• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I The Only Dummy To Buy DCL Trip Insurance?

I rarely buy insurance since we live in FL and drive to the port. I do get it for long-distance cruises, like our repos, and I buy it from DCL because I'm too lazy to shop around. The money-transfer clause actually came in handy when we had to cancel our Panama Canal repo for a non-covered reason.

Does Disney say in writing that disney will definitely offer a credit if the insurance doesn't cover the cancellation?

My daughter had a serious bout of depression two years ago and is on meds for it. We managed to fly to Disneyworld for a week this summer with no problems, but we didn't plan it very far in advance, so we could change our plans if she had a relapse. She's been doing very well, and we would like to plan a cruise for next summer out of NY, so we have to book quite a bit in advance.

I am weighing buying Disney trip insurance vs a policy which can be canceled for any reason, although I am also wondering about travelguard platinum, which appears to have some mental illness coverage.

We might be satisfied with what Disney offers if we were guaranteed a credit if we had to cancel/delay the trip due to her having a relapse.

Or trip insurance with a cancel for any reason clause may more suit our needs, even though it is expensive.

We suspect we would see the signs if she was having problems a couple of weeks before the planned trip.

We decided to not buy tuition insurance for her college tuition because it required a two day hospitalization to kick in, and after her hospital stay two years ago we are not going down that route again- she still has nightmares.

(She seems pretty happy now. Loves college, although its only been a few weeks. )

We do plan to buy trip insurance, no matter.

Any advice about which insurance?

Yes, we always get the DCL insurance! I've had to use their cancel for any reason clause and got my cruise moved with no problems at all!

We get insurance through Costco, if you pay for it before the cruise full payment is due, it covers any medical pre-conditions.

Better safe than sorry.

Does Disney say in writing that disney will definitely offer a credit if the insurance doesn't cover the cancellation?

My daughter had a serious bout of depression two years ago and is on meds for it. We managed to fly to Disneyworld for a week this summer with no problems, but we didn't plan it very far in advance, so we could change our plans if she had a relapse. She's been doing very well, and we would like to plan a cruise for next summer out of NY, so we have to book quite a bit in advance.

I am weighing buying Disney trip insurance vs a policy which can be canceled for any reason, although I am also wondering about travelguard platinum, which appears to have some mental illness coverage.

We might be satisfied with what Disney offers if we were guaranteed a credit if we had to cancel/delay the trip due to her having a relapse.

Or trip insurance with a cancel for any reason clause may more suit our needs, even though it is expensive.

We suspect we would see the signs if she was having problems a couple of weeks before the planned trip.

We decided to not buy tuition insurance for her college tuition because it required a two day hospitalization to kick in, and after her hospital stay two years ago we are not going down that route again- she still has nightmares.

(She seems pretty happy now. Loves college, although its only been a few weeks. )

Yes, DCL says in writing that if you buy the insurance they offer and have to cancel a cruise, and the claim is denied by the insurance company, they will give you a full credit for the non-refundable portion of your cruise fare.

Check out the bottom of page 1 of this brochure from the DCL FAQ:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/m...tomizeCruise/Insurance/VacationInsurance1.pdf

If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan, Disney Cruise Line will credit 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future Disney Cruise Line vacation.
Just note that the insurance that DCL offers only covers the items booked through DCL. For instance, if you book your own airfare, it's not covered by DCL's insurance, whereas insurance you buy from outside companies will cover your entire vacation.

Sayhello

Yes, DCL says in writing that if you buy the insurance they offer and have to cancel a cruise and the claim is denied by the insurance company, they will give you a full credit for the non-refundable portion of your cruise fare.

Check out the bottom of page 1 of this brochure from the DCL FAQ:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/m...tomizeCruise/Insurance/VacationInsurance1.pdf

If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan, Disney Cruise Line will credit 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future Disney Cruise Line vacation.
Just note that the insurance that DCL offers only covers the items booked through DCL. For instance, if you book your own airfare, it's not covered by DCL's insurance, whereas insurance you buy from outside companies will cover your entire vacation.

Sayhello

We now buy it, we are not getting any younger and are cruising more and more,gives us peace of mind

We have USAA insurance and just got offered a GREAT rate on travel insurance for our cruise. Even if you are not members, the Travel Insured product is a good one and on their Worldwide Trip Protector plan ----- kids are free!

I searched High and Low for a good travel insurance policy for our cruise and now I'm happy! Only $126 for me and DH for trip cancellation, trip interruption, $50K medical, $500K medical evac, $25K accidental death, and includes preexisiting condition, which is important to us. Also, we can add our non-refundable air fare and WDW hotel costs before the trip at a small increase in the rate.

Hope this information is helpful to all of you fellow cruisers! :love:

We have USAA insurance and just got offered a GREAT rate on travel insurance for our cruise. Even if you are not members, the Travel Insured product is a good one and on their Worldwide Trip Protector plan ----- kids are free!

I searched High and Low for a good travel insurance policy for our cruise and now I'm happy! Only $126 for me and DH for trip cancellation, trip interruption, $50K medical, $500K medical evac, $25K accidental death, and includes preexisiting condition, which is important to us. Also, we can add our non-refundable air fare and WDW hotel costs before the trip at a small increase in the rate.

My dad is a veteran, and we bought the insurance for our next cruise as well. I couldn't agree more with you.

I figure since this thread is included in the "sticky", it's OK to post here (now that I found it)?

We live in WA and therefore canNOT use DCL insurance. So I just bought the Worldwide Trip Protector insurance you mention for our short cruise in February. My MIL is going with us, and has PE conditions, so when I called insuremytrip, TI was what was recommended. Seems pretty good!

The PEC isn't so much for our health, but so we can get money back if SHE has to cancel or leave the trip for a PEC.

I'm reading through the whole policy in chunks; my eyes start crossing otherwise. I like knowing exactly what's included.

THANKS for posting this. We are a military family and love USAA. Did not even think that they would offer/have this. Our last cruise in April we bought the DCL cruise and in hindsight my husband considers it a waste of a few hundred bucks. (and he doesn't want to pay extra $ for it for our next cruise) We are in our 30's and are healthy (no pre-ex conditions) and have two healthy daughters. But, of course, I am still glad we had it because I am just one of those "what if"... people. :eek:

We usually go with something suggested from insuremytrip.com. For this next cruise, we went with Disney insurance. We don't have flights or Hotel rooms to cover, and if we get into any serious trouble, their coverage would work for our needs.

You definitely need to shop around for insurance.

We almost went with Disney's which was going to be $250 but then thought we'd check USAA since we have auto and home insurance with them and they quoted us $78. BIG difference!

All of our cruises have been insured with DCL. Twice my mom has had to cancel at the last min, once cause dad was admitted to the hospital a week before sailing and once cause she was. Got every penny back minus the cost of the insurance. So no complaints in our end.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DCL insurance is fine as long as you don't have pre-existing conditions, or your pre-existing conditions fall within the lookback period. It may be more expensive, but it won't cause you a catastrophically expensive failure. If, however, you have a pre-existing condition which falls within the lookback period, none of your medical or cruise cancellation expenses related to that condition will be paid for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter