ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was hanging out on the CL thread and saw that there are refurbs coming!! We're booked TPV CL in December, so I figured I'd better come back to my fave resort thread on the DIS and stay up to date!! ;)

Hi Jess! :wave2:
Based on Tikiman he doesn't think the room refurbs will start until the new year, but both he & Carlnix have said that a hot tub installation will begin "towards the end of the year", where the premium cabana currently sits. They will also be expanding the pool deck a bit and then enclosing the whole thing with a fence.

And start saving your pennies because the word is Poly DVC is coming! (Tikiman's story is that the GCH will come down & it will be replaced with an Aulani-style building that includes DVC)

Hello Poly experts! :flower3:

I hope you don't mind a few rate related questions. DH and I have finally decided to go big or go home and do the Poly for the next big family trip. He was last there as a 6 or 7 year old (over 40 now) and I was fortunate enough to get Pixie Dusted last year and get to stay for the Princess Half Marathon.

We are THRILLED to share this wonderful resort with our kiddos!

Does anyone remember what your AP or AAA discount rates for the Poly over the past year? I know they are not guaranteed, I know they can be different every year, I know it's all "wait and see" but I'm impatient and trying to ball park a budget!

I have an AP and we are AAA members. In general web searches I have seen discounts from 5%-40% posted in the past, but I cannot remember if the Poly was ever included in those levels.

If you don't mind sharing when and what your discounts were, I would appreciate it.

We are trying to go end of April-May, or possibly open to the summer if rates were dramatically cheaper.

Can't wait to start planning our Poly stay! :lovestruc

We had an AP rate in January that was 40% off. We used a bounce back rate for our June trip. It was 35% off. We have a AAA discount for our October trip, and it is 15%. I'm hoping to be able to switch to an AP rate, but 15% is better than nothing.

Thanks guys! This is great info. You guys are on the ball this morning.

And it looks like I should save for the full amount, and if anything gets discounted it will be a bonus. Pulling for the AP discounts to be nice and generous again this year though! 40-35% would buy some nice extras to spend while we are there! :thumbsup2

But possibly minimum 10% with AAA. I've never booked through them so I wasn't sure what the discounts looked like.

I'm traveling in Feb to the World but staying at AOA possibly (probably) The bounceback offers are usually for the same level of hotels, right? So I may not get a bounceback that would work for the Poly if I stay at a value. Or does it matter? Anyone have experience with bounceback wording?

I also had the AP 40% off in January. Since then the AP rates have been at 20% for Spring and 5% for Summer. The BB was 35% and yes, you can book it for the Poly even if you are at AOA. Assuming the dates you want are available.

I also had the AP 40% off in January. Since then the AP rates have been at 20% for Spring and 5% for Summer. The BB was 35% and yes, you can book it for the Poly even if you are at AOA. Assuming the dates you want are available.

Brilliant! Thank you so much.

Assuming it's offered and available, of course. Fingers crossed for favorable Poly winds to blow my way. :lovestruc

Hi Jess! :wave2:
Based on Tikiman he doesn't think the room refurbs will start until the new year, but both he & Carlnix have said that a hot tub installation will begin "towards the end of the year", where the premium cabana currently sits. They will also be expanding the pool deck a bit and then enclosing the whole thing with a fence.

And start saving your pennies because the word is Poly DVC is coming! (Tikiman's story is that the GCH will come down & it will be replaced with an Aulani-style building that includes DVC)

Interesting and good to know!! Now, I've been hearing rumors about the GCH. Would be bittersweet to see that happen. However, I've been putting off buying because we're a Poly family, but this could change that for sure!!

And it would be fantastic to be able to relax in the hot tub at the Poly!! The pool changes sound exciting! I'll have to go poke around Tikiman's site. ;)

We've been heading down to WDW every May since 2003 (and more recently October as well) and the most we received for an AP discount was 40%. The past few years, it's been more like 25-35% for our dates.
19743F6B639FD744E2C5767022EE7879.png

Hi All! Question for those of you who have rented a cabana. When we visit next year we are definitely planning a resort day - weather permitting. I would like to rent a cabana for that day. Is there any limit on how many people can use the cabana. (I read on a post that the cabanas at the water parks are limited.) We are going to have 6 adults and 4 children. Based on the seating - we can all fit and I am sure that most times people will be coming and going. I really don't want to have to rent 2 cabanas. Our other option is the premium cabana - but that is the same cost as renting 2.

Just an FYI, in Tokelau (and maybe other buildings?? I don't know), the set up is slightly different. There is still just one door and the sink/mirror area is inside the bathroom. However it is next to the toilet (with that small wall between), but against the same wall as the toilet, if that makes sense. Not perpendicular to it. The shower is on the opposite wall opposite the sink. More of a "galley" set up, so-to-speak. Walk in and (depending on the room it is the reverse of this) on the left is the shower and on the right is the sink, vanity long against the right wall. Toilet is in the back right. I hope this is making sense. I doubt this makes any difference to the person who asked, since it's a privacy issue, but just thought I'd point out that the bathrooms are set up differently.

Yes, the set up is slightly different in the Fiji building, just turned around.

Ok CL Friends.... is there a CL Lagoon View room that gets a "partial" view of the castle?

We had 2503 and it has a full view of the castle and a partially obstructed view of Wishes (tree). I loved the location just a few doors down from the lounge but, as I'm sure you know, since it was second floor room it didn't have a balcony.

Yay, 55 more days until we're at the Poly!!! I'm so excited!! :banana:

Hi All! Question for those of you who have rented a cabana. When we visit next year we are definitely planning a resort day - weather permitting. I would like to rent a cabana for that day. Is there any limit on how many people can use the cabana. (I read on a post that the cabanas at the water parks are limited.) We are going to have 6 adults and 4 children. Based on the seating - we can all fit and I am sure that most times people will be coming and going. I really don't want to have to rent 2 cabanas. Our other option is the premium cabana - but that is the same cost as renting 2.

Yes, there is a limit of 6 for the cabanas. I don't know how strictly they enforce that. There is an attendant that comes by fairly frequently to see if you need anything. I don't know if they would keep track or bother to enforce the limit, but they do have one.

Yes, there is a limit of 6 for the cabanas. I don't know how strictly they enforce that. There is an attendant that comes by fairly frequently to see if you need anything. I don't know if they would keep track or bother to enforce the limit, but they do have one.

Last year a family tried to rent the cabana next to us and they were going to split it with another family but they were told there's a 6 person limit.

Can anyone link me to some of the hot-tub/ reno rumors that I've read in this thread? i didn't really see anything on tikiman or even here. Planning for a late feb 2013 trip and don't want to play there if the pool (or more of resort) is going to be down for a major renovation.

ps- where can I find the signature countdown tickers <noob>

Looks like we will be either trying to rent both regular cabanas or the premium? Any idea what the limit on the premium is? And I wonder if the hot tub rumors are true if they will relocate the premium cabana or just get rid of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter