• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the same for us as well. The only reason I go to other resorts is for a quick shop check or for dinner. You won't find me loitering in the lobby or hanging out on the grounds and I will say for the most part, I think this applies to most MK Deluxe resort guests. We choose the resort to enjoy it.

:thumbsup2

DS was asking about the CBR pool because last time we stayed there he was too small for the slides. I would never even dream of spending the day at their pool as a day visitor! The only exception I see is resorts don't have marina rentals. Like if an ASMu guest wanted to rent a boat or a Sea Raycer because their resort doesn't offer them.

This is the same for us as well. The only reason I go to other resorts is for a quick shop check or for dinner. You won't find me loitering in the lobby or hanging out on the grounds and I will say for the most part, I think this applies to most MK Deluxe resort guests. We choose the resort to enjoy it.

I agree with this. We have been staying at the Poly since 1996, and the problems seem to continue to get worse. When we first started staying there it was much less busy. We stay at the Poly because it is the resort that we love, and we don't feel the need to hang out at other resorts.

maiapapaya said:
It's unfortunate that this is always the fallback line of someone who disagrees with people on issues like this. You have no idea of other people's financial standing, whether they scrimp & save to enjoy the resort of their choice, but if they dare have the opinion that the amentities of a resort should be for the guests of the resort (as opposed to patrons of the shops for example or locals who drop by for some freebie WDW fun) you accuse them of thinking you are dirt and them of being snobs. What is wrong with thinking that the pool or hula lessons or bonfire are intended for the overnight guests only? I would never have dinner at the local Delta then take my kids in to do crafts in the kids' club (which is free there for guests, not a paid facility like the Neverland club) ...

The pool should only be for people paying to stay at the resort. I feel the same for the organized activities.

I never have an issue with other people enjoying the grounds or watching the fireworks from the beach. However, on occasions such as the 4th I do think it's really unfair for people who have paid to stay at the resort get crowded out of the beach by anyone who just decides to show up, day visitors, people from other resorts, locals, etc. If the beach viewing is supposed to be just for guests, the policy should be enforced. Whether there is a policy is the big question.

I have a big problem if people know they maybe shouldn't be there, but don't care because it's not enforced (my attitude has been aggravated by my SIL who lives near WDW and is very proud of the fact that they frequent Disney pools and have "crashed every single one except BC & the Poly" :mad:) Again, this is a grey area with the 4th & NYE. I think a big problem that Poly peeps have in trying to defend this stance is the attitude that others have about this "too bad, I don't give a crap if you're staying there and if you've paid to be at a particular resort and mobs of people are impeding on your enjoyment of that resort, I have every right to be there as much as you."

I think you have a great idea here Liz. I know they kind of rope off an area, but I don't think it's enough. I think a good compromise could be reached by making a better marked, bigger cordoned off area, to guarantee that there is a spot for guests of the resort, but then also create an area for those not staying at the Poly, maybe the beach over by Luau Cove? This would also ease crowding around the main pool area (which will be interesting when the pool fence goes in and that whole area around the pool deck won't be available for standing).

And for the record we never hang out at other resorts either. We do dine there and in doing so stopped once to take a picture of the gingerbread house at the GF, but that's it. It would never occur to me to trek out to AKL to see the animals, or pull up a chair in the GF lobby to listen to the band ... If I want to enjoy the perks of a particular resort that is where I am probably going to book.

Okay, waying in on this topic...we have eaten at different hotels..animal kingdom, contemp., grand floridian...we eat and check out the shops..that is it. It wouldnt dawn on me to check out pools, animals etc....to me, it isnt my hotel to enjoy....
I would think it would be a nice gesture to have a roped area for guests at the poly (and those who have eated at the restaurants) to have a roped area....the rest can have whatever area is left (we havent been to the poly yet (this sept.). Sort of like what they do for fantasmic...we shall see if we get into fantasmic this year as we didnt do any of the restaurants...
I understand that some would think they are entitled to use all pools when staying at a disney resort...should disney do a wristband policy when you stay at a resort...blue for value hotels, red for moderate and green for the pricier hotels..but, who would monitor the wrist bands...tough one...it is like magic hours....i dont think they monitor it that carefully....

Okay, waying in on this topic...we have eaten at different hotels..animal kingdom, contemp., grand floridian...we eat and check out the shops..that is it. It wouldnt dawn on me to check out pools, animals etc....to me, it isnt my hotel to enjoy....
I would think it would be a nice gesture to have a roped area for guests at the poly (and those who have eated at the restaurants) to have a roped area....the rest can have whatever area is left (we havent been to the poly yet (this sept.). Sort of like what they do for fantasmic...we shall see if we get into fantasmic this year as we didnt do any of the restaurants...
I understand that some would think they are entitled to use all pools when staying at a disney resort...should disney do a wristband policy when you stay at a resort...blue for value hotels, red for moderate and green for the pricier hotels..but, who would monitor the wrist bands...tough one...it is like magic hours....i dont think they monitor it that carefully....

Actually the wristbanding for the pools is already used at BC and occassionally by the Poly. It's the lifeguards that monitor. So it can be done. WDW just chooses not to bother.

Again, with the fireworks viewing it's really just a big problem during the 3/4th of July & NYE. It think it could be handled a lot better than it traditionally has. Really it would just be organization and the will of management to enforce it (ie. restricted or separate areas or whatever).

Honestly I could be considered a Poly elitist as when I stay at the Poly I only stay concierge and all but one of the times Lagoon View so you know I wasn't paying bottom of the barrel prices. My shortest visit was four nights and my longest 8 with most being in the 6 night visit. I can't say for sure how many times I have stayed there but my best guess is 6-8 times.

I have always heard from Disney that a Disney guest is any person who is on property to enjoy the resort (not to harm it) whether it be the parks, the transportations, the resorts or just driving through enjoying the scenery.

I think those who want the Poly for themselves better not venture over to the GF to enjoy the ammenties of their lobby (the Big Band, the piano player, or the GF Gingerbread house)...it's all the same...just think of those poor GF guests who can't get a seat in their own lobby at Christmas due to all the visitors to the resort.

No visiting AKL on a "themeparkless" visit to get a peek at the animals as that is an ammenity of the AKL then...etc and so forth.

No visits to the Boardwalk; that entertainment is just for them!

The Poly is a popular resort due to its real estate and the it's just the way it is.

Oh and my concierge visits began when I was invited into the concierge lounge by a guest there and the concierge invited us to stay and have desserts and enjoy the fireworks. It had us hooked. And many would say we had no right to be there despite the invitation by concierge.

It's something to think about - the perk visits go both ways.

Liz

Got to agree with Liz! Some of the previous posts on this thread have caused me to stop and take pause.
We have been going to the Poly since my kids(in their 30's now) were ages 6, 7, and 10. Now we go with grand kids in tow as well.
We consider ourselves regulars to the Poly for most of the last
23 years with a few stops in between to BC/BW or POP. IMO, more people probably stay at the Poly whether they can afford it or not. ( our case most times!) Its simply a matter of loving it as home! During the times we do not stay there we make it a point to "visit" the Poly at least once to get something to eat at Captain Cook's and sit around a table or on the beach for Wishes.
Never have we jumped into the pool in all these years. My birthday is July 3 and we have spent many 4th of July's at the Poly. I have seen the pool area filled and the beaches the same and never once looked around to see who belonged there. It really never mattered to me as long as no one was blocking my view! Every Disney guest has a story of how they
got their family to Disney. I never considered staying at the Poly an entitlement but rather a vacation for my family to enjoy. If others can enjoy it as well with their families --- who I am to judge if they belong? Let us hope the enclosed access to the pool area doesn't ruin the beauty of a place we all love. :grouphug:
PS. We just stayed at the Poly the week before and after Memorial Day Weekend. No wristbands were distributed even one day and it was crowded during the day and at night. The staff was wonderful and all had a good time.

Got to agree with Liz! Some of the previous posts on this thread have caused me to stop and take pause.
We have been going to the Poly since my kids(in their 30's now) were ages 6, 7, and 10. Now we go with grand kids in tow as well.
We consider ourselves regulars to the Poly for most of the last
23 years with a few stops in between to BC/BW or POP. IMO, more people probably stay at the Poly whether they can afford it or not. ( our case most times!) Its simply a matter of loving it as home! During the times we do not stay there we make it a point to "visit" the Poly at least once to get something to eat at Captain Cook's and sit around a table or on the beach for Wishes.
Never have we jumped into the pool in all these years. My birthday is July 3 and we have spent many 4th of July's at the Poly. I have seen the pool area filled and the beaches the same and never once looked around to see who belonged there. It really never mattered to me as long as no one was blocking my view! Every Disney guest has a story of how they
got their family to Disney. I never considered staying at the Poly an entitlement but rather a vacation for my family to enjoy. If others can enjoy it as well with their families --- who I am to judge if they belong? Let us hope the enclosed access to the pool area doesn't ruin the beauty of a place we all love. :grouphug:
PS. We just stayed at the Poly the week before and after Memorial Day Weekend. No wristbands were distributed even one day and it was crowded during the day and at night. The staff was wonderful and all had a good time.

Well first happy belated birthday and secondly what a wonderful post and point of view. I think those of us (and based on what you have said above) who have been Disney regulars since well the Contemporary and Poly were the only hotels have found that Disney has so much more to offer than a visit just to your one and only resort. I find what makes it great for us now is that despite the fact we have visited for years and now have a local residence we find something new or different to do each and every time we are there - whether it be in the parks, a new eating venue, a new activity or a new resort event. I still have things on my list we haven't done! I am just finishing off two weeks with my niece and nephew here and our new activity including beating Hades in the Sorceror of the Kingdom game, riding the new Dumbo and checking out the new Fantasyland area. At the Poly the CM there pulled my niece into an activity that involved what looked like balls (think he said it was just newspaper) on ropes and learning to twirl them. Last month our new activity was trying out one of the Royal rooms at the PO-- those are lovely btw. I still have the Campfire at Fort Wilderness on my to do list but just tooooooo hot right now!

Liz

I really don't see why thinking amenties at ANY resort, value or deluxe, Disney or not should be for overnight guests staying at that resort gives me an un-"wonderful attitude". (I know your comments weren't directed towards me specifically, but I get the feeling that both your comments are intended to judge most of us who have posted on this subject). Come for a meal, enjoy the grounds, even enjoy the fireworks (as long as the guests of the resort aren't being impeded from enjoying their stay), anything else, I personally don't think is right. If it wasn't Disney would you have the same attitude? Is it ok to head on over to Universal and hang out all day at one of their resorts if you're not a guest? Would you do it at your local Holiday Inn?

Just because this is a Poly thread and it's a deluxe resort people automatically assume you're a snobby, elitist for thinking that others shouldn't have a free run of the perks of that resort. Would you be posting the same in a POR thead or ASMu?

I personally am not be ok with not being about to enjoy our resort's pool or other amenties if they're overflowing with people who aren't staying there when I've paid a lot of money to take my family on their only vaction of the year. I don't care if it's the Poly or GF or CBR or ***. And I'm pretty sure when you were there nonnasally and the pool was "crowded during the day and night" not everyone was "having a good time." Maybe the locals who rolled in for the day or people from other resorts who were enjoying the volcano pool, but not likely the majority of the Poly guests who couldn't find a seat.

I really don't see why thinking amenties at ANY resort, value or deluxe, Disney are not should be for overnight guests staying at that resort gives me an un-"wonderful attitude". (I know your comments weren't directed towards me specifically, but I get the feeling that both your comments are intended to judge most of us who have posted on this subject). Come for a meal, enjoy the grounds, even enjoy the fireworks (as long as the guests of the resort aren't being impeded from enjoying their stay), anything else, I personally don't think is right. If it wasn't Disney would you have the same attitude? Is it ok to head on over to Universal and hang out all day at one of their resorts if you're not a guest? Would you do it at your local Holiday Inn?

Just because this is a Poly thread and it's a deluxe resort people automatically assume you're a snobby, elitist for thinking that others shouldn't have a free run of the perks of that resort. Would you be posting the same in a POR thead or ASMu?

I personally am not be ok with not being about to enjoy our resort's pool or other amenties if they're overflowing with people who aren't staying there when I've paid a lot of money to take my family on their only vaction of the year. I don't care if it's the Poly or GF or CBR or ***. And I'm pretty sure when you were there nonnasally and the pool was "crowded during the day and night" not everyone was "having a good time." Maybe the locals who rolled in for the day or people from other resorts who were enjoying the volcano pool, but not likely the majority of the Poly guests who couldn't find a seat.

Actually many people do head over the Gaylord Palms here in Orlando or the Opryland Hotels in TN just to enjoy the hotel as day guests. I was at Portofino Bay last week and there are all sorts of shops; and in fact they have a coupon flyer they hand out for coupons to use at any of the three Universal Resorts so yes I guess it is ok for people to do that. In Chicago many people drop into a downtown hotel for a drink or just some cool air on a hot day like today. The hospitality industry pretty much does encourage guests to come, visit, sit, spend, and enjoy across the board. The only exceptions that I can think of off the bat (but I am sure there are others) are the all inclusive resorts where everything is included and you do wear a wristband for your entire trip (ick). The Atlantis in the Bahamas has made an industry out of day guests. The Del Coronado in California is another hotel with spectacular views and day visitors are encouraged.

Again, I am not including the Disney resort pools in this hotel hospitality.

Liz

Actually many people do head over the Gaylord Palms here in Orlando or the Opryland Hotels in TN just to enjoy the hotel as day guests. I was at Portofino Bay last week and there are all sorts of shops; and in fact they have a coupon flyer they hand out for coupons to use at any of the three Universal Resorts so yes I guess it is ok for people to do that. In Chicago many people drop into a downtown hotel for a drink or just some cool air on a hot day like today. The hospitality industry pretty much does encourage guests to come, visit, sit, spend, and enjoy across the board. The only exceptions that I can think of off the bat (but I am sure there are others) are the all inclusive resorts where everything is included and you do wear a wristband for your entire trip (ick). The Atlantis in the Bahamas has made an industry out of day guests. The Del Coronado in California is another hotel with spectacular views and day visitors are encouraged.

Again, I am not including the Disney resort pools in this hotel hospitality.

Liz

I said "come for a meal ..." . I'm not talking about visiting a bar, a restaurant or shop. I've said in other posts we often dine at other resorts. I'm talking about the other amenities that people aren't paying for such as the pool (referring to nonnasally's comments) and planned recreational type activities. Again, I would never go hang out at the pool or partake in other activities planned for hotel guests at another resort, Disney or not. That's what I'm talking about.

When you say people head over to these hotels as "day guests" does that mean they pay to use the facilities or do they just go and hang out for free? That's what I'm saying I don't think is right, ie. to roll into a place where you haven't paid to stay with the intention of enjoying an afternoon in the pool, doing the kids' activities, etc. I believe those types of things are intended for paying guests, regardless of where it is.

Sorry for jumping in but I've got a got a bathroom question :goodvibes

When I look at the room maps I see that the bathroom is set up a bit unusually (in my opinion). From what I see the toilet is behind the sink(s) but still visible from the sink/shower area. And there is only one door to the bathroom which separates it from the rest of the room. Am I looking at this correct? With this arrangement only one person can use bathroom at a time. You won't have the luxury of having someone use the toilet and then someone else putting on make-up.

Is this really as weird as it looks? Can someone tell me about their experience and how their family makes use of the bathroom.

The bathroom is located inside the volcano so to speak behind the waterfall. There are many stalls in there with many sinks.

Back to the fence thing, when are they doing that. I would not like that it would take away from the feeling of the pool. I hope they change their mind.

oops thought you were talking about the pool.

Yes, the toilet is behind the sink. But one person can be "going" and another one can be at the sink and even a third in the shower if you wanted. The bathroom is large enough.

No not the pools I have never advocated that. Day guests where they visit the hotel, take in the magnificent lobbies, aquariums, floral gardens , the piano player that is just out in the lobby and not connected to a bar (whatever the hotel is famous for). Eating shopping may be involved but not necessarily so. Resort and hotel visiting is done across the country and the world and is not limited to Disney hotels.

Sorry for jumping in but I've got a got a bathroom question :goodvibes

When I look at the room maps I see that the bathroom is set up a bit unusually (in my opinion). From what I see the toilet is behind the sink(s) but still visible from the sink/shower area. And there is only one door to the bathroom which separates it from the rest of the room. Am I looking at this correct? With this arrangement only one person can use bathroom at a time. You won't have the luxury of having someone use the toilet and then someone else putting on make-up.

Is this really as weird as it looks? Can someone tell me about their experience and how their family makes use of the bathroom.

How dare you cut off our debate! :lmao:
The toilet is kind of tucked in behind a little wall. It isn't really visible from the sink and definitely not from the shower, but someone using the toilet would have no privacy from a sound perspective!

Here's a picture I found that shows the layout pretty well:
bathroom-standard-room-garden-view--v662235-640.jpg

oops thought you were talking about the pool.

Yes, the toilet is behind the sink. But one person can be "going" and another one can be at the sink and even a third in the shower if you wanted. The bathroom is large enough.

I'm not concerned about size so much as privacy. So there is only one door? If someone is having a movement of sorts on the toilet I would assume that the other people "sharing" would be able to experience this as well.

I know you all want to move back to the pool/beach conundrum but hopefully there is room here for several topics simultaneously.

Any help or experience on this from anyone that's stayed at the Poly with their family is appreciated.

No not the pools I have never advocated that. Day guests where they visit the hotel, take in the magnificent lobbies, aquariums, floral gardens , the piano player that is just out in the lobby and not connected to a bar (whatever the hotel is famous for). Eating shopping may be involved but not necessarily so. Resort and hotel visiting is done across the country and the world and is not limited to Disney hotels.

I don't have an issue with people just wandering around & taking things in (only if it impedes on the enjoyment of guests) although, honestly I can't imagine hanging out somewhere like that for a day when I'm not patronizing the establishment (ie. dining/drinking) or a guest. It would be uncomfortable and feel somehow like we shouldn't be there.

I'm not concerned about size so much as privacy. So there is only one door? If someone is having a movement of sorts on the toilet I would assume that the other people "sharing" would be able to experience this as well.

I know you all want to move back to the pool/beach conundrum but hopefully there is room here for several topics simultaneously.

Any help or experience on this from anyone that's stayed at the Poly with their family is appreciated.

We're actually quite good with multitasking! ;)
And yes, as catzle said, only an exterior door on the bathroom, no interior divider. The girls are always fine with sharing. Just Daddy is banished or segregated for bathroom time, whatever the case may be.

maiapapaya said:
And yes, as catzle said, only an exterior door on the bathroom, no interior divider. The girls are always fine with sharing. Just Daddy is banished or segregated for bathroom time, whatever the case may be.

Its Daddy that is the "issue" in our scenario too. I guess we'll have to establish ground rules before hand. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter