ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're actually quite good with multitasking! ;)
And yes, as catzle said, only an exterior door on the bathroom, no interior divider. The girls are always fine with sharing. Just Daddy is banished or segregated for bathroom time, whatever the case may be.

Glad we're an all girl party!;)

I don't have an issue with people just wandering around & taking things in (only if it impedes on the enjoyment of guests) although, honestly I can't imagine hanging out somewhere like that for a day when I'm not patronizing the establishment (ie. dining/drinking) or a guest. It would be uncomfortable and feel somehow like we shouldn't be there.

That sums it up perfectly IMHO...I couldn't care less who's on the beach or if the people at the next table at the concierge lounge are all paying CL rates.

The only time I get really ticked off is when I can't get a parking spot at the resort I'm paying to stay at because non-Poly guests are using the lot for MK parking. We go in May & October every year when WDW is not at its busiest but we keep running into this problem. If we come back to the Poly around 7 or 8 we'll have a very difficult time finding a spot. I know people dining and coming for the luau take up some of the spots but I really do think the bulk are MK parkers and here's why. One night when I had to park in the 30 min row, I kept going back to see if there were spots available. About 10 minutes before Wishes the lot was still completely full...I went back about 1/2 hr after Wishes and the lot was less than 1/2 full. No-one will ever convince me those were all people with ADRs and luau guests.

Its Daddy that is the "issue" in our scenario too. I guess we'll have to establish ground rules before hand. :)

Poor DH is used to living in a house with four females and only one bathroom! He has learned to adapt & is often an early riser, so normally he's done in the washroom and heading to the lounge or going for a walk before the kids are up and moving. Probably a self-preservation strategy! :rotfl2:

How dare you cut off our debate! :lmao:
The toilet is kind of tucked in behind a little wall. It isn't really visible from the sink and definitely not from the shower, but someone using the toilet would have no privacy from a sound perspective!

Here's a picture I found that shows the layout pretty well:
bathroom-standard-room-garden-view--v662235-640.jpg

Just an FYI, in Tokelau (and maybe other buildings?? I don't know), the set up is slightly different. There is still just one door and the sink/mirror area is inside the bathroom. However it is next to the toilet (with that small wall between), but against the same wall as the toilet, if that makes sense. Not perpendicular to it. The shower is on the opposite wall opposite the sink. More of a "galley" set up, so-to-speak. Walk in and (depending on the room it is the reverse of this) on the left is the shower and on the right is the sink, vanity long against the right wall. Toilet is in the back right. I hope this is making sense. I doubt this makes any difference to the person who asked, since it's a privacy issue, but just thought I'd point out that the bathrooms are set up differently.

Just an FYI, in Tokelau (and maybe other buildings?? I don't know), the set up is slightly different. There is still just one door and the sink/mirror area is inside the bathroom. However it is next to the toilet (with that small wall between), but against the same wall as the toilet, if that makes sense. Not perpendicular to it. The shower is on the opposite wall opposite the sink. More of a "galley" set up, so-to-speak. Walk in and (depending on the room it is the reverse of this) on the left is the shower and on the right is the sink, vanity long against the right wall. Toilet is in the back right. I hope this is making sense. I doubt this makes any difference to the person who asked, since it's a privacy issue, but just thought I'd point out that the bathrooms are set up differently.

But what we're saying is that all the longhouses have just the one door on the bathroom, right? It doesn't really matter for our trip but I just wanted to clarify.:)

Decided that 4 nights at the Poly just wasn't enough so we added an extra night!!:cool1:

It's still not enough but what are you gonna do? ;)

2 weeks to go!!! YAY!!!! :cool1:

Can you all please refresh my memory.. how can we get to the MK as we have an 8:05 adr inside MK. I don't believe the boat launch starts until 8am, and I am not fond of the resort monorail but I guess it's our only option, unless we walk over to TTC and hop on the MK Ferry???

ALso, are the monorails still operating one hour after park closing or after EMH?

Honestly I could be considered a Poly elitist as when I stay at the Poly I only stay concierge and all but one of the times Lagoon View so you know I wasn't paying bottom of the barrel prices. My shortest visit was four nights and my longest 8 with most being in the 6 night visit. I can't say for sure how many times I have stayed there but my best guess is 6-8 times.

I have always heard from Disney that a Disney guest is any person who is on property to enjoy the resort (not to harm it) whether it be the parks, the transportations, the resorts or just driving through enjoying the scenery.

I think those who want the Poly for themselves better not venture over to the GF to enjoy the ammenties of their lobby (the Big Band, the piano player, or the GF Gingerbread house)...it's all the same...just think of those poor GF guests who can't get a seat in their own lobby at Christmas due to all the visitors to the resort.

No visiting AKL on a "themeparkless" visit to get a peek at the animals as that is an ammenity of the AKL then...etc and so forth.

No visits to the Boardwalk; that entertainment is just for them!

The Poly is a popular resort due to its real estate and the it's just the way it is.

Oh and my concierge visits began when I was invited into the concierge lounge by a guest there and the concierge invited us to stay and have desserts and enjoy the fireworks. It had us hooked. And many would say we had no right to be there despite the invitation by concierge.

It's something to think about - the perk visits go both ways.

Liz

I agree with this 100%. :thumbsup2

Got to agree with Liz! Some of the previous posts on this thread have caused me to stop and take pause.
We have been going to the Poly since my kids(in their 30's now) were ages 6, 7, and 10. Now we go with grand kids in tow as well.
We consider ourselves regulars to the Poly for most of the last
23 years with a few stops in between to BC/BW or POP. IMO, more people probably stay at the Poly whether they can afford it or not. ( our case most times!) Its simply a matter of loving it as home! During the times we do not stay there we make it a point to "visit" the Poly at least once to get something to eat at Captain Cook's and sit around a table or on the beach for Wishes.
Never have we jumped into the pool in all these years. My birthday is July 3 and we have spent many 4th of July's at the Poly. I have seen the pool area filled and the beaches the same and never once looked around to see who belonged there. It really never mattered to me as long as no one was blocking my view! Every Disney guest has a story of how they
got their family to Disney. I never considered staying at the Poly an entitlement but rather a vacation for my family to enjoy. If others can enjoy it as well with their families --- who I am to judge if they belong? Let us hope the enclosed access to the pool area doesn't ruin the beauty of a place we all love. :grouphug:
PS. We just stayed at the Poly the week before and after Memorial Day Weekend. No wristbands were distributed even one day and it was crowded during the day and at night. The staff was wonderful and all had a good time.

Good post Mom!

We arrive Monday first timers for our 30th wedding anniversary.
Couple questions:
we booked thru aaa do we still need to check in before hand?
best way to get to downtown Disney from poly?
anyone know how big the Mini-fridge is in the rooms?
Anything else I need to know before hand?
Thanks

jkbuf said:

If you have a car, I'd drive. If not, then take the bus that runs between DTD and Poly.

Others here are more qualified to answer the rest. Have a great stay, and Happy 30th!

We arrive Monday first timers for our 30th wedding anniversary.
Couple questions:
we booked thru aaa do we still need to check in before hand?
anyone know how big the Mini-fridge is in the rooms?
Anything else I need to know before hand?
Thanks

Congratulations on your 30th!

You never have to check in before hand. On-line check in is optional (if that is what you are referring to by "checking in before hand") If you don't do on-line check in it just takes a little longer at the desk because they won't have your cards ready ahead of time and there is often more of a line for the regular check in.

Definitely drive or take a cab to DTD if you can. The bus can be painfully slow.

The mini-fridge is the same as a normal small bar fridge, probably about 30" high & 18" wide. They usually struggle to keep things cold because of poor air circulation due to the cabinet. If you leave the cabinet doors open it will work a lot better! :thumbsup2

We took the bus to downtown disney and did not have any problems. Actually it was the quickest we had ever had. We just got back on Monday, we were there for 10 days.

We actually took the boat to MK more then we ever had. It is a quick shot across and beats walking all the way up to the monorail.

maiapapaya said:
How dare you cut off our debate! :lmao:
The toilet is kind of tucked in behind a little wall. It isn't really visible from the sink and definitely not from the shower, but someone using the toilet would have no privacy from a sound perspective!

Here's a picture I found that shows the layout pretty well:

The picture says it all for me. I showed hubby and he has agreed its manageable. Thanks to everyone that's been responding to my inquiries.

Thanks for the reply
36 hours and counting

Congratulations on your 30th!

You never have to check in before hand. On-line check in is optional (if that is what you are referring to by "checking in before hand") If you don't do on-line check in it just takes a little longer at the desk because they won't have your cards ready ahead of time and there is often more of a line for the regular check in.

Definitely drive or take a cab to DTD if you can. The bus can be painfully slow.

The mini-fridge is the same as a normal small bar fridge, probably about 30" high & 18" wide. They usually struggle to keep things cold because of poor air circulation due to the cabinet. If you leave the cabinet doors open it will work a lot better! :thumbsup2

So, I was hanging out on the CL thread and saw that there are refurbs coming!! We're booked TPV CL in December, so I figured I'd better come back to my fave resort thread on the DIS and stay up to date!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter