Another possible drowning - Disney Fantasy ******UPDATE

I just can't stop thinking about little Chase!

Hope that he will get better soon! And that his family get to take him to their home state....!
Think about him - and his family - alot, and read every update on Facebook.
Pray that Chase will prove the nurses wrong and that he will recover!

I am constantly thinking and praying about Chase, too. :hug:

We took DD3 and DD4 (at the time) on the Magic about 9 years ago. I dressed them in brightly-colored bathing suits, the same color, so I could more easily keep my eyes on them in the VERY crowded pool. They were in the Mickey pool, which was very shallow, when I saw DD4 slip and slide under on her back. To my horror, she did not resurface - she panicked and did not know that she needed to put her feet underneath her to stand back up. I jumped into that pool fully-clothed and with my shoes on to pull her back up.

I never thought I would have to worry about them in such a shallow pool, but it goes to show that accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere.

Um, no. Every baby who falls into a pool goes under. Try jumping in the pool and not going under, it doesn't work. For a baby to swim back to the surface and flip, takes about as long as it would for you to jump in and rescue them.

Your baby isn't going to drown in the amount of time it takes you to jump in the pool. That's not what "seconds matter" means.

The ISR program is pretty controversial. It's not something I would do with my child.

I agree, I as just going to ask why would she have had to call 911 if she was right there, why wouldn't you jump in and get her...no need for 911 in that case.

lillygator said:
I agree, I as just going to ask why would she have had to call 911 if she was right there, why wouldn't you jump in and get her...no need for 911 in that case.

I reread the original statement, I wasnt reading it wrong afterall. I missed the part where she said she was standing next to her DD. In the case, ya, you dont need 911 if youre right there, just grab her.

My interpretation is baby saved herself, before Mom reached the child. She may have been able to "get her", but how much water would she have swallowed?

I'm hoping that Chase has a total recovery.

On a side note, why doesn't all children (supervised or unsupervised) wear those arm band floaty things so they couldn't drown. You can buy them at the dollar store.

On a side note, why doesn't all children (supervised or unsupervised) wear those arm band floaty things so they couldn't drown. You can buy them at the dollar store.

Actually, those make drowning (in some situations) much easier. First, because people think that they are floatation devices and protection from drowning (like you do) and, thus, let their guard down around their children. Secondly, all they do is keep arms above water (since they are on the arms). I've seen more than one child with their head under the water and their arms (with arm bands on them) sticking out of the water. With the arm bands on, even if they could swim/tread water, they are in trouble since it is really hard to get their arms back down and into the water (in order to try to swim/tread water).

Definitely not something that means "they couldn't drown". And definitely not something I will ever put on my child (or any child I'm supervising in the water).

mickeymom923 said:

I agree! But on a side note, those arm floaties suck. I think the body suit with a padded floatie built in it is much better. I can't remember the name for it, but you know what I mean right?

It's sad how judgemental some people are being. I've read the care pages and the fb page and these parents are heartbroken but so strong and positive regarding their son's progress. There's a lot of guessing and assuming going on based on misinformation. The little boy, Chase, is 4. His siblings have returned home with family members and his parents remain with him at the hospital. They are working toward being able to move him to a hospital in their home state. I read in another post that seemed reputable this was a multi-family vacation which is why the parents were not with the little boy but it appears that he was not purposely left alone. These are not bad parents. Please, be careful when you judge - especially when you don't have all the information. People say a lot of things online - that does NOT make it true.

And, another thing - I've been in that pool - on the Fantasy - and it's crazy crowded. Especially on embarkation day! In fact, we didn't spend a lot of time in it because it was so crowded. I was actually a bit surprised with the amount of guests at it's smaller size. You absolutely can't get in and not get kicked - So the fact that this little boy got lost momentarily in the pool is not surprising. It is, however, terribly heartbreaking. Thank God there were people that got to him quickly and were able to help him. I will continue to pray for Chase and his family and I hope others do too.

:grouphug:

After seeing an arm floatie float right off a kids arm in the deep end, I decided to go with Coast Guard approved life jackets, the kind that have straps around the chest and one through the crotch (we didn't have those one piece suits with the blocks in them.) The only one who had trouble with that was Christian. He couldn't keep his head upright for several years. We had to get him a special needs thing that wrapped around his body and forced him upright.

What I don't get is why a parent would have to jump into the pool, except when a kid just falls or jumps in unexpectedly. I have NEVER allowed my kids to be in the pool without one of us in there with them, until they were about 8-10 and strong swimmers. And I am never more than arm's length from Christian. Despite that caution, each one of my kids had one episode of going to the bottom and not coming up, requiring me to react immediately. I shudder to think what might have happened if my attention had been momentarily elsewhere.

Interestingly on facebook today John Heald -- the spokesman for Carnival -- was asking for opinions. Seems a kid was using a flotation device, one shaped like a ring, in the pool. Kid did not know how to swim and a Carnival employee told him he wasn't allowed to use the ring in the pool. The mom was angry because she wanted the kid to be able to use the device in the pool.

Most people thought it was a bad idea . . .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DISBoards

Interestingly on facebook today John Heald -- the spokesman for Carnival -- was asking for opinions. Seems a kid was using a flotation device, one shaped like a ring, in the pool. Kid did not know how to swim and a Carnival employee told him he wasn't allowed to use the ring in the pool. The mom was angry because she wanted the kid to be able to use the device in the pool.

Most people thought it was a bad idea . . .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DISBoards

It's a terrible idea! Wet kids can slip right through that ring! I've seen it happen. And the pools on cruise ships are so busy it would be very easy to overlook a small child sitting on the bottom of a pool. I say props to the lifeguard for doing the right thing. Mom is a moron.

Actually, those make drowning (in some situations) much easier. First, because people think that they are floatation devices and protection from drowning (like you do) and, thus, let their guard down around their children. Secondly, all they do is keep arms above water (since they are on the arms). I've seen more than one child with their head under the water and their arms (with arm bands on them) sticking out of the water. With the arm bands on, even if they could swim/tread water, they are in trouble since it is really hard to get their arms back down and into the water (in order to try to swim/tread water).

Definitely not something that means "they couldn't drown". And definitely not something I will ever put on my child (or any child I'm supervising in the water).

I agree. I bucked the AAP advice and had my kids in swim lessons starting around their first birthdays, same as my mom did for me when I was a baby. And all three of my kids can swim, could from 3 or 4 years old. But the middle child had a scary incident with those things in a friend's backyard pool. I won't buy them (I was a lifeguard when I was younger and our training talked extensively about the dangers of such "false security" devices) so of course she jumped at the chance to play with her friend's. She drifted/floated into the deep end, where the water was a few inches over her head, and couldn't keep her head above water or swim effectively because of the floaties lifting her arms without lifting the rest of her. It was a minor incident with no harm done because her friend's parents were right there in the pool with the kids (she was 6 or 7), but she never asked for dollar store floaties again.

I agree. I bucked the AAP advice and had my kids in swim lessons starting around their first birthdays, same as my mom did for me when I was a baby .

Thankfully, they've changed their opinion.:thumbsup2

When my girls were little they used the arm floaties, but only in the shallow end of the pool with a grown up standing there to supervise. They started swim lessons at day camp when the older one was 4 1/2 and the younger one was a week shy of her third birthday. Nothing substitutes for adequate supervision, of course, but the more they know . . .especially since my parents have a pool.

Now my older daughter is a teacher and has a summer job at a day camp as a counselor. Although the lifeguard/ swim instructor is in charge, my daughter also has to supervise kids in the pool. The more adult eyes on those kids, the better . . .

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DISBoards

I see children wearing them so I thought they worked. Thanks for letting me know NOT to ever buy/use them.

Swim rings are a TOY. My niece was using one last Dec. and decided she was bored with it and flipped out. She started to drown and thank God my son was a couple of feet away and grabbed her.

I just read that Chase is going home. Prayers to the family that he recovers.

I hope that his parents don't read here I would hate that they saw the comments made about them after suffering this tragic accident. If you want parents to blame and hate there is a trial going on her deciding whether or not a father was insane when he killed his 3 girls last summer. Also we just had a Mom kill her 2 kids and herself. And a man just got arrested for letting his 2 year old wander the streets with a bottle of booze. Save your blame and hated for those so called parents, not the ones who have become victims of any parents worst nightmare.

when they say going home? home home or transferred to a hospital close to home? has he improved?

when they say going home? home home or transferred to a hospital close to home? has he improved?

They're being transferred to a hospital in MN, their home state. Apparently the got some bad news on the extent of his brain damage this morning, but they have a really positive attitude about it. Please pray for this family.

I just read the update. Extension damage was done to the brain. The part that Poor poor kid. It breaks my heart.

Here's a snippet for those interested:

The is Basel Ganglia area was damaged. This is the area that controls motor programming, movement, tremors, dystonia- basically the area that controls his arms, legs, fingers and most motor skills. The Internal Cbapsnee was also damaged. this is the are of his bran that controls his temp, heart rate, respiratory rate, thirst, hunger, sweating...ect. This explains what we are seeing medically- with all of the fluctuations. His Reticular Activating System was damaged- the area that effects his sleep/ wake cycle, and is optical lobs....or eye sight. Lets face it, we all knew our Warrior had some damaged up there. But he is a fighter, and he has all of us behind him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter