• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I The Only Dummy To Buy DCL Trip Insurance?

Wow, some of the prices you are quoting here are great deals.....
Why can't I find them?:confused3
The best quote I have found is $340 for a family of 5, insuring for $6000 trip.
Disney is a bit more, around $390.

Where are you guys getting $188 for a family of 5? (first few pages of this post).

Are guys quoting medical insurance?
All we need is trip cancelations/ interruptions....which by the way is more then medical. Can't get preexisting conditions as w made our deposit over a month ago.
I have tried all the websites in the links on here......can't figure it out?

Wow, some of the prices you are quoting here are great deals.....
Why can't I find them?:confused3
The best quote I have found is $340 for a family of 5, insuring for $6000 trip.
Disney is a bit more, around $390.

Where are you guys getting $188 for a family of 5? (first few pages of this post).

Are guys quoting medical insurance?
All we need is trip cancelations/ interruptions....which by the way is more then medical. Can't get preexisting conditions as w made our deposit over a month ago.
I have tried all the websites in the links on here......can't figure it out?

If you haven't done your final payment yet, you can try CSA, and they will cover pre-existing conditions if you book them within 24 hours of your final payment:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

Hi

I have a travel credit card that covers everything, do somebody have that as well?

We have used travelsafe for the majority of our last few cruises/vacations.

For our upcoming cruise though we opted to go with DCL coverage- the cost was ~$300 for $11,000 of coverage for 6-
main reason was we also did disney air since it was pricing out cheaper as well, and hotel night & transfers were also included with the air. the medical coverage is definitely not as great as what we have had with travelsafe, I thought about getting a little additional medical- but never did. I still might, its on todo list

We have used travelsafe for the majority of our last few cruises/vacations.

For our upcoming cruise though we opted to go with DCL coverage- the cost was ~$300 for $11,000 of coverage for 6-
main reason was we also did disney air since it was pricing out cheaper as well, and hotel night & transfers were also included with the air. the medical coverage is definitely not as great as what we have had with travelsafe, I thought about getting a little additional medical- but never did. I still might, its on todo list

Are you sure that quote includes everyone? That's a really low quote for 6 people from DLC FOR $11000!
I was quoted $390 for $6000 for 5 of us.....
This is what I'm not getting......
Why are some quotes so much lower then others?

Are you sure that quote includes everyone? That's a really low quote for 6 people from DLC FOR $11000!

I was surprised at the quote- but I confirmed w/ 3 different people- 2 agents on the DCL 800 # & also guest services- they said the quotes are based on the cruise fare and not the combined fare of cruise & Disney air + transfers, so since our cruise portion was a huge bargain & the air was a bit pricey the insurance quote was low. I confirmed that even though the quote is based off the cruise, that I was insured for the entire purchase cruise, air, transfers and was assured yes all was included?

I asked 3 times and was told the same info- does anyone know if this sounds correct?

We paid $300 for $4000 for 4 of us so your quote seems to fit in with ours somewhat.

According to elliott.org, trip insurance should cost between 4% and 8% of the total cost of the trip (10% if you get "cancel for any reason.") The reason there's such variance is that different policies have different deductibles, different maximum payouts, different thresholds for pre-existing conditions and different interpretations as to whether they're the "primary" insurance or the "secondary" insurance.

I am using DVC points......

Can I use any other insurance rather than TravelX in order to cover Pre-exsisting conditions? - and/or Cancel for ANY reason??

I just deposited 2 days ago.

Thanks to anyone w/recent information/experience

I bought the DCL insurance, too. My first cruise and it's a bit overwhelming. Thought letting Disney handle cruise, insurance, air, and transportation would simplify things and give me peace of mind, which is worth a little added expense to me.

I bought the DCL insurance, too. My first cruise and it's a bit overwhelming. Thought letting Disney handle cruise, insurance, air, and transportation would simplify things and give me peace of mind, which is worth a little added expense to me.

Be very careful. If somebody in your family has a pre-existing condition, your peace of mind is misplaced. While other carriers do take care of pre-existing conditions, if you buy within a certain window, Disney does not. It also does not cover air and ground transportation which you arrange yourself.

If someone does have a pre-existing condition (asthma, high blood pressure, etc.), or there is a substantial risk of a trip delay on your air carrier which was not purchased through Disney, if there is still time, I would cancel the Disney insurance and buy from another carrier. If you are more than 30 days past your initial deposit, I would buy CSA travel insurance. http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ has an excellent comparison of several policies, and you can also get great trip insurance information from http://www.insuremytrip.com/ and http://www.squaremouth.com/

We all love Disney here on this board, myself included, but, in my opinion, their insurance does not cover enough to be a good safe bet.

Yes I agree that people should be very careful when buying insurance. Most policies are written by lawyers and are incomprehensible to the average person. Too many insurance companies are absolute weasels and have no intention of paying in full. From what I've read here peopel are paying 5-10% for insurance. This is outrageous. The real cost of providing the insurance is probably closer to 1%. The profit margin on these policies has to be enormous.

If we were going to purchase CSA trip insurance, how soon would we need to purchase it after booking our trip?

Other than PEC and flights, what am I getting screwed on by having DCL insurance? Anything?

If we were going to purchase CSA trip insurance, how soon would we need to purchase it after booking our trip?

That entirely depends.

If you wait to purchase it until sometime around the time of your last payment, and any pre-existing conditions you have do not become worse (and no new pre-existing conditions develop), you can purchase it any time before 24 hours after your last payment, and you will be fine.

If, on the other hand, something new and bad happens (you get scheduled for surgery, get diagnosed with breast cancer, etc.), and you take a "turn for the worse", then you may have a problem.

Me, I would buy it now, because, quite frankly, we have had too many really interesting things happen to us to trust to luck, but others would disagree, and with good reason.

Other than PEC and flights, what am I getting screwed on by having DCL insurance? Anything?

The amount of coverage you receive--in general, it is considerably less under DCL insurance for considerably more money. DCL is still better than nothing, however.

The amount of coverage you receive--in general, it is considerably less under DCL insurance for considerably more money. DCL is still better than nothing, however.

Coverage as far as "we will pay X dollars to fly you out if you cut your arm off in Cabo"?

Lesson learned, next time....

It is always smart to buy insurance from a private vendor. You can purchase some for " cancel for any reason" clause. They do cost more money for that, but if you need things to covered, such as job loss, pet dies, or any other reason NOT covered by Disney plan, those are the best plans. It just depends on your needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter