags.

I leave for Tampa Monday am and come home Friday. I have started pulling a few things together but will pack next weekend. Hard to believe 2 weeks from now we will have been to scoops and the lifeboat drill be almost be starting.

I am going to call the Raddison to see if I can get a spot on the first shuttle - the discount room I booked months ago said that the first shuttle may be excluded - depending on demand. I am considering arranging for a cab to take up to the port.

We have the sub booked through Disney for Cozumel. I still don't have plans if we end up in Costa Maya.

Melora - Native Way tours has just an island tour in Grand Cayman (or they did when I contacted them a few months ago). Also my understanding is that the Key West Old Town Trolley provides on and off access if you don't want to walk. There is a web site with details of several options in Key West
for Historic Tours Of America:

http://shophta.com/acb/stores/15/keywestprod.asp?SID=15&Category_ID=7

I have never used them but a thread about 8 months ago pointed me there. It is the same company that does the trolley here in DC and the one in Boston.

We'll be on the Magic on April 8 through the western Caribbean. It's DH's and my second cruise, our son (who will turn 16 on the cruise) has never been on a cruise. He's a bit nervous. Our first cruise was the mediterranean with Seabourne. Never been on a DCL!

I'm really looking forward to this. I guess I understand you have to reserve your shore excursions prior to the cruise? I better get bee-zee!

Deb

Welcome Sassy, glad to hear you will be joining us for this trip. You don't have to book all your excursions before boarding. You can book excursions online or once you are onboard. I suggest that you book what you already know you want to do. Some of the more popular excursions will be booked before you get on the ship. DCL does have some spaces for those booked excursions saved for those wishing to book excurisions while onboard. You should keep in mind that DCL doesn't have to wait for you if you are late in returning from a privately booked excursion. Um and some of the others have private excursions booked and are probably a good source of info.

Va glad to hear from you. Have a safe trip to Florida! :sunny:

Anyone having dinner at Grills the night before the cruise? I think we're going to Downtown Disney (we need that Disney World fix even though we're not going to the parks this trip) for lunch on Friday and then Grills for dinner.

Not packed yet!

Pocono

PS DD wants to know if there are any 12 yr old girls on this trip?

Um,

You mentioined the Bahama form to be filled out at the Port, we got our Bahama forms with our docs. I was surprised to see them in the envelope. New docs are so different from previous trips. I guess DCL is trying to save on the cost of printing and shipping of docs.

Pocono

Thanks so much for the info. I'll make a few reservations online, then see what we want to do on the trip.

My son is concerned that there won't be any teens on the cruise. I told there there would be a few. :rotfl2: I'm not sure we are going to see him that week!

We are flying in the night before and staying at the Hyatt. We get in very late (9:30 p.m.) so guess we'll see everyone on board.

Silly questions: Do we bring wine from home for the wine tasting? My DH collects wine. (I collect whine!). Question #2: Do cell phones work on board?

Add us to the wine tasting!

NOW I'm excited! :yay:
Deb

Welcome SassyGirl!

Pocono - I agree about the docs. We got our Bahamas forms in there too. I wonder why we can't just do that online too? Interesting. We probably won't go to Grills on Friday night. We will be at KSC all day and will probably not get back in time to beat the crowds at Grills. We tried to eat there last time at 6PM or so and it was packed!

Vavasmon - You must be a vetern traveler and packer! I've never heard about a limitation on the first shuttle at the Radisson. I hope you get on!

Wine Tasting list
UMTerp & DH - 2
Pocono & DH - 2
Vavasmon & DH - 2
Polly P & DH - 2
for the wine tasting. For anyone new to the thread, we are planning to have an informal wine tasting for anyone who's interested at 2:00PM on the second sea day. Each 2-3 people should bring their favorite/local wine and a description to share. We can get some cheese platters and snacks and try the different wines. Anyone else interested?

See ya soon!

UMTerp

Hi Everyone

Just finished with dd's birthday party for her friends. We had a luau. It was fun.

I'm starting to feel stressed a bit. No docs yet, not packed yet.

I leave for Ocean City on Friday morning :cheer2: and won't return until about midnight Sunday. And we are supposed to fly out on Thursday. Not to mention that lacrosse tryouts are this week for ds. And everything else they are still doing. I have no idea when I'm supposed to pack and go shopping for clothes for me. I'm sure it will all work out. It always does.

Sassy-I have two teenagers, dd15 and ds13. My neighbors have a dd14 going also. Your ds will find teens to hang with. :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Sounds like everyone is busy packing. My neighbor may be joining us for the wine tasting. We will most likely buy our wine in FL. DH is giving me a hard time about bringing anything extra in carry ons for the plane. :furious:

Gotta get back to the laundrry.

Lori

Ok, this is a really dumb question, but I have preregistered the kids for club online and now I can't find the registration page. Where do I do this?

Pocono

Hi Pocono! I'm at work (don't have my conf # with me) but from memory... I went to My Cruise Plans (or something like that) where you have your excursions, Palo ressies, etc. There was a tab for kids registration. Click on that tab and you should find the forms. Let me know if that doesn't work for you and I'll try to find it at home.

Just found out yesterday that the Block Island Shuttle that we planned on using at Key West only does charters now. We wanted to go to the butterfly place but not sure we want to walk the 1 1/4 mile each way. We'll have to play it by ear.

Have a great day!

UMTerp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter