Another possible drowning - Disney Fantasy ******UPDATE

Tragic, just tragic. But not an accident! It was a death by drowning. Given the circumstances, an unsupervised kid playing around a crowded pool, it was an event that could be anticipated. It was certainly,preventable, even with no lifeguard on duty.

I haven't heard he died.

Would you be more happy with incident?

Let's all change the event to a possible anticipated preventable tragic incident. There.

Hope you never have one.

Tragic, just tragic. But not an accident! It was a death by drowning. Given the circumstances, an unsupervised kid playing around a crowded pool, it was an event that could be anticipated. It was certainly,preventable, even with no lifeguard on duty.
It was a tragic accident.
The following was posted yesterday on another Disney message board; it was written by a relative of the family and is in response to the negative remarks that were on the thread. They do also give thanks to those who have been supportive:

Shame on you....shame on all of you who have passed judgment on people you don't know, and a situation you were nowhere near. I am a relative of this family and until now, I thought people like you were not worth the time and effort to give a response. This was a terrible, tragic ACCIDENT, that is all. Sorry to disappoint you and give you nothing to gossip about to others. Chase's parents are two of the most God-loving, diligent parents I know, who are deeply involved in every aspect of their children's' lives. Do you understand that if they were doing the things you accuse them of, such as drinking and not being watchful, that the authorities would have acted on this? If all of you are such avid cruisers as you claim, you would certainly know that when a ship leaves port, there are thousands of people on the upper decks, swimming, drinking, tanning, and taking in the whole experience. Chase was a sweet and active little four-year old boy who slipped away from his parents and got lost in the crowd. They didn't just "suddenly become aware" that he was missing when he had been pulled from the pool. They didn't allow him to go into a pool without them. They didn't leave the two older siblings to watch him. The truth is that they had been searching for him that ENTIRE time he was missing!!! Can you imagine the panic and fear any parent would feel during that time? Another item to point out, Chase was believed to have been underwater for 10-15 minutes and not a single person, staff or guest, noticed. NOT ONE!!! Does this not clearly point out the large number of people and commotion in that area at the time of the accident?? Chase fought for his life and survived. He now has a long battle ahead of him with a grim outlook. People like you are not helping the cause. I believe in the power of voicing opinions and the internet. You are entitled to your "opinion" but just as human beings, I beg you to be responsible about the things you say. I pray to God that they never see the horrible things posted on this thread. For those of you who supported them this last week, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/so-sad.862525/page-4

CPT Tripss said:

In order for you to pass that judgment you would have to know the details of the incident. And since you already have misinformation in your statement I am guessing that you were not there when the boy was injured and that you do not know how it happened.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DISBoards

Truthfully some people are just nosy. They hide their desire to know what happened by claiming compassion and finding a way to avoid something like this in the future.

This family has enough to deal with. They don't need nosy questions and ignorant comments.

Definitely. People have this weird desire to know details and hide it with weak excuses.

In order for you to pass that judgment you would have to know the details of the incident. And since you already have misinformation in your statement I am guessing that you were not there when the boy was injured and that you do not know how it happened.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DISBoards

Geez. The post you quoted just proves the point we are trying to make. Passing judgement about an accident. Even better that they have wrong information and other information that they don't know to be true.

This is tragic news. I feel for this family, and I hope he makes a full recovery.

I don't think there needs to be lifeguards on the ships. What they should have though is a CM always at the pools to help control the area. The pools are crazy busy. When I was in the deeper pool, on the Fantasy, with my 8 and 4 yr old kids. The pool was packed and you still had the brats trying to jump in, when there is no room to do so. There are parents everywhere, but a lot of them are too busy laying in their lounge chairs drinking to care what heir kids are doing.

Now before I get yelled at, I am not saying this is what happened with the parents of this poor kid. I have no idea and it doesn't really matter right now. What matters is Chase to make a full recovery. What I am saying is the CM's or security needs to control the pool better. Kids will be kids, especially if they are left alone with none or minimal supervision.

What a horrible thing to say! Every one of my kids ended up at the bottom of the pool as toddlers - 4 of them I saw immediately, 1 was rescued by a lifeguard (I had turned my back for a second to get his sister out of the pool, and he jumped in). It happens so quickly, and is so silent.

I grew up with a pool, and spent summers at my grandparents' beach house. My parents made us take year-round swim lessons until we were very strong swimmers, and I did them same with my kids (my twins participated in a swim-a-thon at the age of 4, where they swam continuous laps for an hour).

I feel so horrible for these parents, but in no way blame them.

First, I just read Chase's caring bridge site. What a tragic accident! From what I can gather, the family was in the area of the pool w/ their suits on, but Chase slipped away from them in the crowds, they were actively looking for him when they got to the actual pool w/ people already working on him (??) I could be wrong about the last part. Anyway, he slipped away from them in a crowd... could happen to anyone. Kids slip away from parents all the time. My heart is broken for this family.

We haven't been on a disney cruise yet, but the other lines we've been on (RCCL, NCL and Celebrity), most of the pools are just accidents waiting to happen. On RCCL and NCL, the kids AND parents goofing around w/ them in the pool are just completely out of control. We tried a few times to enjoy the pools, but usually had to get out, because of dads throwing kids around, teens jumping in and out, with their parents right there doing the same. We were honestly shocked at the atmosphere, and the stupidity of the parents. Who the heck throws a kid in a 8' x 12' pool, with 15 other people in there?? I seriously felt like we were on candid camera, it was that unbelievable. One parent threw his teen onto a small child, in the pool, and could care less.

The only line that was completely IN control of the pool was Celebrity. While at the pool one day, a few teen boys starting jumping and goofing, and a worker came over soooo fast and told them no jumping or get out. He was firm about it, and I was SO impressed! The teens left after a few minutes.

It's like some people have never seen a pool before and just go insane.

Seems, some missed this.

The following was posted yesterday on another Disney message board; it was written by a relative of the family and is in response to the negative remarks that were on the thread. They do also give thanks to those who have been supportive:

Shame on you....shame on all of you who have passed judgment on people you don't know, and a situation you were nowhere near. I am a relative of this family and until now, I thought people like you were not worth the time and effort to give a response. This was a terrible, tragic ACCIDENT, that is all. Sorry to disappoint you and give you nothing to gossip about to others. Chase's parents are two of the most God-loving, diligent parents I know, who are deeply involved in every aspect of their children's' lives. Do you understand that if they were doing the things you accuse them of, such as drinking and not being watchful, that the authorities would have acted on this? If all of you are such avid cruisers as you claim, you would certainly know that when a ship leaves port, there are thousands of people on the upper decks, swimming, drinking, tanning, and taking in the whole experience. Chase was a sweet and active little four-year old boy who slipped away from his parents and got lost in the crowd. They didn't just "suddenly become aware" that he was missing when he had been pulled from the pool. They didn't allow him to go into a pool without them. They didn't leave the two older siblings to watch him. The truth is that they had been searching for him that ENTIRE time he was missing!!! Can you imagine the panic and fear any parent would feel during that time? Another item to point out, Chase was believed to have been underwater for 10-15 minutes and not a single person, staff or guest, noticed. NOT ONE!!! Does this not clearly point out the large number of people and commotion in that area at the time of the accident?? Chase fought for his life and survived. He now has a long battle ahead of him with a grim outlook. People like you are not helping the cause. I believe in the power of voicing opinions and the internet. You are entitled to your "opinion" but just as human beings, I beg you to be responsible about the things you say. I pray to God that they never see the horrible things posted on this thread. For those of you who supported them this last week, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/so-sad.862525/page-4

Its so sad family members are seeing these mean negative comments.

It makes the situation so much worse for them.

HOW DARE ANYONE JUDGE THEM!!!!!

God bless this beautiful family and their precious child.

Its so sad family members are seeing these mean negative comments.

It makes the situation so much worse for them.

HOW DARE ANYONE JUDGE THEM!!!!!

God bless this beautiful family and their precious child.

I think it is incredibly odd that family members are seeing and reading these negative comments to begin with. They would have to search out these stories and message boards in order to find them. Aside from the information that came out the first day, it isn't like this is headline news on most major sites anymore. I just went and checked four major news sites and it isn't even on their front page. It seems like the family would have much better things to do than search out comments on message boards. And before anyone gets up in arms, I am not blaming them for anything related to the drowning. I honestly don't know all the details. I do know that it serves no purpose for them to read threads like this and I think they should avoid them, which isn't hard to do.

. Given the circumstances, an unsupervised kid playing around a crowded pool, it was an event that could be anticipated. It was certainly,preventable, even with no lifeguard on duty.
Be careful of judging. My son nearly drowned in my arms. I was holding him in the ocean, close to the beach shore in waist deep water. The current moved us and we got caught in a rip tide. He was 50 pounds and thrashing around and we both went under. It was incredibly scary, and it happened in an instant. If my MIL and a lifeguard hadn't been there, we'd both be dead.

Accidents happen. They can happen to all of us.

I think it is incredibly odd that family members are seeing and reading these negative comments to begin with. They would have to search out these stories and message boards in order to find them. Aside from the information that came out the first day, it isn't like this is headline news on most major sites anymore. I just went and checked four major news sites and it isn't even on their front page. It seems like the family would have much better things to do than search out comments on message boards. And before anyone gets up in arms, I am not blaming them for anything related to the drowning. I honestly don't know all the details. I do know that it serves no purpose for them to read threads like this and I think they should avoid them, which isn't hard to do.

They wouldn't be searching them out if they are regular readers of that site. Take this place for instance there are thousands of people that are registered that never post, it wouldn't surprise me if a family member knew about this site also.

They wouldn't be searching them out if they are regular readers of that site. Take this place for instance there are thousands of people that are registered that never post, it wouldn't surprise me if a family member knew about this site also.

But why read it???? That is on them, sorry. It is time for them to step away from the computer. Considering the horrific situation they are continuing to go through, reading unflattering messages on the internet will not help their state of mind. They can't control what others think or say.

They wouldn't have to search for random comments on a message board; they're being posted on the family's personal Facebook page.

How could they not? There are negative posts on their facebook page. Granted most of them are positive and those are great to read but people don't start their posts warning they are blaming the parents. I don't see how this could be ignored.

I've been following the updates on the family's Facebook page and there have been posts where people have mentioned threads on other websites- I've even seen this thread referenced with multiple questioning for the parents to explain what happened, (paraphrasing) "people on the disboards are wondering where the parents were when the accident happened", "we still haven't had our question answered for the disboards as to what happened."

From seeing this, I'm not surprised that they are aware of some threads and have read them

But why read it???? That is on them, sorry. It is time for them to step away from the computer. Considering the horrific situation they are continuing to go through, reading unflattering messages on the internet will not help their state of mind. They can't control what others think or say.

Unfortunately, someone needs to monitor the Facebook page at least because people have been posting nasty things on there and at least one identified themselves as being on the disboards.

They wouldn't have to search for random comments on a message board; they're being posted on the family's personal Facebook page.

How could they not? There are negative posts on their facebook page. Granted most of them are positive and those are great to read but people don't start their posts warning they are blaming the parents. I don't see how this could be ignored.

How would that even be possible if their FB was set to PRIVATE??? Oh wait, it isn't. We teach our children to set their FB pages to private, yet these adults have chosen not to do the same thing. Sorry, but that is their problem. If, God forbid, something horrific happened to my children, the only people who could post on my wall are my small group of friends and relatives. If one of them posted something negative, I would delete the comment immediately and block that person. This isn't rocket science. They are inviting more drama into their lives than they need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter