Another possible drowning - Disney Fantasy ******UPDATE

Frankly, I think our cultural discomfort with accidents and things outside our control lead us to look for a systemic answer to every freak occurrence. The conversation about the 13yo who drowned at Pop was ridiculously similar to the conversation on this thread - berating a lack of parenting and calling for round the clock lifeguards - so it clearly isn't just an issue of the child's age. It is the generally risk-adverse mindset of our society. No matter how old the child, the conversation automatically seems to turn to finding fault and placing blame rather than accepting/understanding that sometimes accidents just happen.

The same common sense that tells us a 4yo needs to be supervised around water should also remind us that preschoolers are unpredictable and have a way of getting away from their parents at times. Since the parents were in the pool area and reportedly in their swimsuits when they left the ship, they probably weren't letting the kid swim without them - more likely, Dad thought the child was with Mom and Mom thought he was with Dad, or he simply slipped away in the chaos of the sail-away party and they didn't find him quickly enough.

I dont disagree that even with a 4 year old you can have a true accident, but you can also have parents who were not properly supervising their child for the age they are and for the risk involved.

This may truly have been as you described, each parent thought the other had him or there was chaos and he slipped away and this accident occurred but there are parents out there who are not as vilgiliant as they shoud be with their children at certain ages around certain risks.

The investigation and interviews will tell the story, whether we ever hear it is another thing.

There are always going to be accidents. We, as parents, have to decide how much freedom to give our kids. By making good judgments, we can try to cut down on the possibility of accidents happening. And those judgments will change depending on a child's age.
When my now 19 y/o dd was 3, she wasn't allowed to play unsupervised in the yard. She didn't get to go into a body of water without someone right there with her. When she got to be 5, she was allowed to play in the backyard, with me in the back of the house. It's a safe area, so not too concerned. But she still had to have someone in the water with her. Fast forward to the age of 10. When we would go to pools, she was allowed to swim along...and by that I mean, no one in the water with her. But, she was being monitored from poolside, or on the beach. She was a strong swimmer, even back then. And yes, accidents happen, but you have to loosen the parental ropes somewhere along the line.
She got to be 13....went to WDW. She was allowed to wander the parks alone, with her girlfriend. They were allowed to return to BWV alone and hang in the room. But that was for a few hours only.

You have to look at the possibilities of 'stuff' happening and then decide how much leeway to give the child. You can't be a helicopter parent for the first 15 years of life and then suddenly just say 'go for it kid!' and turn them loose and expect good decisions to be made. You have to give them bits of freedom along the way, and allow them to make mistakes in order to figure out how to make good choices.

We have so many parents now that are scared to death of something happening to their kids that they hover, constantly. They don't allow their kids to mess up, they don't allow them to 'lose'. Everything has to be perfect in their child's life. And that's just not real life. So, while I'm certainly not advocating leaving a 4 y/o alone at a swimming pool, it's not a stretch that leaving a 10 y/o alone could happen. You have to give your child the tools they need in life.....you can't just assume that it will just 'come to them' and they'll make great choices. So, that comment about risk adverse comment is spot on.
We need to realize that bad crap happens to good people. That little boy that was riding his bike over in FtW and got hit by the bus??? It was an accident. The little boy that drowned at Pop? Again, a horrific accident.

Believe me, I'm not the mom that lets her kids go willy nilly about, assuming that life will be perfect and nothing bad will happen to them. I'm the idiot mother that has stressed constantly about the fact that the Mt Hope Bridge is right by my dd's dorm. And I'm positive that she's going to end up falling off that bridge and dying!! Now, understand....there is no reason for my dd to be walking across that bridge, and she has a huge fear of heights. But, still I worry. And I worry about the stupidist things. But I try to keep those worries to myself so I don't stifle my kids. They have to be allowed to go out and find their way. IF they make mistakes along the way (and they will!) I can only hope they are fixable mistakes and that we have given them the tools they need to make just small mistakes.

This whole blaming the parents every time something bad happens to a child? It's got to stop. Sure, there are going to be times that the parent could have done a better job. But most of the time? It's just a horrific accident that just 'happened'.

Here come the tears again. Putting a face on this sweet child...

Prayers and positive thoughts continue.

According to the Facebook page the little boy is doing better and better - and is now breathing on his own! So amazing!
I keep praying for his recovery! Can't imagine what the family are going through right now.
It is just a horrible and tragic accident....

This whole blaming the parents every time something bad happens to a child? It's got to stop. Sure, there are going to be times that the parent could have done a better job. But most of the time? It's just a horrific accident that just 'happened'.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

According to the Facebook page the little boy is doing better and better - and is now breathing on his own! So amazing!
I keep praying for his recovery! Can't imagine what the family are going through right now.
It is just a horrible and tragic accident....

Thanks for the update. I'm really glad to hear the boy is doing better. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. May this all be a distant memory with no lasting effects for this family.

I would highly encourage anyone with a child age 5 and under to consider taking their child to ISR swim lessons. It is basically survival swimming for young children. We have done it every year since ODD was 13 months old.

Most drownings occur when people are around. And it happens quietly...not noisily like in the movies. My mom was very much against ISR for ODD but a couple of months after her lessons finished, she accidentally fell into the pool (and I was RIGHT next to her...she slipped on the pool deck). Because of her ISR training, my then 17 month old had already flipped over and was floating before I could jump in and get her.

If it had not been for ISR, I would have had to call 911.

To add, demanding that the world be 100% safe and corporations must have ever possible fail safe available, has to stop as well. People need to take personal responsibility and understand life has risks.

Please remember, this brave little man is fighting very hard and has a difficult road to recovery. There are regular updates on his FB. He needs our prayers and positive thoughts.

To add, demanding that the world be 100% safe and corporations must have ever possible fail safe available, has to stop as well. People need to take personal responsibility and understand life has risks.

Thank God, someone was there, that knew what to do...and wasn't concerned with "liability".

I would highly encourage anyone with a child age 5 and under to consider taking their child to ISR swim lessons. It is basically survival swimming for young children. We have done it every year since ODD was 13 months old.

Most drownings occur when people are around. And it happens quietly...not noisily like in the movies. My mom was very much against ISR for ODD but a couple of months after her lessons finished, she accidentally fell into the pool (and I was RIGHT next to her...she slipped on the pool deck). Because of her ISR training, my then 17 month old had already flipped over and was floating before I could jump in and get her.

If it had not been for ISR, I would have had to call 911.

Why wouldn't you have just jumped in and grabbed her?

I've been reading Chase's facebook page. Poor kid, slow progress. He's breathing on his own but they say most likely he's not progressing because of the brain damage. The nurses have said that this could be as good as it gets. :( However, you just never know. The lord works in mysterious ways. He just might be up and about before we know it. So keep those prayers and positive thoughts coming. :goodvibes

Then why would she have needed to call 911? I'm not seeing the benefit of the ISR here.

The child would have gone under, before mom could have grabbed her. She didn't need to call 911 because of ISR. Remember seconds matter.

The child would have gone under, before mom could have grabbed her. She didn't need to call 911 because of ISR. Remember seconds matter.

I think the other poster and I misunderstood what ISR actually is...didnt realise that since she was floating (on her back), she was doing what she was taught in ISR class. We read it a whole different way. Thanks for clarifying!

Um, no. Every baby who falls into a pool goes under. Try jumping in the pool and not going under, it doesn't work. For a baby to swim back to the surface and flip, takes about as long as it would for you to jump in and rescue them.

Your baby isn't going to drown in the amount of time it takes you to jump in the pool. That's not what "seconds matter" means.

The ISR program is pretty controversial. It's not something I would do with my child.

My daughter did the ISR when she just turned 3. It was unbelievable traumatic for all of us, at the time I was feeling like I regretted what we had gotten into. She hated it and I was sick to my stomach over putting her thru it!!! Shortly after we were all in the pool one day and she fell off a boat and before we could get to her she got herself back to the surface and was floating on her back exactly like she had been taught, it was like a reflex, and then was able to grab back onto the boat. That was the only time I saw her having to use that skill in a spontaneous situation but it did impress me. I do think on her last lesson they literally threw her in with her clothes and sneakers on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter